Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,356 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Although the cilantro sausage was legit
BurnetAggie99
John Mueller closed last year cause he didn't pay his taxes
OregonAggie
AG
Damn I didn't know that. We went there in July or August last year before he closed apparently.

Damn that guy knew what the hell he was doing...aside from how to pay taxes I guess.
slickwilly107
He was there on Saturday at the same time I was.

Beef rib is just decadent. So rich that it is hard to finish. But you will......
gigem70
AG
Stop by Southside Market in Elgin today and the brisket and sausage was damn good.
CDub06
AG
Went by Corkscrew. Top notch as usual. Brisket, ribs - duh. But I swear that pulled pork is the best anywhere.
byfLuger41
AG
CDub06 said:

Went by Corkscrew. Top notch as usual. Brisket, ribs - duh. But I swear that pulled pork is the best anywhere.

What did you think of the new pork?
CDub06
AG
I actually commented that it was the best I've ever had from them - even with as high of a bar they've set. I didn't realize they were using new pork.
agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

I actually commented that it was the best I've ever had from them - even with as high of a bar they've set. I didn't realize they were using new pork.
This guy has to have some ownership stake in this place with as much as he talks about it.
byfLuger41
AG
agcrock2005 said:

CDub06 said:

This guy has to have some ownership stake in this place with as much as he talks about it.

I have zero stake in Cork...zero!

I'm just a Cork groupie.
Greeze06
AG
I knew you were a Cork Soaker from the first post I saw of you!
byfLuger41
AG
I can deep throat two Cork's at the same time!
agcrock2005
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

I can deep throat two Cork's at the same time!
txag1994
AG
CDub06
AG
Alright, back to business.

The new list should be published in June. I've been off my game recently, but am trying desperately to make a trip to San Antonio to visit 2M before the list spoils the fun. I'm probably going to try Guess Family in Waco for the first time this weekend as well.
CDub06
AG
Went to Guess Family as promised. Really REALLY good stuff. Worth a trip from College Station. They nailed the ribs and brisket. The daily special was Spicy Beef Cheek. I will certainly be back.
AggieStout
AG
These guys are saying that Franklin's will be overtaken at #1 b y Killen's and that Styles Switch will be higher ranked than Franklin's.

Not sure that Styles should be in the top 5 based on the 2 times I have had them. I was not impressed but this was a couple of year ago, maybe they have gotten better.

http://texasbbqposse.com/2017/04/killens-will-1-texas-monthlys-top-50-bbq-list-posse-predicts.html#comment-1775
agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

Went to Guess Family as promised. Really REALLY good stuff. Worth a trip from College Station. They nailed the ribs and brisket. The daily special was Spicy Beef Cheek. I will certainly be back.
Damn. Drove through the cesspool of Waco yesterday. Will have to stop next time passing through.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Not sure that Styles should be in the top 5 based on the 2 times I have had them. I was not impressed but this was a couple of year ago, maybe they have gotten better.
That would be shocking. I'd be surprised if they were in the top 5 in Austin. I only went to Styles once but that's because it was awful. Guess I could've been on a bad day, but based on my one trip, it's hard to believe that it could be better than Franklin.
CDub06
AG
I love Stiles Switch, but I've never had anything there that puts them in the top 3 in Austin IMO. As far as atmosphere and management, they nail it, but the meats further south outshine them.

Cattlelack is the only one on their list that I haven't been to. If I can manage a trip up to the metroplex, I can knock off several of my to-dos before the list comes out.

I honestly think Franklin belongs at #1 on any list, but I'm not mad if Killen's takes the top spot.

