Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

323,540 Views | 2170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Outdoorag011
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pre 64 coins are pretty easy to identify by looking for a solid silver edge.

You'll get to where you'll notice it instantly in a roll of coins.

https://imgur.com/a/Its1bLe
Buck Turgidson
Can anybody recommend a trustworthy Houston area shop to buy gold coins in person?

Also, is it true that the government tracks all gold purchases of $10k or more? Do credit card companies like Amex track your gold purchases specifically like they were about to do with gun purchases?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
POOF
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
XpressAg09
AG
Your knee cleavage made that a "Click to Ensure You're Over 18" picture.

And I quote:
Quote:

This post may contain erotic or adult imagery.
Outdoorag011
Royal coins in Houston is the best. Best prices and they are great people. They don't always have the biggest selection because they do the most volume selling in Houston. I pay with cash when I go to local coin shops and echeck for online purchases. Now the government tracks every purchase over $600. Another reason to pay with cash if possible.
topher06
Outdoorag011 said:

Royal coins in Houston is the best. Best prices and they are great people. They don't always have the biggest selection because they do the most volume selling in Houston. I pay with cash when I go to local coin shops and echeck for online purchases. Now the government tracks every purchase over $600. Another reason to pay with cash if possible.
Sucks knowing you don't actually own your own property.
jagvocate
AG
Ironically, you do if it's lost or stolen
Buck Turgidson
topher06 said:

Outdoorag011 said:

Sucks knowing you don't actually own your own property.

It sure does. Now think about how all real estate is basically rented from the government and what happens when you don't pay your 2-3% annual property taxes if you really want to get angry.
jagvocate
AG
I mostly buy online but support a local coin shop each month. My normal shop was completely out of silver 10oz or kilos so I drive 25 minutes and found a new, very nice family gold and jewelry shop that happened to have some silver bullion too
maddiedou
AG
What is the cost of something like that 23 an ounce or less

Also is there tax on silver when you biy from a shop

I dont buy from dealers so I was just wondering and you dont have to answer
jagvocate
AG
State law determines taxes. Some states tax precious metals, some don't. I paid $250 for that bar, no tax, but no shipping fees and I walked out in hand with it. I think the real value of silver is a lot higher so I won't sneeze at anything $25/oz and less. Buying as much as I can,
maddiedou
AG
Thanks. It was a serious question but just seems like a 30 percent profit for a store is not alot with all the overhead and staff

I may go check out what the two stores here sale a 10 ounce for and will report back
jagvocate
AG
A little Sunday humor for us precious metal stackers as the bankrupt Euro Banks try to dupe the world that all is well

Esteban du Plantier
AG
I love all the wildlife coins, so I typically buy anything from the Pacific island countries when they do animals. But the all had the queen on them, being Commonwealth countries.

I'm not buying any coins with that turd Charles on them.
jagvocate
AG
When the Silver Eagle premiums started skyrocketing I pulled the trigger on quite a few 2022 Canadian Silver Maples … little did I know then they may likely be the some of the last QE coins
topher06
Will that eventually make them worth more? Not buying more while silver is spiking and didn't get and silver QE2 coins, but did get a gold maple and gold Britannia this year so maybe those will be lucky one day
jagvocate
AG
Silver up 15% since the weekend
lobopride
A while back I bought five 1 oz. gold bars from Credit Suisse that had individual serial numbers.

I thought that having some sort of proof that they were gold would be nice in a SHTF scenario.

I wish I had chosen something else now. Oh well.
oklaunion
lobopride said:

A while back I bought five 1 oz. gold bars from Credit Suisse that had individual serial numbers.

I thought that having some sort of proof that they were gold would be nice in a SHTF scenario.

I wish I had chosen something else now. Oh well.
Not sure I see what your problem is. CS is reputable.
lobopride
They are about to go bankrupt. Probably within the year.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That will probably make them more valuable/collectible if they go BK. The gold will always be worth at least melt.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jagvocate
AG
Tangential, but: $silver and $gold miners have outperformed the S&P 500 five weeks going.
topher06
Agreed, but that's partly because they're manipulated AF
JR Ewing
AG
It tells you something when countries are stockpiling gold every month...the Great Reset will be gold backed, most likely...
JR Ewing
AG
Duplicate post removed...
jagvocate
AG
Silver's been under $20, hope some folks have bought.

jagvocate
AG
The $GOLD:$NASDAQ ratio likely bottomed a year ago, meaning that there will be ups and downs in the relationship/ratio but that bullion will be a better buy than tech stocks in general for the foreseeable future.

Apache
AG
Quote:

Silver's been under $20.00 the majority of the past decade & I say this as a guy who has bought a little.
Aside from the big spike in the early 80's & a period around 2010-2012, it seems to me to be an investment that just doesn't do much compared to putting money in the stock market or elsewhere.

Are y'all buying at this stage primarily as a hedge against inflation?
Something to trade when the SHTF?
maddiedou
AG
Yep. Your post is correct very seldom over 20-22 but it has its moments
Outdoorag011
I'm buying because silver is the second most important/versatile commodity on earth behind oil. It has 10,000+ uses. It is VITALLY important to our way of life and EXTREMELY important as the world moves more towards technology.

Things that cannot go on forever… don't. Shorting a finite resource will not end well. I would much rather be 20 years to early than 1 day to late.
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

I picked up some British Mint stuff that's hard to find elsewhere (not resold much by the domestics). Right now the dollar is very strong against the pound and these make great Christmas gifts.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
What is the ratio of silver ever mined to US dollars ever printed?

What is the ratio of silver to gold as it appears on earth?
Apache
AG
Quote:

What is the ratio of silver ever mined to US dollars ever printed?

What is the ratio of silver to gold as it appears on earth?
Is this a guessing game or are you going GTFM?
5000 to one?
25 to one?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I'll answer the first one, but if you want to know the second one, you should go look for yourself. Both basically answer your original question.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL
Quote:

21,711.4 billion USD

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-much-silver-has-been-found-world
Quote:

Of the 1,740,000 metric tons of silver discovered to date
(this one is more of an estimate, but estimates are fairly consistent, and this one is from a reputable source.)

353.74 US dollars per ounce of silver ever mined throughout history, worldwide.
jagvocate
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Silver's been under $20.00 the majority of the past decade & I say this as a guy who has bought a little.
Aside from the big spike in the early 80's & a period around 2010-2012, it seems to me to be an investment that just doesn't do much compared to putting money in the stock market or elsewhere.

Something to trade when the SHTF?
Anyone buying gold and silver for trading and riches kinda has it backwards to my simple mind. I buy to keep from being poor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.