Jeep Wranglers

84,248 Views | 483 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Furlock Bones
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed Friday. I know lots of guys are running 315s on the stock 7.5" wide wheels but I'm thinking I would be more comfortable with a 8.5" wide wheel. With that said I'm looking at AEV Pintler in Onyx.
CATAGBQ04
AG
K Bo said:

I'm getting 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed Friday. I know lots of guys are running 315s on the stock 7.5" wide wheels but I'm thinking I would be more comfortable with a 8.5" wide wheel. With that said I'm looking at AEV Pintler in Onyx.

315s will rub unless you have at least 4.5" back spacing.
K Bo
AG
I'm seeing tons of people running 315s on stock Rubicon wheels with no lift that claim no rubbing. I guess I'll find out Friday.

To clarify: I don't see any heavy flexing in my immediate future so not too concerned with stuffing the tires in t the fenders just yet.
Furlock Bones
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

K Bo said:

315s will rub unless you have at least 4.5" back spacing.
he should be good to go on the JL Rubicon. fenders have a lot more clearance than the JK.
K Bo
AG
Using tiresize.com it looks like I lose .6" clearance on the inside of the tires when keeping stock +44mm offset wheels. The Pintlers are +25mm offset and would bring the inside of the tires closer to their original location with the 285/70/17 tires.
JB
AG
Buy me!

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3010836
CATAGBQ04
AG
My bad, was thinking JK

Carry on!
K Bo
AG
315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed this morning. This should have been the stock tire size on 8.5" wide wheels.

Until I get 8.5" wheels I'll probably have to air them down to 30psi to get a more optimal contact patch and wear pattern. I've also ordered a SuperChips FlashCal to adjust for the larger tires and reduce my TPMS low air level alert.
RickSawyer
AG
Park in the lines jerk!!!

Joking, looks great!
Kuz89
AG
Looks nice, love the color. I've been running Ridge Grapplers for about a month and they are great thus far. Fantastic on and off road.
pdtnation
AG
Picked up a set of Recon take off springs, shocks, and wheels/tires with only 300 miles on them. Picked up 2.5in in the front and 2in in the rear.

I still have a set of new JLU mopar slush mats if any of the new JL owners need liners. I'll let them go for a good price to get rid of them. I'm looking for a set of rear JK mats if anyone has a set they're getting rid of.
AgBass01
AG
I did the same thing, then put a 2.5" spacer lift on top of that. It's amazing the difference in those Recon springs.
pdtnation
AG
I wasn't sure what to expect going from 17/58s to 19/61s with all the different info out there. I couldn't be much happier with the results.
AgBass01
AG
Yup, I went from 16/58.
tmas
AG
Has anyone upgrade their headlights to LED? If so, what brand? I've been looking at Quadratec and KC. I want traditional looking headlights as opposed to the bulb within a bulb look of JW Speaker.

Thanks!
RZM07
I just put Procomp LED headlights in my 16 JKU. It's not the "traditional" look that you're going for, but the performance is amazing at a fraction of the cost of JW Speaker.
txagfisher
AG
I have trucklites on mine. I would have preferred JW speaker, but needed something heated for snow. I like the trucklites just fine for what its worth.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Just installed JW Speaker J2s in mine after my Amazon LED bulbs finally died after about 2 years on my last trip (actually impressed).

Use my buddy! www.rivercityoffroad.com

American made and less than $500, so far I really like them...also installed new trim rings. Re-aiming is required, you'll blind absolutely everyone if you don't.

Kuz89
AG
My truck-lites have been sitting on the shelf for the past year after the 2nd failure in 3 years. Yes, they warrantied both times, but in the week and a half that I was waiting for the replacement, I bought some cheap JW Speaker knock offs from Amazon. The XX pattern of the Truck-lites always bothered me so they are still on the shelf and the $125 knock off are still going strong. I'm not sure how much longer they will last but I have not felt the need to go back to the Truck-Lites.
Kuz89
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

Just installed JW Speaker J2s in mine after my Amazon LED bulbs finally died after about 2 years on my last trip (actually impressed).

Use my buddy! www.rivercityoffroad.com

American made and less than $500, so far I really like them...also installed new trim rings. Re-aiming is required, you'll blind absolutely everyone if you don't.

