Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Fat Man to Fit Man Thread (diary)

116,729 Views | 647 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Mr Mojo Risin
Goodbull_19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't be afraid to go HUGE on your salad portions. Several handfuls of mixed greens with onion, bell pepper, tomato, 1/2 avocado, 2 Tbs olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 2 fried eggs, goat cheese and salmon. So delicious and I promise you won't be hungry for a snack and I have found it's basically impossible to put on weight eating like that.
AgBQ-00
AG
That sounds delicious!
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: Eggs fruit and coffee
Morning Snack: Banana, turkey sticks, cheddar
Lunch: Leftover Italian chicken stew
Afternoon snack: Fahyay (phonetic ) 0% greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and strawberries
Dinner: pan seared Moroccan spice pork chop, baby spring mix with Greek vinegarette, fresh corn
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: einstein everything bagel with onion and chive schmear. (The bagel breakfast is mine and my wife's Friday tradition. Been doing it about 4 years now)
Lunch: left over pork chop salad and corn
Dinner: 2 slices pepperoni pizza
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: eggs and sausage taco
Lunch: grilled chicken sandwich and fruit
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: Denver omlette sourdough toast coffee
AgBQ-00
AG
Monday check in. Weight 273.4
My goal is adding activity this week and maintaining better eating.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs sausage and fruit.
Snack: cashews
Lunch: ham sandwich on multigrain bread with mustard and Muenster. Dill pickles.
Dinner salmon rice and salad
Goodbull_19
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Monday check in. Weight 273.4
My goal is adding activity this week and maintaining better eating.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs sausage and fruit.
Snack: cashews
Lunch: ham sandwich on multigrain bread with mustard and Muenster. Dill pickles.

I highly recommend checking out this short, 8-minute video.

https://peterattiamd.com/fasting-protocol-video/

To me, it seems like you are only really pulling one 'lever' the 'caloric restriction' lever... Basically you are just trying to eat 'less' and staying away from some of the worst foods.

Which, per my experience and is clearly the experience of millions who try to lose weight, again and again, year after year... is basically impossible. It is much easier to change 'what' you eat and 'when' you eat, rather than 'how much' you eat...

YMMV but understanding this principle is what allowed me to finally lose weight after years of unsuccessfully dieting.
ATM9000
AG
Like most adults, I've fluctuated up and down... mostly in a 30 pound range between 195 and 225 lbs most of my adult life lightest getting to 185 and heaviest about 235... I'm 6-3. I'm on the downward trend again... I think you are coming here almost for feedback so I'll lay it out there for you: don't know a lot of people including me who have maintained or reached a healthy weight eating eggs and breakfast pork 6 days a week.

3 things always work for me:

1. Up the fiber big time. It makes you feel fuller for longer and is easy to maintain. Veggies fruits etc won't kill you and you will grow to enjoy them. If you just eat less calories, at least for me, the minute you hit some stress in your life, you will flush all your progress down the toilet.

2. I like the 8:1 ratio. What that is is I try to eat 8 really clean meals for every 1 'anything goes' sort of meal. You don't starve yourself and can still enjoy food.

3. Limit eating out. I currently don't live in the US and the country I'm in was on lockdown this winter so one day I took on a little mini project in Excel. Wife and I have both tracked weekly weight on an app for the last 10 years. We plotted that and pulled credit card statements with how much we've spent eating out (inflation adjusted because I'm a dork). It was astounding how much weight gain came happened as out to eat spending rose and how it tended to maintain at levels of eating out expenditures then how fast it would drop as that expenditure dropped.

Anyhow, that's some of my own personal findings and observations. Best of luck.
AgBQ-00
AG
Appreciate the insights. The reasoning behind my breakfasts the way they are is it keeps me full. I've tried veggie centric breakfast and fruit centric and I'm always hungry a couple of hours later. I dont want to start my day on carbs so cereal is out most days. But that is my thinking and what helps me have a productive morning.
Like I said in the OP I am following Weight Watchers for my food/dietary guidance. I am enjoying that. It has brought me through 2 birthday meals that I normally would have eaten until I was miserable. I didn't deprive myself but made better choices and still enjoyed family time and maintained my growth towards being more healthy.
I am still just getting started. I am not trying to rush I want this to be sustainable for me. That is why I have not gone nuts on calorie restriction or cut out entire food groups.

