Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,209 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Calm down, things aren't that bad...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
fig96
AG
Wolff quote from The Striker sums up a lot of this well:

Quote:

"What I've seen with our group is when we score a goal, there's a real hunger and desire to go get another goal," he said. "When we don't get that first goal there seems to be a little apprehension and a bit of anxiety or timidness, and then it's just finding again more calm and clarity as to what we're trying to achieve."
hammerhead
aggiephoenix02 said:

Calm down, things aren't that bad...
Not sure what you are watching...but it is pretty bad. Currently in last place, not sure what your "things aren't that bad" would be..since last place is about as bad as it can be.

JCRiley09
AG
You must be new here. Don't feed the troll
JCRiley09
AG
ATXFC dominating their first Texas Derby

Early red card against Houston. Poch finally gets a goal (1.5 maybe since his shot resulted in the own goal). Cecilio just scored for the first time at Q2.

10 minutes left.
JCRiley09
AG
5 minutes plus added time to go. Lots of subs in. Houston just scored a second goal because of sloppy passes out of the back

3-2
JCRiley09
AG
Victory!
aggiephoenix02
JCRiley09 said:

Victory!
Well isn't that just pretty okay now!? That's really alright!
JT88
AG
Grest night for futball in ATX!
Got the win w Ring playing a more of an attacking role.
Both of the goals conceded Wert gift-wrapped.
Still a chance to make some noise this season & the new offensive players yet to contribute
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
aggiephoenix02
JT88 said:

Still a chance to make some noise this season & the new offensive players yet to contribute
Perhaps, but it's unrealistic to expect that to happen. Worry not though, things are on course and unfolding properly as they should.

All the chicken littles on this thread need to check themselves....
fig96
AG
Can confirm it's way more fun to go to a match where we score several goals and win

Pochettino looked great in particular, hoping this is the spark he needed to start delivering those performances week in and week out.

And exciting post game note from Wolff:

On to FC Frisco!
fig96
AG
TopoTacos
AG
That was definitely the sort of game we expected from Poch and our attack. The shift in midfield definitely seemed to help us out, although playing against 10 always helps

Hopefully Driussi continues to help us get in goal.
fig96
AG
Pochettino is MLS Player of the Week!

aggiephoenix02
Our jerseys are so awesome...
JCRiley09
AG
0-0 against FC Frisco at half

Lineup perry heavily rotated to give a few guys some rest

No Driussi cameo yet
JCRiley09
AG
Down 2-0

Driussi, Cecilio, Poch all subbed in now
JCRiley09
AG
Terrible. I feel bad that half the city traveled to watch Wolff start the back ups
corkscrewduck
TEXAS IS RED YA *******S
CedarAg
JCRiley09 said:

Terrible. I feel bad that half the city traveled to watch Wolff start the back ups
Yep, and there have already been calls to fire Wolff. This can't help.
aggiephoenix02
ATXAg75 said:

JCRiley09 said:

Wolff needs time, he's not a dang magician, y'all...
JCRiley09
AG
Agreed. But benching all of your DPs in a rivalry match?

It's definitely too early to talk firing, but he deserves criticism
CedarAg
aggiephoenix02 said:

ATXAg75 said:

JCRiley09 said:

I agree. I. Not calling for his firing, but lots of fans are not happy.
fig96
AG
I get needing to rest some starters, but doing it in a derby with a ton of fans is tough. Thought this was a fair point:

I thought we actually played a really good first half but waited too long to make changes (obviously). You got out of that half with a scoreless draw then they sub at half, so adjust your plan and bring in your big guns ASAP.

It may take Driussi a bit to integrate into the team, but you definitely saw some flashes with his presence on the ball and his movement off it. That little outside of the boot flick across goal he tried in stoppage was pretty brilliant.

As far as Wolff, criticism of this match is very fair but IMO the time to start really judging him is from here out, we've been playing with an incomplete squad (by design) up till this point. But now there's no more excuses of not having the pieces you need (especially when Djitte gets here) or not having the talent. Now it's time to see what he can do with it.
Furlock Bones
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

ATXAg75 said:

JCRiley09 said:

Here's the problem. Management brought in a guy with no head management experience and a bunch of cheap guys and young cheap guys.

Wolff should not have been hired. A manager with experience should have been brought in or at least 2 quality in their prime players that know the MLS and could help steady the ship.

They did none of that and the results are there to prove it.
fig96
AG
And now a bit of good news, KXAN reports Djitte is en route.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/new-austin-fc-striker-officially-joining-team/amp/
fig96
AG
The problem with this is that management is MLS is a total roll of the dice. You've got seemingly world class managers that have bombed out with no results because they didn't understand the league or US players enough.

While criticism of Wolff is totally warranted right now, he's got exactly the kind of background and pedigree you want for an MLS manager. For me it's too early to say he's not the guy.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm saying he's not the right guy for the situation they put him in. He might turn out to be a great manager. But they started him off in a huge hole at a brand new club.

fig96
AG
And to the other point, I actually like how we've approached the roster build.

They were smart and spent on some key pieces (Ring and Besler) and did some really good business on a few other positions (***undez, Lima, Jimenez, and Stuver among others). The DPs may or may not all work out, but that's just part of the league.

We were cheap out of the gate because the plan was to spend this summer, and we're now one of only a handful of teams with 3 DPs and 3 Young Money players.

Do adjustments need to made and some other pieces and depth added? Absolutely, but for starting from scratch I think it's a really solid start.
Furlock Bones
AG
The results prove the exact opposite of that. We are tied with Miami with 13 goals and we only got to 13 because we scored 3 against a crap dynamo team playing down a man.
JCRiley09
AG
We didn't have the personnel for a solid starting 11 yet. And we got hit hard with the injury bug. At least we will have everyone in positions they've historically played once djitte gets here
fig96
AG
Considering Miami's payroll I'm not sure the spending argument holds up

And while I totally agree with you on scoring issues, as mentioned we've had an incomplete roster by design up till now. Wolff now has the pieces, so let's see what he can do.
fig96
AG
Good point on injuries, we lost a starter game 1 and it's just increased from there. We had like 6 or 7 players out injured before the Gold Cup break.
Furlock Bones
AG
One other thing , we have relied heavily on Stuver playing above his career type. He's reverting hard to his mean. Unless Druissi and Djitte can start throwing in goals quickly, it's going to get worse.
aggiephoenix02
Let me ask y'all this:

When y'all heard the news that Wolff was gonna be our coach how did y'all react?

I for one was really excited and had a certain sense of comfort knowing he was heading up this team.

Now here were are, in the midst of a tough season, early away schedule, injuries, (on top of a being an expansion team and all those problems), things aren't going well and y'all are already acting like a bunch of babies.

At least we have a team to overreact about.

Chicken Littles...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.