Reopening Schools

223,012 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
chap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes it is incredibly foolish which is why it is nothing close to what TEA actually said. I don't know what Abbott was thinking but he made it sound like he was referring to the TEA guidelines but he wasn't. I don't know if he was confused, just misspoke, or what. But a lot of folks are running with that quote and freaking out. As has already been said Abbott has been a mess on this. His office needs to correct what he said in this interview.
Bonfired
AG
SpringAg92 said:

Here is the text from the video that was posted:

"For schools across the state, if anyone in that school tests positive, that school will close down for five days to clear out the school, to sanitize it, to make it clear and clean for students return," Abbott said.

If that's the standard going forward, then we might as well not even bother with the charade of trying to go back to school in person. That is weapons-grade asinine, and should not be even remotely considered for implementation.
RGV AG
AG
That closing for 5 days BS, they don't even do that for cases of TB.

There is 0.00% of opening schools if that is the policy and what is put into place. The costs associated with this are exponentially high and it is a non-workable scenario.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Thanks above for the link. I watched it. I don't know how Abbott could manage this any worse. As stated above, its not in the TEA guidelines, and he should publicly correct what he said.

He also stated that there have been outbreaks with athletes. Where is this, what data, what schools. I have not seen this anywhere. He is such a screw up. Yes, with colleges, but none that I am aware with HS kids. The context of the question was UIL, not college. I have read plenty of HS S&C shutting down, but not due to outbreaks within the athletes. Virtually all of the shutdowns were the same "out of an abundance of caution" nonsense.

I guess we know where he is getting his guidance, SW Dallas?
88planoAg
AG
SIAP but UIL said it is a-ok to choose remote school and still be eligible to participate in UIL activities.

People in my district are using this to pressure the district, which they claim is discriminating against families who choose the virtual school option by not allowing extracurriculars. They allege the district is forcing them to in person school.

Idk if the UIL policy becomes a mandate for schools to follow. Anyone know?

And I very much don't understand the parents who are too worried to send their kids to school but want them eligible to participate in marching band. wtf?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
agreed on the "wtf" I am confident those same parents will start *****ing about the protocols of whatever activity their kid is involved ins't safe, end result will be ruining it, demanding accommodation.
Prexys Moon
AG
I just can't understand the UIL. If a parent is really too scared to send Johnny to math, she's too scared to send him to band practice.
Charpie
AG
UIL is for extracurriculars.
88planoAg
AG
Charpie said:

UIL is for extracurriculars.
Right, I get that. But eligibility requirements are what they are ruling on. UIL says a student is eligible even if he doesn't go to in person school.
Charpie
AG
Which is to satisfy the REEEEing of moms about their kids.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If schools have to close every time a kid gets it, then don't even bother opening them up. 90% of schools will be closed within the first three weeks.
nai06
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Thanks above for the link. I watched it. I don't know how Abbott could manage this any worse. As stated above, its not in the TEA guidelines, and he should publicly correct what he said.

He also stated that there have been outbreaks with athletes. Where is this, what data, what schools. I have not seen this anywhere. He is such a screw up. Yes, with colleges, but none that I am aware with HS kids. The context of the question was UIL, not college. I have read plenty of HS S&C shutting down, but not due to outbreaks within the athletes. Virtually all of the shutdowns were the same "out of an abundance of caution" nonsense.

I guess we know where he is getting his guidance, SW Dallas?

This is in the DFW area

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/arlington-isd-high-school-postpones-summer-conditioning-camp-after-student-tests-positive-for-covid-19/287-6af9758d-3a24-4059-8dd3-c8433ce62dd8
Complete Idiot
Some interesting reading - some conflicting data, nothing necessarily conclusive, but I had an overall positive takeaway re: returning to school with common sense and not causing a disaster.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks
culdeus
AG
If you aren't going to close for cases every classroom needs a live stream option with a robust program to provide subs.

There is probably a threshold where you need to pull the plug. Maybe at 10% of student body or something.
DripAG08
AG
Abbott has a month to quit being a puss and get these kids back to some sense of normalcy again. Shutting down for 5 days is ridiculous IMO. If you have teachers ready to be back in the classroom as well as parents ready to send their kids back then let's quit with the cautious bull **** and get to back to it.
nai06
AG
I didn't see this posted yet, but the American Academy of Pediatrics has walked back their position on reopening.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

They are saying that the decision to reopen should be on a local basis and that we should listen to local health officials and educators
Robk
This is not mine. It is from a parent and just part of a much larger post. In full disclosure. I am a teacher, I do want to go back TO SAFE conditions, I do not want to rush, I want to start online until all issues are addressed.

"FCPS has 189,000 children. .0016 of that is 302. 302 dead children are the Calvary Hill you're erecting your argument on. So, let's agree to do this: stop presenting this as a data point. If this is your argument, I challenge you to have courage equal to your conviction. Go ahead, plant a flag on the internet and say, "Only 302 children will die." No one will. That's the kind action on social media that gets you fired from your job. And I trust our social media enclave isn't so careless and irresponsible with life that it would even, for even a millisecond, enter any of your minds to make such an argument."
Robk
culdeus said:

If you aren't going to close for cases every classroom needs a live stream option with a robust program to provide subs.

There is probably a threshold where you need to pull the plug. Maybe at 10% of student body or something.
What sub is going to want walk into a class where the teacher is on quarantine because of exposure from a student. In a high school of 3000 students that means 300 KNOWN infections. That means (even if you want to go with the BS 1%) that 3 students or teachers are dead from the virus with many more very sick. It is a BIG HEARTBREAKING deal when 1 student or teacher dies.
culdeus
AG
302 seems high. Don't know that 302 school aged kids have even died worldwide yet.

