Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2018 CrossFit Open

24,743 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ttt

Only one week left.
UpstateAg
AG
I did 17.1 after working on my clean complexes last weekend and beat the time cap. I'm as ready as I'll be this year. Excited for my first open (only been doing this 6 months)!
YourFavAggie
AG
What do yall do for workouts inbetween Open WODS? Last year I went and did daily WODs as normal, and I feel like it slowed me down in the Open. Trying to put my plan together for this year.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm not changing anything. I will work out as normal. I'm not going to regionals, so why worry about it?
AgEng06
AG
AggieChemist said:

I'm not changing anything. I will work out as normal. I'm not going to regionals, so why worry about it?
This is pretty much my thought as well. Yes, I want to do as well as I can during the Open (both relative to the region as well as my gym), but I don't plan on changing anything up to accomplish that.
UpstateAg
AG
I'm just focusing on recovery than I ever have in my lifting "career." RomWod with the wife at night, and working on my weaknesses like pistols and muscle ups. I'm not planning on competing for Regionals until I qualify for Masters, so I've got a couple years to grow and learn.
DuckDown2013
AG
YourFavAggie said:

What do yall do for workouts inbetween Open WODS? Last year I went and did daily WODs as normal, and I feel like it slowed me down in the Open. Trying to put my plan together for this year.

As another mentioned above, I'm not a regional athlete, so I don't worry too much. But with that being said, I want to feel fresh on Friday night when I do the open workout.

I'll typically hit Saturday, Monday and Tuesday hard. On Wednesday's, I will still hit a metcon, but movements will usually be at lighter weights and I won't do any crazy rep numbers unless it's a body weight movement like box jumps, burpees, double unders etc. On Thursday, I'll do cardio or body weight movements and stretch a lot. Potentially will work on efficiency of certain movements like ring muscle ups or hand stand push ups if I feel like they could be in the workout
emando2000
AG
YourFavAggie said:

I'll do the WODs that are programmed for us. We ended up splitting some of our people up into teams to create a fun competition. Right now we have 4 teams of 10 people. On Friday's we'll do the actual workout so on Thursday night I'm sure I'll just judge for those that didn't sign up for our team event. I may do a practice run through of the workout to see how it goes but most likely Thursday will be a rest day. If I'm wrecked I'll probably just dial it down a bit but still keep the blood flowing.

As others have stated, I'm nowhere close to being a regionals competitor but I do want to do my best!
gambochaman
AG
Thanks for starting the thread! signed up and added to the spreadsheet!

looking forward to it..just want to continue to see improvement. Its been steady improvement year over year so that's all I really care about...present me vs past me

this past year I started working with a nutrition coach....honed that in and went down from 181 lbs when I started to 157 lbs and 9% body fat....now sitting very happily at 161 lbs

AgEng06
AG
Glad to have you on board, and congrats on the weight loss.
gambochaman
AG
Thanks dude!!

also, Castro posted the hint...pretty sure it means everyone go to confession cuz we fixin' to die

I am fully expecting 17.1 to be the repeat because Dave Castro is a *****
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, we're kind of expecting 17.1 to be the repeat as well. Just wondering if it will be 18.1, or if he'll wait until later.
DuckDown2013
AG
I figure we will see a repeat, but at the same time, I kind of feel like Castro won't do a repeat for the sake of not being predictable. We shall see. I imagine we won't see any complex movements or heavy weight until 18.3. I think the idea in the first couple weeks is "inclusion" in terms of t the majority of the crossfit community being able to fully participate in the first 2 weeks. By the third week, I expect we will see very heavy weights and complex movements in order to separate "good" athletes from Regional athletes.
DuckDown2013
AG
what the heck....ADD ME TO THE SPREADSHEET FOR THE OPEN!
I don't expect to be where I was last year since I am coming off an injury and have only been back in crossfit for a few weeks, but we will see how it goes!
DuckDown2013
AG
Just to further the speculation of the 17.1 repeat... The open announcement is featuring Sam Briggs and Kristen Holte, who finished 2nd and 7th in 17.1...
gambochaman
AG
you can add yourself to the spreadsheet, its open for all of us to enter info
viper14
AG
I am in! First timer right here. Best of luck to all!
Mollie03
AG
Another first timer here. Been doing CF for 3 years. This year to get full participation, gym owner is bribing us with free shirts and an individual and team completion within our own gym. Should be fun!
reproag
AG
DC just released how he programs for The Open. Thought y'all would like to know. NSFW

