Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Energy Ogre

126,005 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BourbonAg
blumpkin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just signed up. Will report results. Here is my 2015 summary:

Troy91
AG
My lowest bill in this house in the 17 months before Energy Ogre was $119.

First full month after was $46.

I am sold.
blumpkin
AG
I've always shopped mine on power to choose, so I'm skeptical but willing to try.
AggieGunslinger
AG
For me the advantage is not having to do that myself. Multiple times I forgot when a contract ended and ended up with stupid high rates for a few months before I remembered to change.
blumpkin
AG
So I signed up over a week ago & havent heard from Energy Ogre yet. My plan with Reliant ends at the end of the month. Guess I'll be calling in the morning. A little pissed I have to reach out to them for this.
Troy91
AG
Did you get the auto reply email?

They had an additional question for me that came less than one day after the auto reply email.

It took another 9 days before they found a plan for me. But, I was in a contract so there was no hurry.
blumpkin
AG
Yes I got the auto reply and the thank you for uploading my bill, both the same day I registered. No contact since.
FDXAg
AG
I signed up just now...contract with reliant ends in March. I just emailed them a copy of my recent bill too. Hopefully I'll hear something from them in a week or so.
blumpkin
AG
After an email from me asking on the status they did get me set up with Discount Power. A quick check & it looks like the plan they have me in is cheaper than what I could have found with powertochoose.org.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I went back and ran all my numbers. Ogre predicted it would save me $1200 in a year. Since last May my actual net savings are just under $800. With 2 months left I bet I'll get close to $1000 net savings. Pretty good predicting if you ask me and worth every penny of $120 in fees.
pasquale
AG
what length contracts are they signing you up for when switching?
jel_2002
AG
For me, they have been 6 month deals.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
quote:
what length contracts are they signing you up for when switching?
So far it has been one 3 month contract and one 6 month for me.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
First one was a 6 month, this one is a 12 month. I'm not real amped up about the 12 month but it was the best on the market when they switched me. I won't be surprised if they call me and want to switch me mid contract even if there are ETF's. All about saving the most money. If the contract has $100 ETF but they can save you $120 over the rest of the contract length they will encourage you to pay the ETF so they can switch you. They won't do that without your permission though.
FWCPA05
AG
I am a huge fan. Switched to them in October. Rates have been lower than I traditionally found on power to choose and no hassle of signing up and researching. They have had me with two different providers and it has been seamless.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Last months bill: $14.99
OE_Ag11
AG
quote:
After an email from me asking on the status they did get me set up with Discount Power. A quick check & it looks like the plan they have me in is cheaper than what I could have found with powertochoose.org.

I have similar power usage to your house, what plan is it? I'm worried that since the power usage is so low for most of the year they wouldn't really help me be able to save
Flashdiaz
AG
Got my first full cycle bill today and it was $35 !! I have lived in the same house for 5 years and it has never been low or close to that low. Granted my energy consumption will go up as it warms up but so far so good!
OE_Ag11
AG
who do you have 1ags?
blumpkin
AG
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
who do you have 1ags?
Right now I think I'm on Discount Power.
Troy91
AG
First bill was $46. Second bill was $45.

Previous record low in this house was $119.
OE_Ag11
AG
Thanks for your help guys. I'm moving to a new house. So I'm going to try to pick my own this year while I figure how much power I actually use is cause they need the history anyways to figure it out it seems.
hurricanejake02
AG
the plan they've got me on is the Credit Back 3 with Frontier Utilities, where I get a $60 credit if I use over 1000kWh.

There's three days left in my billing cycle and, according to smartmetertexas.com, I've used 773.8kWh. I guess I'll put my programmable thermostat on hold at 72F for the rest of the cycle to try to save money...
AgLiving06
Did anybody have any issues signing up a month before the expected start time?

My current plan expires on 5/2, so no point in stopping it now, but didn't want to pay if there was a chance they could mess something up...
AggieGunslinger
AG
I believe they will adjust your start date to after your current date, if you tell them to.
MrJonMan
AG
$42, 1200ish KW used
213 Grove
AG
quote:
Did anybody have any issues signing up a month before the expected start time?

My current plan expires on 5/2, so no point in stopping it now, but didn't want to pay if there was a chance they could mess something up...

I did but they started charging me the $10 monthly fee immediately
Tagguy
AG
Anyone had experience with a house that has less than 12 months of good usage history?

I bought a house last August and I know that it was only occasionally lived in for several months prior to that. The electric usage shows extremely low kWh usage.

I guess I'm wondering how accurate they might be able to get. Also would it be worth waiting to sign up if I am considering installing radiant barrier?
Canyon99
This program cut my monthly bill in half. I'm looking at $2400 in savings this year over the course of 12 months.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
You guys should pay me 10% of your savings
Zemira
AG
quote:
This program cut my monthly bill in half. I'm looking at $2400 in savings this year over the course of 12 months.

Yikes! I don't even spend $1200 a year on electricity.
blumpkin
AG
First month saved me $3 over last year (very slightly less usage this year as well). So -$7 for me so far.
double aught
AG
Well take comfort in knowing that, apparently, you were pretty good at finding the best deal yourself.
AlaskanAg08
AG
I'm going to try Energy Ogre out! I've been on Ambit the last 4 years, and they cant get under .10/kw unless I go to a 3 month plan, and its only slightly better than .10/kw. We will see how it goes!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.