Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

167,893 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
Brock Sampson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the recs. I've had railhead before and it was okay. I think we will try Lockhart out.
AgFB
AG
Wasn't Off the Bone in FW mentioned on this thread as well?
Brock Sampson
AG
Had Lockhart for lunch. Brisket was outstanding. Great flavor in every bite. Ribs were good but not on the same level. I tried some jalepeno sausage, and although not a big fan of it usually, thought it was very good. The sides of coleslaw and potato salad were very good as well. I would say it's a little better than pecan lodge.
BSD
AG
Last night I attended a fundraiser at Underbelly that was part of their "Off the Wall" dinner series. The theme for this dinner was BBQ so Chris invited Gatlins, Feges (pitmaster at Killens and former cook at Underbelly), and Blood Bros (new to me) BBQ to cook along with him. It was the largest fundraiser to date for this dinner series and probably the most fun. While we all had tables inside, we also mingled outside as the serving tents were set up next to the smokers. The meat was supplied by 44 Farms out of Cameron. St Arnold's and wine flowed freely. Although the weather was perfect and it felt like a backyard bbq, I was compelled to stay inside as I was sitting with Mary Gatlin and she is just the sweetest person to be around. Everyone that cooked stepped up and all of the meat was perfect. It really was a great night. Here is what we had:

Gatlins -whole hog and boudain stuffed chicken (oh wow, that boudain was good)

Blood Bros - short rib and beef belly

Feges - whole hog and turducken sausage

Underbelly - brisket and beef cheek. They also provided the sides which they always nail down to perfection.

I talked to Patrick Feges a bit after dinner about a few things and he mentioned his weekly popups at Sage County bar in midtown Houston. Why couldn't he have been around when I lived down there??? Anyways, he's doing it very Wednesday night so be sure to go try out his solo efforts on his off day from Killens.

As I said, it was a great night and Underbelly is donating the proceeds to scholarships for talented young chefs at the Art Institute of Houston. This was the last dinner for the series for '14 but I can't wait til next year, especially if they do the BBQ dinner again!
el aggie
AG
We visited Miller's Smokehouse in Belton on Saturday. Brisket was tender, bark was perfect. Homemade sausage was also delicious. Sides were above average as well.
CDub06
AG
I love Underbelly. That would have been some event to attend!
Quinn
AG
Does Franklin's pre-order usually open one month ahead? I'm looking to pre-order for October, and was guessing that it would open on Sept 1 at midnight (I preordered for May and it was April 1st at midnight). I didn't see a specific time on their website, though.
BSD
AG
The beginning of the prior month is usually the case. They'll post the dates as it gets closer.
BSD
AG
From the Franklin website:

quote:
ORDERS FOR OCTOBER CAN BE PLACED MONDAY SEPT 1
Moe 92
AG
^ This. For future reference also this:
quote:
On the 1st of every month, we take orders for the following month…
Quinn
AG
cool, thats what i thought, thanks!
Jock 07
AG
quote:
My favorite in Cowtown is Texas Pit BBQ in Saginaw. We call it "Smiley's" because of the smiley face sign outside.

Any other reviews of this place? My wife's folks live up on Eagle Mountain lake and are realitively close to this.
Jock 07
AG
also does anyone know anything about Riscky's bbq
edwardsk2003
AG
Riskys is not very good. Imho: Goto Angelos, then railhead, the cousins.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
also does anyone know anything about Riscky's bbq

Ricky's BBQ catered our wedding. We got married in the Stockyards and they were our least expensive option. It was OK, a couple items were good. Nothing I'd go totally out of my way for.
BurnetAggie99
Pretty good BBQ in my backyard in Highway 29 BBQ in Bertram TX. Brisket is outstanding. Sausage is 60 to 40 beef to pork mix that has some nice spice. The owner developed the blend which is now carried at Miller's meat market in Llano. Ribs have a nice smokiness and flavor. Ribs had a perfect texture. All the meats are smoked over post oak. The banana pudding is also top notch. I have a feeling they will make Texas Monthly Top 50 soon.
Van Buren Boy
AG
quote:
quote:
My favorite in Cowtown is Texas Pit BBQ in Saginaw. We call it "Smiley's" because of the smiley face sign outside.

Any other reviews of this place? My wife's folks live up on Eagle Mountain lake and are realitively close to this.

I used to hit this place up about once a week when I was on a bbq kick. Pretty good for the price. Sides are decent. Ribs and brisket are above average. I think on Tuesdays they have a pulled pork taco special. I would definitely check Texas Pit out
BSD
AG
Since this is the de facto bbq thread and I didn't want to start a new one for the topic, I'll leave this here: I just signed up for the 2015 Camp Brisket at A&M. Whoop!!!
Van Buren Boy
AG
I hope to hit up Lockhart on Sunday. Is there any discernible difference between the Plano and bishop arts location?
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Is there any discernible difference between the Plano and bishop arts location?

Nope, both equally overrated.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Nope, both equally overrated.

SHOTS FIRED!!!
Mookie
AG
Pass by hwy 29 BBQ on my way to llano a few times a month. Will stop in next time, thanks for the pro tip!
el aggie
AG
We made the mistake one time of passing it up to go to Burnet Feed Store BBQ. Never again.
CDub06
AG
You're right - Never again. Burnet Feed Store shut down.
BurnetAggie99
Payne's Bar B Q Shak is the best BBQ in Burnet. The brisket and ribs are very good. The location is off Hwy 29 in the old Burnet County BBQ building. They have a opportunity to be an Top 50 BBQ joint. Really good BBQ here. I would say Hwy 29 BBQ & Payne BBQ Shak are 2 of the best bbq joints in the hill country
el aggie
AG
quote:
You're right - Never again. Burnet Feed Store shut down.

That's about as surprising as Austin passing a tax increase.
CDub06
AG
So here y'all go, my new site I alluded to previously: http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/
Tree Hugger
agcrock2005
AG
I like it CDub.
CDub06
AG
Hey thanks. I was hoping y'all would have some feedback.
Moe 92
AG
Solid site, CDub
MD1993
AG
quote:
So here y'all go, my new site I alluded to previously: http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/

Great right ups. Keep up the good work.
CDub06
AG
Thank y'all. Didn't mean to hijack. I rather enjoy this thread.

Planning a trip to Snows Saturday. Word is they're giving away some TMBBQ Fest tickets if y'all are interested.
mslags97
AG
At what time does Snows run out? I am in SA, heading to the game, but I'm in a conference until 10:30.
CDub06
AG
They usually run out by noon. I'd play it safe and stop at Kreuz or Black's in Lockhart.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.