Reopening Schools

217,410 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly. How many people do you know that got the in the past few years despite getting a flu shot? I'm inclined to think we just need to plow ahead here, and protect who needs to be protected. Can we move the vulnerable to online teaching? If not, well....
What did Teddy Roosevelt say, something about greatest good for the greatest number? What's America's greatest resource?
River Bass
Quote:

Because there is no requirement for the job to be conducted in person.
For parents with younger kids this is akin to saying that there is no requirement for auto mechanics to conduct their job in person.
The auto mechanic could conduct a virtual lesson on how to fix your car while you perform the task yourself in your garage.
This is what is happening to parents of young kids.
My wife has to sit with both kids during their entire lesson plans because they arent at the age yet to operate the computer, navigate the online portals, self start, and independently work through their class content.

And we are fortunate enough to have the technology to enable virtual learning while our kids are fortunate to have parents that care about their education.

Many kids lack both the technology and the parental support.
For those kids, there certainly is a requirement for an educator to conduct the job in person.
et98
AG
culdeus said:

River Bass said:

Quote:

Instead of thinking of the impact this has on kids, shift the focus to teachers. Anyone who follows this thing for 30 seconds knows the risk to kids is near zero.

We've already lost 700+ medical professionals to this, how many teachers are you willing to sacrifice? How many teachers died doing distance learning?

How many before teachers simply walk off the job? Texas does not have a strong teacher union, but other states do and they are taking note of this "not if but when" stuff and they aren't going for it.
I have to go to work in my industry.
I work for a construction company and each of our job sites has hundreds of workers that have to show up each day.
Police, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, mail carriers, auto mechanics, manufacturing employees, grocery store workers, etc. etc. all have to take the risk and go to work each day to keep our nation running.

Why are teachers exempt from this risk?
Instead of thinking of the impact this has on kids, shift the focus to teachers.
As a teacher myself, I believe we should keep the focus on the students. It isn't about us; it's about the kids and what's best for them & their education. They are more important than I am.

How many teachers died doing distance learning?
This is a trick question because there is no such thing as distance (online) learning. The vast majority of children & teenagers cannot learn that way, which means teachers aren't really teaching that way either.

I have to go to work in my industry. Why are teachers exempt from this risk?
This answer implies that teachers are not required to conduct their jobs in person, and I disagree (see previous response)
et98
AG
Quote:

Instead of thinking of the impact this has on kids, shift the focus to teachers.
I think schools have 3 options when trying to move forward:
1) Conduct school normally as if there is no Covid-19
2) Hybrid model with some kids at school and some at home working online
3) All online

Option 1 - Would guarantee the greatest level of employment and would be the most effective, but health & safety will be sacrificed to some extent.

Option 2 - Will likely result in kids or teachers showing up with Covid and forcing most students to go online. This will eventually result in Option 3.

Option 3 - While safest for everyone, it is ineffective and requires a much smaller staff and minimized expenses. Taxpayers will demand a decreased tax rate, and should. This will result in severe budget cuts. I imagine over 50% of staff would be laid off. How would this be good for teachers?
culdeus
AG
et98 said:

Quote:

3) All online

Option 1 - Would guarantee the greatest level of employment and would be the most effective, but health & safety will be sacrificed to some extent.

Option 2 - Will likely result in kids or teachers showing up with Covid and forcing most students to go online. This will eventually result in Option 3.

Option 3 - While safest for everyone, it is ineffective and requires a much smaller staff and minimized expenses. Taxpayers will demand a decreased tax rate, and should. This will result in severe budget cuts. I imagine over 50% of staff would be laid off. How would this be good for teachers?

I don't see those as the options. Not everything is binary. But to make this argument more productive those options are whole school focused, and there should be different rules for teachers/staff/students.

Basically, what I find silly is all the protections and precautions being put in place are student focused. If that is the way this is going we won't go anywhere, because kids will turn up with this (and quickly). Then what?

You can have an Option 1 if you make the entire goal of this to protect and bubble the teachers. There is little chance Option 1 works once you get 10% of teachers infected. Maybe even 1%. Then you tolerate whatever you get kid wise, up to even to absurd rates of 30-40%.

TLDR: The entire re-open school concept then is IMO being short sighted and too much "Won't someone please think of the children.", when we shouldn't think about the children, like at all.
planoaggie123
AG
Can we send all kids / teachers away to a hotel / bubble somewhere and they can come back in a year???
rojo_ag
AG
et98 said:

Quote:

3) All online

Then, Option 1?

