Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,530 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oog-a-dahl, name comes from the wheelock above the distillery. Pretty darn good stuff. If you can find them on the shelf, some of Ardbeg's special releases are pretty good water of life options as well.

Alligator (name comes from the level of char in the barrel, burnt so much it looks like alligator hide)
Supernova (2009 release, haven't had the later releases)
Corryvreckan
Alt A'Bhainne

As for the Galileo release, fun to try but not what I wanted with an Ardbeg, similar to how I feel about the unpeated version (Blasda).
FtBendTxAg
AG
how is the peat monster and oak cross?
Whoop04
quote:
how is the peat monster and oak cross?

Both are mediocre imo
ChipFTAC01
AG
Currently sitting in the dark with a big glass of Famous Grouse. It's pretty much my favorite cheap liquor ever. My mother in law always has a handle sitting in the bar. There's just something about it that works for me.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Currently sitting in the dark with a big glass of Famous Grouse. It's pretty much my favorite cheap liquor ever. My mother in law always has a handle sitting in the bar. There's just something about it that works for me.
I agree. Solid basic scotch to keep on hand for when you don't want anything too sweet or complicated.
AgInSingapore
AG
Emirates lounge in Dubai and they keep bringing me Glenfiddich 12... or I keep asking for it. Unfortunately that is their only single that I've seen, but at least it is a serviceable dram. Only 3 hours till boarding.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Can't believe the emirates lounge would only have one single!
Trajan88
AG
Visited Edinburgh last year and tasted this... now have a bottle..

AggieChemist
AG
My current lineup is a little all over the place.

I have

Glenmorangie 10
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Glenmorangie Lasanta
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Caol Isla 12
Highland Park Einar
Dalmore 12
Aberlour 12

But I mostly drink bourbon.
West Texan
AG
I picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder today. I'm a fan, especially for the price. Nice and easy to sip on, kind of sweet and salty. Good change of pace from the peaty scotches I usually drink.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I bought a bottle of that one time and was disappointed. I don't remember why I was disappointed, just that I didn't really care for it.
AgInSingapore
AG
Back in Dubai airport and looked for something other than Glenfiddich 12, no dice in the lounge. Oh well, it's free and I was crushing Lagavulin in St. Pete the past 3 days so life isn't all bad.
bigpoppaf204
AG
My favorite cheap blended bottle is The Black Bottle.
dustin999
AG
So I take it glenfiddich sucks?

I am more of a bourbon/tequila person, but a few years ago my wife got me a bottle of glenlivet 12 and it was good.

Tonight I stopped at twin liquors on a whim and decided to break from bourbon and try the glenfiddich 12, not that impressed, although I'm sure I'll suck it up, do my job, and finish the bottle...
AgInSingapore
AG
It isn't that is sucks, it's just that there are better 12 year old drams available. I would have been quite happy with a 15 year old Glenfiddich for an airport lounge whisky, but it wasn't in the cards. Maybe they will have upgraded when I pass back through on the 1st of December.
Dumpster Fire
Anyone had the Glenmorangie 18 "extremely rare"?

FlyFish95
quote:
Anyone had the Glenmorangie 18 "extremely rare"?

I have not, but I heard mixed reviews. Apparently it's not what you'd normally expect/get from an 18 yr scotch.
RangerRick9211
AG
Whatever your preference. Enjoy it with Nick Offerman this holiday season:
aggiebq03+
Found some Balvenie 14yo Caribbean Cask here in Baku. Pretty good stuff and would buy again.
FlyFish95
I picked up a cash strength Edradour 8 year matured in sherry casks. It's a total sherry bomb and quite tasty. If you're interested in checking it out, you can only find it as Specs.
HTownAg98
So I picked up a bottle of Dalmore 12 today. Lots of honey, caramel, crime brulee on the nose. Taste has a lot of honey, candied lemon peel, prune, and maybe some dried cherry. There's some tobacco and chocolate on the finish, and it's got a little more heat than I'd like. It's rich and has a thick mouthfeel.
Anyone else had this?
West Texan
AG
Needed a break from the bourbon kick I'd been on and am currently sipping on GlenDronach 12. This was the first single malt I'd ever had, and it's still one of my favorites.
FlyFish95
quote:
Needed a break from the bourbon kick I'd been on and am currently sipping on GlenDronach 12. This was the first single malt I'd ever had, and it's still one of my favorites.

Big Bang for the buck
edwardsk2003
AG

I didn't buy a bottle... but at dinner last summer in Inverness.... I did get a dram from this bottle.

FlyFish95
So how was it?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Hey guys, new to the thread. I need a recommendation for a good $30-40 scotch. For what it's worth my favorite is Bushmill 16. Oddly, not a fan of Glenlivet 15 if that gives you an idea of my taste. I appreciate any recommendations.
FlyFish95
$25 - $30 is a tough window. Personally I think you're gonna need to go mid $40's at least. Glendronach 12 is always my go to rec in that range.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Price range updates. Thanks!
edwardsk2003
AG
I'd go w Glenlivet... 12yr. $35 (I think)
FlyFish95
Might spend a tad more and try something like Balvenie 12 or Highland Park 12.
GregZeppelin
AG
The Bushmills 16 is a port barrel finished whiskey, which gives it a rich, sweet flavor. So if you're looking for something similar for less money, check labels to see if something is port-finished. Sherry finished whiskies will be fairly similar, and have more options than just port-finish alone.

My first Rec would be anything from GlenDronach. They all have that sweet rich character, and even their lower-end products are phenomenal.

Balvenie Doublewood and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben should also be up your alley, but may be a little above your preferred price-point.

For a cheaper option I'd take a look at Tomatin 12. It's sherry finished so it's got some sweetness, but it's not as rich as some of the others I mentioned. But it should come in near the bottom of your range at about $25 a bottle, and it's a nice basic sipper.
Proc92
quote:
Hey guys, new to the thread. I need a recommendation for a good $30-40 scotch. For what it's worth my favorite is Bushmill 16. Oddly, not a fan of Glenlivet 15 if that gives you an idea of my taste. I appreciate any recommendations.
great king st.
West Texan
AG
Picked up Ardbeg 10 to share with my brother on Christmas, but broke into it early for a trial run. It's got that good smoky peaty profile that I love, but it's fairly light on the finish. Not bad at all, especially for being a cheaper single malt.
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed a GlenDronach 15 today for Christmas Eve, good thing I should only have a half day tomorrow.

Currently sipping Glenlivet 15 before bedtime.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Had dinner over at my in-laws last night and after dinner they decided to put on a movie with some wine. I head for the bar like I do every other time I'm over there. MIL usually always has a bottle of Grouse that's my go-to (actually had it for the first time at her house years ago) but she also had a brand new bottle of Glenmorangie, which is my everyday scotch at home.

I guess I'm just wired to not dip into people's good spirits because I poured the Grouse instead of the GM. At my house I save the Grouse for that last glass of the night that I don't really need and won't really appreciate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.