Houston Dynamo 2017 Season Thread

41,759 Views | 566 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig them
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I was looking at coming up for the game just because of the Thanksgiving break.

The start time is horrible.
PJYoung
AG
Dre_00
You know...the start time isn't ideal but for the love of God, let's all stop using ****ty excuses as a crutch for poor attendances.

The Dynamo have had ****ty attendance this entire year (don't point to announced crowds...actually butts in seats has been well below whatever number of free tickets the front office gave away in order to boost attendance). You can't blame a season's worth of ****ty attendance on things like start times or days of the week. Bottom line is a good market shows up for a Western Conference Final whether the start time is at 9 PM on a weekday or 3 PM on a weekday. Put it this way...I have no doubt that Seattle, Portland, Toronto, etc. would sell out a 9 PM weekday start time for a conference final. This should be a sellout (a true sellout...not a corporate giveaway "sellout") given what's up for grabs, the fact there are 2 weeks to sell the game, etc.

(Note: I don't 100% blame the fans for attendances. The front office deserves at least half the blame if not more. We know the Dynamo can have packed stadiums with rowdy atmospheres because we've seen it before. Those people didn't move away or anything.)
Texaggie7nine
Honestly, flash seats has spoiled me. If I can't get on the field seats for less than 40 or club seats for 20, I don't want to go.
7nine
jeffk
AG
Quote:

Those people didn't move away or anything.

Not all of them anyway.
Dre_00
Haha...touche.
jeffk
AG
I'm guilty too. Thought about driving down for the game, but I have class that night and the next morning. If I was an undergrad I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it's tough to play off being that exhausted in a class of grad students.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

Quote:

Those people didn't move away or anything.

Not all of them anyway.
Seconded
gig them
AG
Me three. I had season tickets three years ago... and then I had a kid.

Now I flash seats what I can and catch the rest on TV. I need the new crop of kid-less professionals to pick up the slack.
Bryan98
AG
I can't believe this horrible start time. You have to give some consideration to the home crowd. We should never start a game any later than 8pm.
AG@RICE
AG
I abandoned my season tickets because the games just weren't any fun to go to last year. The atmosphere was sucked out of that place and it doesn't have the same level of enjoyment that it used to.

The team is much better this year and I've been to a game, but its still not as fun as it was 4 or 5 years ago. The ownership group has done a wonderful job putting together a much better team with a very good coach. Now they need to focus on making the in game atmosphere better.

Also, they need to push back against the league when they screw us like this. Seattle can afford to have late/early start times due to their overall fan support. The MLS doesn't have the same market in Houston compared to Seattle (No NBA team) and Portland (No NFL/MLB). The MLS needs to try to maintain their brand in these kinds of markets instead of giving them the middle finger.
moneyag7
I don't know why people on here are upset about the start time of the game. The league and television host will always cater to the the bigger market (perfect example of the LA games in the World Series starting at 5pm local time to appease the east coast). This will always be the case so just expect it.

Show up to the game or don't. Simple as that. I'll be there despite the long drive back to College Station after it. Hope to see y'all there.
AG@RICE
AG
moneyag7 said:

I don't know why people on here are upset about the start time of the game. The league and television host will always cater to the the bigger market (perfect example of the LA games in the World Series starting at 5pm local time to appease the east coast). This will always be the case so just expect it.

Show up to the game or don't. Simple as that. I'll be there despite the long drive back to College Station after it. Hope to see y'all there.

It's an indication that the MLS does not have a good strategic plan. If you follow the mls franchise trend, you will realize that they will have like 40 teams by 2030. Their goal is to spread soccer throughout all cities in the US. They undermine that effort when they only cater to a few east/west coast teams. What is the point of getting more franchises if you don't have the vision to embrace all of them?

Also we don't always get screwed. When the rockets play the clippers or warriors at home, we start the game at 7 or 8 pm, not 9pm. When we played the dodgers we didn't start at 9pm, we started at 7pm.

If the teams don't push back against the league to maximize local interest then I'm not convinced this US soccer league will be spared the fate of its predessesors.
Texaggie7nine
I agree but I also see the massive difference in the attendance of Portland and Seattle compared to us.
7nine
Mustang1
AG
Game moved up to 8:30
Bryan98
AG
Mustang1 said:

It's not much, but I'll take it!

Despite the hideous lateness of the game on a work night, I plan to be there.
PJYoung
AG
Bought my tickets. See you guys there.

11 hour round trip. I hope they give us something to cheer for.
oh no
AG
i plan on driving down that night and grabbing something on FlashSeats on the way down.
fig96
AG
Bryan98 said:

Mustang1 said:

It's not much, but I'll take it!

Despite the hideous lateness of the game on a work night, I plan to be there.
Was debating going but have to be back at work in Austin at 9am Wednesday. I'll be screaming from my couch!
carl spacklers hat
Heard last night that all the Hondurans will be out for national team call-ups.
Texaggie7nine
Welp. It was a good run.
7nine
moneyag7
carl spacklers hat said:

They got called to be there for the qualifier game, but they will be back for the playoff game. They play Australia on the 10th and 15th and our playoff game isn't until the 21st.
oh no
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

the hondurans should be back -- they're just not resting during this Intl break like most of the other players are.. RIGHT? RIGHT?
moneyag7
Right. Panama allowed us to keep Machado since they're just playing friendlies this break.
Mustang1
AG
Match is Sold Out!
Bryan98
AG
Mustang1 said:

Match is Sold Out!

So adjusting for the usual distortions of the Dynamo front office, I'll expect BBVA to be maybe 2/3rds full.
Out in Left Field
AG
That's pretty optimistic.
bbry81
Coming to a dynamo game for the first time with my 9 year old son. Driving in from New Braunfels. What time should I plan on getting there and anything we should do before game around stadium
Texaggie7nine
I'd try to get there at least an hour before match time. They will have several things set up on Rusk near the stadium for fans to do.
7nine
bbry81
How much is it going to cost me to park near the stadium
oh no
AG
you can park for free or cheap if you want to walk a little bit, but you can also park very close for $15-20. Sometimes, especially if night game and kids are with me, I park in the garage underneath Discovery Green park.. just a few blocks away, about $15, but you can get out quick after the game. The close/good lots right in front of BBVA will be backed up trying to get out afterwards.
fig96
AG
I usually park a few blocks over either at the grocery store at St Emanuel and Hutchins or in the dirt lot between Dallas and Lamar, generally 10 bucks but might be a bit more for playoffs. Enjoy the game!
Bryan98
AG
I paid $10 and walked five or six blocks for the playoff game vs KC.

It's going to be cold by Houston standards, with a low of 58 (and feeling really cold inside the stadium, I imagine), so dress warm.

Personally, I wouldn't show up too terribly early - but if you do, you can check out the Dynamo store before the game starts for some gear.
jeffk
Bryan98
AG
IT'S GAME DAY!

IT'S GONNA BE COLD!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.