Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2018 CrossFit Open

24,764 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I noticed in the videos of those 2 guys that were at the top for a while that they were using those rowers. One guy was continuously hitting 14 cals in ~30 seconds or less, with what looked like very little effort.
emando2000
AG
AgEng06 said:

I noticed in the videos of those 2 guys that were at the top for a while that they were using those rowers. One guy was continuously hitting 14 cals in ~30 seconds or less, with what looked like very little effort.

Yeah I noticed the little effort too. He was rowing 1 cal per pull which is possible but it looked way too easy. It had me questioning how good I am on the rower.
DuckDown2013
AG
gambochaman said:

Also, yall see the announcement about Xebex rowers? Holy freAking crap

Good, maybe I'll move up a little in the standings!
gambochaman
AG
I just sAw th video and it looks WAY too easy for sure....the owner of our box says he rowed on a xebex once and it was a joke

I wonde how they enforce it though? Will people willingly come forward? Redo it and take the 15% penalty? How will hq know who used xebex and who didnt?
AgEng06
AG
I'm guessing there's no way they will know, except on video submissions. Of course it's technically always like that, which I why I believe they require video submissions for anyone that might qualify for Regionals.
gambochaman
AG
I mean, I guess in terms of fairness and consequences, boxes want to make sure to turn themselves in if they used Xebex machines. Otherwise, if they get turned in by another nearby box or a whistleblower, they could get completely disqualified.
UpstateAg
AG
I've been looking at getting a rower for my garage gym and have noticed every box in upstate SC (and every place I've ever been, actually) uses concept 2. Maybe there is a reason for that after all.......
emando2000
AG
Barbend explains it here There's also a video making fun of the xebex rower on the link.

Morning Chalk up shows they asked about their rowers before testing

I'm sure these guys are pissed but they seriously looked like they weren't putting much effort into the row. They had me doubting my abilities.

They have until March 6th to resubmit 18.1
The Lost
Gonna do the workout tonight. Hopefully it is another that won't leave me crazy sore since i'm going skiing fri/sat/sun.
gambochaman
AG
T&Ps
reproag
AG
emando2000 said:

Barbend explains it here There's also a video making fun of the xebex rower on the link.

I'm sure these guys are pissed but they seriously looked like they weren't putting much effort into the row. They had me doubting my abilities.

That sucks for Get Rx'ed who makes Xebex. Got my first set of garage gear from them when they first opened. Picked it up at there wear house & they threw in a bunch of extra stuff; clips, rings, shirts and some bands.
I will NEVER apologize for being American
gambochaman
AG
well, don't make stuff that's not up to snuff. they should release some kind of recalibration mechanism to get their rowers working right
emando2000
AG
reproag said:

emando2000 said:

That sucks for Get Rx'ed who makes Xebex. Got my first set of garage gear from them when they first opened. Picked it up at there wear house & they threw in a bunch of extra stuff; clips, rings, shirts and some bands.
It does but this is also on the CrossFit staff for not anticipating something like this.

I don't like the 15% penalty, I think they need to do it again. 20 min is a long time and there is no way to know how the rower affects them. A 15% penalty gives them a score of around 420 (about 2 less rounds).
gambochaman
AG
they did specify concept2 or something with equal calibration

its on the manufacturer for flat out lying
DuckDown2013
AG
I'd even be interested to see a comparison in the assault air bikes versus the new rogue echo bikes.
reproag
AG
gambochaman said:

they did specify concept2 or something with equal calibration

its on the manufacturer for flat out lying
IF they lied. Not saying the did or didn't but I'd imagine both concept 2 and Xebex are keeping their calculation formulas close to the vest. I've never been on a Xebex so I don't know if its easier or not. I do know I'm not a games or regional athlete and my 500 m on a concept 2 is 1:23. The Instagram post with times sub 1:30 time doesn't seem out of the ordinary. It would be nice to see a comparison of averages for different meters and Cal rowed between the two rowers. Or maybe some video of other top athletes to see what their row time was during 18.1
dc509
AG
Looks like there's going to be another new movement for 18.2. Any guesses? Based on that and the fire I'm going with pistols.

