Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,436 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Curious, do y'all trade silver or gold? I guess what's the importance of short term price action other than for buying?

Quote:

I think most here are stackers
The two things stackers wait for are price dips for buying opportunities or the collapse of the dollar when the PMs go exponential. Stackers won't sell at any price within recent norms. Is this correct?
TTUArmy
Apache said:

Quote:

Curious, do y'all trade silver or gold? I guess what's the importance of short term price action other than for buying?

Quote:

I think most here are stackers
The two things stackers wait for are price dips for buying opportunities or the collapse of the dollar when the PMs go exponential. Stackers won't sell at any price within recent norms. Is this correct?

It would have to be a fairly dire situation for me to trade my PM's back for a dying fiat whose intrinsic value is consistently debased. I don't trust government, banks, or hedge funds. I have investments and retirement sorted out, but with the way things are going in the world, I'm fairly certain those investments will be diluted to nothing or obsconded away via malinvestment or theft further up the chain.
jagvocate
AG
Good morning gold bugs

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
New all time high.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AggieT
AG
Why the hell didn't I buy more last year.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Should never think like This. Be grateful you bought last year. Most people didn't.
jagvocate
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

Should never think like This. Be grateful you bought last year. Most people didn't.
The asset allocation to precious metals across all Americans ranges between .5%-1% of net worth. What happens when that goes to 2%-3% or more? :-)

Yukon Cornelius
AG
Are you going to sell when that happens?
jagvocate
AG
Why would one sell?

We should TRADE when the day comes. Trade silver for gold. Trade gold for land. Etc. You get the idea. At the dollar debasement rate we've been on since 1971, I'd be a fool to exchange precious metals for US fiat currency that's only going to go down more after the transaction ...

AggieT
AG
Oh, I am! I'm also grateful that I bought more last month. I'll probably do something silly if gold goes sub $2k again.
Q1180
AG
Complete novice here on gold/silver market. When should I buy gold and should it always be physical gold?
jagvocate
AG
Q1180 said:

Complete novice here on gold/silver market. When should I buy gold and should it always be physical gold?
When?
The best time was 25 years ago. The next best time is in the here and now.
After starting in 2005 and just buying when I put together some money, I started "Buying the Dips." It's been a good strategy. Gold has off days, off weeks, and (rarer and rarer), off months. Lock in a little extra buying power by purchasing when gold or silver are down instead of having FOMO and buying when they are ripping.

Should it always be physical?
I have some money in the Sprott physical gold and physical silver ETFs. I don't trust GLD and SLV. There are plenty of resources out there to explain why. I like removing counterparty risk, so I own and hold. We all have to decide for ourselves what works best for us. For the ultra-wealthy, vaulting outside of the US seems to be attractive. I'm nowhere near having to worry about that.

Q1180
AG
So are you buying gold bullion etc and having it shipped to you for you to store or buying physical gold kept someplace else through a broker?
Heineken-Ashi
Q1180 said:

What is 5%-10% of your monthly pay? Take that, and buy every month. If it's not enough to buy verifiable good product, then do it quarterly. And never stop. The best way to be fully hedged for a systematic meltdown is to have a quantifiable portion of your net worth in physical metals. YOU DONT CARE ABOUT RETURN ON INVESTMENT OR VALUE OF GOLD. This is a lifetime hedge. You only care about buying using manageable amounts of discretionary income.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Ship to yourself.
jagvocate
AG
Q1180 said:

So are you buying gold bullion etc and having it shipped to you for you to store or buying physical gold kept someplace else through a broker?
When I said removing counterparty risk, I meant that I buy and I store. Every person or company that has access to your precious metals after you own them is a potential failure point.

TTUArmy
Heineken-Ashi said:

Q1180 said:

What is 5%-10% of your monthly pay? Take that, and buy every month. If it's not enough to buy verifiable good product, then do it quarterly. And never stop. The best way to be fully hedged for a systematic meltdown is to have a quantifiable portion of your net worth in physical metals. YOU DONT CARE ABOUT RETURN ON INVESTMENT OR VALUE OF GOLD. This is a lifetime hedge. You only care about buying using manageable amounts of discretionary income.

