Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,220 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
CedarAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolff stated today that Ben Sweat has torn ACL. Sucks for him to miss this inaugural season. Also, nothing has changed on Pochettino, he is working out and practicing but they are still waiting for issue to be resolved.
fig96
AG
Unfortunately kind of figured as much, that didn't look good.

Kolmanic looked solid coming on as a sub though, this is his chance to step and show what he can do.
CedarAg
fig96 said:

Unfortunately kind of figured as much, that didn't look good.

Kolmanic looked solid coming on as a sub though, this is his chance to step and show what he can do.
Kolmanic had some nice ball placement into the middle last weekend.
jeffk
AG
JCRiley09
AG
Great news!
fig96
AG
Glad that's over and done with.

Though it's going to be tough to keep ***undez off the field after his performance last week, will be interesting to see how Wolff tweaks the lineup.
Ferg
Austin FC at Minn. United getting ready to start
Ferg
Goal!!!!!!
fig96
AG
Gonna be tough to keep ***undez out of this lineup.
Ferg
fig96 said:

Ferg
Ferg said:

fig96 said:

Absolutely.
Ferg
Final Austin 1- Minn 0. Go Verde!
HTownAg98
I only saw the last 25 minutes, but this does not look like an expansion team. The defense was solid, and they had several very nice passes played forward that kept MN from just totally committing men forward. They're only screwup was they should have scored in the 94th minute.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Just need some scorers. Really dominate in defense and midfield....probably should've been 3-0
Fairview20
AG
Two wins in a row as underdogs. Don't remember what last week's line was, but Austin was +300 to win tonight. Probably going to get more respect from Vegas going forward now.
fig96
AG
I think we're going to use that third DP slot on a striker this summer. If we had a true clinical scorer up top this team could be lethal.
Furlock Bones
AG
Well Minnesota had only lost twice at home in the passed two seasons. We just handed them their 2nd straight home loss and 3rd straight loss overall. This is a team that played in the western conference finals.

Great win for the oaks.
JCRiley09
AG
Really love this team. Clean sheet. Winning streak.

Would love to see what Gallagher could do for 60 minutes instead of 30.
CedarAg
JCRiley09 said:

Really love this team. Clean sheet. Winning streak.

Would love to see what Gallagher could do for 60 minutes instead of 30.
I agree on Gallagher. He brings a new energy out there. Things always seem to get going with him in. He likes to attack. I really like his style.
JCRiley09
AG
Also you can probably find me ragging on Romana in this thread and I would like withdraw criticism. He's solid. Even against LA he was great at CB.
fig96
AG
Cracked the top 10 in the week 3 MLS Power Rankings, not a bad start. Sounds like we're impressing some people.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/power-rankings-nycfc-orlando-rise-skc-fall-after-week-3
JCRiley09
AG
Big match in a few minutes! Gallagher starting!

LISTOS!
Ferg
JCRiley09 said:

Big match in a few minutes! Gallagher starting!

LISTOS!

Go Verde!!!!!
Ferg
Those kits are sharp.
JCRiley09
AG
Gallagher!!
DeangeloVickers
AG
What a cross by Stroud for the goal! Wow
bbry81
Wish the stripes went all the way around
Fairview20
AG
Tough break, but this was inevitable with the amount of shots SKC was getting. Also doesn't help playing down a man because your captain kept making boneheaded plays.
JCRiley09
AG
nm

I somehow managed to write the exact same thing as Fairview 19 minutes later
JCRiley09
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4382104/mls-power-rankings-seattle-still-no-1chicharito-and-la-galaxy-no-2-after-beating-lafc

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/power-rankings-nycfc-red-bulls-surpassing-expectations-after-week-4

Down to 13/14 in power rankings. These things don't really matter until about match 10 IMO, but still fun to follow.
fig96
AG
Agreed, at this point I'm fine with it. If you'd told me before the season that we'd start off 2-2 I'd happily have taken that.

Tactically we're well ahead of where I expected us to be which is the important part, we're still figuring out the exact execution but this team knows how it wants to play and goes out and does it (which a lot of teams in the league can't say). Massive credit to Wolff and his staff for that, as the season goes on our guys will get better at figuring out their exact responsibilities and understanding how each other play.

I'm also excited for a potential big signing this summer, we've got a DP slot that ownership has talked about using and definitely need a striker to anchor things up top. Adding a true goal scorer would totally change how teams have to defend against us and could make this a really tough team to beat.
CedarAg
fig96 said:

I'm also excited for a potential big signing this summer, we've got a DP slot that ownership has talked about using and definitely need a striker to anchor things up top. Adding a true goal scorer would totally change how teams have to defend against us and could make this a really tough team to beat.
I too am excited to see who this DP will be. We need a stone cold killer of a striker. I love the adjustments that Wolff made going into this last match. Gallagher brought that energy out there to start the game but disappeared as the match went on. Would love to see him as a reservist to bring that pick me up when we need it or need a change of pace. Pochettino was so close to scoring and his leg is deadly. That ball just bends so well when he strikes it. I'm loving this team. I don't know much about the MLS or soccer over all. You guys know way more than me. I've seen so many people online that are saying we don't look like an expansion team at all. That gets me super pumped. It seems that we built this thing the right way. Now let's finish the build and add that last much needed piece.
fig96
AG
We had our stadium tour this afternoon and all I can say is wow.

Q2 is freakin' beautiful and it's just so well thought out. They pay homage to the city in lots of little ways and there's so many cool details all over the stadium. And I'm going to splurge for a game and buy some of the crazy expensive on field seats because their exclusive little club is amazing (and has apparently access to exclusive merch).

The views from everywhere are fantastic (and our seats are great) and that place is gonna be LIT when it's packed out, it feels way smaller than you might expect. Tons of restrooms and the food seems well spread out and easy to get to, and there's a really cool little "El Mercado" strip on one end that's designed to feel like a row of street vendors under hanging lights with hot dogs, sandwiches, and wraps (and also Double Dave's for some reason but hey pepperoni rolls).

Also visited the team store which is really great, and yes I bought the green Yeti and it's beautiful
Ferg
It looks like today's match against LA Galaxy is on Univision and TUDN. Twitter is streaming it also.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1377048954756497409?s=20

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.