Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2018 CrossFit Open

24,779 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah...I'm gonna get to 220 and then its gonna get hairy after that
dc509
AG
Hydrate and eat lots of carbs today, Ags.
Woods Ag
AG
232.. finished the DUs with about a min left and got thru the MUs

I'm happy. Just wanted an opportunity to get to the MUs
YourFavAggie
AG
Got to 220 at 8:58 and then spent 5 minutes air humping on the rings. Will try over the weekend to get down the ring MU's and will redo if I can get one down.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks man. It started last Saturday during a re-test of 18.2, and hasn't really gone away since. I didn't work out this week, hoping it would go away, but it came right back this morning. I won't be working out again until I can figure out what's going on.
gigemhilo
AG
I kinda feel bad saying i finished on this one. the scaled version is so much easier than the Rx, its almost comical.

But I finished. I'll post my score monday since I will definitely redo to try to get faster.
gigemhilo
AG
Sorry to hear about the migraines AgEng06 - take care of yourself. the games are not worth risking your health.
gambochaman
AG
AgEng, lots of hydration...take elctrolytes. Eat lots of fruits and veggies...I'm thinking your body is just depleted. And rest! rest! rest!...sleep plenty, take naps, etc.

and yeah, the scaled version of this is quite a step down from the rx
AgEng06
AG
Thanks guys.
DuckDown2013
AG
Woodsag- hell of a job, ESPECIALLY because you haven't been doing double unders. Maybe yalls relationship just needed time and space. Lol

So I came to the box to do ring muscle up progressions before I leave town for the weekend. My shoulder was surprisingly feeling good, so I Figured what the heck, I'll try the full muscle ups. After failing 10+ attempts, I hit 2 in a row and Then started failing again.

So I rested about 5 minutes and said what the hell, let's do a little practice run through since I'm planning on doing the real thing on Monday when I get back in town.

First 100 double unders unbroken
115 ovh squat felt heavy as sh*t so I did 4 sets of 5.
Then did the second 100 double unders in 4 sets of 25 ( I'm
Already DYING at this point). I rested about a minute and failed about 15 muscle up attempts and quit haha.

All that to say, ive been extremely humbled and now I'm shooting for ONE ring muscle up for this workout. Haha
viper14
AG
Scaled this one....did the most c2b I have ever done in my short time at CF so far.
861 reps out of 928
12:15 tie breaker
FarmersFightForever
AG
AgEng, sounds like it could be an exertion headache. I got one after a 50 rep max back squat workout. It took a full 2-3 weeks of resting for it to go away. Anything that elevated my heart rate would re-aggravate it, extending the recovery time. Hope you figure it out and feel better!
dc509
AG
FarmersFightForever said:

AgEng, sounds like it could be an exertion headache. I got one after a 50 rep max back squat workout. It took a full 2-3 weeks of resting for it to go away. Anything that elevated my heart rate would re-aggravate it, extending the recovery time. Hope you figure it out and feel better!
A 50 rep max? Damn
Woods Ag
AG
"at the moment of battle our spirits will soar"
- some old Indian in a movie I saw once that stuck with me and I use all the time.

This will be you on Monday when you're doing it for real.
AgEng06
AG
Based on a little research, I'd say you're correct (assuming I don't have some other underlying issue).

Hell, this link even has a CrossFit section.... http://www.apexllc.org/articles/exertion-headaches/
gambochaman
AG
Finished 220 in 4:13
Then...11 muscleups
I dont think I have ever been so angry and frustrated
Holy crap
I had 6-7 very very close faila

Both my arms are shaking like crazy
The Lost
the only thing i hate about the whole friday night be the common box time to do it, is that I get the joy of sitting around overthinking it all day. I'm ready to just get it done and move on.

dc509
AG
535 with a 12:58 tiebreak. That was a good one. Good luck to everyone yet to go.
The Lost
220 with 10:14 tie break. Hit my goal so I'm not mad. I did sets of 5 on the squats and could have improved my tie break time but did 2 snatches then failed on the first squat because of lack of commitment/anger. Luckily I'm skiing tomorrow so I don't have to even consider trying to improve that!
Woods Ag
AG
Y'all seen this?

I tested it last night on our rowers and it's real.
gambochaman
AG
Wonder how many people used that on 18.1
Certainly doesnt give you a huge time advantage but the effort required is so much less, that fatigue becomes the advantage
emando2000
AG
Woods Ag said:

Y'all seen this?

