Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,535 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
ThatOneGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be in the UK later this year and have family there that I can ship to. Is there anything I should look at buying there to bring back that would be more difficult to get here in the states that would be worth it? Not looking to break the bank on anything though.
John Francis Donaghy
ThatOneGuy said:

I will be in the UK later this year and have family there that I can ship to. Is there anything I should look at buying there to bring back that would be more difficult to get here in the states that would be worth it? Not looking to break the bank on anything though.
Anything from the GlenDronach Single Cask series and a Talisker Port Ruighe or two.

Also be sure to pick up a bottle or two of Balvenie Triple Cask which is a duty-free store exclusive while you're in the international terminal in the airport.

Prices are better if you don't do the math to figure out how much they cost in US dollars.
Cyprian
AG
I've been picking up Japanese bottles recently. Nikka From the Barrel, Nikka Coffee Malt, Nikka Taketsuru, and Yamazaki 12.

The Taketsuru is a first, nice sweet and peaty blend.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
MW03
AG
I love Nikka From the Barrel. I used that one to fool a friend that was anti-japanese scotch.
Cyprian
AG
It's a good one, and the squared shaped bottle is fun and very unique. However, you gotta learn how to pour it out clean of that tiny hole at the same time, maybe it is just me but it took me a couple pours to get a good touch for it.

-------------
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Grabbed a pre-order from Total Wine for the Glenmorangie, Barrel Select Release No. 2, 'Cognac Cask Finish' Aged 13 Years. Now to wait for delivery in the fall...

How do you pre-order this? I'm grand reserve already if that matters... Curious if I'm missing something because that sounds delicious

-------------
AgInSingapore
AG
So Total Wine has their regular website, but they also do something called Concierge Sales (status does not matter, it is just a separate website from the regular one, https://concierge.totalwine.com/) Sign up, it's free, and then Concierge Sales will send you emails when a new offer is available. Most of the time it is for wine, which is not a bad thing in my house, but you will also see scotch, tequila, rum, etc. offers from time to time.

Most of these offerings eventually make their way to the shelves, unless they are very limited allocations. This particular Glenmorangie will most likely be available in store but buying via the Concierge offering saved me 11% (they are transparent with what the savings are). I've used it for the Glenmorangie Malaga, special Ardbeg releases, special Diageo releases and so on. It isn't like the rare whisky quarterly offerings where you may or may not get it and if you do you have to go to the Galleria location. You will be able to select a specific store to pick up from once the product arrives. Purchases via Concierge are tied to your regular memeber number (I think you have to enter it in when you sign up, it's been a while so don't quite rememeber) so you still get the points.

Circling back to the wine, this is also where you can buy bordeaux futures which is pretty fun if you are into that sort of thing. I started doing this during lock down, and it is basically pre ordering before the Chateaus bottle and release their wine for general sale. Give you the chance to get stuff that you may or may not ever see on the shelf.

Long winded, sorry about that.
djmeen95
AG
Was at Costco chatting with the liquor store guy about what he had on shelf.

I mentioned to him that I also dig Japanese whiskies, but the one I'd been looking I hadn't seen in years and pretty sure it wasn't being made. He asked which one and I told him the name - Hakushu.

He said - I think we have a bottle of that in the back, let me go look.

Sure enough - Hakushu 12!

Felt like I won the lottery.
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Long winded, sorry about that.

N
Ha, np, it is good info. I've got one preordered now too tho, thanks for the heads up

-------------
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a great pour! I have a bottle in the cabinet.
John Francis Donaghy
How have I never known about this!?!?
AgInSingapore
AG
Don't know but glad to share the info, hope they offer something that draws your interest!
AgInSingapore
AG
I'm really looking forward to this bottle, I'm a peat head but really like what Glenmorangie does with their finishing. That malaga was good stuff but the Glenmorangie Cake was one of my favorites to date, so good...
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

I'm really looking forward to this bottle, I'm a peat head but really like what Glenmorangie does with their finishing. That malaga was good stuff but the Glenmorangie Cake was one of my favorites to date, so good...

