Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Energy Ogre

126,223 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BourbonAg
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i don't think they want you do, because they handle all the interfaces with the provider.
Diggity
AG
I've never had any problem with changing my info through the provider.
htxag09
AG
quote:
I've never had any problem with changing my info through the provider.

Me neither. My credit card expired and I forgot to change it with energy ogre and got a late bill from my provider. Called energy ogre and emailed them several times to change the card, never heard from them. So I called the provider and took care of it directly with them, no issues.

Energy ogre finally called back a couple months later, guess they realized they weren't getting paid.....
agdaddy04
AG
Isn't this what we're paying them for?
Diggity
AG
Not really. I pay them to find the best plan for me. I can manage automatic payments just fine if I happen to want to change my credit card mid-plan.
MrJonMan
AG
2,124kw

$130.81

4Change Energy
rc_ag
AG
Anyone get turned away by energy ogre for being on a contract? Happened to my husband's boss when he tried to sign up. I thought you could sign up anytime and energy ogre would crunch the numbers. They didn't even take any information from him.
Diggity
AG
It's better than what they did with me. I told them that my contract was up in a couple months and wanted them to crunch the numbers. They started dinging me for $10 immediately.

I like the idea of the service but it's not without flaws. My friend was telling me about a similar service that charges $5/month. Might have to look at that one.
MrMiyAggie
AG
quote:
Anyone get turned away by energy ogre for being on a contract? Happened to my husband's boss when he tried to sign up. I thought you could sign up anytime and energy ogre would crunch the numbers. They didn't even take any information from him.
I had a similar experience where they just went ahead and signed me up with a new carrier and everything prior to crunching the number. I complained and they refunded my cancellation fee of $140 from previous energy company.
Diggity
AG
Reset the password. The email would be the one she provided.
AgDaddy08-11
S
I recently went with EO and my switch to StarTex goes into effect on 7/1/16. Based on the emails I have received its my understanding that your account & auto pay feature gets set up after your first month's bill. Hopefully her calling ST directly gets it taken care of.

Not looking forward to also having issues.
FWCPA05
AG
I just called the Ogre today to update my credit card, I got someone on the phone in a few seconds, updated the card number and less than 5 minutes later, got a confirmation e-mail from my provider confirming that the auto pay had been updated.

Every interaction with EO for me has been seamless over the last 10 months and 3 energy providers.

My last electric bill for our house was $46 - still unbelievable to me.
NCNJ1217
AG
I just wanted to chime in here regarding communication with energy ogre. I posted my initial savings earlier in the thread, and I continue to experience lower electric bills than I've ever had. Recently I moved and I needed to contact EO regarding all the details. I went back and referred to my welcome email, which gives instructions for the best way to communicate with EO. Basically you email them, give the reason for needing to speak with them, and give a good call back time. When I did this, it worked like a charm. They were able to call me back within free range of time I indicated and fully took care of me over the phone. For anyone who has had problems with communication, I would urge you to follow their process for getting in touch with them, as that's what they are set up for. Again my experience was that they handled it very efficiently.

For additional info, I went back and dug up the instructions from my welcome email and am pasting it here. Hopefully this helps everyone. (Their contact email below edited out, if you're signed up you should have no issue locating it in your welcome email)

-------------------------
We don't want to have anyone waiting on the phone to get in touch with us. We know your time is very valuable. If you have any questions please send us an email with a preferred contact phone number and a convenient time to speak with you to [EO customer care email]. We will call you as soon as possible or at your preferred time and assist you with any difficulty that you may have. Also, please keep in mind that we send the majority of our correspondence via email. Please make sure that we do not end up in your spam folder.
Olag00
AG
Has anyone noticed Energy Ogre putting you on a contract that has a "usage credit" applied to your bill? I do my own shopping around but was wondering if EO puts you in these types of contracts.

The contract I was on up until yesterday was "usage between 1000kWh and 2000kWh = $90 credit to bill". The credit would make the rate 5.9 cents but I have to stop at 2000kWh. I just received my bill and I used 2056kWh in about 25 days, so I am definitely going to be going over the 2000kWh during a full month of service causing my rate to actually be 9.5 cents instead of the advertised rate of 5.9 cents. This would have been a 7 month contract and would have cost me an arm and leg over the next couple of months. After one month I cancelled the service with a $150 cancellation fee but I will be making that back in the next month with the new contract I am on with StarTex.