One of our coaches heard about it & we tested it out last week. It does work that way. While you'd lose out in a short sprint, you'd HUGELY benefit from it in a long comp like 18.1. You gotta think. I was rowing 18.1 consistently around 45 sec & getting gassed. The athlete next to me can do the same with this method & be completely fresh coming off the rower.
gigemhilo
AG
We've only had one person at our box get past 220, and he is our "champion"... this one is eating everyone's lunch!
gambochaman
AG
MAn i wouls love to try again today but my pecs are still on fire
emando2000
AG
18.3 was my worst nightmare for the open because I don't have ring muscle ups. It's my fault though, I've only practiced them a handful of times. My hands rip every time I attempt to practice them. I was going to retest yesterday but my hands are blistered and my left shoulder & peck are having issues.

I got 1 though, lol!
reproag
AG
emando2000 said:

Woods Ag said:

Y'all seen this?

One of our coaches heard about it & we tested it out last week. It does work that way. While you'd lose out in a short sprint, you'd HUGELY benefit from it in a long comp like 18.1. You gotta think. I was rowing 18.1 consistently around 45 sec & getting gassed. The athlete next to me can do the same with this method & be completely fresh coming off the rower.

Tested it too last Thurs. Our rower's timer stopped at 6 sec but the results were the same as the video. I bet HQ goes back and looks at 18.1 and the new standard is a pull every 5 or less seconds.

Here is a statement by Concept 2 founder Peter Dreissigacker explaining why:

"There is a time limit, programmed into the monitor, of 6 seconds from the finish of a drive to the start of the next drive. A delay of more than 6 seconds signals the monitor that you have stopped rowing. The monitor's self-calibrating function uses the completed stroke cycle (drive, recovery, drive) to determine the drag factor to use in calculating the correct data you see on the monitor. Unfortunately, by pausing for 7 seconds before you start your next drive, the monitor assumes you have stopped rowingand the monitor never 'sees' a complete stroke (it determined you had stopped rowing before it could sense the end of your recovery). If the monitor never 'sees' a complete stroke, the drag factor will not be correctly determined and the data displayed will not be correct. In terms of getting a valid score, what are you are doing here is like painting '45' on your 25-pound weight plates."
FarmersFightForever
AG
Repeated 18.3 this morning (which I would not recommend) because my DU rhythm was off from the start the first go around and I knew I could do a lot better. But my Achilles and calves had not fully recovered and were screaming at me halfway through the first set of DU's and I only improved by 5 reps. 459 Rx

3 down, 2 to go
UpstateAg
AG
I did 18.3 Friday, but my shoulders are just not cooperating. Been doing mobility work with a lacrosse ball but OHS has just been eating me up. I failed probably ten times coming up from the bottom. Frustrating because I finish double unders in no time, knock out half the OHS and then they my thoracic mobility just goes to crap.
Considering not redoing since this is my first open and been doing this for just a few months. Thinking of this as a learning curve year. Is it best just to move on and take the crap score (220) or redo it?
Woods Ag
AG
I wouldn't waste the time and potential of soarness effecting a full week of workouts.

I should have stuck to my guns and not redid 18.2... still dealing with a hip flexor strain because of it.
emando2000
AG
FarmersFightForever said:

Repeated 18.3 this morning (which I would not recommend) because my DU rhythm was off from the start the first go around and I knew I could do a lot better. But my Achilles and calves had not fully recovered and were screaming at me halfway through the first set of DU's and I only improved by 5 reps. 459 Rx

3 down, 2 to go
5 reps bro? C'mon mannnn!
DuckDown2013
AG
231...3:21 tie break. I got to 11 muscle ups with almost 6 minutes remaining and for the life of me couldn't get to 12... SO FRUSTRATING. I hadn't done ring muscle ups since before my foot injury so I was just hoping to get one.. I am OVER this open haha
DuckDown2013
AG
somebody has fallen a little behind on our 18.2(a) rankings....
gambochaman
AG
It kills me but i wont be redoing this
Warmed up and tried a few pushups and a few drills and the soreness is too much
AgEng06
AG
Hey now, I was just giving you guys time to get all your scores in.... which still hasn't happened. I will update the rankings soon...
dc509
AG
I'll have mine in a little later this afternoon. My phone has refused to enter my score.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.