Houston Dynamo 2017 Season Thread

41,695 Views | 566 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
aggie7911
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dre_00 said:

Cubo has 5 goals this pre-season...we've found his level of play!
HBU has a good defense.
gig them
AG
aggie7911
FC Dallas sucks and their fans do as well...
gig them
AG
It's easy to diffuse them with what I call "The Dallas Cowboys defense."

That's the thing where you point to really old titles any time you're challenged by a team without titles.

It's pretty effective.
fig96
AG
Well we aren't going to boring to watch this year, that's for sure. Already more chances generated in this match than I think we saw through the first half of the season in 2016.
Mustang1
AG
Wow what a 1st half. Could be much worse than 2-0.
tremble
AG
What a goal
PJYoung
AG
What is this???

So entertaining.
Out in Left Field
fig96
AG
Let up some in the second half, but seriously promising and a nice 3 points.
jeffk
AG
Wait a second!

Even the orange arrow is a premium emoticon?!
Brick Tamland
Great start!
Bryan98
AG
Loved it!
ja86
Bockaneer
AG
looked lazy in the second half - going to have to fix that or we could be staring at last year all over again. FTR I think we will and there was some definite excitement last night.

New south side concourse w rebranded foods was ok, love that they opened up the deck.
Dre_00
2nd half proved still a WIP but team was more entertaining in first 15 minutes than all of last season. We should be better and we will be more entertaining. Whether that translates into a playoff spot remains to be seen. No matter what, there's a reason to watch the team again so I'll take it.
fig96
AG
What's in the concourse? Living in Austin now, should be back for a game in the next month or so.
Bockaneer
AG
The service areas feature different courses - one is dogs (backyard had potato salad, baked beans, and BBQ sauce); one is tacos; etc. a few more options. The deck now has a bar and is open so we ate down there before game time.

Honestly, I thought they were bringing in different vendors or restaurants so it was a let down but still better than last year.
aggie7911
Bockaneer said:

The service areas feature different courses - one is dogs (backyard had potato salad, baked beans, and BBQ sauce); one is tacos; etc. a few more options. The deck now has a bar and is open so we ate down there before game time.

Honestly, I thought they were bringing in different vendors or restaurants so it was a let down but still better than last year.
I love the open bar deck very cool...Wish I had gotten there earlier and watched the first half from there.
PJYoung
AG
Love this analogy

fig96
AG
Considering I couldn't tell you what Coyle's team philosophy was, I'm totally on board with this.
AG@RICE
AG
fig96 said:

Considering I couldn't tell you what Coyle's team philosophy was, I'm totally on board with this.

I honestly couldnt understand anything that coyle ever said. I think having a coach who can actually communicate with players is going to be a big deal. I'm not sure our American players could decipher Coyles heavy accent, and certainly not any of our Latin players.

Nice start to the season. I'm very cautiously optimistic, but that was a ton of fun to watch...I haven't said that about a dynamo team in at least 2 years. I credit their improved performance on me not getting season tickets. I'm fairly sure my fandom is a curse. Sorry fellow ags, rockets, texans, liverpool and dynamo fans...
gig them
AG
I only ask one thing of the teams I support: If you can't be good, at least be entertaining.

We definitely nailed the second part, and things are looking up for the first.
Dre_00
gig them said:

I only ask one thing of the teams I support: If you can't be good, at least be entertaining.

We definitely nailed the second part, and things are looking up for the first.

Quoted for truth. I'm sure this team will frustrate us this season but it's amazing what a philosophy and an ethos can do for an organization. Define what you are and what you aren't and stick to it. Make yourself a better version of what you are every day in practice, every weekend in games, and every off-season in the roster decisions you make.
fig96
AG
AG@RICE said:

fig96 said:

I honestly couldnt understand anything that coyle ever said. I think having a coach who can actually communicate with players is going to be a big deal. I'm not sure our American players could decipher Coyles heavy accent, and certainly not any of our Latin players.

Nice start to the season. I'm very cautiously optimistic, but that was a ton of fun to watch...I haven't said that about a dynamo team in at least 2 years. I credit their improved performance on me not getting season tickets. I'm fairly sure my fandom is a curse. Sorry fellow ags, rockets, texans, liverpool and dynamo fans...
He said "Switch on!" a lot. I don't know what that meant.

I think the idea of knowing what we are is spot on. We won't win every game and this is a young team that will make some mistakes, but we're going to be fun to watch and we as supporters now understand what we're trying to do.
Dre_00
I'm going to be that guy for a second and correct you...we're actually the oldest team in MLS. Average age is near 28.

But our key attacking players are young. Torres is 24, Quioto is 25, Elis is 21...Manotas is 21. So in a sense, you are correct in that a team whose offensive threats are all young(ish) is going to make mistakes in the attack.
fig96
AG
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed. I imagine Beasley, Rico, and Sanchez don't help there
Dre_00
Definitely not. OBG, Machado, and Agus are all over 30 too and we have a lot of guys in their late 20s.
gig them
AG
Stunning accuracy

Dre_00
Well file this under "Things I totally missed" but the Dynamo website doesn't show Manotas as a DP any more. When asked about it, the Dynamo beat reporter said he's looking into it but "I don't think the Dynamo website is wrong".

It's not uncommon for transfer or loan fees to be incorporated into a cap hit thereby taking a salary that is non-DP and making the player a DP nonetheless. Would be nice if the Dynamo had some flexibility to add a DP in the summer. I doubt they would but hope springs eternal if the spot is actually available.
Texaggie7nine
At the game. We certainly aren't a possession team but we make the most of what we get. I really like our front 3.
7nine
fig96
AG
These guys are just a blast to watch. We are what we are and we're dangerous and pretty darn entertaining.

Side note, my best friend's kiddos got to walk out with the Dynamo today, were with De La Garza and Remick. Fun stuff.
JJxvi
AG
Dayum
Brick Tamland
1st place
Bockaneer
AG
the ref ruined our clean sheet but didn't dampen our spirits - forevrorange

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.