Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,171 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I park in the Gray Gravel lot every match, hence the recommendation

When you pull in ask if you can park with the cars that should be off on the left (rather than pulling all the way in), you'll get out way faster. If you end up pulling up to the front it'll probably take a bit to get out.
bbry81
Awesome thanks
bbry81
Stadium is awesome. Don't think there is a bad seat in the house. The grey gravel parking could not have worked any easier. Was back home in new braunfels in less than 2 hours after the game. Thanks for the help
fig96
AG
Awesome, glad you had a good trip, really fun match too. Where did y'all sit?

And funny, we actually found the worst seat in the house last night I'll have to post a pic, it was right next to our section and we noticed it while literally talking about how there were no bad seats. But yeah, it's an awesome venue overall.
TamuKid
AG
bbry81
We were in section 313 first row. I splurged for the seats obviously. Ha. Felt like we were right on top of the field. Could see everything.
AgRyan04
That's a $320 value!
TamuKid
AG
AgRyan04 said:

That's a $320 value!
They're saying they keep your head cool for up to 72 hours!
aggiephoenix02
TamuKid said:

AgRyan04 said:

That's a $320 value!
They're saying they keep your head cool for up to 72 hours!
Yep, and I heard it makes you 2 inches taller and longer!
fig96
AG
bbry81 said:

We were in section 313 first row. I splurged for the seats obviously. Ha. Felt like we were right on top of the field. Could see everything.
My regular seats are in 317 just a few rows back and they're great, the view from that upper deck is fantastic. Glad you had a good time.
JCRiley09
AG
I was at the match tonight. I thought we absolutely dominated every aspect except finishing (surprise surprise). Poch stood out for all the wrong reasons. Fun night but so disappointing again. I've been to three matches and we've been shut out all three.
TamuKid
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I was at the match tonight. I thought we absolutely dominated every aspect except finishing (surprise surprise). Poch stood out for all the wrong reasons. Fun night but so disappointing again. I've been to three matches and we've been shut out all three.

Yup, was also there. We had good opportunities and looked dangerous, just couldn't finish.

Please stop going to the games. You seem to be plaguing us.
JCRiley09
AG
TamuKid said:

Please stop going to the games. You seem to be plaguing us.

I won't be at anymore this season. Maybe I'll have better luck next year
dmart90
AG
The officiating last night was horrendous.
TamuKid
AG
dmart90 said:

The officiating last night was horrendous.

Yeah, and they heard about it. Some good "you suck ref" chants and a nice loud booing send off as they left the field.
dmart90
AG
That was beautiful! Lol!

And #10, Reynoso, is a *****. Dude whined all night long. It was satisfying when the ref finally gave him a yellow.
JT88
AG
I think Djitte would have scored in that breakaway (where the defender dove like a b*tch when he realized he was about to LBR beaten badly. Horrible call.

As has been me ruined, Pochettino w a horrible night start to finish or we score at least two goals.

Ring gift-wrapped MN scoring chance.

Really frustrating from whistle to whistle.

I haven't seen mentioned the national anthems, but they have been exceptional all year, truly.

dmart90
AG
Agreed.

And the national anthems have been solid. Last nights was good, but it was so loud last night. I feel like they had dialed the sound levels in nicely - loud enough but not deafening. Then they cranked it up to 11 for the USMNT match and left it there.
JCRiley09
AG
Absolutely nauseating showing by Austin right now.

Down 3-0 59' in San Jose
JCRiley09
AG
4-0. I can't believe I stayed up for this ****
aggielax48
AG
I called it quits at 3-0.

So someone more in the know about how MLS works, how does this team go about getting better? To me Pochettino and Cecilio have been disappointing as designated players. Wouldn't think you will see anything homegrown for awhile and don't figure the draft helps much. So you just try to get better cheap free agents? Doesn't seem like a recipe for success.
DeangeloVickers
AG
aggielax48 said:

I called it quits at 3-0.

So someone more in the know about how MLS works, how does this team go about getting better? To me Pochettino and Cecilio have been disappointing as designated players. Wouldn't think you will see anything homegrown for awhile and don't figure the draft helps much. So you just try to get better cheap free agents? Doesn't seem like a recipe for success.
The salary cap is so weird....really slow to build a team....you have to nail those designated players
fig96
AG
Yeah, last night was ugly. That said, all things considered I think they've done a decent job building this team to this point, particularly considering the challenge of starting a brand new club with pandemic restrictions. But we need to get better. Warning: long post incoming.

As far as how to acquire players you've got players out of contract, trades (for players or allocation money), and the draft (very hit or miss), as well as the potential to buy out a player's contract which is actually pretty common. So lots of avenues there.

