Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Fat Man to Fit Man Thread (diary)

116,691 Views | 647 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Mr Mojo Risin
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
233 this week
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Gilligan
AG
208 this morning.

Even though the weight loss has slowed considerably, the recent purchases of shorts / pants six sizes smaller are getting baggy now. I'm punching holes in my belts.

Micro victories
Tailgate88
AG
Y'all need to quit lamenting the slow and steady weight loss. That is the healthiest way to do it and gives you the best chance and keeping it off for good.

Keep it up, gentlemen! Bravo!
Gilligan
AG
204.2 w/o going to the bathroom.
AgBQ-00
AG
Steady this week 233
AgBQ-00
AG
Holiday weekend got me. 236 this week
ABATTBQ87
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Y'all need to quit lamenting the slow and steady weight loss. That is the healthiest way to do it and gives you the best chance and keeping it off for good.

Keep it up, gentlemen! Bravo!
Amen to that!

On June 1, 2020, I weighed 285, and today I weigh 215, a loss of 70 pounds over 104 weeks.

Could I have lost weight faster? maybe

Have I changed my eating habits to continue to lose 1 pound a week now? absolutely

I'm happy to be at this place and I plan on holding steady at the 210-215 weight for the long run

Gilligan
AG
Back down to 205 this morning.

Got all the way back up to 212.

The roller coaster continues...
AgBQ-00
AG
back down to 233 this week.
AgBQ-00
AG
Back on schedule after cruise vacation. Will weigh later in the week.
AgBQ-00
AG
Weighed 240 this morning.
ABATTBQ87
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Weighed 240 this morning.
its been a few weeks since you've updated us on your progress
AgBQ-00
AG
243 this morning.
Got back from vacation and got sick the week after. finally got back on my intermittent fasting schedule this week and getting my meals back in line.
AgBQ-00
AG
240. starting the build up to start running/jogging again.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Keep it up!

Just wanted to brag on myself a bit because it feels easier to do semi-anonymously on here compared to Facebook or Instagram.

I've been on a weight loss journey, as well. Let myself go during residency and my first couple years as an attending. Tried a few different things halfheartedly, never really focusing on diet intently. I finally decided at the end of January '22 to get serious. At that time I was 33 yrs old, 5'11 280lbs.

Being an ER doctor that worked primarily nights, after getting off shift I was usually too tired to make meals and the only things open were fast food, so I set strict rules to give up all fast food. I have always basically ate one meal per day with the occasional snack since college, but those one meals had slowly turned into big ass meals. I also gave up anything fried as well as gave up sandwiches. I also focused on maintaining a sizeable caloric deficit with a goal ranging between a 1000-2000 kcal daily caloric deficit. For the first month, I also focused on just eating different types of salads to figure out which ones I enjoyed the most so I could stick with them. I settled on Greek salads which I love. From that point on my diet has mostly consisted of homemade Greek Salads (romaine lettuce, feta, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, red onions, and Greek dressing) along with protein shakes, grilled salmon, grilled chicken, and hard boiled eggs.

I stuck with the diet for a month before incorporating an exercise routine to prove I could stay with the diet first. I dropped 20 lbs that first month. Started lifting daily at the end of February. Added in daily 2 mile walks that same month. Dropped another 20 lbs the second month. The third month I started running, slowly building up to running a mile without stopping along with the 2 mile walks. Also bought a power rack, started incorporating deadlifts and squats into my lifting routine. Dropped another 15 lbs the third month. The fourth month I continued progressing my running distance and pace, finally got back down to an 8 minute mile which I hadn't done since college. Dropped another 15 lbs the 4th month. Dropped 0 lbs the fifth month due to taking two weeks off to rehab a wrist and elbow injury (increased weight too quickly on my lifts) and also for vacation. Sixth month I'm down another 10lbs.

In total now down 80 lbs in 6 months. I'm at 200 lbs as of today, able to run 3 miles without taking a break at a 8.5 minute pace for the first time since high school. I'm now typically running 2-3 miles daily. Im also still lifting daily. Still weak on squats and dead's, but trying to slowly increase weight by ensuring my form stays right, so still repping 255 on squats 10 reps x3, and 285 dead's 8 reps x 3. Not sure what the body fat percentage is right now, but eyeballing charts online, probably somewhere around 16-17%. I plan to likely drop another 10-15 lbs and then focus on increasing daily caloric intake to maintain that weight.

I still pig out and drink alcohol when I go out with friends because I don't want to give up enjoying myself when I'm out rather than stressing about calories, but I am very strict with the diet when not out with friends. Amazingly I haven't become tired of Greek Salads yet. I had no idea how delicious Kalamata olives were.

I went for more drastic changes and obviously that's not going to be for everyone, but the things I have found that helped me were finding a food I really liked that was relatively healthy, filling, and delicious, and just spamming that almost daily, while keeping a strict tally of all the calories consumed and burned, while progressively increasing cardio intensity and resistance during weight training.

I don't buy into IMF (despite basically doing that), I simply eat when I'm really hungry (not just kinda hungry). Nevertheless, I've always found it odd that people are so steadfast on eating 3 meals a day when that was certainly not how we evolved, and is likely a major contributor to why us Americans are so fat (although I got myself fat eating once a day). I also don't buy into specific macronutrient percentages as there is not a lot of high quality literature to support any specific ratio. I simply just ensure I'm consuming the appropriate amount of protein for my weight. Ultimately, the only thing with diets that is universally true, is that if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight, so it just didn't make sense for me to really focus on anything other than "calories in, calories out."