Very well said H-A! And, 5-10% is so easy to do. Start small, no large purchases, and study the gold/silver market.
Outdoorag011
Q1180 said:

Also, before you buy post the price on here and we can help out to make sure you are getting a good deal.
Outdoorag011
One of the many reasons why I stack

AggieT
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Q1180 said:

Also, before you buy post the price on here and we can help out to make sure you are getting a good deal.
TTUArmy
Outdoorag011 said:

That video is supremely strong medicine. We were warned about the dangers of fiat currency and central banking. Our founders are probably rolling in their graves. Hell, even the man who handed control to the Fed, Woodrow Wilson, had miserable regrets. He basically admitted that he had sold this nation's soul to the Devil.
Q1180
AG
Thanks all!!!
Heineken-Ashi
TTUArmy said:

Outdoorag011 said:

That video is supremely strong medicine. We were warned about the dangers of fiat currency and central banking. Our founders are probably rolling in their graves. Hell, even the man who handed control to the Fed, Woodrow Wilson, had miserable regrets. He basically admitted that he had sold this nation's soul to the Devil.
Jefferson fought his ass off to prevent central banking from gaining footing here. He ended the second (first that had legs) attempt at a central bank by paying off our debts. Unfortunately, like said above, the second the people gave away the power to mint and control the money, it was game over. Keynesian feels great in the middle. But sentiment runs in cycles, and you can't stop a train running downhill at full speed. Not even a global scare like 2008 could stop it. We let them take from our deposits and grow the money supply to obscene levels, destroying our wealth through currency deflation (while also allowing them to legalize bail-ins which will be coming). We were then powerless to stop them doing it again even harder in 2020. But sentiment always rolls over. And with it, the entire house of cards.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Is spot market 24/7?
Quantarius
AG
Alright-I've perused this thread and may have missed this….super simple.

I have a self directed Ira and want to buy some golddo I just go buy coins/bars? Where do I do that?

I have some old/pre civil wat era gold coins and was told the market for historic coins is soft right now.

I am just interested in gold-do the various flavors really matter? Australia, us, etc….

If I just want to buy and hold gold-what's the move?
maddiedou
AG
fish_rich said:

Bought this graded gold bullion off Wal Mart below spot today

Buy just like this guy did

Always buy graded coins if possible dont overpay just because they are graded
maddiedou
abram97
AG
Isn't it better if stacking to buy BU instead of graded?

Numismatic stuff might be great but stacking in order to be ready for bad world problems would point towards things like BU stuff or even a little lower, yes?

What does everybody have to say?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Why graded coins? Why not just random years ungraded
maddiedou
AG
Your both somewhat right

But if you can buy graded coins for the same price of bu
A MS70 will bring your kids more money in the ling run

Yes we say we are stacking /collecting for ourselves butnin reality. Most will never sell and hand down

maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
And that is what the picture of what he actually bought last week. A MS70 coin for below spot

It would cost you about 40-60 dollars to have that graded
maddiedou
fish_rich
AG
Please bear in mind that I wouldn't normally pay much if any premium for graded bullion. This deal was approximately $40 below spot when I purchased. In addition to the free shipping, I used WM credit card and will get 5% cash back.

If there is not much of a premium compared to regular bullion there are a couple of benefits to graded bullion. A) if my family is having to deal with this because I pass away, the slab identifies what they are dealing with. B) If I am looking to sell, it has already been verified by 3rd party. These benefits are not worth a big premium, but it there is not a premium then I would likely choose the graded bullion.
maddiedou
AG
I was just using you as an example of there are deals to be had if your ready to buy when they come

That was a good deal. I am a silver collector very seldom buy gold but I may would have bought also

Edit. Also you explained it very well I just dont have the writing explanation-skills that most of yall have

I dont envy much but that is one thing I wish I could do
maddiedou
redsquirrelAG
AG
Thoughts on Canadian silver 80%?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
How was that possible l? Is Walmart typically slow to adjust to spot?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Ah good points. Thank you

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.