StarTex had a couple of plans, 5.9 cents with a $50 usage credit over 2000kWh and one for a set 6.5 cent rate with no usage credit. I did a comparative spreadsheet and if you use just over 2000kWh then the plan with the usage credit is the one to choose but if you use +3000kWh then the plan of 6.5 cents comes out cheaper.

Just curious if Energy Ogre takes these things into consideration.
MrJonMan
AG
Yes. They emailed me a break down of my usage last year during the same time frame, showing that i always used enough to earn the credit, that's why they chose that plan
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
822 kwh/ $67.55

Discount Power via EO.....my contract is up with Discount Power in October, wonder where EO will send me to....
Absolute
AG
4169 kw/hr for $250
3rdGenAg05
AG
Just signed up. Hoping for huge savings breaking free from Reliant. Terrible rates. They predicted $1200 a year.
Maybe next year I'll replace my crappy back door and single pane Windows that see a lot of sun.
mm98
AG
$153.

Usage was about 2500 - 2600 KW Hrs.

StarTex.
mm98
AG
quote:
4169 kw/hr for $250

Does your house not have a roof ???
Jill
AG
3,029 kWh

$179.58

Glad I made the switch!

For reference, I am in the DFW area and my bill was for 6/30 - 8/1.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I could get the same rate if I called and haggled but it is worth my 10 a month for EO to call and do it for me.
texsn95
AG
EO just got me on Startex for 6.5, referral code is 1M1J0

I screwed up when I signed up with Gexa last month, but luckily they let me out of a 2 year plan with no ETF.
DonaldFDraper
AG
$106.34 for 1,846 kWh on StarTex

First bill over $100 since signing up for EO
TravelAg2004
AG
$189 for 2805 kWh on Pennywise. Not bad, but it sounds like some folks are getting a little bit better deal.

In all fairness though, the house is brand new so there's no usage history to reference. EO was just taking a guess based on the specs of the house. They didn't realize my wife likes to use the entire house as a refrigerator.

All in all, very happy with the service so far. We paid almost $200 last summer in a house half the size, so we are doing well. Anxious to see how the prices go down once we have a year or two in the new house.
ktownag08
AG
Reached out to them via their Contact Us form on the website earlier in the week and haven't heard a thing since.

For those that have signed up recently, what plans are you getting? We're about to move into a new construction home and don't have a clue what our energy usage will be.

There's a 3 month Pennywise plan I see on Power to Choose that's $0.016/kWh + 0.038779/kWh Centerpoint charge that seems like a really good place to start.

Anyone have a cheaper deal they're getting? This is in Houston area BTW.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Just got enrolled in Startex...projected bill for September should save us more than the $120 annual fee...that is, we were getting screwed and EO will pay for itself within a month and we haven't made a single phone call.

For those posting usage, can you please post your home SF, # of stories and AC situation. I think our house is extremely inefficient.
We used almost 3000 kWh last month in a 3000sf, two story with two ACs and we were traveling for part of that.
Jill
AG
quote:
Just got enrolled in Startex...projected bill for September should save us more than the $120 annual fee...that is, we were getting screwed and EO will pay for itself within a month and we haven't made a single phone call.

For those posting usage, can you please post your home SF, # of stories and AC situation. I think our house is extremely inefficient.
We used almost 3000 kWh last month in a 3000sf, two story with two ACs and we were traveling for part of that.
3,029 kWh used - 3180 sq ft - 2 stories - 2 units that are the same size (don't remember the size) - Keep the air around 76 during the day and 73-74 at night. This is when it's 90+ outside.

We were also having issues with both ACs during that time.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
$106.34 for 1,846 kWh on StarTex

First bill over $100 since signing up for EO

One story home. 1650 Sq ft. One older, under sized, inefficient AC unit.
blumpkin
AG
I would always shop mine on power to choose & felt like I did a pretty good job of it. Gave Energy Ogre a shot anyway.

After my first 6 month contract I've saved $158 with virtually identical usage year over year.

Not the huge savings some of you have had, but looks like it's paying for itself, so Im in.

two story, 2800 sqft, 2 units
texican08
AG
Are you guys typically asking EO to put you on 6 or 12 month plans? Fixed or variable?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.