Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,201 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stuver with the HUGE penalty save:

CedarAg
We need a scorer.
JT88
AG
Missed the first half - why no Gallagher?!
CedarAg
JT88 said:

Missed the first half - why no Gallagher?!
I didn't catch it but he wasn't available.
fig96
AG
Yeah, he wasn't part of the 18 apparently due to injury (hopefully minor). ATXFC Twitter said an injury came to light late in the week that's being evaluated.

We definitely missed Ring in the this game, Pereira is a decent player but he doesn't have the experience and the bite to play that holding midfield role. Dominguez was really quiet today but I also think he shifted a bit more central and out of his natural position as the match went on, and Stroud again put in a really solid shift and created some good chances. Pochettino was more involved but also tracking back a lot to try to cover more of Ring's role. Stuver was a beast, that penalty save was brilliant and he had a few other big ones.

Overall our lack of speed on defense got exposed without Ring helping to cover, I feel like we could use a quicker centerback to pair alongside Besler rather than Romana. Not a terrible match against one of the best teams in the league and Chicharito is on an incredible run of form, but we need to start winning a few of these that are in reach.
JCRiley09
AG
Just rewatched the first half. We really have a good squad, but as people have said, one that also struggles to finish. Ring in there plus some kind of an adjustment in the attacking positions - maybe a signing - maybe swapping a player here or there.

I think we can get 2-4 more points out of the final away matches before hopefully stringing some success together at Q2
fig96
AG

JCRiley09
AG
I feel like tomorrow is a must win. Nashville is "undefeated," but only one win. No one has scored on them in May yet though so the forwards really need to get it together.
Furlock Bones
AG
We definitely need to get back on track.
JCRiley09
AG
Very frustrating so far
DeangeloVickers
AG
Need a 9
JCRiley09
AG
F- this road stretch
fig96
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Need a 9
100%. I like Gallagher as a change of pace sub, but we need a big physical hold up kind of striker.

Second half was better than the first tonight, but it looks like the road is starting to wear on this team a bit.
Furlock Bones
AG
Not sure I would blame road fatigue. We haven't been organized all season.
JCRiley09
AG
Did Hoesen or Gallagher ever touch the ball? Makes you wonder if it's the scheme as much as the talent
Furlock Bones
AG
Currently I'm not seeing much scheme. That's part of the problem. I expected it in the first game or 2. But so far I see guys playing Sunday league soccer hoping just to run into a goal. Wolf has a lot of work to do.
fig96
AG
We actually looked much more organized in the first few matches, but even in this match you can tell how we want to play. We had more possession than they did and didn't play a terrible second half, but Nashville is a really tough team to break down.

I also don't think the starting lineup helped, Stroud needs to be in there and ***undez is a stronger start than Pereira right now. That'll help solidfy the middle of the pitch and let Pochettino have a bit more creative freedom moving forward which will also start to help free up more space down the wing.
CedarAg
Growing pains for a startup. I know next to nothing on strategy but I do know what I like to see on the pitch. I enjoy an attacking style of offense. Put the ball into the box and threaten the goal. Good things will either happen by design or by luck on the rebound of a block. This team threatens nothing in the box. When we have occasionally in the past it has lead to scores. Right now we are just not threatening to a defense. We don't put enough crosses into the box and when we do there is often no one there on the receiving end. Defense is ok, but this team needs a scoring threat and I don't think we have that on the roster. We just need to survive until we can get home. Then let's improve as we go. I want to see growth and I'm not seeing it right now.
AgRyan04
It's official - Q2 will be at 100% capacity for the home opener!
JCRiley09
AG
Great news! LISTOS!
aggiephoenix02
I'm happy with the direction our team has been heading as of late...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Ferg
This could be a mess.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/northwest-austin/sports/2021/05/26/austin-fc-releases-transportation-plan-with-details-for-off-site-parking-rideshare-drop-off-zones/?type=article&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter_article
DeangeloVickers
AG
For sure. It's crazy how little parking is there. Tow trucks will be raking in the dough.
JCRiley09
AG
Big payday for Uber and any small business up there selling parking spots
aggiephoenix02
I'm still here, and the bandwagon is looking a little less full. Things are playing out perfect...
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
fig96
AG
I bought a spot at the lot right next to the stadium for the first match through their Pavemint app, will report back.
Fairview20
AG
Considering all the single game tickets sold out in under like 30 min, I believe it's still very full.
JCRiley09
AG

JT88
AG
The merchandise store is open on the North side of the stadium.
Some parking available on the street on Aguilar.
Worth walking up and through, it is going to be a great place to watch a game!
CedarAg
JT88 said:

The merchandise store is open on the North side of the stadium.
Some parking available on the street on Aguilar.
Worth walking up and through, it is going to be a great place to watch a game!
That store looks great! I want a Yeti coffee cup in the Verde.
JCRiley09
AG
I've been a couple times. And have spent SO much money. The verde yetis are awesome. And if you have kids, just prepare to spend all your money on clothes for them.
fig96
AG

The store is really great, and hopefully by now they're more restocked in mediums and larges.
JCRiley09
AG
Scoreless at half at Seattle. Not sure I would have predicted that
JCRiley09
AG
Wow wow wow. I'LL TAKE IT
JCRiley09
AG
I can't think of a better way to go into the international break. Expect one or two signings before our next match. Definitely before the home opener.

Edit: okay I re-read the Striker article on summer signings and it said signings most likely July. But still. One can hope.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.