Reopening Schools

222,959 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's sad to see pediatricians kowtow to teacher's unions.
ETFan
Keegan99 said:

I thought it was a fairly reasoned response? Instead of "get back in school" they've amended to "kids really need to be back in school, but let science lead the way and a one size fits all probably won't work."

Now, will it go down like that? We'll see...
murphyag
AG
ETFan said:

Keegan99 said:

I thought it was a fairly reasoned response? Instead of "get back in school" they've amended to "kids really need to be back in school, but let science lead the way and a one size fits all probably won't work."

I agree with what you said. I don't think they are kowtowing to teacher's unions at all. They are making it known that science needs to be followed and safety measures put in place. That is the only way opening schools will be successful and not in a constant open/shutdown cycle. This is a public health issue. Time to take the politics out of it.
nai06
AG
culdeus said:

nai06 said:

culdeus said:

302 seems high. Don't know that 302 school aged kids have even died worldwide yet.

The real issue is teachers striking over conditions. Could easily see 302 Texas teachers dying.

Teachers won't/can't strike.

We would permanently lose our license and forfeit any money we have paid into our retirement.

You need better lawyers. Jmo

I don't disagree, but Its hard to overturn state law especially when the majority of the legislature isn't on your side.
culdeus
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I think they will allow an in-person option but from what I have heard there is concern they will be quick to revert back to online. We will see.

How is that "not supportive"
Aust Ag
AG
88planoAg said:

discussion on friend's FB page has a response from someone who appears to live in California. Her district just announced that they wouldn't have in person school until the case count in the county was zero for 7 days. They currently have 87 cases.
That's ridiculous. Looking for a perfect world, it ain't happening.
tysker
AG
murphyag said:

ETFan said:

Keegan99 said:

I agree with what you said. I don't think they are kowtowing to teacher's unions at all. They are making it known that science needs to be followed and safety measures put in place. That is the only way opening schools will be successful and not in a constant open/shutdown cycle. This is a public issue. Time to take the politics out of it.

Is there science backing up the need for proposed safety measures or for having an open/shutdown cycle? If not, then that decision is purely political.
ag009
AG
Has anyone's district provided information on the million dollar question on what happens when a student or teacher tests positive? Does the whole class go home for 14 days? Is a negative test required to come back?

Charpie
AG
I'm attending the school board meeting tonight for my ISD. I'll report back what they say.
Keegan99
AG
Vernada
AG
katlong said:

Has anyone's district provided information on the million dollar question on what happens when a student or teacher tests positive? Does the whole class go home for 14 days? Is a negative test required to come back?

2 negative tests or 14 days.

Who's paying for the teacher to take those tests? Does the teacher have to use unpaid leave?

Seems like in our isd they said the entire class would start remote learning the following day for the two week period.

But things are changing so quickly who knows.
rojo_ag
AG
Vernada said:

katlong said:

2 negative tests or 14 days.

Who's paying for the teacher to take those tests? Does the teacher have to use unpaid leave?

Seems like in our isd they said the entire class would start remote learning the following day for the two week period.

But things are changing so quickly who knows.
Per my district's guidelines, if we are experiencing any Covid 19 symptoms including coughing or a runny nose/congestion either before school or during classes, we are suppose to stay/go home and contact Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources for the absence and the next steps.

If experiencing ANY Covid related symptoms we have to meet the following criteria to return to campus:

1. Diagnosed with Covid: Three days have passed sense recovery (no fever); Improvement of symptoms; ten days have passed since symptoms first appeared.

2. With symptoms but does not get evaluated or tested: Assumed to have Covid and must meet conditions for

3. Has symptoms but does not want to wait to meet conditions: must consult with a doctor, be giving medical clearance based on an alternative diagnosis, and grant approval to return to work by HR.

If someone in the household EXPERIENCES symptoms related to Covid and tests positive or not the employee must self isolate and meet the criteria in number 1.

No guidance in how this is going to be paid for. No explanation of what will happen if exposed on campus. No guidance on PTO and what happens when leave is exhausted.
Vernada
AG
Keegan99 said:

That's great news. But I'm guessing they had already a lull in overall cases - something we certainly don't have going for us right now.
cc_ag92
AG
Any idea who teaches your class if you stay home with symptoms?
GinaLinetti
AG
I can tell you it won't be the 50+ year old subs that work in my area. It was already next to impossible to get a sub for a single sick day. Add on Covid and we are going to be sol. I've been trying to get a sub for a September wedding, and the 10 or so subs I've spoken to aren't subbing til this all blows over.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm expecting to have many of my planning periods taken away this year covering other classes.
Tabasco
AG

Fort Bend ISD
@FortBendISD
Fort Bend ISD will begin the 2020-21 School Year 100% online in order to give students, parents and staff an opportunity to adjust to online learning and safety procedures. No in-person extracurriculars will occur during this period of distance learning.
GinaLinetti
AG
Ditto, though as a special Ed teacher, I figured I'd be teleteaching with those who chose to stay home during that time. We are hoping to hear more about procedures and what things will look like in the next week or so. Our district isn't scheduled to start until 8/24 so we have a little time
rojo_ag
AG
cc_ag92 said:

What Bruce said.
jah003
S
cc_ag92 said:

The smartest kid.
BSD
AG
Tabasco said:

...will begin the 2020-21 School Year 100% online in order to give students, parents and staff an opportunity to adjust to online learning and safety procedures.

