Houston Dynamo 2017 Season Thread

41,697 Views | 566 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goal scorer never even came back onside. Totally blown call.
oh no
AG
AR is crooked or blind. One of the two.
gig them
AG
We actually went out and outplayed someone on the road. Sucks that that performance won't bring home three points.
tremble
AG
Terrible blown call
Bryan98
AG
Today in Russia, VAR has disallowed a number of offsides goals - one of them much closer than the one last night.

I'm still pissed we got screwed, but at least in a month or so this BS should be a thing of the past in MLS.
aggie7911
Was at the game in la saw a few Houston fans very nice stadium and complex in Carson .
Dre_00
That Chile goal looked 100% onside. No idea what VAR saw on that one.
oh no
AG
The Chilean goal was just barely off and VAR rightfully took it off. The galaxy goal at 90+5 was bad. Should never have needed VAR.
Dre_00
Dynamo trade #1 spot in allocation order to DC United for #9 spot in allocation order, $100k in GAM and $75k in TAM. DC using the spot to pick up Deshorn Brown so we the #8 spot on the order now.

I'm cool with that. The allocation list is kind of a scam anyway. Players on the list don't become available that often and you never know if/when it will happen. Plus, it resets at the end of each season (I think). Realistically, players have enough bargaining power that they aren't going to sign with MLS if they don't like the team that is going to pick them.

Also...surprising there was that much clarity in how much GAM and TAM we received. Confirmed by the club no less.
fig96
AG
Also pretty cool, Dynamo were hosting the Texas Special Olympics team at BBVA today, had them sign contracts, had lockers fully set up for them and everything. Lots of neat Instagram stories if you follow them.

https://instagr.am/p/BVkwxZhhacA

Dre_00
Corey Roepken (who by the way is relatively new to covering MLS and maybe even soccer in general but is light years better at covering this team than his predecessor) noticed that the allocation money received from DC equals the amount traded to LA for AJ De La Garza. So effectively traded the allocation spot for AJ which is a pretty decent deal if you ask me.
Bryan98
AG
I think AJ has been very good for us. The difference between this year's roster and last year's is night and day.

Just one example - Wenger may have been our best forward last year. This year, he's our fifth choice.
gig them
AG
Dre_00 said:

Also...surprising there was that much clarity in how much GAM and TAM we received. Confirmed by the club no less.

I believe this was a concerted effort made by the league, if I'm not mistaken. Fans were sick of trading actual assets for the vague notion of "allocation monies," and clubs were instructed to change their transparency accordingly.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

Corey Roepken (who by the way is relatively new to covering MLS and maybe even soccer in general but is light years better at covering this team than his predecessor) noticed that the allocation money received from DC equals the amount traded to LA for AJ De La Garza. So effectively traded the allocation spot for AJ which is a pretty decent deal if you ask me.

He's a good egg. Covered sports of all types up where I used to live in Montgomery Co.
gig them
AG
Nice writeup/video on Cabrera by MLSSoccer.com

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/20/no-risk-no-success-how-wilmer-cabrera-changing-houston-mls-insider
Out in Left Field
gig them
AG
Fantastic solo effort by Torres. He looks up for it tonight.

So far, so good.
tremble
AG
Good game and a nice sized crowd so far
tremble
AG
Dinky deflection
gig them
AG
Ugh, I had a feeling that unmarked header from ten yards out would come back to bite us.

Good match, overall. Didn't like the OBG start over Alex... Alex has been our best player on the season, and should be the first name on the team sheet imo.

Hopefully I'm missing some injury news, otherwise I'm a little confused
Texaggie7nine
Went to game. Defense is still crap. Cubo is a team leader and gives the best effort.
7nine
Bockaneer
AG
Cubo must've shagged the refs wife else why couldn't he catch a call? Horrible center.

Exciting match but man was compass swampy tonight.
Dre_00
I was only able to watch the first 25 minutes or so but our defending on set pieces looked hoooooorible while I was watching...but damn this team looks good on the counter.

Half way point in the season. If we finish with 50 points, I'll consider it a very good season that exceeded expectations by some margin. But it's clear we'll need to make some additions in the off-season to continue our improvement.
aggie7911
Elias and Quito should be on the field at the same time and yes Alex should absolutely start.
Bryan98
AG
aggie7911 said:

Elias and Quito should be on the field at the same time and yes Alex should absolutely start.

One of those three names is on our team! XD
aggie7911
Is that an attempt at trying to be funny?
Bryan98
AG
You edited your reply to me twice, but not your post with the misspelled player names? Let me help you out:

Elis (Elias are sports historians)
Quioto (Quito is a town in Ecuador)

aggie7911
Player name smack !
jeffk
AG
Any thoughts on Kinear getting sacked today? I know you were around for most of his Dynamo time.
Dre_00
First off, let me say (and not to brag) that I had the very good fortune of spending a bit more time with him the average fan. I was fortunate enough to play a round of 18 with him. I interviewed him on a radio show for nearly 2 hours and asked him all sorts of questions from who was the worst USMNT manager of all time (his response...he shares his name with an island) to blonde or brunette (brunette). He is an amazingly intelligent coach, person, and a fantastic human being.

I think the timing of his firing is curious. I thought his hiring was curious. I think in general, SJ is going through somewhat of identity change similar to what Houston was/is going through. I think in a lot of ways, the "new" MLS (or version 3.0/4.0 depending on who you ask) has proved a tougher nut to crack than his glory days with SJ and Houston. SJ hasn't made the playoffs the last two years and they aren't exactly lighting it up this season. But firing him after a win that took them into the playoff zone is weird. It effectively demonstrates that he should have been let go after the end of last season as it wasn't necessarily on the field results that did him in but rather "the larger picture".

I'll be really interested to see what happens next. He was once a name you heard mentioned as a potential USMNT coach and now he'll probably have a hard time getting another MLS gig. Hard to believe he's only 49 years old as his greatest success came 10+ years ago and the last several years have been pretty barren for him. That said, I think he'll get another shot in time and I hope he kills it when he does.

jeffk
AG
Yeah, I've heard a few of your stories before which is why I asked. They used to live down in S. Houston and his kids attended and played soccer at the school i coached at prior to my arrival. I got to hear lots of funny stories of Dom the soccer dad and his interactions with the coach I replaced there. I think we would have gotten along pretty well. He does seem like a great guy and he is a good coach, just tough to reinvent yourself and your strategies as the league evolves. You have to do a little of that at my lower level, but we don't get picked apart by our opposition nearly as quickly if we don't.

I hope he finds another gig soon.
fig96
AG
Great post man, thanks for sharing.

While I wasn't entirely sad to see him move on as I felt like we needed a change, by all accounts he was a great guy and was definitely good for the Dynamo.

My favorite Dom moment has to be when he played in Ching's testimonial game and was cautioned as he came onto the pitch
gig them
AG
I loved everything about that testimonial. Landon was a perfect heel keeper for the team opposite Ching. The whole thing was just great.
fig96
AG
gig them said:

I loved everything about that testimonial. Landon was a perfect heel keeper for the team opposite Ching. The whole thing was just great.
For sure, that was a really fun evening.
Texaggie7nine
Prices for the US cup game on wed are really low. Is that because we won't be playing regular starters?
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.