Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Energy Ogre

125,992 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BourbonAg
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just tell them to put me on auto pay and save me as much money as possible
DonaldFDraper
AG
$73.88 on 1305 kWh
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Current contract about to expire. Keep hearing rates are low. Hoping for a good deal
agdaddy04
AG
Average Price
7.6 per kWh (based on 2000 kWh per month)
Energy Charges
3 per kWh

Is what I was just signed up with from Source Power and Gas. EO had me with Pennywise during my first 6 months. This one actually seems more expensive than the last.
agdaddy04
AG
Just found my enrollment from 6 months ago with Pennywise:
6.4 per kWh*
Energy Charge: 3.0 per kWh
Usage Charge:
blumpkin
AG
I'm happy with my rates but still having administrative issues. Problems with communications on initial signup, problems changing credit card, problems after changing providers (tried using old credit card)
Texker
AG
I'm with Reliant. Details of my 12 mo. plan that expires in Nov.

EFL is 6.6, 5.6 and 7.1

$5 Base
1.1 cents per kWh for first 1000 kWh
5.1 cents per kWh thereafter
Oncor is $5.25 per billing cycle and 3.4821 cents per kWh

The most we've used this year was in July: 1495.6 kWh and bill was $89.01.

Details of the new 12 month plan they are offering.

EFL is 7.2, 6.2 and 7.2

$5 Base
2.1 cents per kWh for first 1000 kWh
5.1 cents per kWh thereafter
Oncor is $5.25 per billing cycle and 3.0674 cents per kWh

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Average Price
7.6 per kWh (based on 2000 kWh per month)
Energy Charges
3 per kWh

Is what I was just signed up with from Source Power and Gas. EO had me with Pennywise during my first 6 months. This one actually seems more expensive than the last.
They got me on the same plan. Was at 7.4 last year. My neighbor across the street is on EO and they got him at 6.5 but we signed up a a different time.
Absolute
AG
Just went through my first transfer within their system. Was seamless and rate is slightly better than I had.

Feel free to use promo code Absolute to get your 13th EO fee free.
Texker
AG
Anyone renew with Reliant recently? Looking to compare prices on renewals of the 12 mo. Conservation plan. My renewal offer is a couple of posts above this one.
GoAgs92
AG
so EO just jumps you around on 3 month plans? seems like those are almost always the best deals.

their Savings Calculator is crap but manually running through all these EFL's might be worth $10/Month.

Absolute
AG
I was on a 6 the first time. Not even sure what it is this time. I was told that they try to sync your moves to spring and fall when the rates trend lower than winter and summer rates. So 6 months might be their sweetspot.
Texker
AG
I ended up renewing with Reliant under the Conservation 6 with EFL of 5.1, 4.6 & 7.4. We never go above 1000kWh during the November-May time frame so 5.1 cents or thereabouts is pretty good and less than the 6.6 on my old plan and the 7.2 on the new Conservation 12.

My referral code is JAUFTK7. Use it and we both get $150 bill credits.
EnviroAg96
AG
Just finished my first year with EO. Here are the results for a 20 year old 2-story (3200 sf) house with original AC units and a pool with an old crappy single speed pump:

2015: 24,325 kWh cost $2,296.13 (effectively $0.094 / kWh)
2016: 23,879 kWh cost $1,381.97 + $120 EO fees for the year = $1,501.97 (effectively $0.063 / kWh)

My 2016 usage was about 450 kWh less than 2015 so it isn't exactly apples to apples but EO saved me about $800 compared to the best plan I could find on my own in 2015. They switched me twice in total and I had to create an account for each new provider and enter my credit card info but that was all I had to do. This latest provider they put me on for 2017 automatically carried over my payment method. from EO.
swc93
AG
On my 2nd provider set up by Energy Ogre. For last billing period I paid .01 kWh. Thanks to mild weather we only used 1200 kWh; so my Christmas lights only cost me 63.07 total.

Signing up with them has been a slam dunk so far.
Gary79Ag
AG
Absolute said:

Just went through my first transfer within their system. Was seamless and rate is slightly better than I had.

Feel free to use promo code Absolute to get your 13th EO fee free.
Just signed up today after receiving my latest Stream Energy bill for $254.30...most likely the highest bill for the past year.

Quote:

Your effective rate is 15.1099 per kWh

Looks like we could save you over $1200 over the next year!
HOLY SCHNIKEYS!!!
It's costing you over $3 extra every day you stay with your current plan!!
You could buy a boat with that! ...okay, maybe a kayak.
Either way, we need to fix this right now! Sign up and start saving this money today.
Thanks for the promo code Absolute!
Gary79Ag
AG
Well that was simple, quick and painless...signed up yesterday and just received an email from EO that they set me up with StarTex Power on a 3-month plan effective 1/16/2017...
Quote:

Based upon your unique demand profile, we expect your effective rate over the life of this contract to be 5.73/kWh
Beats the hell out of Stream Energy's effective rate of 15.1099 per kWh.

StarTex Power estimated my monthly bills to be $67, $46, and $30 for those three months (total of $143). My bills for the same months last year ran $181, $130, and $86 (total of $397) for a significant $254 reduction. WOW, just WOW!!! Sure wish I had done this a long time ago!
Flashdiaz
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Well that was simple, quick and painless...signed up yesterday and just received an email from EO that they set me up with StarTex Power on a 3-month plan effective 1/16/2017...
Quote:

Based upon your unique demand profile, we expect your effective rate over the life of this contract to be 5.73/kWh
Beats the hell out of Stream Energy's effective rate of 15.1099 per kWh.

