Arsenal 2016-2017 Thread

137,070 Views | 1832 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agdoc2001
Gigem Trevas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wangus12 said:

My bad. Guess it would just matter if an English team outside the Top 4 won the CL, in which case the 4th spot would go to the CL winner. Or has that rule simply changed completely.

Too many technicalities for a highly unlikely situation.
wangus12
AG
I mean it happened like 5 years ago.
Gigem Trevas
wangus12 said:

I mean it happened like 5 years ago.

Since they changed the rule to allow the EL to go to UCL it changed again.
wangus12
AG
Gotcha
Gigem Trevas
wangus12 said:

My bad. Guess it would just matter if an English team outside the Top 4 won the CL, in which case the 4th spot would go to the CL winner. Or has that rule simply changed completely.

Actually you were half correct. There is a total of 5 spots assuming a team from England won Europa and another team won the UCL the top 2/3 + those 2 teams would qualify. Depending where in the table they were would depend if there would be 4 or 5 allocations in the tournament. This article summarizes it better than I can and was posted just a few days ago on this exact question. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3097329/how-many-english-teams-play-champions-league-fourth-place-premier-league-team-miss-out/
chjoak
AG
I rewatched the last few games and as a whole I think we look much better with the new formation. We still have issues passing 1-2 touches too many in the final 3rd but guys that were struggling before look much better now. If we can add a new starting CB, LWB and ST this summer plus some quality CM depth and/or a starter there we could be in exceptional shape next season.

--------------------- New ST ---------------------
---------- Alexis ------------------ Ozil ----------
New LWB --- Xhaka -- Ramsey --- Bellerin
----------- Kos --- New CB --- Mustafi -------
---------------------- Cech ------------------------

Could also consider a new starter for Ramsey as well but he and Xhaka have looked good together lately so I think you could save a little and just add CM depth.
Could also move Alexis to ST and get a new CAM/LF if you have trouble finding a proper ST.

As far as exits, I would...

Sell Ospina, Jenks, Debuchy, Walcott, Lucas and Coq
Woj I would either let him compete with Cech or use him as leverage to get a solid roster player
Consider selling Jack, Ox (if they don't want to resign), Giroud, Gabby and Elneny
chjoak
AG
Assuming we keep our key guys and some of the latest rumors have any truth to them, how would you feel about starting next season with the following lineup?

------------------------ Morata ------------------------
---------- Alexis --------------------- Ozil ----------
Kolasinac --- Xhaka -- Ramsey --- Bellerin
------------ Kos --- Boateng --- Mustafi --------
------------------------ Cech ---------------------------

backup 11 (barring any depth signings) would be...

----------------- Welbeck/OG ------------
---------- Iwobi -------------- Lucas ------
Gibbs ----- Coq --- Wilshire ----- Ox
------ Nacho -- Gabby -- Holding ----
------------------ Martinez -----------------
Gigem Trevas
chjoak said:

Assuming we keep our key guys and some of the latest rumors have any truth to them, how would you feel about starting next season with the following lineup?

Morata won't happen. Alexis is likely gone. Ramsey gone. Not boateng from Bayern shurely? Giroud gone. Gibbs coq and Wilshire gone.
chjoak
AG
Gigem Trevas said:

chjoak said:

Morata won't happen. Alexis is likely gone. Ramsey gone. Not boateng from Bayern shurely? Giroud gone. Gibbs coq and Wilshire gone.
Morata wants to leave RM due to lack of PT and we are one of a short list of suitors and possibly the only one that is high profile enough and can damn near guarantee him PT.

What I have been hearing is that Alexis is leaning towards staying as long as we make efforts to improve the squad this summer.

Why do you think Ramsey is gone?

Boateng is rumored to want out at Bayern due to the glut of CB on the roster and Sule joining the mix this summer. He has had trouble getting PT after coming back from injury and has only played 19 matches this season total. We are said to be one of 2 clubs currently expressing interest.

