Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,594 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was given a Tomatin 12 for Christmas. Yes, it's cheap, but I would recommend a blend, or just about anything else over it. There's a reason that ~80% of production is sold for blends.
FlyFish95
I picked up a bottle of Nikka the other day. Tasty stuff, but a tad spendy.
Ag_07
AG
Snagged up a bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014

Needless to say I'll be going back to pick up a few more. Fantastic leathery, smoky, smooth scotch. Very well balanced and certainly not as overpowering as a typical Lophroaig. At $55 it's an absolute steal.

Bad news is it was the 2014 edition and not many places still have it. I'll be stashing a few in the liquor cabinet.
jh0400
AG
Where did you find it for $55? I paid close to $80 for mine at Specs IIRC.
Ag_07
AG
I bought the first bottle at a little liquor store in the neighborhood and then went to Specs downtown to stock up. Much to my disappointment I got the last bottle at Specs for $55. Think it's been price slashed now that 2015 is out.

The neighborhood store had a few bottles on the shelf that I'm go snatch up. I'll post on here and if I get enough I may part with a couple.
West Texan
AG
quote:
I bought the first bottle at a little liquor store in the neighborhood and then went to Specs downtown to stock up. Much to my disappointment I got the last bottle at Specs for $55. Think it's been price slashed now that 2015 is out.

The neighborhood store had a few bottles on the shelf that I'm go snatch up. I'll post on here and if I get enough I may part with a couple.

I'm jealous. When I went to the liquor store Monday I saw a bottle for $85.
jh0400
AG
I'll take one off your hands if you can get an extra for $55. That's a steal.
FlyFish95
Ace3xl
Sorry I'm posting this also in the Bourbon thread:

Ok guys, long time lurker and I'm looking for an opinion. I'm being laid off from my job on the 31st. The last three weeks I've been raking in a ton of goodbye gifts. Finally brought them home today. My daughter is spending Christmas with her mom, and my roommate went out of town. So I have a few days to myself. Which should I crack open and try this weekend? Here is the list:

Maker's 46
Booker's
Zaya 12yr Rum
Doorly's XO Rum
Balvenie Double Wood 12yr
Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14yr
Glenfiddich Burbon Barrel Reserve 14yr
Deep Eddy Lemon Vodka
and a way too big bottle of Myer's Rum

What do you think. I made some lemonade with the vodka earlier, but I want to crack something open to sip on for the weekend.
Whoop04
quote:

Can't go wrong with either. Probably drink them in that order.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

Can't go wrong with either. Probably drink them in that order.

2nd this

Although I'd switch the two. That Caribbean Cask is one of my favorites. Both are solid choices.
Whoop04
I had the double wood as the opening act. But hell, open them both and go back and forth.
FlyFish95
Cracked open Lagavulin Distillers Edition and Glenmorangie Signet today. The Signet is amazing.
Ag_07
AG
So my neighborhood joint only had 1 bottle left (still priced at $57).

I'm gonna stop buy a few places this week and see if they have any more. I'd like at least one more bottle for the cabinet.

Stay tuned.
YouBet
AG
I've never heard of this Scotch but if you can find Old Pulteney 17 it's a great scotch. Buddy of mine has some he bought in Scotland which we drank this week. He has not found it in Dallas yet so not sure if it's distributed here or not.

Old Pulteney 17
AgInSingapore
AG
Old Pulteney 17 should be available at Spec's. And I agree, it is a fine malt.
FlyFish95
quote:
I've never heard of this Scotch but if you can find Old Pulteney 17 it's a great scotch. Buddy of mine has some he bought in Scotland which we drank this week. He has not found it in Dallas yet so not sure if it's distributed here or not.

Old Pulteney 17

I've got the Old Pulteney 21. It's ok, but not great. I cracked open a Highland Park 18 this afternoon. Fantastic stuff.
djmeen95
AG
Highland Park 18 - love that stuff!
Old School Rucking
AG
quote:
Highland Park 18 - love that stuff!

You can go wrong with any version of Highland Park. Just cracked open a bottle of Einar for Hogmanay, and got a bottle of Odin I'm saving for Up Helly Aa.
YouBet
AG

On a separate note I also had some Macallan 18 to compare to the Old Pulteney. The Macallan 18 was very underwhelming. Don't understand the hype; especially for the price.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:

On a separate note I also had some Macallan 18 to compare to the Old Pulteney. The Macallan 18 was very underwhelming. Don't understand the hype; especially for the price.

Agree. MacAllan has always been very boring to me. Way better stuff out there for way less money.
VegasT
AG
Has anyone attended or planing on attending the Twin Liquors Robert Burns Scotch Tasting? I was curious if it was worth attending. Please share any experiences. Thanks!
ZofranAggie
AG
Just polishing off a bottle of Dalmore 12. I'm a relative scotch newbie, so between that and the Glenlivet 12 I've eased my way in. I'm thinking of moving to Oban 14. Any other suggestions?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bonfiresmoke
Well I am a bourbon drinker, but I saw a bottle of Johnnie Walker Rye Cask Finish and decided to try it. I really like it. A lot of good flavors coming out of this. I got a lot of caramel from it. I went back to Specs in CS and they sold out. Went to Twin and they had some so I picked up a few extra bottles. I hear it is a limited edition run. What are you thoughts on this selection?
Whoop04
quote:
Just polishing off a bottle of Dalmore 12. I'm a relative scotch newbie, so between that and the Glenlivet 12 I've eased my way in. I'm thinking of moving to Oban 14. Any other suggestions?

Balvenie Doublewood.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:

Glenlivet is a good basic starter scotch. The Dalmore is a great introduction for a rich sherried malt. Oban would a fantastic next step. It's lightly peated, so it's going to have a smoky earthy flavor that the other two dont. But it's not going to be overpoweringly smoky. If you like the smoke flavors in the Oban then there are fantastic options to branch into. If not, it's probably still mild enough for you to enjoy the rest of the bottle, and you'll know what you don't like moving forward (yet).

Let us know what you think.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Any variety of Highland Park
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask

Venture into deep waters, go get a Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask

Venture into deep waters, go get a Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin.

I love these scotches, but I listed a few that I thought were more geared to a Scotch newbie. Islays are going to pack a punch of smoke and peat, and a newbie may need to ease himself into one of those.
BL_45_acp
Just got. Back, it was educational. It was all blends of Johnny Walker from black , double, rye cask, gold, and a premium. 35-around 100 a bottle. Small sips good info (basics) and compared to some other Robert Burns Single Malts
GIF Reactor
AG
+1 for the Balvenie caribbean cask. Good stuff. But so is the regular Balvenie.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I had a scotch blend in Park City this weekend from High West Distillery that was fantastic. It's called Campfire and is a scotch, bourbon, rye blend, but is very smoky and peaty. Had more than a couple of them. I brought back a bottle for my inlaws for watching our dog while we were gone and I can't wait to have another taste of it.
IlluvatarAg98
AG
Oban 14
Aggiemundo
AG
Hoping I can get some advice on selecting a good bottle single malt for a work colleague who is a bit of a Scotch connoisseur. Long story short one of my team members messed up and I'm hoping good booze can smooth it over.

I'm a bourbon guy myself, but I know the guy likes the smokey peaty single malts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
djmeen95
AG
If it's a serious screw up.... Lagavulin 16.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.