Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,181 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yup, that was not pretty but I'll happily take it.

And that makes sense on transfers, the primary transfer window ends on June 1 and the summer window runs for basically the month of July (July 7-August 5).
aggiephoenix02
I'm not a troll... I just want the team I support to suck for a few years before turning it around.
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
aggiephoenix02
I'm not a troll... I just want the team I support to suck for a few years before turning it around.
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
jeffk
AG
Great result on the road in a tough venue last night.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
For those not in Austin, please post score and opponent. Thanks.
JCRiley09
AG
No match this weekend. Matches are available out of market on ESPN+ when they aren't nationally televised
jeffk
AG
You should consider signing up for score alerts through the ESPN app.

Also, the game was five days ago.
Ferg
0-0
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks, Ferg .
fig96
AG
Per Chris Bils sounds like some more formation tweaks may be coming.

Seems like they're working on how to get Pochettino on the ball closer to goal, we were drilling in a 4-4-2 this week with Pochettino and Gallagher up top and Dominguez in one of the wide spots. Wolff also addressed the possibility in a presser.

I also signed up for a free trial with The Striker Texas and will probably subscribe, just for Austin FC there's several really in depth articles each week for like 8 bucks per month. One really good read from a week or two back was an interview with Claudio Reyna about adding players, sounds like we're looking at several new players including potentially both a DP and a young DP (23 or younger):

Quote:

"I would think, really, the needs are a little bit throughout the team," he said. "We're prioritizing the midfield (and) forward. So, midfield moving forward. A midfielder who can generate, with Toms (Pochettino), more chances for the team, and an attacking player as well that can help us with more goals and more threatening actions. And then also, yes, some more depth in defense as well. It's a player in each area of the field. I think that is really where we're at."

The most popular rumor has us linked with Ivorian striker Ake Loba, currently playing for Monterrey in Liga MX. Gonna be a really fun next month or so with this team.
AgRyan04
I'm excited about the watch party at the stadium tomorrow....it'll be nice to have a test run to figure out transportation and get to check out the place before the first game.
Ferg
Goal
JCRiley09
AG
The inability to finish is so frustrating. Huge goal scoring opportunities completely wasted by either being gun shy or just lacking the skill to put it into the back of the net
Ferg
Draw 1-1
JCRiley09
AG
I feel like the win was given away. But it's hard to be upset about 8 points from 8 away matches
JW
AG
Needed to score at least once on those chances.
fig96
AG
That second half wasn't pretty but can't complain about that result away against one of the best teams in the West.

That said our lack of finishing stood out and we really should've finished another one of those chances, the second half subs (Perez especially) brought a nice spark.

Looking forward to this next homestand and the energy a home crowd brings.
Ferg
I'm pretty happy.

8 straight games on the road.

A team that didn't know the coach, the playbook or each other until a month or two before the season.

A team that didn't have its own practice facility and amenities until a few weeks before the season.
(They worked out at St Edwards U then).

A team that only had 17 players available this weekend due to injuries probably from the cumulative stress of above.

A team that hasn't filled out its roster yet, as it spent the last 8 matches figuring out what it needs.

Now for the good stuff.

A brand new stadium.

Twice as many home as away games the rest of the year.

Held its own with 8 points going into the rest of the season

Supports groups that are about to jump out of their skins(in a good way)

A culture developing nicely and other than one owner, not a drop of orange in sight.

A brand new stadium and Training center(that they can use more)

A transfer window coming up with a Designated slot still available on the roster.

3 local stations(one company KXAN, CW, KBVO) all 1080 over the antenna that make sure the games are broadcast widely in Austin, and ESPN+ and national games from time to time on ESPN and Fox Sports.

An international metro area of two million that will double in 20 years(we're gonna need a bigger boat).

A team in Austin that is able to get National Attention without having to fight the orange curtain. Heck you can tell the local sportscasters are stoked.

littlebitofhifi
AG
Get ready for Saturday! Am here for the USWNT tonight and Q2 is first class!
MB19
AG
Wow, looks awesome.

