Arsenal 2016-2017 Thread

139,367 Views | 1832 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agdoc2001
OneBlitzer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stoke penalty given from collision involving Xhaka. Semi weak.
OneBlitzer
AG
Stoke up 1-0.
agdoc2001
AG
The lesson is as an attacker in the EPL, make no attempt on goal and throw yourself into the defender at every opportunity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OneBlitzer
AG
Bellerin low cross redirected by Walcott. 1-1
PJD Ag 10
AG
That is a great finish by Walcott.
gougler08
AG
Nice finish from Theo
OneBlitzer
AG
Ozil!! Wow!! Header over keeper off his line.
agdoc2001
AG
Nice chip from the Ox!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Even better goal
OneBlitzer
AG
Iwobi on for Ox. Nervy 20 minutes remaining
agdoc2001
AG
Worlds most coordinated footballer - Peter Crouch - on for Stoke
OneBlitzer
AG
Iwobi!!!!!! 3-1
OneBlitzer
AG
Good win! 3 points! Nice to have Bellerin back.
agdoc2001
AG
Good win, we still look shaky at the back and have been riding our luck a bit. Hopefully Mustafi makes a speedy recovery.
gougler08
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Good win, we still look shaky at the back and have been riding our luck a bit. Hopefully Mustafi makes a speedy recovery.

Hamstring injury so I fear that will be a few weeks. Gabriel had looked good at RB so hopefully he can be decent at CB in the interim
chjoak
AG
Jan window coming up quickly, what moves should we be looking to make?
agdoc2001
AG
Unless an incredibly special player becomes available or there is a long term injury we should be pinching pennies for Ozil and Alexis's new contracts.
wangus12
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Unless an incredibly special player becomes available or there is a long term injury we should be pinching pennies for Ozil and Alexis's new contracts.
Agreed. I think for the first time in a while, we have a pretty darn solid squad and depth to go with it.

Also, Walcott's goal reminds me of how Giroud usually finishes at the near post
agdoc2001
AG
Bayern. AYFKM?
OneBlitzer
AG
Bayern fn Munich. UGH.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Is anyone really surprised?
gougler08
AG
It would be sad if it wasn't so predictable at this point
PJD Ag 10
AG
Leicester gets the easiest group and then draws Sevilla.

Seems like Arsenal has drawn Bayern for then last 36 years.
byfLuger41
AG
Hey, be happy you're even in CL.

I can't help but laugh...
gougler08
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

I assumed we would get Real...at least Bayern are having some issues this year so there's maybe a 20% chance, I don't think we'd have a chance in hell against Real
wangus12
AG
Its just ridiculous at this point. Everyone knows the draw is set before they do the actual draw. Naturally, they don't want Barcelona to play Bayern this early because they want that as a semi-final or something. The fact is that PSG-Barcalona & Arsenal-Bayern were basically the 2 best fixtures they could squeeze out of this round so naturally thats what happened.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
gougler08 said:

Smith&Co1970 said:

I assumed we would get Real...at least Bayern are having some issues this year so there's maybe a 20% chance, I don't think we'd have a chance in hell against Real
To be honest, I'm not totally down on this matchup this year. Bayern's back line hasn't been stellar this year. I'm still not convinced Ancelotti is the right fit there. We can't completely **** the bed in the first match as we've done in the past, but if we put in two really solid performances I think our odds are better than the past few ties.
AustinScubaAg
AG
This has gotten to the point of absurdity.
Dre_00
Not to sound like a d*** here but I will never understand the hand wringing and whining of fans of a supposedly big club when they have to play another big (or bigger) club.

You're freaking Arsenal for god's sake. You may not be in the top tier status of clubs internationally but you aren't that far off. And the goal is to eventually be back in that top tier status of clubs, right? Well, if you want to be you're going to have to beat a team like Bayern at some point whether it comes in the Rof16 or in the semis. There is really no difference in playing them now or later unless you somehow think that beating Napoli in the Rof16 and then losing to Bayern elevates your status or is some sort of an accomplishment. (Newsflash: it isn't)

Games against teams like Bayern are blessings, not curses. Success in these games can instantly signal a new era for your club and become classics that live on in supporter's memories forever. That can not happen if you don't actually play these games. Fearing and complaining about these types of games is a loser mentality.
AustinScubaAg
AG
At some point we have to get over the hump and get out of the first knockout round again. Getting the worst possible draw year after year though adds to the psychological challenge. Especially for Aggie fans whose BAS is strong.

At some point the team needs to catch a break to get the confidence they can move on to the next round again. That does not mean it will be in the draw, but a friendly draw once in a while would be nice.
agdoc2001
AG
Dre_00 said:

Not to sound like a d*** here but I will never understand the hand wringing and whining of fans of a supposedly big club when they have to play another big (or bigger) club.

You're freaking Arsenal for god's sake. You may not be in the top tier status of clubs internationally but you aren't that far off. And the goal is to eventually be back in that top tier status of clubs, right? Well, if you want to be you're going to have to beat a team like Bayern at some point whether it comes in the Rof16 or in the semis. There is really no difference in playing them now or later unless you somehow think that beating Napoli in the Rof16 and then losing to Bayern elevates your status or is some sort of an accomplishment. (Newsflash: it isn't)

Games against teams like Bayern are blessings, not curses. Success in these games can instantly signal a new era for your club and become classics that live on in supporter's memories forever. That can not happen if you don't actually play these games. Fearing and complaining about these types of games is a loser mentality.
Dre,
If you take a peek at most of the previous posts the dismay is not that Bayern is a tremendously talented side or even that we are likely to go out in the 1st round of the knockout stages again. The Champions League nights are supposed to be special, even magical affairs. The luster is severely tarnished when you are matched up again and again with the same side every year. I'm nearly certain we've played them more times in the last 5 years than some teams in the Bundesliga. I think Real is a better team than Bayern, but I would rather have drawn them just for some variety.
OneBlitzer
AG
No whining by Gooners but a lower seed is preferred when in tourney play. Also, a change of scenery would be nice. Good example is a large majority of Ags wouldn't be pleased being placed in the Texas Bowl annually against Big xii opponent again and again.
byfLuger41
AG
You make a really good point.

wangus12
AG
I don't think anyone is really that upset or surprised. We all said last week that we knew we were going to get Bayern or Madrid. Naturally a lower seed is preferred just to get over the psychological block of the Rof16. It doesn't help that the winter fixtures in England are so crowded while every other league takes a break for some rest and recovery.
Dre_00
If you are upset at drawing Bayern because you are tired of playing the same team again then I guess that makes some sense...even if I don't fully understand it.

I don't buy psychological block theory. If Arsenal beat Napoli in the Rof16 and then played Bayern they wouldn't be any more likely to beat them. Any psychological block has to do with playing Bayern not when you play them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.