If current surge continues in Texas, it will be Option 3. We will still pay our crazy high property taxes and. . .no teachers will be laid off. Most contracts like mine are term, and I have it signed. To terminate, I must be given cause and allowed a hearing. My teacher organization will provide legal counsel.
tysker
AG
Quote:

TLDR: The entire re-open school concept then is IMO being short sighted and too much "Won't someone please think of the children.", when we shouldn't think about the children, like at all.
Teachers, admin and staff are what 5-10% of the total population of any school? How many would be considered "vulnerable" or at "high risk" maybe another 5-10% of those? So everyone is going crazy, upending their lives, reversing tradition and experience, rearranging their work and families for what amounts to <1% of the given population. A lot of effort for minor gains for small minority.

If a person doesn't like the environment and safety protocols or their workplace, quit! Find another job or school or environment. It's America you're free to do anything you want. Maybe collect unemployment like many that don't otherwise have a choice. There are millions people sitting at home, not working, wondering if/when they'll have enough money to pay rent and feed their family next month and into the fall. Joining them in solidarity may provide some perspective on who is being "selfish" here...
et98
AG
rojo_ag said:

et98 said:

Quote:

3) All online

Then, Option 1?

If current surge continues in Texas, it will be Option 3. We will still pay our crazy high property taxes and. . .no teachers will be laid off. Most contracts like mine are term, and I have it signed. To terminate, I must be given cause and allowed a hearing. My teacher organization will provide legal counsel.
I know it's obvious that I would vote for Option 1. But I'd bet my next paycheck that we will end up with Option 3, regardless of what we start with. The odds of Option 1 happening are probably 0, although that's what I'd prefer.
rojo_ag
AG
I don't see this as a question of what is right or wrong, but a question of what are we going to do about it. You may indeed feel that this virus does not justify government overreach to contain it. You may even be right. . .But. What does the overwhelming majority of leaders, healthcare workers, experts, and the general public feel about the virus?

Telling people to just quit their job if they don't like it pushes your narrative, but your resolution doesn't resonate in the current climate.
rojo_ag
AG
Sadly. I am of the same opinion.
et98
AG
tysker said:

If a person doesn't like the environment and safety protocols or their workplace, quit!
This is kind of how I feel about it, too.

But keep in mind that while teachers could just quit and get a different job, students can't quit. Not going to school is a crime. So while I agree with you, our current laws prohibit kids from making that choice to quit.

This is one of the reasons I keep making myself focus on the students and not the teachers.
et98
AG
rojo_ag said:

I don't see this as a question of what is right or wrong, but a question of what are we going to do about it.
Me too. Every solution is a terrible one. There is no right answer. None of them really make any sense and they all suck. We just have to pick the one that's least terrible, wrong, and nonsensical.

Maybe the answer is different for everyone and we open up the "school choice" discussion once again. Let each district, or even better yet...different schools within the same district...try different things and let the parents decided which school is best for them. Perhaps one of the solutions will become obvious to everyone as the best one, and everyone will agree and there will no longer be a debate. Or perhaps society will continue to be divided on the best idea and parents will keep their kids in the school of their choice. Win-win?

et98
AG
culdeus said:

Not sure what the toughest issue(s) are to solve, trying to list them here.

• How to manage substitute teaching where school continues while a teacher is recovering. Main issue being the students had contact with the teacher, and you are asking someone to enter that environment. This seems unrealistic.

• What caseload, or situation would cause school to be shut down/cancelled for a period of time? Is it student based or teacher based?

• What are the requirements for a student to return post positive test? If they show no symptoms will they join online programs? Or just sit it out?

• High.School.Football. How? One proposal is move this to the spring. This makes the most sense.

• If the idea is to keep kids somewhat in homerooms how do you mange selected classes like foreign languages and clubs/extracurricular?

• After school programs. How?

These are all excellent questions that I honestly don't really know the answer to. But they would all need to have answers before we start back with an on-site school program.

Substitutes - I imagine the need for subs will much higher than normal, and there will be many who will refuse to work. With that said, unemployment is at an all-time high, so the pool of potential subs may not be as shallow as we think. If a school uses a hybrid model, subs would not be in as much demand.

What caseload, or situation would cause school to be shut down/cancelled for a period of time?
I have no idea. School districts may actually have some kind of policy for this already (hopefully). They've just never had to use it before.