Progress I've made to date: I've gone from eating out 8-10 times a week to eating out 2-4 meals.
I've gone from eating pizza at least once a week to it being something I have at a family get together.
I've gone from basically no fruits and veggies to having fruit a lot for snacks and having salad with meals regularly.
I've gone from eating handfuls of candy during the day to cutting as much added sugar as possible. This is a huge one for me.
I've gone from having 4-5 scotches a week to that being for celebrations like birthdays or holidays.
My body is already feeling better. I've been happier and more focused since changing what I have. And I will continue to make changes and adapt throughout.
My main focus is moderation and proper times for indulgences and enjoying the journey and changes I am making.
I do appreciate the thoughts and support. I hope you all will celebrate progress with me.
AgBQ-00
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: 2 eggs bacon and coffee
Lunch: Cobb salad with grilled chicken

Slept really well last night. Was able to fall asleep quickly and didn't wake during the night. Hoping this continues.

Activity: 20 min spin
Hehateme1
Good job my friend. I'm rooting for you. Small changes repeated daily over time yield big results.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks!
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: oatmeal with blueberries
Lunch: Ham sandwich with multigrain bread.
Dinner: cast iron flank steak with peppers shallots and Mexican seasoning.

Snacks: Turkey sticks
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: eggs and ham
Lunch: Left over flank steak and rice
Dinner: pan cooked jerk chicken and mango salsa.
AndesAg92
AG
ATM9000 said:

Like most adults, I've fluctuated up and down... mostly in a 30 pound range between 195 and 225 lbs most of my adult life lightest getting to 185 and heaviest about 235... I'm 6-3. I'm on the downward trend again... I think you are coming here almost for feedback so I'll lay it out there for you: don't know a lot of people including me who have maintained or reached a healthy weight eating eggs and breakfast pork 6 days a week.

1. Up the fiber big time. It makes you feel fuller for longer and is easy to maintain. Veggies fruits etc won't kill you and you will grow to enjoy them. If you just eat less calories, at least for me, the minute you hit some stress in your life, you will flush all your progress down the toilet.

2. I like the 8:1 ratio. What that is is I try to eat 8 really clean meals for every 1 'anything goes' sort of meal. You don't starve yourself and can still enjoy food.

3. Limit eating out. I currently don't live in the US and the country I'm in was on lockdown this winter so one day I took on a little mini project in Excel. Wife and I have both tracked weekly weight on an app for the last 10 years. We plotted that and pulled credit card statements with how much we've spent eating out (inflation adjusted because I'm a dork). It was astounding how much weight gain came happened as out to eat spending rose and how it tended to maintain at levels of eating out expenditures then how fast it would drop as that expenditure dropped.

This is really cool. But damn you and your wife are disciplined. Keeping up with weight for 10 years! I can't see us making it a week.
ATM9000
AG
AndesAg92 said:

ATM9000 said:

This is really cool. But damn you and your wife are disciplined. Keeping up with weight for 10 years! I can't see us making it a week.

It was the scale we had. Anyhow, notice the weight... 'disciplined' is a word we all strive for in this space but I can't claim it over the decade though I never let it get too out of control I guess.
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: bagel friday...everything and onion and chive schmear
Lunch: leftover jerk chicken and rice
Dinner: sashimi dinner and half samurai roll
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: ham, pepper, onion and cheese omlete
Lunch: shrimp and rice
Goodbull_19
AG
Are you feeling satiated by your current diet? Are you starting to feel hungry or not satisfied after meals? Signs to watch out for IMO.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks. I am trying to be mindful of all my hunger signals. My meals are really filling. I find I get more hunger signs when I am mindlessly watching a game or just reading online. Sweets is my biggest challenge because I ate a ton of them. Right now I don't allow myself any because I'm trying to break that craving. It helps having a banana or a sweet fruit.
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: great harvest bread company breakfast sandwich on Dakota bread. Delicious! Coffee
Snack: glass of orange juice
Dinner: lemon herb cod. Spring salad with Italian vinegarette
Goodbull_19
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Thanks. I am trying to be mindful of all my hunger signals. My meals are really filling. I find I get more hunger signs when I am mindlessly watching a game or just reading online. Sweets is my biggest challenge because I ate a ton of them. Right now I don't allow myself any because I'm trying to break that craving. It helps having a banana or a sweet fruit.