Sorry for the long post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
Congrats, man! That is an inspiring story and you definitely have more discipline than most. I'm confused by this though:

Quote:

I don't buy into IMF (despite basically doing that), I simply eat when I'm really hungry (not just kinda hungry).
Because it sounds to me like you are definitely practicing IMF if you're eating one meal a day.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Yeah, definitely acknowledge I'm basically doing that, but based on the most recent randomized trial on it, didn't seem to demonstrate any improvement over regular dieting.

I think it's great at breaking up the dogma that you HAVE to have 3 meals a day which I think makes it easier to focus on exactly how many calories you are actually consuming when you aren't having to calculate the calories on 3 different meals each day, but I don't think there is much advantage to it outside of that. One meal a day was something I had been doing since college and it just made sense to continue with it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
permabull
AG
I would agree imf isn't much better than any other calorie restriction diet in results, but for a lot of people it's easier to stick with imf. In a clinical trial where they can control the food people have no trouble sticking to a calorie reduction diet, but once they are in their own, we know over 90% of the time they don't stick to it. It's much easier (for a lot of people) to simply only eat in a small time window than it is to track every single calorie you eat.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I wish I had the metabolism of a 33-year-old!!!!
bagger05
AG
I like intermittent fasting. I prefer meals that leave me feeling full. I'd rather eat one really big meal than three small meals (and DEFINITELY prefer that to eating five or six meals a day like what used to be in fashion - I did that for a spell and what a pain in the ass).

It's 4:00 and I've had about 300 calories so far today and I'm fine. My trainer has convinced me to do one scoop of protein powder after my workout so I did that. Also ate a bar that was about 200 calories - I am car shopping today so didn't want to risk being super hungry. Probably would've been fine without it.
True Anomaly
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Yeah, definitely acknowledge I'm basically doing that, but based on the most recent randomized trial on it, didn't seem to demonstrate any improvement over regular dieting.

I think it's great at breaking up the dogma that you HAVE to have 3 meals a day which I think makes it easier to focus on exactly how many calories you are actually consuming when you aren't having to calculate the calories on 3 different meals each day, but I don't think there is much advantage to it outside of that. One meal a day was something I had been doing since college and it just made sense to continue with it.
THIS IS THE KEY

Trying to force the traditional idea of "breakfast-lunch-dinner" into lifestyles that just don't operate that way leads to a TON of us thinking we're somehow not eating "right". Why try to shove the traditional model of nutrition into a nontraditional lifestyle?
AgBQ-00
AG
held steady this week. 240
AgBQ-00
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
No weight this week. Wife was cleaning the bathroom and dropped the scale and broke it.
wbt5845
AG
I don't check in often, but sounds like you're making great progress. Slow and steady wins the race.
ABATTBQ87
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

No weight this week. Wife was cleaning the bathroom and dropped the scale and broke it.

Go down to the local vet and use their scale
Buzzy
ABATTBQ87 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Go down to the local vet and use their scale

I'm going to hell for laughing at that
Wild West Pimp Style
AgBQ-00
AG
Ok...no vet visit for me. Weight today on the new scale is 241. Going to track meticulously to try and get off this pattern ive been on since vacation.
Tailgate88
AG
I'd recommend tracking food and weighing daily.
agdaddy04
AG
Weighing in daily is what's got me going in the right direction. Counting calories is something I've stopped and the weight is coming off faster. Down 25 lbs in 6 weeks now. Most days I'll drink 30-40 ounces of water, then go to black coffee for a bit before returning to water. Lunch at 11 then apple and nuts/jerky at 2-3. Eat dinner at 7. Lunch is Ezekiel bread, avocado, turkey. Dinner is based on fit father project "perfect plate". So thank you to whoever recommended that on this thread. 1/2 plate is veggies, 1/4 carb , 1/4 protein. Working out 3 days per week using a metabolic strength routine.
Oh and bought a renpho scale off Amazon for $20 when they were on sale. It's been great and easy to use.
AgBQ-00
AG
Maintained this week. I didn't change how I'd been eating to get a good idea of what I could have been doing. Looks like I may be having too much dairy. Will adjust that and see if that is the issue
agdaddy04
AG
SW on 6/20 - 302.8
CW - 271.8

That's with a slip up during work travel two weeks ago. Had another work trip this week and it would've been easy to drink with everyone else, but stuck to club soda with lime and stayed as close to plan as possible with the food. Got in a good MRT workout as well. Lost 2 lbs in the three day trip.
AgBQ-00
AG
I think it was the dairy.

Down to 235 this week.
sts7049
AG
great job OP.

i wanted to comment on the fasting. i started doing it during the pandemic and i made some great progress in the first 8 months or so. the problem for me was that i wasn't watching closely enough how much i was eating during the eating window. and, i wasn't eating well enough either. so i would get into a mode of feeling like i needed to eat a bunch to get through the next fasting window.

if you feel like you are plateauing a bit, just don't lose sight of the importance of still tracking closely what you take in. and you have to make sure you are eating enough of the right foods during the eating window to hold you over.

even though i've gone in the wrong direction, i still use the fasting windows just about every day. it still gives me some structure and forces some self control. i've gotten way used to not having breakfast anymore.

edit - i also use the fasting tracker app to keep track of times. works great for me.
Tailgate88
AG
This is the way!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.