***undez, Stuver, Ring, Besler, Lima, Kolmanic, and Gaines among others were great pieces of business (and Stuver was an absolute steal). Djitte looks like he's going to be an outstanding acquisition and may be a legit star in the making, and Driussi showed that this club is willing to spend and he's quickly becoming one of the better players in the league.

Dominguez and Pochettino are two very different cases IMO. Dominguez is a true DP making around 1.5m and he's not worth that IMO. I don't know what the club thinks of him or if there will be any opportunity to move him or restructure his contract, but he's not playing to that level for me. Pochettino, on the other hand, is barely a DP per his salary at 640k and I believe his previous contract buyout is the main reason for his DP status (DPs count as a 612,500 salary cap hit no matter what they're paid). His contract can be bought down under DP status with TAM (Targeted Allocation Money) and IMO he's got enough potential to be kept on the roster at that price.

So all that said, what is this team lacking and what do we need? The biggest need for me is an all star caliber center back. Besler has been a great one but he's at the point in his career where he's lost a step while Cascante and Romana show promise but also have their shockers at times. Let's spend big and bring in a proven physical center back who can lead the back line and be a force on defense, then look at maybe another young athletic center back or fullback with potential that needs that leadership.

In the attack we've got speed but really lack anyone who's willing to go at defenders 1v1 with pace and skill (with Gaines, Driussi, Pereira, and Pochettino the only ones close). I'd like to see at least one proven wide attacking midfielder/wing who can help push the attack and play off of Djitte and Driussi. We need someone who can put some fear into opposing defenses, but Dominguez has been very hit or miss and while I love ***undez that's not his best position. Gaines would be great to try in one of those wide spots.

For next season I'd love to see something like:

JCRiley09
AG
Great post!

With a Besler being out with a concussion this long, I'd be surprised if he's back in the league next year. Might need 2 center backs or train up romana
fig96
AG
Thanks, and fair point on Besler.

I'd like to see him stick around for veteran leadership for another season or two, but at this point he has nothing left to prove and concussions can be scary. He'd make a great addition to the coaching staff if he does decide to hang up his boots.
JCRiley09
AG
One more week of this inaugural turd of a season.
JT88
AG
Win was there for the taking last night and could habe claimed "best in TX" (even if this season that is like being the fastest of those who walked the marathon).

Current forecast is for rain on Wednesday when first-place Kansas City comes to town for last home game. Cannot wait until April!!
JT88
AG
Incredible environment and beautiful attacking soccer tonight. Could easily have been 4-0.
Gallagher was nails on the back end playing against a striker who was twice his size.
Fitting home win for what is hopefully a bright future in 2022.
JCRiley09
AG
didn't finish last
fig96
AG
So not a great final match (and having like 25% of our roster injured didn't help). But that game last Wednesday was a blast, we looked like a completely different team. Our off the ball movement was fantastic, passing was sharp, defending was solid, and we were threatening to score the whole night.

The offseason is going to be interesting as MLS just announced that the season will start early to accommodate the winter World Cup (and will have limited mid week matches), we'll start playing games in late February and MLS Cup will be the first week in November. That's going to make for a really short offseason and we should start hearing about re-signing players ASAP with new signings happening pretty rapidly after that before preseason camp starts in mid January.

And good read here, an interview with Wolff that talks a bit about what they're looking at for the roster:
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/sports/2021-11-03/coach-josh-wolff-candidly-assesses-austin-fcs-first-season/
CedarAg
Why do we look one way one week then completely opposite the next? I don't get it. Overall it was a learning experience of MLS soccer for me. I enjoyed the ups and the downs of the first season in ATX. Looking forward to how we grow as a team and organization over the years.
fig96
AG
Glad we got him for a season, dude has had a great career.

fig96
AG
CedarAg said:

Why do we look one way one week then completely opposite the next? I don't get it. Overall it was a learning experience of MLS soccer for me. I enjoyed the ups and the downs of the first season in ATX. Looking forward to how we grow as a team and organization over the years.
A lot of teams in MLS are this way to an extent (like Sporting KC, one of the best teams in the West who we took to the woodshed last week) but for us I think the big issue is lack of depth combined with injuries.

In Sunday's game we had like 7 or 8 players on the injury list (and a suspension) which is seriously affecting your lineup and depth for obvious reasons. We had one true center back with any experience available, two were out injured then we had a rookie who's been out most of the season.

But on top of that we're just lacking depth in general at several spots. For example, Moussa is the only true striker on the roster who's healthy (and the only one who's had any impact as a #9 the entire season), so when he was having an off game on Sunday we had no like for like substitution. We brought in Dominguez who's a winger to play that spot and it totally changes how we attack.

Hopefully a lot of this will be addressed in the offseason, we'll see.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.