Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

31,200 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

So interesting first move here, young striker from Ligue 2 (France). Had 8 goals last season for a team competing for promotion, from the highlights looks to be a quick one cut kind of striker. Good start IMO, bigger signing will still be coming.

god i hope so. currently, ownership seems to be going for a cut rate team budget. this signing only reinforces that thought.
fig96
AG
Furlock Bones said:

fig96 said:

So interesting first move here, young striker from Ligue 2 (France). Had 8 goals last season for a team competing for promotion, from the highlights looks to be a quick one cut kind of striker. Good start IMO, bigger signing will still be coming.

god i hope so. currently, ownership seems to be going for a cut rate team budget. this signing only reinforces that thought.
Not really, has more to do with how MLS rosters get built.

Most big signings come in the summer window and Reyna has talked about how they plan to sign one if not two DPs which should put us middle of the league in spending. Of the base roster Ring was not a cheap signing nor was Besler, and ***undez may be a steal at 400k.

Reyna talked about how he was planning to spend wisely with a young money signing and this is it, definitely more coming.
Furlock Bones
AG
we have the 3rd lowest budget in the MLS. that's the definition of cut rate.
JCRiley09
AG
The team has indicated they plan on spending money this transfer window though. No one is saying we're big spenders right now, but all indications are that we'll spend enough to rise in the rankings this next month.
Furlock Bones
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The team has indicated they plan on spending money this transfer window though. No one is saying we're big spenders right now, but all indications are that we'll spend enough to rise in the rankings this next month.

I think part of it is that Precourt posted that green smoke gif. My perception was it Indicated a big signing. But what we got was a cheap young player that few people know.

Maybe they will do the smoke for every signing going forward.

For what it's worth, I want to be wrong on this. I just don't want a Houston Dynamo 2.0. I want a big time club in texas.

Dynamo got new ownership so that may change but their prior group wanted to squeeze every dollar out of trh club they could.

FC Dallas has shown their priority is to build a world class academy. They are on the road to that. But they don't seem to care much about actually winning.

JCRiley09
AG
Reyna said in an interview earlier this month that we're hoping to sign 2 forwards this window. One under 23, one DP. This is part of the plan.

Highly recommend a Striker Texas subscription if you're this interested in the inter workings of the team.
JCRiley09
AG
Also, the "cheap young player" has a value on transfermarkt of $1.65M.
AgRyan04
I'm curious soon he can he be on the pitch?

I'm excited that mgmt sees and acknowledges the issue up front and is actively working towards addressing it.
JCRiley09
AG
Seattle Sounders 7/22. Maybe the friendly against Tigres 7/13
fig96
AG
Furlock Bones said:

we have the 3rd lowest budget in the MLS. that's the definition of cut rate.
And as I mentioned, another DP will put us middle of the league. We could also potentially buy down Pochettino's contract and add two more.

We're not LA, but it's way too early to say this team won't spend money.
fig96
AG
Bit more info:

And highlights:
fig96
AG

Seconded on The Striker btw, well worth a couple bucks a month if you follow any of the Texas MLS teams.
DeangeloVickers
AG
The MLS Salary Cap, designated player, international players, etc is weird.
AgRyan04
Amen to that!

So I know the transfer window doesn't open until July 7th but I don't know all the ins and outs of how that works.

I know if a player is under contract, the transfer windows are the only times that you can acquire them. But if they are not under contract, do you still have to wait until a window to sign them? Or are they available at any point?
Out in Left Field
AG
Will Austin score tonight?!?
JCRiley09
AG
They're putting a lot of pressure on goal. I think so.

But then again I thought the same during Columbus
JCRiley09
AG
OMG AND SECONDS LATER!!!
Out in Left Field
AG
You're welcome. I'll show myself out.
dmart90
AG
Goooooooooooal!!!
JCRiley09
AG
My spirit animal is Diego ***undez
Mike Elko
AG
Nice first half, minus conceding late. And Dominguez needs to stop diving. Flopping around like a fish.

I predict a "soccer" fight in the second half. Vamos!
JCRiley09
AG
I think with the Portland player throwing his spikes up after that slide should have been a yellow, maybe red, and a PK
JCRiley09
AG
Cecilio maybe goes down too often, but until the refs card flopping, there's only upside
goose91
AG
Flood gates have opened!
Furlock Bones
AG
What a night this has been for the franchise. Love it.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is pretty badass

Jason_Ag98
AG
Atmosphere at the stadium looked awesome!
Onceaggie2.0
as a sad sack dynamo fan im jealous of yalls stadium and atmosphere...Awesome win
JCRiley09
AG
We have some haters for sure, but the team and especially supporters are starting to really gain some respect
AgRyan04
THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SCORE GOALS!!!

On the rail in the way home....stadium was rocking. That was a fun game.

(and the green lights have been used in all games before kickoff of each half)

JCRiley09
AG
Stuver had zero saves. This is a good thing!!
dmart90
AG
Goal celebration!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Very impressive performance. I thought it was some really interesting tactical positioning as well.
Maybe signing a 21 year old striker got everyone ready to fight for their position?
Ring at CB with everyone wide was interesting. 4th goal was an impressive display by Jimenez
Good stuff!
dmart90
AG
Wow! That was AWESOME! The stadium experience and the fans eruption when Austin FC broke the seal and scored their first home goal was simply incredible! Austin FC is an attacking club and last night it paid off in spades. I am hoarse today from all the yelling and singing. What a fun, fun, fun game and experience. Man, I am still pumped!
goose91
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Stuver had zero saves. This is a good thing!!
I don't think the stats are accurate. Stuver clearly has a save at the 17 minute mark of the match.

One of the first highlights in this video:

Austin FC finds offensive groove in 4-1 win over Portland Timbers | 2021 MLS HIGHLIGHTS

Official scorekeeper must have lost track of it in all the excitement of the 4 goals. :-)

Chris '91

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.