Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,539 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Lagavulin 16 is a fantastic scotch. But if the party is going to have mainly bourbon or Irish whiskey drinkers it may not be appreciated very much.

The bachelor party will actually be in Tennessee and we will be doing some type of Whisky tasting and trail.

So I assume there will be a lot of whisky drinking.....any ideas of a really good scotch that will fit into our group after coming back from a whiskey outing?

Bruichladdich Classic Laddie.

Fairly neutral scotch (not too sweet, not too malted, virtually no peat but still a tiny influence on the flavor). Will likely be a great option to balance out the banana and vanilla flavors from the Tennessee whiskey you will likely be overloaded with.
AgBQ-00
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Lagavulin 16 is a fantastic scotch. But if the party is going to have mainly bourbon or Irish whiskey drinkers it may not be appreciated very much.

The bachelor party will actually be in Tennessee and we will be doing some type of Whisky tasting and trail.

So I assume there will be a lot of whisky drinking.....any ideas of a really good scotch that will fit into our group after coming back from a whiskey outing?

Pretty much anything from Balvenie or Glenmorangie would be great for non scotch drinkers from my experience.

If a bit more adventurous and want to get some smoke and brine without it being crazy Talisker 10 is one I have started drinking lately that is fantastic. I'm sure others will chime in. But the great thing about scotch is the variety of flavors. There really is something for everyone
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AggieBarstool
AgBQ-00 said:

+1. The Lag 16 is going to be very niche for most. You may want to feel out whether or not there's interest in a super-smoky Scotch among the group. If so (or folks just want to try it), go for it. Otherwise, I'd recommend a sherried scotch as an easy drinker, especially of the folks that will partake are not avid scotch enthusiasts.
AgBQ-00
AG
Celebratory glenmorangie quinta ruban
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Cromagnum
AG
Don't recall if already posted but if introducing someone to scotch (or are new yourself), I recommend starting in the middle and working outwards. Alternatively, if you can sample the 4 corners without going all in on a bottle, you can see what you really might like versus growing into.

AgInSingapore
AG
Was looking at my inventory and realized one of my bottles of Port Ellen (27 year old cask strength) has begun to evaporate past the cork, time to open it up and enjoy before the angels get too much more of a second share!
Scotts Tot
AG
Good advice. As for myself, after dabbling in the center and toward the bottom right, I finally decided I wanted to try something with a little more character. I tried some of the classic Islays and sherried scotches, and enjoyed both in their own very different ways.

Finally it seemed clear that I would enjoy the intersection of those profiles so I decided to explore the top left of that chart. Not being one to mess around, I jumped straight to the corner and picked up some Uigeadail. The first nosing and tasting blew my mind and it remains my favorite whisk(e)y to this day.
Post removed:
by user
TamuKid
AG
I have a Johnnie Walker Blue that was bought on a cruise ship in 1995 (by my grandpa). Still in cellophane and box.

Being a blended whisky, I'm assuming no real additional value in it being older/cruise ship bottling/etc? Might be looking to trade for bourbon. Not a scotch guy.
Diggity
AG
Not a bourbon guy. Let's talk

TamuKid
AG
Haha, would take more than that (and while some batches are good, I've had some bad batches of HMK10).

Of note it is a 86 proof bottle instead of the current 80 proof bottlings.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, I got it as a gift and didn't realize it had such a controversial history until researching it.

Is your Blue a 750 or 1L? Looks like they do a 86 proof for the New Year these days. TW has it at $260 for a fifth. I'm not sure if there is any collector value to an older bottle, but if not, that would be a good proxy.
mazag08
AG
Diggity said:

Not a bourbon guy. Let's talk

How much you want?
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
I would be willing to trade for a nice 10 or 12 year whiskey.
TamuKid
AG
It's a 750
Post removed:
by user
mazag08
AG
Diggity said:

I would be willing to trade for a nice 10 or 12 year whiskey.

No thanks.

But I've got a bottle of Weller Special Reserve. I'll even toss in $10 and a real estate referral.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is this for $30 a fair deal?

Glenmorangie
Four 100ml bottles of Original 10 years, Lasanta 12 years, Quinta Ruban 14 years and Nectar D'or
John Francis Donaghy
Chipotlemonger said:

Is this for $30 a fair deal?

Glenmorangie
Four 100ml bottles of Original 10 years, Lasanta 12 years, Quinta Ruban 14 years and Nectar D'or
Fair? Probably. Worth it? I'd say no. Unless your goal is just to taste them without much intention of ever buying a full size bottle.

Lots of that $30 is going towards the quadruple packaging cost of those little bottles. They're all good, and they're all relatively similar. If it were me, I'd much rather put that $30 towards a full size bottle of any of them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This is great info thank you! Seems like it's a push and not overly worth it nor overly not worth it.
John Francis Donaghy
No problem. For the record, the Quinta Ruben is my favorite of the 4. Nectar D'or is my second favorite.
Cyprian
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

No problem. For the record, the Quinta Ruben is my favorite of the 4. Nectar D'or is my second favorite.

How would you compare the two? I really enjoyed Nectar N'or - so I'm curious about this one too

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
FTAco07
AG
I need some help deciding on a bottle of scotch for a gift. I know the person likes The Mcallan 15 (not sure which variety if their are multiples). Given that, what would be a good gift of something similar profile but in the $300-$500 price range? I'm not looking to do multiple bottles and willing to go a bit up or down from that range for the right combination of great scotch with attractive packaging a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
FbgTxAg
AG
FTAco07 said:

I need some help deciding on a bottle of scotch for a gift. I know the person likes The Mcallan 15 (not sure which variety if their are multiples). Given that, what would be a good gift of something similar profile but in the $300-$500 price range? I'm not looking to do multiple bottles and willing to go a bit up or down from that range for the right combination of great scotch with attractive packaging a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

Macallan #2, #3, #4, or 18 Sherry Oak would probably all be in that price range. Or the Rare Cask.

Most Macallan drinkers also like Balvenie as well so maybe a Balvenie 18 or 21 if it's in that range.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Diggity
AG
I love Macallan, but the 18 and aboves have gotten to be stupid expensive.

I think, pound for pound, this is an excellent scotch value compared to the other 25's out there

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-glenlivet/the-glenlivet-xxv-25-year-old-whisky/
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
I know age statements aren't everything, but I dislike this trend where the big boys are putting out $300 bottles with no year. Seems shady, like the ****ty Duty Free Macallan bottles.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
Thank you! You take care of that bottle!
MediAg13
AG
jh0400 said:

Balvenie 21 can be found for around $200 occasionally at WB.

Man I wish I could find that deal. I stare at the Balvenie 21 every time I'm at the cash register but can't bring myself to spend the $250+. I'd buy it immediately for $200 if I saw it.
dsvogel05
AG
Save your money and buy the 17 year double wood instead. Much better IMO.
MediAg13
AG
dsvogel05 said:

That's the next bottle on my list right now. I'm working my way through the whole Balvenie family.
Hootie
AG
dsvogel05 said:

Agreed - the 17 is my favorite of the Balvenie line.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.