Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,537 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it Smokey at all?
Johnsy3
AG
Just poured the dram of Port Ruighe. It's far and away my favorite so far. It's similar to the Bowmore 15 I had a few nights back but better on all accounts. The port finish and peat make it super balanced and the finish is nice and long. Thanks for the heads up - I'll try and make this 2oz pour last a while!
Hootie
AG
mazag08 said:

By the way,

Specs has 4 different barrel picks of Edradour. All are 10 years or more. $125-$165 range.
I bought the Specs Edradour Madeira cask and the Sherry cask. They are both excellent choices. The Madeira was very smooth for a 60+% ABV and I preferred this one without water. The sherry cask is so dark in color it looks like a dark rum. If you like sherried scotch you will love it. I recommend waiting 20 minutes or so after you pour to drink it. A little water made it better IMO.
Hootie
AG
maverick2076 said:

I've gotten more and more into Islay Scotches this year. As a Christmas present for myself, I picked up a bottle of Bruichladdich's Black Art today. I can't wait to try it over the holidays.
I have a bottle of the Black Art 4.1. It is hands down the best scotch I've ever had.
mazag08
AG
So I rummaged through my dads liquor cabinet again. He has an assortment of bourbons, wines, liquers, and random stuff. The bottom cubby hole in it is filled with Napa wines from the 70's that have never been opened. I was going through them one by one and came across this bad boy pictured below. It's a cheap blended scotch that hasn't been produced since the 70's. My dad said this was the bottle that made him pass out face down on the drain of the dorm community shower at A&M in '69. He swore off scotch after that night, so this got put away never to be seen again. It might still be made today, but it's apparently a blend of scotches, so the ones used in this bottle are likely mostly closed down.

On the nose, I actually got apples and honey. Very Irish like. I started to get hopeful.

Then the palette.. and.. holy god. This is awful *****

It's likely that a bottle opened in the 70's never to be touched again is the reason it's so bad. It's also likely that it was a cheap bottle of meh to start with. But I wouldn't even feed this down the kitchen sink drain. The best use is likely during a Hurricane Harvey type event where you don't have water for a week and really really want to flush your toilet.

Still a gorgeous bottle and little piece of history.

Apparently you can get it in Lafeyette lol
https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/blended-scotch/ushers-green-stripe/p/1855175

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/j-and-g-stewart/ushers-green-stripe-1970s-whisky/
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/70810/ushers-green-stripe
https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotch/comments/31lge4/ushers_green_stripe_blended_scotch_vintage_review/
Chipotlemonger
AG
mazag08 said:

The bottom cubby hole in it is filled with Napa wines from the 70's that have never been opened.
Details on this? Have they been sitting at Texas room temp this entire time?
mazag08
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

mazag08 said:

The bottom cubby hole in it is filled with Napa wines from the 70's that have never been opened.
Details on this? Have they been sitting at Texas room temp this entire time?
Pretty much. It's a very nice liquor cabinet, but I do not believe it is temperature controlled.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Laphroaig
Lagavulin

Sometimes an Ardbeg variety to change things up.

No other scotches exist to me
AggieBarstool
So, how did Santa do this year? I came away with Lagavulin 8 and Lagavulin 16. Tried the 8 (what a peat bomb!) but not the 16 yet. I look forward to the weekend where I can do proper sampling free from Christmas obligations.
AgInSingapore
AG
Very nice, the 16 is my favorite readily available single malt and i don't see that changing any time soon.
AggieBarstool
AgInSingapore said:

Very nice, the 16 is my favorite readily available single malt and i don't see that changing any time soon.
Right on. If the 16 is anything like the 8, it may be my go-to for a peated scotch (which I've recently gotten in to).
mazag08
AG
My aunt tried to make a contribution to our yearly tasting last night. Can't even remember the name. Apparently it was like $12. Literally tasted like room temperature bath water. One of the worst I've ever tasted, and makes the Ushers I posted above seen like fine aged juice. I'll try and get the name of it and start a campaign to get the distillery shutdown. It was a sad excuse for whiskey.
AgBQ-00
AG
Sitting here enjoying my first glass of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14. Really good. Brown sugar sweet and red wine finish. Very good first impression and easy drinking for sure.

Have my trusty Balvinie Doublewood 12 unopened as well.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AgBQ-00
AG
I have the 8 and really like it. Had a 200ml of the 16 and all I can say is it was awesome. Can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
djmeen95
AG
Nice little gift for Christmas. I'm starting my 12 days - errrrr, drinks in a row, tonight! Lol.

Edit to add - 12 days my @ss. These little 50ml bottles are making me realize that my night caps have been two finger Shaquille O'Neal pours. Second door open already..
AggieBarstool
AgBQ-00 said:

I have the 8 and really like it. Had a 200ml of the 16 and all I can say is it was awesome. Can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
Holy peat-monster Batman! I had a proper dram each of Lag 8 and Lag 16. I was surprised to find that the 16 carried a bit more smoke and intensity. I was expecting that, due to it being aged twice as long, that it would be more mellowed out or less intense. I got the impression it would go that way on nosing, but on tasting, I was immediately struck with the richness of the smoke, giving way to a sweet smoothness. The 8, by comparison, seemed quite tame, more spice than sweetness.