https://instagr.am/p/BfR4qsvAlL0
I will NEVER apologize for being American
gambochaman
AG
accurate
DuckDown2013
AG
FYI- I added the 2017 spreadsheet on its own tab so we can easily compare our results historically.---That way I can keep track of how many of you guys(and gals) beat me this year so I can try to edge you out next year!! I also color coded Males and Females in blue and red
AgEng06
AG
The Lost
In. First year actually signed up. I did most of 2016 but had a bum shoulder at the time so didn't sign up. Last year wasn't doing crossfit while in grad school. Excited because I feel like I'm in good shape for me and should be able to do them all RX. Wish I could do these at sea level not at altitude haha.
UpstateAg
AG
Are y'all going to mix RXd and scaled or just pick one and stick with it? I was doing bar muscle ups today, and the thought of doing 15 of them in a row, or high weight squat snatches or pistols has me thinking scales might be for me.
Would you rather complete the workout and go all out, or get stuck on a movement you haven't mastered?
YourFavAggie
AG
The first year I did the open I flipped back and forth. Last year I decided just to go all out for the RX and I am happy I did (got my first muscle up), and figured I have every other workout in the year to scale and get as best of a workout as I can.
dc509
AG
Anyone care to make a prediction on what 18.1 will be?
AggieChemist
AG
dc509 said:

Anyone care to make a prediction on what 18.1 will be?

I predict it will suck and that Castro will be incredibly over dramatic and annoying while annoying announcing it.
DuckDown2013
AG
UpstateAg said:

Are y'all going to mix RXd and scaled or just pick one and stick with it? I was doing bar muscle ups today, and the thought of doing 15 of them in a row, or high weight squat snatches or pistols has me thinking scales might be for me.
Would you rather complete the workout and go all out, or get stuck on a movement you haven't mastered?

I'm terms of scoring, 1 rep of an RX workout beats any number of reps on a scaled workout. So, it's best to submit a low RX score. And of course you can do the scaled version of the workout separately if you want to experience the stimulus that Castro is going for.
dc509
AG
Yeah both of those. I know he won't do this, but I think something old school like Jackie would be cool. A let's see what you're made of workout from the start.
Woods Ag
AG
I ain't even excited this year. Swore off DUs after 17.5 and haven't done one since. I'm protesting as long as they continue to include that mamby pamby activity in their programming.

The wife may be back to whoop you all tho..
DuckDown2013
AG
I don't know what it will be, but I'm predicting something long. Briggs and Holte both have great motors and excel in long workouts.
dc509
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

I don't know what it will be, but I'm predicting something long. Briggs and Holte both have great motors and excel in long workouts.
3 RFT:
1xMurph
1xFran
gambochaman
AG
castro just said on IG that 18.1 will feature a new movement to the open

pistols finally make it in?
DuckDown2013
AG
gambochaman said:

castro just said on IG that 18.1 will feature a new movement to the open

pistols finally make it in?
It is definitely an option! I would say these movements could also make it in:
Db press (was in the judges course)
Db thruster (please nooooo)
Db single ovh walking lunge
assault bike
UpstateAg
AG
It has to be something groups can do all at once at your average box and can judge, so I don't think it's running or rowing/assault calories.
Have we ever seen front or back squats? If it's pistols, then Dave Castro wants us to hate him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.