Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,719 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08 said:

I've been thinking about getting it. But I'm not quite sure I'm far enough on training my palette to peat yet. The farthest I've gone is Oban 14.

Definitely do not make that jump. Talisker would be a good next step from Oban.
arrow
AG
The Dimple Pinch 15 may be my favorite new bottle. The scotch is pretty good too.
Scotts Tot
AG
I wouldn't say I have a particularly developed palate in that I can rattle off a bunch of tasting notes when I drink whiskey, but I just really like the way peaty scotches taste. Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Talisker, and especially Lagavulin...I enjoy all of them.

I can discern the subtleties between those, and know which I like best, but not necessarily describe the whisky with a list of other things it smells and tastes like. Still somewhat of a newbie I guess, but I figure if I enjoy the whisky, who cares?
John Francis Donaghy
FlyFisher09 said:

I wouldn't say I have a particularly developed palate in that I can rattle off a bunch of tasting notes when I drink whiskey, but I just really like the way peaty scotches taste. Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Talisker, and especially Lagavulin...I enjoy all of them.

I can discern the subtleties between those, and know which I like best, but not necessarily describe the whisky with a list of other things it smells and tastes like. Still somewhat of a newbie I guess, but I figure if I enjoy the whisky, who cares?

I am the same way. Unless a particular flavor really jumps out at me as the main flavor of the whiskey, I don't really focus on that stuff either.

The reason I suggested not to jump straight to Uigadail from Oban is because Uigadail is very heavily peated and also barrel proof. Which, I think would seem very very harsh for someone whose peatiest previous scotch was Oban which is must "smoother". I would think trying a normal strength peated scotch before jumping into the concentrated stuff is less likely to make him spit it across the room at first sip.
John Francis Donaghy
Speaking of, Maz, if you go out and buy yourself an Uigadail, make sure to get video of your first sip. Could end up being entertaining for you to see.
mazag08
AG
I REALLY enjoy the little bit of peat I've tried. I'm very tempted.

Which Talisker would be the best choice as a step up from Oban?
John Francis Donaghy
I love the plain old 10 year. It's my go-to scotch in general. Just plain good. Not quite as heavily peated as some, but enough to definitely give the idea of what peated scotch is all about. If you like it, you'll probably like pretty much anything else peated.
Scotts Tot
AG
Talisker 10 is outstanding! Plenty of peat smoke but still balanced with just enough sweetness.

I've never tried it but also heard Bunnahabhain 12 is a great transition into Islay, less peated than most.
arrow
AG
I prefer Oban 14 if I had to choose, but Talisker 10 is my favorite whisky I consider peated. Don't get me wrong, I like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Port Charlotte, etc, but Talisker 10 is an easier drink to me. I just finished a bottle of Talisker Storm and think you're better off with the 10.
mazag08
AG
I've been convinced.

Talisker 10 for my next purchase. I think after that I'll go the Port Charlotte route.
mazag08
AG
Got the Talisker 10. It was the perfect step up from what I've had before. It's definitely got the peat. I found myself almost chewing it.. it brings forward the same reaction as a smoked brisket, but then fades into a honeyed sweetness. Definitely a great scotch. Thanks for the recommendation.
Scotts Tot
Cromagnum
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

As an Islay drinker, I've never tried Uigedail. I'm interested to hear about it from some here. It seems to be highly revered by scotch nerds on the internet, and the combination of a sherry casked Islay is intriguing...

It's available for delivery from my TW for $65. The virus is putting a real dent in my whiskey inventory...planning to do some restocking.

Of the NAS Ardbegs the Uigedail is my favorite. Corryvreckan is also solid but more briney.
SpiderDude
AG

Anybody try this? I picked up a bottle recently on a whim. Figured at $40 price point it was worth trying. I dig it. I drank like a quarter bottle last night socially distancing with a friend. I dig whiskeys finished in rum barrels and this is no exception.
John Francis Donaghy
Glenlivet had a rum cask finish in their Nadurra series about 5 years that was absolutely fantastic. Hands down the best rum funished scotch I've ever had. I've been hoping they would follow up with something similar ever since. I'll be sure to grab a bottle of this. If it's half as good as that Nadurra Rum Cask was, it'll be worth every penny. Thanks for the heads up.
mazag08
AG
How does it compare to the Balvenie?
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

I'll have to try them side by side. I have both lol. The Glenlivet is NAS but I imagine it's half the age of the 14 year Balvenie.
mazag08
AG
My friend just picked up the Glenlivet Caribbean and said its really damn good. I think I'll grab it just to do the comparison.
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

I'll have to try them side by side. I have both lol. The Glenlivet is NAS but I imagine it's half the age of the 14 year Balvenie.

So I tried them side by side and surprised myself...I think the Glenlivet (at about half the price) is an overall better pour. Of course you get more oakwood from the Balvenie but it's slightly harsher to me when compared to the Glen. The extra time in barrel didn't smooth it as much as you'd think.
mazag08
AG
Visited a liquor store by my house. I've only lived in the neighborhood since January. They had a decent little selection. Prices were good on some and awful on others. But I noticed Dalmore 12 for $55. I've been seeing it for $60-$65 at the bigger chains. I asked him and he said it's an old price because they've had it a while. So I grabbed it not even noticing it was the promotional box that comes with two tasting glasses.