What are the requirements for a student [or teacher] to return post positive test?
The CDC has put out an advisement on this that involves the # of days since testing positive/probable exposure/symptoms starting/symptoms ending/etc. OR, the school could treat it the way they've always treated every illness. If you feel well enough to come to school, come to school.

High.School.Football. How? One proposal is move this to the spring.
No idea. I don't know how how a modified version could exist at all . All other associated activities like drill team, cheerleaders, marching band would be heavily affected as well if there is no football and with social distancing restrictions, but they could at least exist on an abbreviated scale. No football hurts entire economies believe it or not, so this is a tough one! I had not heard the idea of moving to Spring. That's an interesting idea, but I don't know how I feel about it yet!

Homerooms, foreign languages, clubs/extracurricular, after-school programs
I high school & junior high would have to be conducted normally. Classes are too specialized for homerooms. The idea of moving teachers room-to-room instead of students is an option, but many classes require certain facilities (science labs, CTE classes). Some extra-curricular programs may be diminished or impossible, but many would be fine.
culdeus
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Can we send all kids / teachers away to a hotel / bubble somewhere and they can come back in a year???
That was tried for summer camps. It worked, except when it didn't.
jenn96
AG
Quote:

Me too. Every solution is a terrible one. There is no right answer. None of them really make any sense and they all suck. We just have to pick the one that's least terrible, wrong, and nonsensical.
This is the best that I'm hoping for frankly. In my particular circumstances, online or virtual school would be a total disaster. My 10 year old son is autistic and has thrived at school. He's regressed significantly since March because of having almost no social peer interaction. His academics are fine but another year of no classroom and I don't know if he would ever gain that ground back that he'll lose in social skills and communication.

Really hoping that ISDs are flexible between elementary, middle and high school (not trying to do a one-size-fits-all solution) and that within schools, some flexibility is allowed for students with special needs or circumstances. I don't envy anyone having to make these decisions for their districts; it really does seem like bad choices across the board. I don't want teachers to be at risk but they are legitimately as essential as police and nurses to a functional society, and I hope we can figure out how they can work safely.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
We want to work. It is just that so far nothing is in place to tell us how it is going to be save. Most of us have had to buy our own hand sanitizer and clorox wipes for several years, and now we can't even find them. We dont have hot water in any of the restrooms for hand washing that the auto off turns the water off after about five seconds.

Newer schools won't let you open windows to provide extra ventilation, even it that makes it hot as hades in the room.

Some rooms have no windows.

Few schools are rich enough to have individual everything for students. We are used to class sets of books and chrome carts for computers. Four minutes between classes gives little time to disinfect. I had 31 in my largetst class and wall to wall desks. No social distancing Kids come to school with NO supplies so I have pencils and pens they use and put back. I really cant afford to buy 180 of these every couple of days

And we are required to be at their shoulders circulating. It is actually bad teaching and bad evaluations if you stay at your desk or even at the front of the room.

Those are the reasons we are concerned that kids will get it and so will we. The state has not even mandated temperature checks.
River Bass
Every day that goes by the number of teachers and substitute teachers that have recovered from the virus grows.

If we start school up then it is reasonable to expect some teachers to get sick.
A significant percentage (25-50%) will get the virus and never experience symptoms.
The average age of teachers in Texas is 42 years old and 77% are female. This low risk demographic is likely to recover easily and be back to teaching in two weeks with some level of immunity.

High risk teachers can be addressed individualy with specific actions to protect them.
Bonfired
AG
et98 said:

tysker said:

If a person doesn't like the environment and safety protocols or their workplace, quit!
This is kind of how I feel about it, too.

But keep in mind that while teachers could just quit and get a different job, students can't quit. Not going to school is a crime. So while I agree with you, our current laws prohibit kids from making that choice to quit.

This is one of the reasons I keep making myself focus on the students and not the teachers.

One thing to note about teacher employment is that we are now in the "less than 45 days before reporting to work" period, so just not reporting to work could be problematic as far as breaking a contract is concerned.

I would hope that districts would be very careful in handling situations like that right now.
ag97tx
AG
Why can't students and all teachers/staff wear masks? It is absurd to me to think that all these other places can be open but not schools which are vital to our children's education. Sounds essential to me.

I work in a field where we are 1 foot away from a person who isn't wearing a mask all while throwing aerosols Into the air every time we run the drill. We have been back at work since the beginning of May. Masks work if you wear them.

et98
AG
If you think a couple hundred 8 year olds are going to sit around all day with an itchy, hot, annoying mask on all day, you are crazy...especially with all their friends that they haven't seen in 6 months.

