Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,227 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
goose91 said:

Massive chunks of the pitch coming up just 5 minutes in. A bit surprised by that.

Yep. That's not good.
HTownAg98
San Jose is leaving the middle of the field wide open.
HTownAg98
Furlock Bones said:

goose91 said:

Massive chunks of the pitch coming up just 5 minutes in. A bit surprised by that.

Yep. That's not good.

I've seen fewer divots on a tee box at the Bryan Muni Golf Course.
Ferg
HTownAg98 said:

Furlock Bones said:

goose91 said:

Yep. That's not good.

I've seen fewer divots on a tee box at the Bryan Muni Golf Course.
Is that due to the USWNT game a few nights ago?
HTownAg98
More likely because it's new and hasn't had a chance to establish.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Pitch was the same way for the USWNT. They were constantly repairing divots. It just hasn't taken hold yet.
AgRyan04
On the train now. That was a ton of fun! I thought Los Verde absolutley brought it - super great energy. I may be right on the tipping point of too old to hang in the supporters section - I'm wiped out.

We gotta find someone who can put the ball in the net from inside the 18.

Stuver was the man of the match again for me, but I thought Gallager was great just abusing their backs, Lima played really well getting forward, and Ring is just hustle.

But gotta someone who can put the ball in the net.

If Perez had played that ball to ***undez, we walk away with 3 points.
Aggietaco
AG
HTownAg98 said:

More likely because it's new and hasn't had a chance to establish.

Who knows. It's been in place for almost 9 months and the sod itself is like 2 years old.
dmart90
AG
Busy for home from the match. What an awesome experience! Loved every minute of it and can't wait for next week!
JCRiley09
AG
Absolutely incredible. Wish we could walk away with 3 points of course, but the atmosphere was electric from the first touch to the last. The supporters section was like if the band and the yell leaders just played continuously for a whole game. Can't wait to go back.
fig96
AG
Overall that was pretty amazing. Energy was electric and the team was feeling it, so close to 3 points but couldn't quite put one in. One of the best team efforts on the season so far.

Only real complaint (outside of slightly exorbitant beer prices) was leaving the stadium. I got a spot in the gray gravel lot which was pretty easy arriving (though a bit more signage would've been helpful), but trying to get out of there was a nightmare. No one directing traffic and the lot turned into like 6 random lanes trying to merge to get out.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Agree. But the infrastructure is just not there. Hopefully in a couple years they will get better.

Great time
HTownAg98
The lack of parking and traffic control after the games is a feature, not a bug. They want people taking public transportation to the games. That would be great if the train went there (it will soonish), and the City of Austin was competent. Even then, if you're wanting people to take busses, there needs to be some kind of traffic management in place.
Regarding the game, it was a very exciting game to watch. Austin could have just as easily won as lost were it not for some great saves. Gallagher spent too much time playing footsie with the ball instead of just shooting the ball.
fig96
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Even then, if you're wanting people to take busses, there needs to be some kind of traffic management in place.
This is the big highlight from that Totally onboard with encouraging public transit, but if I don't live in town where I can easily get to a train and am paying 35 bucks for a spot you better have someone at the very least getting people out of the lot.

Once we got onto Burnet it was actually pretty easy, just popped down Braker to Metric and back to the freeway.
JT88
AG
Anyone have experience w rideshare to/from? Or "the bicycle valet?"

I can confirm that the gray lot was a near-complete failure w no plan for egress.
JW
AG
Gray lot was a total mess. Will not do again until they figure it out.
JCRiley09
AG
I've read there's a shortage of rideshare drivers so the app surges all the time. So I would guess rideshare would be stupid expensive. Someone on Striker Texas posted a screenshot of an >$100 estimated fare.

I think the bicycle valet has been okay but I'm only heaeing second hand. The biggest downside is that almost every match ends when it's dark and I don't trust drivers in general, and I definitely don't trust them at night.
JCRiley09
AG
Not looking good today y'all
AgRyan04
No Ring, no Lima, no Beasler....no bueno
JCRiley09
AG
Definitely phoning it in to rest for Columbus. Cecilio even came out at half
JCRiley09
AG
Actually. Lima went out hurt early. And Ring got hurt in warmups
JW
AgRyan04
Gotta score goals.
fig96
AG
Couple good chances tonight but same story, couldn't finish.

Summer transfer window can't get here soon enough.
CedarAg
On vacation, so I couldn't watch. Sounds like we played poorly though. We need to score. It will come.
fig96
AG
We didn't play well, but were also out several key starters and Ring was a scratch right before the match. First half felt reasonably even despite the goal, putting one in would have totally changed the game and we had a couple good chances.

Looking forward to a full strength lineup against a tough opponent on Sunday.
Furlock Bones
AG
dear lord this team needs a goal scorer. 1 goal in 7 games. 7th scoreless match already. 0 goals at the new stadium. oof.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Stover has been amazing
Besler is good...Pochettino and Ring do really well in the middle.
I like what I saw from Manneh and Stroud

Then ***undez and Cecilio just can't score. Bummer
AgRyan04
Gotta score goals.

Still.
fig96
AG
Everything about last night was fantastic except for the last of goals. If ***undez had put that first shot in it would've led SportsCenter and absolutely lit the the place up.

That said, he's not the guy we need to be scoring and the problem is we don't really have that guy. Need Dominguez along with Stroud and Gallagher to putting at least a few in, and Pochettino needs to get going as well, but last night showed how desperately we're missing that target striker in the middle.

Really solid match overall though and the atmosphere was again amazing, two more matches then we hit the transfer window with a couple weeks off and things should get really interesting.
fig96
AG
If this had gone in

CedarAg
Energy in the stadium looked great last night. Too bad we can buy a goal.
fig96
AG
JCRiley09
AG
Thank you soccer gods. I don't even need a splash signing, just give me a ripple
fig96
AG
So interesting first move here, young striker from Ligue 2 (France). Had 8 goals last season for a team competing for promotion, from the highlights looks to be a quick one cut kind of striker. Good start IMO, bigger signing will still be coming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.