StarTex Power estimated my monthly bills to be $67, $46, and $30 for those three months (total of $143). My bills for the same months last year ran $181, $130, and $86 (total of $397) for a significant $254 reduction. WOW, just WOW!!! Sure wish I had done this a long time ago!
Holy moly 15.1 per kWh?! EO is going to save you lots of money.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Got EO to manage the energy at my church. We were on stream but when they switch us on 2/1/17 we will estimate to save $10,000+ a year.
redag06
So EO had been putting me in 3 & 6 month plans, but they just signed me up for a 12 month plan. Should I cancel their service for 11 months till I'm ready to renew?

With the short plans the fee they charge was worth it for the convenience, but not when I'll be in the same plan for 12 months.
hurricanejake02
AG
They'll still evaluate from time to time during your 12 year plan - if there's enough savings available, they'll ask you about cancelling the current contract to move.
Teddy Perkins
AG
After finding this thread, I ran to sign up a few weeks ago. They just signed me up for a 6 month plan with SW Power and Light which would renew in the summer months. I'm hoping they aren't getting overburdened with new customers and some of the analysis isn't as thorough.
Diggity
AG
for those that want to try out the competition, these guys look to do the same thing for $5 a month.

My clients have had good experiences with them

www.energysimp.ly
Diggity
AG
someone on the Houston thread pointed out this service as well. It aggregates the other sites that offer these kinds of services and then includes a dynamic excel file that you input your monthly usage into, then get the best rates available. Looks to be pretty much what Energy Ogre and the like do, expect it's DIY and you only pay for it once.

Take a look!

www.TexasPowerGuide.com
Gary79Ag
AG
Diggity said:

someone on the Houston thread pointed out this service as well. It aggregates the other sites that offer these kinds of services and then includes a dynamic excel file that you input your monthly usage into, then get the best rates available. Looks to be pretty much what Energy Ogre and the like do, expect it's DIY and you only pay for it once.

Take a look!

www.TexasPowerGuide.com
One thing I want to point out about EO is that the plan they hooked me and several of my family members up with were not available via the powertochoose.org website plans so we would have missed out on the increased savings that EO was able to lock us into had we used TPG. Something to consider when using TPG or other options that you're identifying and noting on here!
Diggity
AG
I've read others that had that experience but that hasn't been the case with me.

Both plans that EO signed me up for have been readily available on PTC. Maybe just bad luck.

Gary79Ag
AG
Received my first bill from StarTex Power for $43.09 for 760 KWH for 16 days (effective rate - 5.67 cents/KWH)
Received my final bill from Stream Energy for $98.00 for 648 KWH for 13 days (effective rate - 15.12 cents/KWH)

Energy Ogre came through on their projected rate based on the first bill received from StarTex Power...YEA!!!
Gary79Ag
AG
My son recently signed up with EO and they estimated that they could save him $700 for the first year based on his effective rate of 10.04 cents/KWH on his current plan with Reliant...his last Reliant bill was $144 for 1,440 KWH. EO signed him up with StarTex Power as well so I'm waiting to hear what his first bill from comes in at.

He told his cousin about EO and his cousin signed up after they told him they could save him $2,500 for the first year based on his effective rate of, get this, 30.29 cents/KWH on his current plan with Reliant...his last Reliant bill was $196 for 647 KWH. Talk about getting the shaft from Reliant! That's freaking ridiculous...

EO also signed him up with StarTex Power so I too am waiting to hear about his first bill...
txag2008
AG
I'm not sure what to think about all these stories of people paying these crazy high rates. At some point it's up to you take control of who you use and what you pay. If you complain about high rates, then shame on you for not taking care of it on your own.
Ted Logan
AG
Some people may not know that they can change. Not everyone has that option. I have to use CPS energy here in San Antonio. If they ever do deregulate here, very few people in the city would know what a good rate is.
texsn95
AG
Bump...now that my Startex plan is ending, the best they came up with for me was 12 months at 7.8 with Discount. During the warm months our usage is usually over 2000 so that is the number we're going by. Needless to say I'm not impressed, when there are shorter plans out there for the low 7s. I'll give them a call this afternoon.
dtkprowler
AG
We are buying our first home and looking at energy providers. Anyone else still using EO and pleased with them? I assumed the larger they got, the less impressive their service would be.

Any updates from anyone?
213 Grove
AG
dtkprowler said:

We are buying our first home and looking at energy providers. Anyone else still using EO and pleased with them? I assumed the larger they got, the less impressive their service would be.

Any updates from anyone?
I still use them and still pleased. The convenience is worth the $10/month.
Olag00
AG
Im on a 3 month contract for 6.9 with Stream. Check powertochoose for rates in your area. There is a 6.7 now avaialble through gexa. If you weren't currently with startex, they have a 6.1 rate. I was with them before stream and they wouldn't give me the 6.1 since i was a current customer even though my contract was expiring. These rates are for Houston though.
texsn95
AG
I'm in 77084 and don't see the 6.1 with Gexa. The best I'm seeing is 6.7 >2000. But some of their plans are great for <2000 users.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.