I threw in a tasting of Ardbeg 10... which tasted almost flavorless against the Lagavulin.
AgBQ-00
AG
The 16 for me was like drinking a smoked meat. It is awesome. The 8 for me is more of a fire on the beach. A bit brighter sweet following the smoke.
AgBQ-00
AG
Uodate to my first post from last night. Had a couple of pours of the Glenmorangie quinta ruban 14 last night. It is really good. Starts sweet then it ramps up on spiciness. The 46% abv builds toward the back of the pallette. Then the sweetness of the port cask mellows everything. Really complex for a $50 bottle of scotch.

There are fruit notes that come out throughout the drink.
AggieBarstool
Oh my goodness, yes! What a perfect way to compare the two.
FbgTxAg
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Sitting here enjoying my first glass of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14. Really good. Brown sugar sweet and red wine finish. Very good first impression and easy drinking for sure.

Quinta Ruban is the best Scotch to get non-scotch drinkers into scotch. Followed closely by Caribbean Cask Balvenie.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
AgBQ-00
AG
FbgTxAg said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Quinta Ruban is the best Scotch to get non-scotch drinkers into scotch. Followed closely by Caribbean Cask Balvenie.

I went to the store to grab Talisker 10. They were out so I bought the Quinta Ruban and a bottle of Doublewood Instead. Was pleasantly surprised at the QR
FbgTxAg
AG
Blessing and a curse. I didn't drink Scotch before I tried QR. Now it's 10 years later and I have a Scotch problem.

Try Signet.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Bigfootisreal
Was gifted a three pack of 200ml scotch at Christmas- Lag 16, Talisker 10, and Cragganmore 12. So far I enjoyed the Talisker and I am sipping the Cragganmore 12 as I type. Really like the Cragganmore! Will have to try the Lag 16 another time.
AgBQ-00
AG
I had that box and I really liked all three.

Eta...the Lag is great but will be smoky and meaty.
djmeen95
AG
Trip to Disney and packed 4 little bottles of
Johnny Walker. I seriously underestimated what I should have packed. Lol.
John Francis Donaghy
Johnsy3 said:

Just poured the dram of Port Ruighe. It's far and away my favorite so far. It's similar to the Bowmore 15 I had a few nights back but better on all accounts. The port finish and peat make it super balanced and the finish is nice and long. Thanks for the heads up - I'll try and make this 2oz pour last a while!

Glad to hear it! Happy new year!
FbgTxAg
AG
That's 1 day's worth at "The happiest place on earth."

Cyprian
AG
I just popped in real quick to give a thumbs up to Dalmore 15. This is one of those easy and smooth ones that most people would easily enjoy imo if they gave it a chance.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
AgBQ-00
AG
Had read that Talisker 10 was good with every course of a meal. That its flavor changed with each. I can attest it is true. We went to a nice dinner tonight. Started with Sezchuan Quail appetizer. The Talisker was a smoky sweet
Had ribeye scallops and sea bass main course. The talisker was s little more briny with smoke and sweet. With apple crisp dessert the Talisker was really briny and it set off the sweetness of the crisp and ice cream. Really amazing experience
Chipotlemonger
AG
Very nice.

This thread is an enjoyable follow! I am a scotch novice but want to keep learning.

An Ardberg is next on my shopping list to try out.
AgBQ-00
AG
It was a great meal and the bartender gave me a very generous pour that lasted the whole meal. Really good night. So glad I have started expanding my tastes. I still love my Balvenie favorites but now know that I really.like other regions as well
John Francis Donaghy
Bringing in 2021 with a pour of BenRiach Cask Strength Batch 2 Peated. Fantastic with a single ice cube.

Happy new year!
MarathonAg12
Good Morning Ags.

Getting into Scotch for the first time.

I was reading here that Lagavulin 16 was liked. So I just picked up a bottle. What has been everyone's thoughts on it?

Would bringing this to a bachelor party in the spring be worth saving for? Or is there better stuff out there for a more grand occasion?
AgBQ-00
AG
Lagavulin 16 is a fantastic scotch. But if the party is going to have mainly bourbon or Irish whiskey drinkers it may not be appreciated very much.
MarathonAg12
AgBQ-00 said:

Lagavulin 16 is a fantastic scotch. But if the party is going to have mainly bourbon or Irish whiskey drinkers it may not be appreciated very much.

The bachelor party will actually be in Tennessee and we will be doing some type of Whisky tasting and trail.

So I assume there will be a lot of whisky drinking.....any ideas of a really good scotch that will fit into our group after coming back from a whiskey outing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.