Cake was very nice (should have bought another one), Malaga was good but I wasn't as big on it. I tried a Jefferson's Rye in a Cognac cask finish recently that was very, very nice. I'm excited to see what Glenmorangie does with this finish too here, they have been consistently good for me so far.

-------------
Cromagnum
AG
Had a pour of Octomore 7.1 this weekend. Pretty damned good if you are a peathead. I'm on a mission now to get a hold of a bottle of the 11.3
AgBQ-00
AG
Had redbreast 12 last night for the first time. Was really good
BBRex
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I've never had a bad pour of Redbreast. I've had 12, 15, 21, 27, and Lustau, and they were all great. And they run the gamut of price point, so you can find what you want at a price you like.
AgBQ-00
AG
I was really surprised at the flavor. The only Irish I'd had before was Jameson. So this was definitely a step up.
FarmerJohn
AG
Cyprian
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Yea, Redbreast, and all the "Spots" are all fantastic drinks for me. Really opened my eyes beyond Jameson

-------------
Post removed:
by user
jaggiemaggie
AG
Longtime drinker of Hibiki Harmony and now it's getting harder to find in Houston.

Bourbon fan but it is just getting sillier by the minute.

I recently picked up a bottle of Yamazaki 12 that I'm excited to open for my bday. Also picked up a $45 Matsui San-In bottle from Spec's. Not bad for $45. Gonna have to try Nikka from the Barrel based on comments here
BBRex
AG
Just FYI, Twin Liquor is having an end-of-summer sale through the first week of September, I think. I noticed Talisker 10 is $67 and the Talisker distiller's edition is $78. They have a bunch of other stuff on sale, scotch and otherwise. You can go to the website and see what's on sale near you. (I was looking for Isle of Harris gin, and it was on sale for $40 something, and they plan to price it at $60 something, so that was a win.)
Cyprian
AG
Nice, thanks for the heads up

-------------
BBRex
AG
I picked up one of the Lagavulin 11yo Offerman Edition bottles today. Definitely one of my favorites.
Objective Aggie
AG
Cyprian said:

I've been picking up Japanese bottles recently. Nikka From the Barrel, Nikka Coffee Malt, Nikka Taketsuru, and Yamazaki 12.

The Taketsuru is a first, nice sweet and peaty blend.

Nikki Coffee Grain is a clean scotch and great for the price in my opinion.

Had Yamazaki 12 last night and glad I wasn't the one paying for it. It didn't blow me away.
Objective Aggie
AG
Relatively new to this thread but this just opened this up. It's fantastic.
Cyprian
AG
Picked up Nikka Yoichi at Total wine Willowbrook today - in the case

-------------
jaggiemaggie
AG
Driving thru Fort Worth and Picked up nikka from the barrel from total wine.
AgInSingapore
AG
Total Wine Concierge Sales has a limited edition Glenmorangie 18 out with a label designed by Azuma Makoto. Best I can tell the juice inside is the regular 18 year old and it is just the packaging that makes is a limited edition. If you collect it may be a cool one to have on your shelf (https://www.glenmorangie.com/en-us/our-whiskies/azuma-makoto-x-18-years-old).
AgBQ-00
AG
Picked up a Glenmorangie taster pack today. Original Lasanta, Quinta Ruban (already have a bottle) and nectar d'or
jwright4288
AG
Glenmorangie is the most consistently solid, fair costed scotch I've found. None of it blows me away but they're all very good for what they cost. The one exception (to me) is the nectar d'or. It was way too sweet for me and I eventually poured it out. However, I would imagine it tastes fantastic for a lot of people. I really want to try their signet
planoaggie123
AG
Had several of the Orphan Barrels and they are all pretty good. Hope you enjoy!!!
AgBQ-00
AG
Finished the original tonight. Each of the little bottles is two strong pours worth. Really liked it. Was a good mix of honey and tropical fruit to me.
billyjack2009
My parents' 50th wedding anniversary is in November. They really want for nothing so I am struggling with what to get them. They do love a good single malt scotch so I was thinking of a bottle of something high-end along with a decanter and set of DOF's with gold trim. Any suggestions?

I see Glencairn makes gold glasses. I think I'll start with those and look for a unique bottle of scotch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.