Awesome!
AgBQ-00
AG
Weekly check in: 272
Breakfast bacon eggs coffee
Lunch: ham sandwich and olives
Dinner: BBQ chicken and green beans with spring salad with Italian dressing

Snacks: banana strawberries mixed nuts
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast Egg and sausage scramble coffee
Lunch: Leftover bbq chicken thigh, salad with italian vinegarette and green beans.
Dinner chicken noodle soup

Snacks: Gala apple, latte, hard boiled egg
Goodbull_19
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Breakfast Egg and sausage scramble coffee

Ever thought of sauting a handful of spinach in that?
AgBQ-00
AG
I do from time to time incorporate onions and peppers etc. Never done spinach in one. Will have to give it a try.
aggielax48
AG
Are you tracking your calorie intake? I doubt we're getting a full picture of everything your consuming in a day, but my concern is I'm not sure you're eating enough for 270 lbs. You're maintenance calories have to be somewhere north of 2600 assuming a very sedentary lifestyle. I don't think I'd go under 2000 calories a day. Too much reduction will leave you in a tough spot. As your body adjusts to the new normal, if you go too low at first, there won't be the ability to lower your calories and increasing activity will probably have diminishing returns with the low caloric intake.

Looking at yesterday...
Breakfast - assume 3 scrambled eggs ~250 + bacon 150 = 400 w/27 g protein
Lunch - ham sandwich 350? 15 g/protein
Dinner - 250 + 50 + 100 = 400 w/40 g/protein
Snacks - 250? hard to say, the mixed nuts can be dangerous

I could be way off here, but seems like 1,500 calories or so with less than 100 g protein. I'd go up to 2,000 calories with more protein. Ditch the nuts, go with a more volume snack.

Like I said, could be way off but just my opinion. Hope that helps.
AgBQ-00
AG
Not counting calories. Strictly using the points system on weight watchers. On my portions I am eating until full. I am trying to slow down how fast I eat. Because I want to know I'm full before I feel stuffed. My normal portion for my protein in meals, especially fish is 6-8 oz. I do 2 or 3 handfuls of salad when I have a salad and normally 1-2 tbs of dressing. And a serving spoon size or two of whatever the side my be i.e green beans, corn, etc. My breakfasts are typically 2 eggs and 1-2 oz of sausage or 2 slices of bacon. On the weekends the scramble or omlette is typically 2-3 egg size portion with the added veggies and meat. Snacks I try to eat a lot of "free" foods like a handful of grapes or an apple, banana, carrots or veggies. When I have yogurt snacks with fruit it is a whole cup size container of greek yogurt with a handful of blueberries and some strawberries. The nuts is typically a handful of mixed nuts or a small package of cashews. I eat a lot of pickles and olives I normally don't record those because they are free or basically free on the plan.

I think what throws people is they are envisioning meager portions when I short hand my food diary. My meals are full 10 inch dinner plate portions. Salad normally covers half to 3/4ths the plate, side ~1/4th and protein the rest. The only time I have a sandwich is when we don't have leftovers from the night before or we are eating quickly to run and do something.

The only days I find that I have trouble staying in the healthy range on WW app is Sunday. I am normally busy doing something and forget to eat lunch. So I normally fall below the recommended points target on those days.

My main issue right now is getting more active. Have not been successful in doing that. Only thing I am frustrated with right now.
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: 2 eggs 2 bacon coffee
Lunch: Chicken tenderloins and salad with greek vinegarette.
Dinner: home made hamburger with 96% lean ground beef
Snacks: banana, apple, mixed nuts, boiled egg
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast Egg, sausage and salsa scramble. Coffee
Lunch: Leftover Hamburger
Dinner# chicken breast, salad, Italian dressing and corn
Snacks: Banana, grapes, nuts, beef stick
AgBQ-00
AG
Weighed in this morning because of the two mothers day meals coming this weekend. 270
Breakfast: einstein everything bagel. Half of the shmear and egg put on it.
Lunch chick Fila Cobb salad with grilled chicken
Dinner Chipotle bowl. Steak veggies rice black beans tomatillo salsa
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast: half breakfast sandwich. Having hibachi lunch with inlaws for mpthers day today.
AgBQ-00
AG
Breakfast chicken avocado Chipotle wrap from Panerai. Moms day lunch #2 coming later
Lunch: small portion of chicken fried steak. Green beans and mashed potatoes. Unsweet tea

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.