Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,601 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

First time coming to this thread. Bought my first scotch for the home earlier this week. Previously, I had only had it while at others' places. Lagavulin 8 year for their 200 yr anniversary in 2016.
Still have this, but it's about gone. Thanks for whoever bumped this thread, lets keep it going.
'03ag
Picked this up at Goody Goody the other day for $28. Tomatin, 12 years old, bourbon and sherry cask aged.

I thought it was pretty good for that price. Very approachable for single malt beginners. I will probably keep it on hand if $28 is the going rate.

BCS08
AG
howdy everyone, been hunting around for a bottle of the discontinued Macallan Cask Strength. Any chance someone here has one they would be willing to part with?
drred4
I could have swore I saw one at Twin Liqours one of the times I was in their in CS. I will check Friday
John Francis Donaghy
BCS08 said:

howdy everyone, been hunting around for a bottle of the discontinued Macallan Cask Strength. Any chance someone here has one they would be willing to part with?

Can't help you with the Macallan, but if you can't find one, try Aberlour A'Bunadh, Tamdhu Batch Strength, or GledDronach Cask Strength.

All three are cask strengh Highlands/Speysides aged exclusively in sherry casks, just like the Macallan you're looking for. They will all have that same strong, fruity, almost syrupy thick flavor you're looking for.
John Francis Donaghy
Yep, the Tomatin 12 is a great low-cost bottle to keep on hand. Looks like they changed the packaging, used to be a taller slimmer bottle with a black label. Plenty good enough to enjoy neat or on the rocks and cheap enough to use for scotch based cocktails if a guest asks for one without making the vein on your forehead throb like an angry sci fi movie monster.
HTownAg98
Twin Liquors is having their $1 sale March 1-3. This is my bi-annual liquor stockup time.
'03ag
I think this is a different bottling. A 12yr with black label is still available, but it was more expensive.

This one has a pretty heavy apple note. You can smell it when you open the bottle.
GAC06
AG
BCS08 said:

Try their "Classic Cut" 2017 limited edition. I loved the cask strength, and this is very similar in my opinion. This one doesn't specifically say cask strength anywhere on the bottle but it's 58.4% so it's gotta be close. Specs in Dallas ( Walnut Hill) has it.
FlyFish95
Balvenie 14 is really good stuff. Tried it for the first time.
Ag_07
AG
I haven't had a Balvenie I didn't enjoy. The Caribbean Cask is my favorite followed closely by the Balvenie Doublewood.

Good stuff
drred4
Agree on The Balvenie. I have not had any that I did not like. Picked up a Portwood 21 and Doublewood 17 the other day. Have not tried those yet. Sipping on a Glenlivet Nadurra. It is 60.3%, pretty good stuff
FlyFish95
How's the Portwood?
drred4
DryFly said:

How's the Portwood?

Might be a while before I open. Bought for a special occasion. Heard good things though. We'll see
Cromagnum
AG
DryFly said:

How's the Portwood?

It is excellent. I bought a bottle two years ago on my wife and my anniversary. If you don't have a special occasion to celebrate, watch out because this one will disappear on you.
Cromagnum
AG
Picked up two bottles the other day. Downtown Specs had the Ledaig for half off. It is fairly peaty, but balanced. can Not bad for the 49 I paid.
The Springbank has a very unique taste and has a very oily body. It is quite good.

Cromagnum
AG
Shout out to Ralfy who some folks may not be aware of. He has over 700 review videos up. Sounds like an awful job.

John Francis Donaghy
Cromagnum said:

Picked up two bottles the other day. Downtown Specs had the Ledaig for half off. It is fairly peaty, but balanced. can Not bad for the 49 I paid.
The Springbank has a very unique taste and has a very oily body. It is quite good.

Not every day you see someone speak highly of a Campbelltown. I love them, but most folks hate them. You, sir, possess rare and excellent taste.
Cromagnum
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Cromagnum said:

Not every day you see someone speak highly of a Campbelltown. I love them, but most folks hate them. You, sir, possess rare and excellent taste.

First one we've tried over here. I have not had anything quite like it, but I am already a big fan.
Cromagnum
AG
Ryan34 said:

Quote:

The Ardbeg Uigadail is a phenomenal scotch in its own right, but it is powerfully smoky. I like smoky peated scotches, and this one is too much for me most of the time. I have to really be in the mood for it or else it just tastes like I threw a handfull of soot in my mouth. So unless you know fore sure that he really loves powerfully peaty scotches, I would avoid it as a gift.

Came here to ask about this very one. Might be picking some up later.