Is the $475 price per light or for the set? If it's the set that's a great price!
K Bo
AG
new wheels installed this morning:

capn00
AG
I really like the look K Bo. I would have never even considered a wheel like that, but I really like it seeing it on your Jeep.

On the LED Headlights, I have a set of Truck-lites. They were a huge improvement over the stock setup when I bought my LJ, but I do notice the XX pattern everytime I drive at night. Thankfully I don't do a lot of night driving, so I don't see spending the money to change them out.
K Bo
AG
Thank you!

I noticed the same thing on the Trucklites on my LJ but, like you, dind't do enough nit-time driving to feel the need to do something about it. The LED headlights on the LJ were a huge improvement, though.
ac04
wow that is a unique wheel. like the color combo.
Furlock Bones
AG
nice looking wheels.
capn00
AG
Reviewing this thread has reminded me that I committed to the family last summer we would switch to a soft top this Spring. I usually just leave the roof off all summer since we have the room to keep it parked in the garage, but the weather is pretty unpredictable around here so we don't take it "down to the shore" as they say around here as much as we would like. Wife and kids don't seem to enjoy the freedom of a topless vehicle when we get caught in a surprise rainstorm an hour from home.

I really only know of two decent options for the LJ, so I am looking for votes, or suggestions, or advice.

Here is my current setup:

Winter

Summer (back when we just left the top off all the time, then we moved back to PA...)

So, Trektop NX?

Or Supertop NX?

Order of posting would probably give away my preference, but I haven't had the chance to use the Trektop before. Not having to deal with the frame seems like enough of a bonus to me, but still looking for opinions.

Thanks
K Bo
AG
Trektop NX gets my vote.

My LJ had a rampage top when I bought it:

I didn't much like the look of it but I did like the option of running a "safari" style top with ease.

I decided, though, I preferred the look of the Trektop NX better:

Trektop, no back and sides, & half doors was my favorite configuration:

In the above configuration I still got the safari feel but had the option to utilize the sunrider feature as a "sunroof" or could just fold the top back entirely.

capn00
AG
Great help with the pictures.

Did the framing bother you on the new top? Kids love to pile in and out of the Jeep over the sides when the roof is off. I guess if the weather is nice I would have it pulled all the way back anyway.

Could be switching my mind. I was content with the frameless version until your post.

Hmm...
K Bo
AG
The framing never bothered me but I don't have kids. When I would load up my dog I would do it from the rear. I could see where the framing might be side-entry prohibitive but I think I could look past that. I don't think you can go wrong either way. You'll make the right choice!
OE_Ag11
AG
Anyone else heading out to BVORR tomorrow?
Furlock Bones
AG
finally coming to a end for the moment. getting the last things buttoned up before the baby arrives.

powdercoated the corner guards to match. tighted up the tire carrier. no rattles. had my slider/steps burned on.

Flaith
AG
Hola Jeep bros. Since this is the only Jeep gangbang thread, I figured I would bring some XJ love.

I finally pulled the trigger on installing lift, wheels, and tires on my '97 2-door, and I think it turned out awesome. Going from clapped-out original (200k+ miles) suspension to this is a pretty big difference!

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride lift kit
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Teraflex Adjustable Track bar
Moog front end components with ZJ drag link
31x10.50 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
15x8" Black Rock steelies

Probably take a break from buying things for a while and just go drive it. I have a list of things in my head that I want eventually (re-gear, bumpers, ACOS, exhaust, TB, etc)....It never ends. It's like adult LEGOs.

Anyone have recommendations for some light offroading areas within a couple hours of Houston? This has not been my scene, but I'm interested in dipping my toe in for some light wheeling and see where it goes from there. Bonus points for scenic views, camp sites, etc, to maybe foster some active-lifestyle development

Thanks!
Furlock Bones
AG
I like that 2 door XJ.

Hidden Falls in Marble Falls is one of the go to spots. Trails run from mild to wild.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Yes...that is for the pair!

Flaith hit me up on places to go play...I think a Barnwell trip is coming up, would be a good place for you to enjoy that thing.
Flaith
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

Yes...that is for the pair!

Flaith hit me up on places to go play...I think a Barnwell trip is coming up, would be a good place for you to enjoy that thing.
Will do! I'm very interested in getting in to something like that.

Got a new baby in the house, so will need plenty of notice for any away trips. I'll shoot you an email for more info if you confirm your address (do you still use your CTSV one?).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.