If you think 2000 teenagers are going to obey any rules at all on a consistent basis, you are crazy.
OldCamp
Younger kids shouldn't need mask.
Teachers of younger kids could just wear N95s and keep their distance.

If a teacher can manage to go to a grocery store and not get sick then I'm sure they could manage to teach a class and not get sick.
jah003
S
OldCamp said:

If a teacher can manage to go to a grocery store and not get sick then I'm sure they could manage to teach a class and not get sick.

Did you just equate going to the grocery store to teaching for 8 hours... with an N95 on?
planoaggie123
AG
LOL.

This whole ordeal...regardless of what side you are on...is all about making unreasonable comparisons...you have to understand that!
3rd Generation Ag
AG
NONE of the teachers on my team are going to grocery stores. We are doing curbside or using home delivery. I stay in close virtual contact with about half of my department. We are not at Walmart. We all are taking the very precautions we can't take and teach. And that average age thing is misleading. It means that about half of us ARE over 40. Many have autoimmune illesses and/or asthma. We have a teacher of the year in our department that has Lupus for instance. She is incredible. But what we are asking for is some common sense precautions and right now the state is not requiring ANY. NO precautions.
nai06
AG
OldCamp said:

I mean it is slightly different. I have 180 students and work on a campus of over 3000 people. Just in the course of my daily job I probably see or interact with 400-500 people all while indoors in tight spaces.

I think my students will probably be fine. I personally don't want to get sick though and it's hard to see how this is going to work and not get immediately shut down.
Smokedraw01
I hate to say it but I don't see how we reopen with in-class schooling. I ****ing hate to even type that because I didn't get into teaching to sit behind a computer.
River Bass
Quote:

I personally don't want to get sick though and it's hard to see how this is going to work and not get immediately shut down.

I thought the same about our construction projects. I figured hundreds of workers in close proximity sharing portable toilets and working in poorly ventilated areas would be a disaster. It wasn't. In fact, it hasn't been a major obstacle to overall project performance at all.

There are thousands of construction projects and thousands of manufacturing facilities in this state that are managing to operate at full capacity despite the virus. I'm sure schools can figure it out as well.
Big Al 1992
AG
Cy Fair ISD is voting today for $44million to ensure all students have laptops and WiFi capabilities for "possible" at home learning.
I fear this is the direction we are headed.
Many will look at the Ivy League schools as precedent- already announced on line in the fall, football in the spring.
SoTheySay
S
I'm seriously considering homeschooling my three. It will be HARD and I would be doing it while running a business but at least they would have a routine that likely wasn't interrupted and a proven tried and true method.
P.U.T.U
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Cy Fair ISD is voting today for $44million to ensure all students have laptops and WiFi capabilities for "possible" at home learning.
I fear this is the direction we are headed.
Many will look at the Ivy League schools as precedent- already announced on line in the fall, football in the spring.
I hope people consider it is a lot easier for college age kids to learn remotely compared to elementary aged.
tysker
AG
nai06 said:

OldCamp said:

I mean it is slightly different. I have 180 students and work on a campus of over 3000 people. Just in the course of my daily job I probably see or interact with 400-500 people all while indoors in tight spaces.

I think my students will probably be fine. I personally don't want to get sick though and it's hard to see how this is going to work and not get immediately shut down.
Again we are making all these arrangements and concessions for one person out of 400-500? This seems like a lot of deliberation, work, agita and hair-pulling for a fraction of a percent of a population that is scared or is vulnerable.
planoaggie123
AG
I dont think people will try and align the learning capability of kids in Ivy Leage vs kids in Elementary. All levels of governement / state institutions can't help but to waste money. Call me debbie downer but probably some indirect kickbacks involved.

I do think the Ivy League precendent on sports could actually have more impact than some people probably want to think...
planoaggie123
AG
We are planning to send our daughter back to school in person; however, if the district tries and reverse course wife and I have been discussing doing home-school vs the s_ show that is pubically driven remote learning.

I think a lot of kids with higher-educated parents will likely consider doing the same and will be interesting to see how quickly they are to jump back into public school the following year(s)....

One slight positive is Plano sent an email last night doubling down on the "in-school" option still being a "go"...
cc_ag92
AG
Not to discourage you from home schooling independently because I do feel like that's a viable option, but don't judge the district's virtual learning by last spring's emergency learning. Teachers had no training then. Districts didn't have structures in place to support teachers and students and were responding to a sudden mandate. I'm hopeful that we will be much more successful in the fall, especially in a district like Plano.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.