If you like some power in your scotch, this is a good one. Fair amount of smoke but it has a hell of a lot of character to it. I very much love this one.
Cromagnum
AG
Best scotch I've had to date was a 1984 Glenrothes. You might still be able to buy a dram at Veritas in College Station. Any of the old school Glenrothes are excellent speysides.
John Francis Donaghy
Cromagnum said:

Cromagnum said:

First one we've tried over here. I have not had anything quite like it, but I am already a big fan.

There's only a handful of distilleries producing Campbelltowns these days, Spring Bank and Glen Scotia being the big ones. Campbelltowns are peaty, oily, and almost briny. Huge influence from the sea air. They're a nice change of pace from the island whiskies that tend to go all in on peatsmoke. Good change up every once in a while, when I get bored with the same ol same ol.
HouseDivided06
AG
Love Springbank. First time I had it was when a friend had bought a bottle of it on a recommendation and he couldn't even finish his pour. He said if I liked it I could have it. Took one sip and was blown away. I don't buy a ton of scotch now but Springbank 10 is my go to if I do. Just really damn good flavor, love the brininess, and enough peat to make it interesting without being a peat monster. Might need to go buy a bottle soon actually...
djmeen95
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Love Springbank. First time I had it was when a friend had bought a bottle of it on a recommendation and he couldn't even finish his pour. He said if I liked it I could have it. Took one sip and was blown away. I don't buy a ton of scotch now but Springbank 10 is my go to if I do. Just really damn good flavor, love the brininess, and enough peat to make it interesting without being a peat monster. Might need to go buy a bottle soon actually...

Count me in the Springbank fan club. Love their scotches. If ya ever find yourself in Singapore, do yourself a favor and visit Quaich Bar on Havelock Rd. Most amazing collection of Springbanks I've ever seen in one place. Springbank Local Barley 10; Springbank Green 13; the 10, 12, 15, 18 and more! Dizzying collection of scotches but the Springbanks stood out.
drred4
Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Spios. This is aged in ex Rye whiskey barrels. The aging in the barrels really shows up to me after initial taste. May have to pick up another.
Ulrich
Singleton of Glen Ord 12

I tried some today and it was really, really good. I'm usually into the smoky stuff and this is much more toward the middle of the chart, but it was incredibly smooth. I'd like a bottle for myself and one to use for introducing people to scotch, but unfortunately I will not be in the only two places it is available any time soon: Muir of Ord in Scotland, or southeast Asia.

Has anyone else tried it, and does anyone know how to get their hands on scotch that's not widely available?
Cromagnum
AG
Tried some Hazelburn 12 at The Republic yesterday. I think this might be in my top 5 now. Definitely going to have to snag a bottle of that one.
62strat
AG
Wanna get my neighbor a thank you for helping me with stuff, and saw Oban 14 was on sale for $55 near me. Is that a good price or is this a marked up-then on sale deal?
Cromagnum
AG
62strat said:

Wanna get my neighbor a thank you for helping me with stuff, and saw Oban 14 was on sale for $55 near me. Is that a good price or is this a marked up-then on sale deal?

From recollection it seems about avg price to me. Maybe 5-10 cheaper if anything.
FTAG 2000
AG
Are Dalmores worth the hype?

Neighbor has an opportunity to get a 21 at retail, worth it?
chap
AG
62strat said:

I just got a bottle for $81 at Specs last week!
jh0400
AG

Cromagnum said:

Cromagnum said:

There's only a handful of distilleries producing Campbelltowns these days, Spring Bank and Glen Scotia being the big ones. Campbelltowns are peaty, oily, and almost briny. Huge influence from the sea air. They're a nice change of pace from the island whiskies that tend to go all in on peatsmoke. Good change up every once in a while, when I get bored with the same ol same ol.

Late reply, but I'm a fan of the Longrow cask finish series. The Pinot Noir and Malbec finishes were good. I bought a friend a bottle of the nine year Sauternes finish and wish I'd bought one for myself as well. It was one of my favorite pours ever.
John Francis Donaghy
jh0400 said:

Cromagnum said:

Cromagnum said:

Late reply, but I'm a fan of the Longrow cask finish series. The Pinot Noir and Malbec finishes were good. I bought a friend a bottle of the nine year Sauternes finish and wish I'd bought one for myself as well. It was one of my favorite pours ever.

Never heard of Longrow, but one of my favorite pours of all time was an Isle of Arran finished in Amarone barrels, which is sadly no longer available.

I bet that Malbec finish would be pretty similar. Is that Longrow Cask Finish line readily available in the states?
jh0400
AG
I've bought all of them at Spec's, but they can be scarce.
John Francis Donaghy
jh0400 said:

I've bought all of them at Spec's, but they can be scarce.

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the info.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.