I got a good deal right?
AgInSingapore
AG
Saved yourself $10 (Total Wine has it at $65) so I say yes, you got a good deal.
jah003
S
I know very little about Scotch, but have a FIL who loves it. Stumbled upon this on Nextdoor...

Worth it? Seems like a great deal. Am I going to get murdered?
AgInSingapore
AG
It is a great price, I wonder why they are trying to sell it? Give any additional details in their Nextdoor post?
jah003
S
AgInSingapore said:

It is a great price, I wonder why they are trying to sell it? Give any additional details in their Nextdoor post?
Nope no details. Just that it's been in the box the whole time.
AgInSingapore
AG
I say go for it if you want to spend $200 on your FIL.
jah003
S
AgInSingapore said:

I say go for it if you want to spend $200 on your FIL.
Im going to message and see if I can get more details.
mazag08
AG
So the Talisker 10 has fully grown on me. I can safely say I enjoy that level of peat. What's my next stop? Surely I don't go all the way Ardbeg next do I?
John Francis Donaghy
I would say if you like Talisker and want more peat than that, then you like peated scotch. In which case I'm not sure there's anything out there you would totally regret buying.

If you twisted my arm to pick one, I'd probably say Lagavulen 16. Just because it's the gold standard of peated scotch. But there no more rhyme or reason to it than that. Go nuts man. Buy a few try them out, see where your tastes take you.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Lagavulen, Bruchladdich, Coal Ila, all make great stuff and they all have their own character.

Also, don't discount the one-off peated offerings from distilleries in the highlands and speyside regions that don't normally do peat. They do exprimental bottles of peated versions of their normal whiskies that can be phenomenal. BenRiach in particular does this very well.
mazag08
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

I would say if you like Talisker and want more peat than that, then you like peated scotch. In which case I'm not sure there's anything out there you would totally regret buying.

If you twisted my arm to pick one, I'd probably say Lagavulen 16. Just because it's the gold standard of peated scotch. But there no more rhyme or reason to it than that. Go nuts man. Buy a few try them out, see where your tastes take you.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Lagavulen, Bruchladdich, Coal Ila, all make great stuff and they all have their own character.

Also, don't discount the one-off peated offerings from distilleries in the highlands and speyside regions that don't normally do peat. They do exprimental bottles of peated versions of their normal whiskies that can be phenomenal. BenRiach in particular does this very well.
Thanks.

I probably won't go crazy just yet, but I'll slowly start to add to the collection. Peated's still aren't more than a once a week thing for me. My love for oaked up bourbon and sherried scotch still takes most of the time slots. But ya, I'm thinking Lagavulen 16 just based off the incredible amount of crazy good reviews. I'm already a fan of Bruichladdich Classic Laddie, so maybe getting into one of their peated offerings would be a good next step.
jh0400
AG
You could also look into Campbeltown scotches like a Longrow or Springbank. The Longrow single cask wine finishes are usually pretty good.
Scotts Tot
AG
In my experience I've found that once I gained an enjoyment of the peated stuff, that's what I go for more often than the Speys or Highlands. Lagavulin is awesome if you're up for dropping $90-100, but Ardbeg 10 is also great for much less. I personally prefer both of those (and Talisker) to the character of Laphroaig.

One cool thing that I've noticed as a less experienced whiskey drinker is that after developing a taste for peated scotch, I have been able to discern more nuance in less intensely flavored whiskies. Almost like your taste buds get a stress test with the Islays, then they have a much easier time with more mellow scotches and bourbons.
Scotts Tot
AG
Picked up an Uigeadail a couple of weeks ago and have now had a few tastings...

WOW! This is easily the most intensely flavored thing I have ever drank. The flavors are huge and it packs a punch at 108 proof. The smell jumps out at you long before you bring it in for a sip. I get more of the dark fruit sherry influence on the nose, then the taste is all smoke, and a lot of it. The only way I can describe it is like sticking your head in a smoker with some kind of sweet barbecue like ribs or something, and tasting that smell. Obviously my descriptions are inadequate, but that's my experience with it.

As a barbecue lover and enjoyer of smoky flavors in general, I'm sort of obsessed with this already...
mazag08
AG
I think I'll have to pass on this one then. I too am a BBQ lover, but there's only so much I can take when it comes to experiencing that in a flavor from something that's not BBQ. Perhaps it would go great with a smoked brisket. After each bite you take a sip, and you never lose the flavor.
Scotts Tot
AG
To further the point about barbecue, I get a distinct meaty note on the palate. Interestingly, I don't see this in the tasting notes most others on the internet have put forward, but Ardbeg's label says "Treacle, Bacon, Bonfires", and the meatiness is apparent for me.

Could also be that my brain so readily associates that level of smoke with brisket and ribs that it's subliminal...who knows.
mazag08
AG
That's actually how I feel about the Talisker after the initial sweetness fades. I can't imagine getting a full taste of that without the sweet primer up front.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.