Isn't that what we did March thru June?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
BSD said:

Tabasco said:

...will begin the 2020-21 School Year 100% online in order to give students, parents and staff an opportunity to adjust to online learning and safety procedures.

Not sure about your district, but what was called "online learning" was pretty minimal for the last part of last school year here. If they go online this year, it is going to be more regimented and have more accountability. So it won't be anything like March through June was here.

There were a lot of parents here that didn't even make their kids do their assignments from home. Wife and I were curious why they didn't collect their ChromeBooks up at the end of the school year. Now I know why.
cone
AG
lol it's going to be the same exact ****show

don't kid yourself
Player To Be Named Later
AG
cone said:

don't kid yourself
Yeah, I'm fairly positive the "But muh libuhrtees are trampled by a mask" crowd will refuse to make their kids do any of that "skool book lurnin' at home" stuff either.

And that's how we'll make another generation of those fools.
tysker
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

BSD said:

Tabasco said:

Not sure about your district, but what was called "online learning" was pretty minimal for the last part of last school year here. If they go online this year, it is going to be more regimented and have more accountability. So it won't be anything like March through June was here.

There were a lot of parents here that didn't even make their kids do their assignments from home. Wife and I were curious why they didn't collect their ChromeBooks up at the end of the school year. Now I know why.
Children learn no new material after the practice STAAR and even less after.

With full blown online learning I'm wondering if parents will have to confront how little education/instruction some students are actually receiving. We'll see obviously but when your kids are in school its wery much 'out of sight out of mind' for parents. There was plenty of rumbling among parents in our neighborhood about the lack of schooling the kids received during April and May, and it wasnt because the students were online but instead that just how the system works.

And if you remove extracurriculars from the picture for MS/JH and HS kids.... I wonder, if school isnt "back to normal" how many parents with means will pull their children out for better options
Fenrir
Lol, you truly have a dizzying intellect if you think those two populations overlap completely.
Bassmaster
AG

cone said:

don't kid yourself
Yeah, I'm fairly positive the "But muh libuhrtees are trampled by a mask" crowd will refuse to make their kids do any of that "skool book lurnin' at home" stuff either.

Or we do that by requiring on-line school when parent(s) have jobs to do that are kind of important for the well-being of the family.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Fenrir said:

Lol, you truly have a dizzying intellect if you think those two populations overlap completely.
There's no such thing as "completely". But in my area, those two groups seem quite conjoined.
tysker
AG

cone said:

don't kid yourself

Even my soon to be JH student recognizes that some of the "safety" protocols being considered by ISDs across the state (social distancing in classrooms, mask requirements, no talking in hallways, lunches eaten socially distanced in a classroom, staggered hallways or not changing classrooms at all) further make schools look like prisons. My daughter even said, 'I dont want to go if it's going to look like juvie.'
jenn96
AG
My second grader won't sit in front of a computer for 4 hours a day even to watch you tube and she's supposed to do that while being taught an extremely boring curriculum by a remote teacher with no physical interaction? She hated online school in the spring and we were lucky to get in an hour a day and she resisted every minute of it.

I work full time and barely hung onto my job in the spring when "we were all in this together" and my boss and coworkers were very understanding about my limited productivity. I'm back in the office now and I feel confident in saying they won't be very sympathetic now that's it's "the new normal". They'll wonder why they're paying me to not work my job indefinitely (sorry, 2 more weeks).
cone
AG
you seem to have a cultural archetype you feel comfortable punching down upon
P.U.T.U
AG
I am amazed at the scare tactics people are using now, one is not looking at the numbers per age group (out of 22,000 kids with a death rate of 0.65% that means in one district 142 kids will die, are we going to memorialize every one of them for sending them to their graves. Yeah now try it with the correct IFR and it is less than one), the other is they read unverified stories about how half of the cases will have long term lung issues, and the other is how quick kids spread it with all of their germs and not playing with their mask. People are just lazy or seeing the numbers they think will fit their narrative. They are forgetting that around 65% of families have both parents working and cannot teach their kids and while doing their job.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
cone said:

you seem to have a cultural archetype you feel comfortable punching down upon
Feel free to tell me what that cultural "archetype" is and I'll tell you if you're right or not.

But go ahead and tell me I like to punch down on "dumb redneck, conservatives". I'm an ag major that lives in the unincorporated county with about 15 chickens, 6 ducks, a few dogs, couple turkeys.... and I've never voted democrat (ok, once for Brazos County Sheriff in college) and I voted for Trump.

So please tell me what cultural archetype you feel I'm biased against.
tysker
AG
Overarching questions that teachers and admins have yet to answer:

Very broadly speaking, if online education >= classroom education then why hasn't an online program already been at least partially installed, offered and utilized? (And I wont even get into the homeschool, unschooling, being at least as good so give me back my tax dollars issue.)

If online education < classroom education, are the health and safety benefits important enough to offset the negative academics results?
cone
AG
the one you seem completely hung up on

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.