Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,591 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will admit I do not typically drink expensive scotch, but I recently won a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask at a work function. Anyone had any experience with it that enjoyed it? or should I try to trade/sell?
John Francis Donaghy
There isn't usually a secondary market for selling/trading scotch like there is for bourbon. The rare cask is quite good, if you like sherried scotches you'll enjoy it. But like most Macallans it's overpriced for what it is, in my opinion. But hey, you didn't pay for it. So enjoy!

If it were me AND I could find someone to sell it to for cost, or even a little below, I might sell it and go buy 2 or 3 bottles of stuff I really enjoy with the proceeds. But if not, I'd still very much enjoy drinking it knowing I didn't have to cough up the cash for it.
CFTXAG10
AG
Appreciate the feedback!
AggieBarstool
Call me simple, but I tried the 10 yr. Glenfiddich about a week ago. It was delicious! My past experience with scotch has been Balvenie and Johnny Walker, so trying something new was refreshing. I def. plan to pick some up soon.
mazag08
AG
Anyone tried Oban Little Bay? Just got it. It's not bad. I wish it had a little more punch, but the flavor is wonderful even though it doesn't last long.

Also, Im a scotch fan in general, but I'm not well versed on a lot of the popular distilleries and I really haven't expanded my palette much in the last 5 years. I get tired of reading reviews where people are tasting apples, captain crunch, roasted chocolate, and banana pudding when they describe scotch. I know that with time and practice you can start picking out flavors, but it still seems ridiculous to me.. and even more so when every review is a complete 180 because people are obviously trying too hard. So I really don't know where to turn, but I want to try something new.

Ones I've tried and liked..

Aberlour A'bunadh (favorite), Glenlivet 12 (suitable every day dram) MacAllan 12, Edradour 10, Johnny Black, and Johnny finished in American rye casks (big rye fan, so I enjoyed this one).

Ones I didn't like..

Tomintoul 10, Ardbeg 10, Dewars 12

I really don't like peat blasts. But I also don't like tart raisen flavor. I'd say my budget is up to $80. Any recs?
Ag_07
AG
Balvenie Caribbean Cask

It's a great scotch and being aged in rum casks gives it a nice hint of sweetness
John Francis Donaghy
mazag08 said:

Anyone tried Oban Little Bay? Just got it. It's not bad. I wish it had a little more punch, but the flavor is wonderful even though it doesn't last long.

Also, Im a scotch fan in general, but I'm not well versed on a lot of the popular distilleries and I really haven't expanded my palette much in the last 5 years. I get tired of reading reviews where people are tasting apples, captain crunch, roasted chocolate, and banana pudding when they describe scotch. I know that with time and practice you can start picking out flavors, but it still seems ridiculous to me.. and even more so when every review is a complete 180 because people are obviously trying too hard. So I really don't know where to turn, but I want to try something new.

Ones I've tried and liked..

Aberlour A'bunadh (favorite), Glenlivet 12 (suitable every day dram) MacAllan 12, Edradour 10

Ones I didn't like..

Tomintoul 10, Ardbeg 10, Dewars 12

I really don't like peat blasts. But I also don't like tart raisen flavor. I'd say my budget is up to $80. Any recs?

Sounds like you prefer mild and sherried highland/speysides. For more in that vein, try pretty much anything from Balvenie and GlenDronach.

For something more similar to Oban, with the light peat flavor, try some stuff from Clynelish and Highland Park. Clynelish is most similar to Oban, but with a little more flavor IMO. While Highland Park is a good bottle to get that same flavor combo with a lower price tag.
mazag08
AG
Thanks!

I've considered Balvenie before but for some reason it didn't sound up my alley. Might just need to take the plunge.
62strat
AG
Quite a collection up for auction

Whisky auction
jh0400
AG
For cask strength sherry bombs I prefer Balvenie 15 to A'bunadh. It's ~$30 more, but it's worth it IMO.
arrow
AG
Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or
Balvenie 12 or 15
And Oban 14 if you haven't already. (My favorite)
Cromagnum
AG
Got to try an Ardbeg 19 for a $10 pull and a Glendronach 27 for a $25 pull the other day. Rosewater in Clear Lake always has good break even bottles.
TamuKid
AG
My grandma has a Macallan 25 Year Anniversary Malt, Distilled in 1970, Bottled in 1996.
If anyone has interest in this, DM me please. It was my grandfather's, who has passed away.
mazag08
AG
TamuKid said:

My grandma has a Macallan 25 Year Anniversary Malt, Distilled in 1970, Bottled in 1996.
If anyone has interest in this, DM me please. It was my grandfather's, who has passed away.

I'm interested. but I can't pay what you should rightfully get for it.
jh0400
AG
Unless you or she needs the money, why not drink it?
TamuKid
AG
jh0400 said:

Unfortunately, she does need the money. Otherwise, I'd agree and I think she would too!
mazag08
AG
TamuKid said:

jh0400 said:

Unfortunately, she does need the money. Otherwise, I'd agree and I think she would too!