If Gibbs leaves, slide Nacho over and keep Chambers around for CB

AW is trying to re-sign Wilshire. If he and Coq do leave they can be replaced with younger options.
wangus12
AG
I like this back 3. Not sure why Ramsey got benched other than tired legs. He's been playing really well the last few games

Jason_Ag98
AG
Gorgeous goal by Ozil with the assist from Alexis!
OneBlitzer
AG
Nicely done Alexis!
OneBlitzer
AG
3 Points! Missed most the game except for one goal while passing thru airport. Good result.
gougler08
AG
Two wins in a row at places we've normally struggled. I'll definitely take it! Now just need Pool to slip up
wangus12
AG
Resign him

jeffk
AG
gougler08 said:

Two wins in a row at places we've normally struggled. I'll definitely take it! Now just need Pool to slip up
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

gougler08 said:

A 4-0 win wasn't exactly what I had in mind
jeffk
PJYoung
AG
So you're probably asking - how far-fetched will the results need to be to send the 2016-17 Premier League season into an unlikely 39th round?
Well it's far from impossible and here are the exact results needed, over the last six days, to send us into a three-way play-off for the third (automatic) and fourth (qualifying) UCL spots:

Liverpool (Third, PTS 73, GD 33, GF 75)
Liverpool 0-1 Middlesbrough

Manchester City (Fourth, PTS 72, GD 34, GF 72)
Manchester City 2-2 West Bromwich Albion
Watford 3-1 Manchester City

Arsenal (Fifth, PTS 69, GD 29, GF 72)
Arsenal 3-0 Sunderland
Arsenal 0-0 Everton

If all these results eventuate, all three sides would finish on 73 points, with a goal difference of 32 and goals for of 75, with a three-way play-off for third and fourth place respectively to take place, at a neutral venue.

http://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/
jeffk
AG
If that happens, go ahead and pencil in LFC for the 5th spot.
byfLuger41
AG
Your focus should be on that FA Cup Final.
chjoak
AG
News circulating that the Kolasinac deal is final and he will join 7/1.

Also hearing that AW is looking to add additional starters/depth at CB, ST, GK & W (Alexis & Ozil spot).
PJYoung
AG
Frustrating game to watch. Outshot them 20-2 so far.
PJYoung
AG
Xhaka to Ozil to Sanchez. Beauty.
wangus12
AG
Glad Cattermole's ass is going put of the top tier
wangus12
AG
Love that Sanchez can play like **** the entire game and still is in the right spot to score twice
PJYoung
AG
This keeper has been incredible. 23 years old.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Nice to get a win, but looks like it'll be for nothing. There's no way in hell Liverpool doesn't get the win against Boro.
PJYoung
AG
But we only need a tie.
Wrec86 Ag
When does the 2017/2018 schedule get released?

I may be in London in October and want to make sure I get to see a game.

wangus12
AG
Usually in the middle of June
Mathguy64
AG
Not that it would have mattered in the end outcome but the ref totally screwed up the IFK the Sunderland had down close.

The infraction was handling by Cech on a pass back and it happened inside his own goal area. The ball is to be spotted at the nearest point at the top edge of the goal area. He placed it on the side of the goal area almost on the goal line next to where Cech handled it. Error #1. Because that point is well inside a traditional 10 yd exclusion zone for defenders you can allow defenders to set up on the goal line inside the goal itseft. That places them no farther than 6 yds away at their closest point, but only on the goal line itself. Everyone else not on the goal line must still respect 10 yds. He allowed the entire Arsenal wall to set up perpendicular to the goal line 6 yds away and then had a mass of other defenders between 6 and 10 yds away. Error #2 and #3.

That's as bad a screw up as a professional ref can have. He was already regarded as the worst EPL ref. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last match he every works at that level.
wangus12
AG
Agreed. That was a total clusterf*ck. It was amateur hour (and always is) with Roger East
agdoc2001
AG
Usmanov just bid 1.3 billion for majority share of the club.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CoolAggie
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Usmanov just bid 1.3 billion for majority share of the club.

Please dear Baby Jesus let this happen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.