Edit: No I'm not. Going to have to think a little more on it.
gambochaman
AG
Db thrusters...
dc509
AG
Crossed my mind, and you could be right, but until proven otherwise I think thrusters are reserved for whatever year .5.
AgEng06
AG
Tommy's 18.1 Report Card https://games.crossfit.com/article/tommys-181-report-card/open

Quote:

GRADE: F

JONATHAN VARELA AND MALACHI BENNETT

For a moment, it appeared that Jonathan Varela and Malachi Bennett serendipitously had the two top scores in 18.1, side by side at their unaffiliated gym.

Upon further inspection and review of their videos, they were both assessed a major penalty, have since had their scores adjusted, and were denied the top spots on the Leaderboard after it was discovered that their Xebex brand rowers were significantly easier to log calories on than the Concept2.
A few things seem iffy in regards to the situation and the choice to use these rowers and submit their scores.

1. In the submission videos, as the camera pans to the right for a moment, you can clearly see a Concept2 rower sitting in the gym in a position to be used (not stored upright).

2. Both athletes have multiple Opens under their belt (Bennett- six, Varela- 3) during which the Concept2 rower has been implemented.

3. For the time it took the athletes to row 14 calories most rounds (25-28 seconds), they would need to be holding an 1,800-2,000 calorie-per-hour pace on a Concept2 rower.

4. Neither athlete has qualified for Regionals. Bennett, while a solid athlete, has a best Open workout finish of 117th, and Varela has yet to crack the top 2,500 in a workout. Top worldwide finishes seemed shady at best.

5. CrossFit 307 in their town of Casper, Wyoming, has Concept2 rowers.

Bennett and Varela chose not to use the correct rowers even though they had the option. They are both experienced athletes who should have known the difference between the Xebex and the Concept2. Their pace is outlandish given the circumstances, and even through the pace could feasibly be achieved, they haven't proven to be the caliber of athletes to do it.

From what I gather by the people coming to the defense of their character on social media, I'm sure they're both decent guys.

They just aren't the best at 18.1.
gambochaman
AG
I like it
Althought my nax clean is not where i would like it to be
AgEng06
AG
Welp, how strong are you boys?

I like it too.

emando2000
AG
Dont like the workout. Favors strength. The first part of the workout is strictly for tie breaking purposes. There's no benefit to push yourself if you can clean 400 lbs.

There needs to be a benefit to finishing the 1st part as fast as you can.
DuckDown2013
AG
Yea it will be interesting to see how they average the 2. So if I smash the first part and only clean 225, anybody who power cleans 226 beats me?
UpstateAg
AG
First time newb question: does the first portion time count? I mean, the clean is really the score, right?
AgEng06
AG
I believe you record the time at the end of the first part, then also the clean weight. 2 different scores.
AgEng06
AG
I also wish they'd weight these heavy lifts as a function of body weight... since I'm a lightweight.
gambochaman
AG
Excelle time for a PR

and yes, its two separate scores
DuckDown2013
AG
AgEng06 said:

I also wish they'd weight these heavy lifts as a function of body weight... since I'm a lightweight.

No kidding. I'm 6-2 180...haha. I'm not built for power
AgEng06
AG
I'm 5-10, 155...
DuckDown2013
AG
I wish they scored both workouts separately then took the average of the 2 placings.
emando2000
AG
Ok, I misunderstood. So these are scored completely separate?
gambochaman
AG
YEah im not built for power either
Gonna have to push hard on the first part then hope for the best on part 2
gambochaman
AG
How did they do? I turned it off to eat dinner after castro announced the workour
AgEng06
AG
I missed it too, but sounded like they both struggled more than expected on the cleans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.