I'm assuming you know what it's worth? Or have an idea?
TamuKid
AG
Done some research online as best I can for her; surfing similar closed auctions, emailing places for valuations, and asking price reference groups on FB. From what I've gotten it seems like $2500-$3000? I know the 2018 release retails for $1700.
mazag08
AG
TamuKid said:

Done some research online as best I can for her; surfing similar closed auctions, emailing places for valuations, and asking price reference groups on FB. From what I've gotten it seems like $2500-$3000? I know the 2018 release retails for $1700.

So if I offer $500 I'm SOL right?
MEENag
AG
Received Oban 14 today. Might be my new fave. Will need a couple more sittings since my tastes can vary from one day to the next.
Previous fave was Springbank 10.
Laphroaig 10 is also very high.
Have Balvenie Caribbean Cask and Double Oak but found them to be good but not great.
That is all.
mazag08
AG
MEENag said:

Received Oban 14 today. Might be my new fave. Will need a couple more sittings since my tastes can vary from one day to the next.
Previous fave was Springbank 10.
Laphroaig 10 is also very high.
Have Balvenie Caribbean Cask and Double Oak but found them to be good but not great.
That is all.

Have you tried Oban Little Bay? It's really grown on me. Fantastic flavor for the price. Tiny amount of peat, which is the most I prefer.
MEENag
AG
Not yet. I'll put it on the list, but maybe not til I've been through a least one more bottle of the Oban 14. Still loving it.
I'm a fan of the peaty stuff. I miss the peatiness when there isn't even a hint of it.
jh0400
AG
If you like Springbank check out Longrow. Their wine cask finishes are great.
V8Aggie
AG
I'm going to ask a silly question, but if I tend to prefer rye whiskey what would be a good scotch to grab and try?
Attoyac
All roads lead back to Glenlivet. For the Christmas holiday's it was Glenlivet, and Lagavulin.
To me, Glenlivet is the best ALL around scotch.
Famous Grouse is my weekly go to.
Attoyac
Great inexpensive scotch. A liquor salesman from Dallas turned me on to it. He said it is what the majority of the Scot's drink.
mazag08
AG
V8Aggie said:

I'm going to ask a silly question, but if I tend to prefer rye whiskey what would be a good scotch to grab and try?
Johnny Walker had a rye cask finish at one point. Not sure if its still available. I was new(ish) to scotch when I got gifted the bottle and loved every sip as a hardcore rye fan.
mazag08
AG
Has anyone tried any American Single Malts? It seems to be a category starting to really take off here in the states, but I don't think I've tried any. Colorado, Oregon, and New York seem to put out the bulk of the product. I'd be interested in hearing how some of them compare to similar aged, wellthought of Scotch.
TamuKid
AG
mazag08 said:

Has anyone tried any American Single Malts? It seems to be a category starting to really take off here in the states, but I don't think I've tried any. Colorado, Oregon, and New York seem to put out the bulk of the product. I'd be interested in hearing how some of them compare to similar aged, wellthought of Scotch.

I've had the Balcones Single Malt and the Pfluger Single Malt (by Spirit if Texas). Actually drank the Pfluger last night. Wet wood, unripe banana on the nose. Not very sweet, somewhat sour almost. Apple/Banana, cinnamon and vanilla taste. I actually really enjoyed it.

The Balcones has more oomph, also very good.
TamuKid
AG
Aaaaaaaand bottle killed the Balcones tonight with a heavy pour.

Road_ag
AG
V8Aggie said:

Try Glenmorangie Spios. It's on the pricey side but I like it a lot and am a big fan of rye whiskey.
dummble
AG
The bourbon people sent me here. I was in Greenville SC earlier this week and every store had the Lagavulin 12yr cask strength and I am kicking myself for coming home without buying it. Anyone have a line on that in Houston?
Johnsy3
AG
mazag08 said:

Stranahan's in Colorado is my favorite whiskey. In terms of flavor I guess it'd be close to a Speyside whiskey (Balvenie, Macallan, Aberlour). There's some caramel, spice, vanilla, and oak flavors. Not fruity or nutty to me. Finally got to camp out at the distillery in December and snagged two bottles of Snowflake.

The only other ASM I've tried is Balcones Single Malt, which is fantastic too.

ASM aren't aged as long as Scotches because they're aged in a new American Oak barrels rather than used bourbon barrels
mazag08
AG
Johnsy3 said:

mazag08 said:

Stranahan's in Colorado is my favorite whiskey. In terms of flavor I guess it'd be close to a Speyside whiskey (Balvenie, Macallan, Aberlour). There's some caramel, spice, vanilla, and oak flavors. Not fruity or nutty to me. Finally got to camp out at the distillery in December and snagged two bottles of Snowflake.

The only other ASM I've tried is Balcones Single Malt, which is fantastic too.

ASM aren't aged as long as Scotches because they're aged in a new American Oak barrels rather than used bourbon barrels

Considering I'm in love with Aberlour, you have me intrigued.
reveille23
What part of town are you in? Total Wine Pearland has it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.