More details please.
littlebitofhifi
AG
1) I ponied up the $$ for parking and got here 2 hours early so that was a breeze but if you don't do that, parking/transport is a NIGHTMARE
2) once in the stadium this is first rate. Drinks/dining/accessibility options are fantastic. I've been to USWNT games in 10-12 different US sites and this is a top notch soccer-specific stadium. The acoustics are loud, the lights are great, and there is not a bad seat in the house.
3) the pitch looks great but needs some work before Saturday. Lots of divots being repaired at half.
fig96
AG
Where'd you park? I got a spot in the near lot through Pavemint for Saturday.

Also curious where you sat and how that was.
HTownAg98
There's roughly 850 parking spots for ~22,000 fans. If you don't have a reserved parking spot, your best bet is to take a bus or the rail and walk a little.
AgRyan04
We took the rail (tonight and last Saturday for the watch party)....super easy....when the open the McKenna station it'll be THE way to get there....right now it's about a 15 min walk to the stadium.

We sat down the sideline last Saturday so we could see the screen and then in the supporters section tonight. The supporter section is VERY different from the rest of the stadium. Bleachers with seats, seats are super tight and it is set up really steep....and there was no air circulation. It'll be like back on the third deck of the student section at Kyle Field (but not as awesome, because nothing equals Kyle Field).

They do need some sort of screen on the other end of the stadium.

Can't wait for Saturday!
AgRyan04
I will say that getting into the stadium was a giant cluster. Took us over 25 minutes once we were in line. By the time we got to the guy with the ticket scanner he was so frazzled that he was just scanning every 3rd or 4th person and just letting everyone else pass through.

I also think they're going to ultimately need to close the roads directly adjacent to the stadium before and after the games. The lines to get in were out to the street and the police were telling people to get onto the sidewalk but there wasnt space....after the game the crowd flow is just too big all at once to stay on the sidewalks.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I parked in the north lot. Super easy and right next to the stadium. Took forever to get out, but I expected it, so I just wandered around the stadium for awhile after the match before even venturing to the car.

Sat in section 114. Right at midfield, access to the Lexus club and couldn't have asked for better seats. Lines in the club for both restrooms and food/drinks moved very quickly but most importantly the view from the seats was fantastic.

Overall I just don't have any complaints from the evening. Agree that there are some kinks to work out with Ticketmaster (scanning barcodes worked better than Bluetooth/rfid scan) and the pitch is going to need monitoring as it hasn't really taken hold yet, but I'd come back again in a heartbeat. Am really jealous of anyone with Saturday tickets.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Crowd really into the game !

Nice going, Austin !
fig96
AG
Gotcha, thanks!

Can't wait for this weekend.
JT88
AG
I echo comments made above re: incredible facility, pitch, overall experience.
Love Valentina's Brisket (even if it is only one slice in a taco)
If you have a parking spot on the East side of Burnet road, try to make your approach coming NORTHbound on Burnet.

Be CAREFUL leaving - driving or walking. People were springint across Burnet road - not at the crosswalk. And at the intersection of Burnet/Braker they were walking diagonally from SE to NW and repeatedly getting caught in the middle of the intersection when the lights changed.

There were police officers everywhere, but unlike at Kyle, they did not take over the intersection. They just let the lights cycle and admonished people to stay in the crosswalk (to very little effect).

Overall a decent effort and plan for traffic for FIRST attempt, but one that needs dramatic improvemnt or someone is going to be seriously injured (or worse)
DeangeloVickers
AG
Ferg
My living room is now my Listos room.
DeangeloVickers
AG

Furlock Bones
AG
McConaughey on the field with a bongo drum.
HTownAg98
He looks like an angry leprechaun.
goose91
AG
Massive chunks of the pitch coming up just 5 minutes in. A bit surprised by that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.