I plan on hitting 2M Smokehouse on Sunday in my pre-Top 50 hype tour.
jh0400
AG
I still don't get the love for Louie Mueller. When we were there I thought the meats were generally well cooked, but the quarter inch thick crust of black pepper overshadowed everything.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Cattlelack is the only one on their list that I haven't been to. If I can manage a trip up to the metroplex, I can knock off several of my to-dos before the list comes out.
I'm trying to go either Thursday or Friday for lunch this week. Any idea on lines?
CDub06
AG
I do my best to keep a somewhat prioritized list of my favorite BBQ places. It's a challenge as some trips extend over a couple of years. If anyone is interested, my top 20 looks like this:

1. Franklin
2. Snow's
3. Killen's
4. Louie Mueller
5. Black's Barbecue
6. Heim Craft Barbecue
7. Hutchins BBQ
8. La Barbecue
9. Kreuz Market (Lockhart)
10. Lockhart Smokehouse (Dallas)
11. The Pit Room (Houston)
12. Tejas Chocolate Craftory
13. BBQ on the Brazos
14. Fargo's Pit BBQ
15. McMillan's (Fannin)
16. Lambert's Downtown Barbecue
17. Corkscrew
18. Joseph's Riverport Barbecue
19. Micklethwait
20. Brooks' Place
Aggie09Derek
AG
Been to Stanley's in Tyler?
CDub06
AG
Plenty of times.
http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2017/03/stanleys-famous-pit-bar-b-q-tyler.html
Aggie09Derek
AG
And it doesn't crack your top 20!?
agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

1. Franklin
2. Snow's
My top 2 as well. Glad to see Pecan Lodge NOT in your top 20. I don't think Kruez and Black's are that good, but you may have had better luck than me. Micklethwait is legit!

Where's Angelos in FW?
agcrock2005
AG
I thought Stanley's had some of the best ribs I'd ever had, but didn't like their brisket. I'd like to try it again though. Not out there very often.
cc10106
Stanley's chicken is amazing, especially their sandwiches, but everything is solid at a minimum.

Pinkerton's in Houston is another to keep an eye on for sure.
CDub06
AG
Interesting. I like Stanley's brisket, but am not a fan of their style of ribs.

I've only been to Pinkerton's once but he's doing really good stuff. Grant has help on the pits overnight now. When he first opened, he was doing both turns for the lunch and dinner crowd by himself (he lives on-site). I think he's still trying to get his feet under him and look forward to trying them again soon. It's bold to take on the lunch and dinner crowd straight out of the gate, but Grant is a known commodity in Houston barbecue.
AggieStout
AG
Let us know how 2M is. Grew up in San Antonio and there was never a really good BBQ place. I'm curious about them though.
army01
AG
agcrock2005 said:

CDub06 said:

1. Franklin
2. Snow's
My top 2 as well. Glad to see Pecan Lodge NOT in your top 20. I don't think Kruez and Black's are that good, but you may have had better luck than me. Micklethwait is legit!

Where's Angelos in FW?

I'm a big fan of both Kruez and Black's. I wasn't a huge fan of Micklethwait though. Had it after LA Barbecue and thought it was a noticeable step down.

With you on PL though...I was disappointed with it, especially compared to Heim's earlier that day.

Angelos....turrible.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
CDub06 said:

I do my best to keep a somewhat prioritized list of my favorite BBQ places. It's a challenge as some trips extend over a couple of years. If anyone is interested, my top 20 looks like this:

1. Franklin
2. Snow's
3. Killen's
4. Louie Mueller
5. Black's Barbecue
6. Heim Craft Barbecue
7. Hutchins BBQ
8. La Barbecue
9. Kreuz Market (Lockhart)
10. Lockhart Smokehouse (Dallas)
11. The Pit Room (Houston)
12. Tejas Chocolate Craftory
13. BBQ on the Brazos
14. Fargo's Pit BBQ
15. McMillan's (Fannin)
16. Lambert's Downtown Barbecue
17. Corkscrew
18. Joseph's Riverport Barbecue
19. Micklethwait
20. Brooks' Place
McMillian's is in my top 10 fo sho.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Angelos....turrible.
Agreed. Kidding. Some of the worst BBQ I've ever had.
Jock 07
AG
While certainly good, I thought the brisket at crockscrew is usually better than what I had at killen's. And the beef rib, again while good, didn't do it for me, especially at that price.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.