The real issue is teachers striking over conditions. Could easily see 302 Texas teachers dying.
planoaggie123
AG
They should strike. And lose their jobs if they do.

People all over this county are sacrificing daily to keep the economy going and to feed their families. Why should teachers be different? Look for unemployment if don't like the risk.
Fitch
AG
The parent author of that post needs to realize it's 0.0016% - i.e. 3 out of 189,000, not 302.
Complete Idiot
Robk said:

This is not mine. It is from a parent and just part of a much larger post. In full disclosure. I am a teacher, I do want to go back TO SAFE conditions, I do not want to rush, I want to start online until all issues are addressed.

"FCPS has 189,000 children. .0016 of that is 302. 302 dead children are the Calvary Hill you're erecting your argument on. So, let's agree to do this: stop presenting this as a data point. If this is your argument, I challenge you to have courage equal to your conviction. Go ahead, plant a flag on the internet and say, "Only 302 children will die." No one will. That's the kind action on social media that gets you fired from your job. And I trust our social media enclave isn't so careless and irresponsible with life that it would even, for even a millisecond, enter any of your minds to make such an argument."
These numbers are incorrect based on all that I have read. The data so far - and there have been a lot of worldwide cases and fatalities overall - suggest that for people under age 20 this is less deadly than influenza. Especially if under age 10. In Germany, the entire country, they have recorded 1 death (5109 cases) in the 0-9 age group and 2 deaths (9646 cases) in the 10-19 age group. And that is confirmed cases, nearly everyone agrees the actual cases is 2-20 times confirmed cases.

Arguing it can lead to a community outbreak, or harm teachers and non teaching staff, or kids can take home to people living in their home - I can listen to those arguments. I can't listen to false data and someone throwing out shock statistics like "YOU OK WITH 302 DEAD KIDS???".
pantherag
AG
Fitch said:

The parent author of that post needs to realize it's 0.0016% - i.e. 3 out of 189,000, not 302.

Math can be very difficult for some folks.
planoaggie123
AG
The complaining is making me want to take my kids out of public and start doing either private or homeschool with independently chosen teachers. I am tired of the complaints. I am shocked by the people willing to spend 25K to send their kids to private and those schools are being timid (ie Greenhill among others in Dallas). Those should be the most brash and supportive of in person learning. They have kids of very successful and wealthy kids. Their parent need their kids in school so they can work. I am getting very close to choosing a home school option and joining with a few families to pay for a teacher to teach our kids.
Complete Idiot
pantherag said:

Fitch said:

There was early data out of China showing a 0.16% type IFR for kids - or 0.0016 and 302 would be correct. However, we have a lot more data since then, more accurate data, so we shouldnt be using 0.0016 or 0.16%. I'll give the person a little credit and suggest it's just bad data they are using and not a miscalculation. However, it is ironic they mention "social media irresponsibility" and then throw out some stats that seem flat out false.

nai06
AG
culdeus said:

302 seems high. Don't know that 302 school aged kids have even died worldwide yet.

The real issue is teachers striking over conditions. Could easily see 302 Texas teachers dying.

Teachers won't/can't strike.

We would permanently lose our license and forfeit any money we have paid into our retirement.
rojo_ag
AG
culdeus said:

I know this has been mentioned a few times on this thread and on others, but just for accuracy sake: Texas is Right to Work state. Teachers do not have unions, and if a teacher strikes he/she will lose his/her licence and maybe TRS contributions. Now, in other states, it could become a free-for-all.

I've been thinking. I wonder how many of my colleagues would have a different view of the virus and risks if our salaries weren't guaranteed.
tylercsbn9
AG
culdeus said:

Correct. Anyone simply bringing please think of the children dying is being arguing out if emotion/fear mongering. The flu is more deadly for school aged children an no one freaks the eff out every year about children's safety every winter.
Aust Ag
AG
pantherag said:

Fitch said:

This author made a great example of getting back to school, haha!
culdeus
AG
nai06 said:

culdeus said:

Teachers won't/can't strike.

We would permanently lose our license and forfeit any money we have paid into our retirement.

You need better lawyers. Jmo
culdeus
AG
planoaggie123 said:

The complaining is making me want to take my kids out of public and start doing either private or homeschool with independently chosen teachers. I am tired of the complaints. I am shocked by the people willing to spend 25K to send their kids to private and those schools are being timid (ie Greenhill among others in Dallas). Those should be the most brash and supportive of in person learning. They have kids of very successful and wealthy kids. Their parent need their kids in school so they can work. I am getting very close to choosing a home school option and joining with a few families to pay for a teacher to teach our kids.

What makes you think Greenhill isn't supportive of in person learning?
planoaggie123
AG
I think they will allow an in-person option but from what I have heard there is concern they will be quick to revert back to online. We will see.
88planoAg
AG
discussion on friend's FB page has a response from someone who appears to live in California. Her district just announced that they wouldn't have in person school until the case count in the county was zero for 7 days. They currently have 87 cases.
rojo_ag
AG
The superintendent of Atlanta Public Schools announced students will not return to campuses during the first quarter of the new school year.
ETFan
New statement from the AAP:

Quote:

"Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

"Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts. A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

"Reopening schools in a way that maximizes safety, learning, and the well-being of children, teachers, and staff will clearly require substantial new investments in our schools and campuses. We call on Congress and the administration to provide the federal resources needed to ensure that inadequate funding does not stand in the way of safely educating and caring for children in our schools. Withholding funding from schools that do not open in person fulltime would be a misguided approach, putting already financially strapped schools in an impossible position that would threaten the health of students and teachers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.