Arsenal 2016-2017 Thread

137,051 Views | 1832 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agdoc2001
Idk3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rumors are Alexis and Ozil gone in the summer because of AW's future. Today on twitter ther was someone who floated that the Juve coach was being looked at as AW's replacement. I am in camp that all talks should be with Diego Simeone as the replacement then everybody else. Pay da man his monies
wangus12
AG
Its not surprising. The club is going to lose a lot of the locker room when Wenger leaves.
byfLuger41
chjoak
AG
You hate to see top players leave but both are 28 and we aren't competitive enough right now. I honestly think that won't change under Wenger. If the board is insistent on not spending to keep up with the bigger clubs then we need a manager that can beat them with tactics and effort. Wenger is not the guy to do that. Alexis could fit into a squad like that because he is 100% effort all of the time but I question whether he would be good for the locker room when things aren't going right. He seems to pout alot and I don't see that being a positive for the team. Ozil, while very good, can't seem to keep it up for more than 60 min and tends to crater in the last half of the season. There is rumor that is why Madrid was willing to sell. If you bring in a manager that also evaluates talent well (and quicker than AW) then I think you could quickly put together a competitive club with our current roster plus players you buy with the Alexis/Ozil funds.

Allegri (Juventus) has been rumored to us for a couple months now. He is likely one of the better options that is attainable. He fits the culture and has the tactical abilities that AW lacks. He also is incredibly flexible in that he can and has run many formations. That likely lends itself to a smooth transition.

I've not seen Simeone rumored and don't think we will. He signed a new contract last summer and I think the buyout to get him will be too great.

Others I have seen rumored...

Sampaoli - Currently has Sevilla in 3rd place. Excellent tactician. May not be best cultural fit. Runs a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3. Either could be an interesting change of pace but will require some roster adjustments. As former Chile coach, he likely convinces Alexis to stay. Ozil likely doesn't fit his style (preaches hardcore D with wide open fast attack). Has 1 yr left on his contract at Sevilla but buyout is very low and contract extension talks have stalled.
Jardim - Currently has Monaco in 1st place. Excellent tactician and would be a good cultural fit. Prefers a 4-3-3 with a flat 3 mid (1 DM and 2 CM) which should fit our current roster well and could quickly be competitve with the right additions.
Tuchel - Had an excellent 1st season at Dortmund and has tailed off since. Not sure he would be a good option right now.
Howe - Has done a good job at Bournmouth but I think he is too young and too inexperienced to take over at Arsenal.
Hasenhuttl - Has done an excellent job with Leipzig. Is the definition of the type of coach we should be looking for (tactics mixed with motivation) but you have to wonder if this is a Leicester-esque flash in the pan season.
Gigem Trevas
Question for y'all. Are y'all going to be ok with a new manager that may not play the Arsenal style that the players and fans are accustomed to.
chjoak
AG
If you aren't winning what does style of play matter? Some may be upset but if a new manager starts winning the big games I think everyone will get on board.
wangus12
AG
Yep. Granted it helps that I saw Graham as the manager. Would love his defense back. 1-nil to the Arsenal. That's why they were so good in the late 90's and early 2000's. Most of the defensive core of Adams, Bould, Dixon, Winterburn, Seaman were there through the early stages. Added Campbell, Cole, Toure. Those guys with the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg, Wright, Anelka, and Wiltord up top made for a deadly combination.

I'd love to get Simeone or Sampaoli. Those are probably my top two.
chjoak
AG
My realistic shortlist right now is...

Sampaoli - Would bring us the tactics and defense we need. Would require more radical changes to the roster but I think he could be great for us.
Allegri - Like his flexibility. Like that he caters his formation to the personnel, situations, etc... Not quite as D focused as others but much more than Wenger
Jardim - He is a hot name right now and doing exceptionally well in France with a roster that shouldn't be in 1st place. Probably the least D focused of the group but could likely hit the ground running quite easily with our current roster.

Others...

Simeone - He is interesting but I don't see us being able to get him right now or see him wanting to leave Spain.
Koeman - He interests me as well but he just arrived at Everton after only 1 yr at Southampton and if rumors are to be believed. he has his eyes on Barca. He may not get it now but I would hate to hire him only to have him jump ship in a couple years if/when Barca becomes available again.
Rest of the rumored field - All either too inexperienced or not impressive enough for my liking.
chjoak
AG
Luis Enrique stepping down at Barca. Rumors swirling that Sampaoli, Wenger, Koeman and Allegri may be the top candidates.

Reading up on Enrique, I can't help but wonder if he would be a good candidate to replace AW? Maybe not the best candidate but he could be a good one.
wangus12
AG

No Ozil. Alexis on the bench. Would rather Lucas start over Iwobi based on form
AustinScubaAg
AG
Well I guess the line up is pretty indicitive of the situation with players.
OneBlitzer
AG
Damn. Ugly goal.
byfLuger41
AG
Damn. Beautiful goal.
datrixstunna
AG
Do yall know what a defense is?
CoolAggie
AG
Complete and utter ****. Yeah go ahead and keep Alexis and Lucas on the bench. Son of a ****.
OneBlitzer
AG
Disappointing half. Down two goals with no promise shown offensively.
datrixstunna
AG
WengerIN or WengerOUT?
gougler08
AG
Why in the world would we not start Alexis?
Gigem Trevas
gougler08 said:

Must be something to do with the contract dispute.
wangus12
AG
Makes no sense. If your trying to teach him a lesson about something, there is no point because he is gone in the summer
datrixstunna
AG
gougler08 said:

He is just preparing fans for life without him for next season.
OneBlitzer
AG
Nice finish Welbeck.
datrixstunna
AG
What a finish by Welbz..
OneBlitzer
AG
Love Bellerin but his last touch into the box is usually lacking.
gougler08
AG
No yellow for Can? **** off ref
byfLuger41
AG
Does Xhaka ever go a game without getting carded?
Gigem Trevas
Ref blows it not sending Can off.
OneBlitzer
AG
Overact to solicit sympathy from ref in order to avoid second yellow. Well done Can.
OneBlitzer
AG
Painful defeat!
Smokedraw01
Hot garbage.
agdoc2001
AG
Kroenke is a cancer that poisons everything his family touches. Prepare yourselves for a loooooong period of irrelevance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Like I said. We really need Usmanov to buy Kroenke out.
gougler08
AG
We are such ass
chjoak
AG
Bunch of journos started running with a rumor late yesterday that Allegri has agreed to join us next season. Blowing up this morning.
agdoc2001
AG
Would be a great hire. Wenger' contract offer hasn't been rescinded however, and he could be here 2 more years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.