Houston Dynamo 2017 Season Thread

41,761 Views | 566 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't say that the Dynamo aren't making moves. Not sure if they are the right moves but they are making moves.

O/U on Bruin goals next season: 9.5

I'm taking the over. I don't have a problem with moving Bruin but I think he'll do well in Seattle.
Texaggie7nine
Bruin is never going to be better than mediocre.
7nine
FW Declerk
is he even going to play in Seattle? My guess he hardly gets playing time.
Dre_00
He'll play. Schmetzer wants to play Morris on the wing and they didn't pick up the option on Valdez.

One move that got lost in the transfer news. Dynamo picked up Leonardo rights from the Galaxy in the expansion draft. Spent most of the year hurt on a $160k salary. Since he was a 2nd round pick, Dynamo can renegotiate that number for a lower amount...or he can play outside of MLS.
fig96
AG
I have a bad feeling Bruin may be really effective on a team with better wing play.

As you mentioned, for better or worse we're definitely making moves.
fig96
AG
And I didn't intentionally select that last post icon.
Dre_00
Juan David Cabezas, a d-mid at Deportivo Cali who has been loaned out for each of the last 6 seasons, seems to be about to make his loan debut in the US with the Dynamo. Loan next year with (you guessed it) an option to buy. Dynamo have not announced but Cali twitter has.

An odd pickup for a number of reasons. This smells like Luiz Camargo all over again.
FW Declerk
I would take a Colombian player over any other S American country except for Brazil.
Dre_00
Camargo was Brazilian. Just sayin.

Dynamo have 10 international players under contract but 3 are the loan players from 2016 whose options come up end of year. They have to cut down to 8 by the time they register rosters for 2017. Given who they've picked up, I think you can kiss Arnold and Brown goodbye. They may drop Escalante as well if they want some flexibility and/or ever find the 10 they've supposedly been looking for.
Bockaneer
AG
any chance we make a play for Honda?
Dre_00
Didn't even know he was looking at MLS till you posted his name. Interesting.

Dynamo have to offload international roster spots as is in order to get to the limit of 8 (won't be too difficult as they'll just deny the buy options on their loanees). The bigger impediment is that they have used all of their DP spots. According to the Dynamo website, Elis comes in as a DP. Manotas and Torres brings us to 3. All of that with the fact that Honda probably is going to ask for multiple millions per year and I'd say it's very, very unlikely.

I'll say if he comes to MLS, he'll go to Vancouver. Just a SWAG though.
AG@RICE
AG
That is probably the saddest set of designated players you could ever compile...
Dre_00
Raul Rodriguez completes the inevitable move away from Houston and is no playing in China. Horst also will no longer be with the team.
DuncanField91
AG

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/09/01/all-stars-duds-ranking-designated-players-all-20-teams

Quote:

Things might be even bleaker in Houston and San Jose. DaMarcus Beasley, Cubo Torres and Mauro Manotas are not getting it done for the Dynamo and attackers Simon Dawkins and Innocent Emeghara have combined for three goals and two assists for the Quakes, who still have Orlando's Matias Perez Garcia count as a DP on their roster.

It's hard to see how any of these teams becoming legitimate Cup contenders without significant improvement from their Designated Players.

fig96
AG
Beasley is out of contract. And I'm hoping we move on from Torres at this point.
Texaggie7nine
fig96 said:

Beasley is out of contract. And I'm hoping we move on from Torres at this point.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/06/houston-dynamos-cabrera-vows-help-cubo-torres-explode-his-talent
7nine
Texaggie7nine
So I was looking on Flash Seats for tickets for tomorrow's Rockets game and I come across the Houston Dynamo section.

They are on Flash seats now.

7nine
fig96
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

fig96 said:

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/06/houston-dynamos-cabrera-vows-help-cubo-torres-explode-his-talent
Well, if we're gonna keep him at least give the guy minutes and see what he can do.

He wasn't very successful for us, but he also didn't get a ton of great opportunities.
Dre_00
I don't think it makes sense to trade Torres unless you have to free up his salary to sign another relatively high priced DP. You're going to get pennies on the dollar for him at this point so might as well see if Cabrera can get anything out of him. He was able to before and should be afforded the opportunity to do so again. If he can't, dump his salary for whatever you can get him, if you can.

MLS draft is today. Dynamo had the 4th pick in the 1st round but traded it to Portland for the 10th pick, $100K in GAM and an international roster spot. Portland went on to select Jeremy Ebobisse, a US U-20 forward who I think could be very, very good. That said, I don't have a problem with this trade because they got a fair bit in return. That extra international spot means that the Dynamo can still look abroad for that #10 they've been looking for.
Dre_00
Well, there went that idea. Dynamo draft a 24 year old international in Joseph Holland with the 10th pick. So, if they keep him, they'll have to use the international spot they picked up in order to do so.
heddleston
AG
I'm excited to see that we actually get to see how much in TAM GAM BAM RAM etc is being exchanged in these deals now.
Brick Tamland
Picked up DeLaGarza from LA
Dre_00
I was bummed to see them pass on Ebobisse in order to pick up a 24 year old holding mid who takes up an international spot but it seems like the GAM from that deal was used to pick up De La Garza...and I like that pickup. Anibaba was better at RB than I thought he'd be but I still don't want to trot him out there game in and game out. De La Garza should be a much better player.

In other news, looks like Cristian Maidana has found a home in Qatar with Al Ahli. Signed a 6 month contract.
Dre_00
Has a separate thread but worthy of a post here too.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/16/premier-development-league-soccer-headed-brazos-valley
byfLuger41
PJYoung
AG
Bockaneer
AG
?KQJFKAAIxKwWgwODMQX.XVqjWYyyU64z&itok=pArtoNcp

when my son said blue pinstripes I was really hoping they were vertical
jeffk
AG
I like it.
Texaggie7nine
Beasley is back.
7nine
fig96
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Beasley is back.
Assuming it was a discounted deal, which I'm sure it was, I'm totally ok with that. He's still one of the best left backs in the league and a young team like this can use his leadership.
PJYoung
AG
Brad Davis signs a one day deal.
Texaggie7nine
PJYoung said:

Brad Davis signs a one day deal.
7nine
jeffk
AG
Welcome home, BD.
aggie7911
I like the AJ signing but the rest of team is garbage..

Here is to 10 beers on 100 hot summer nights.
Dre_00
Cubo has 5 goals this pre-season...we've found his level of play!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.