Jeep Wranglers

84,256 Views | 483 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Furlock Bones
JB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We always stay at the motel for the Clayton trip. If it ends up closing, I'm sure we will end up finding something else, just won't be the same. Its been pretty frigid/rainy the last couple of years on the week we go, so camping on the airstrip usually sucks.
ILikeTacos
AG
JB said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Clayton?
Of course. Hopefully the A&A is still open by then. Sounds like they may be closing.
Man the A&A closing? That would suck.
GMM
My Jeep

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Hey guys - sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question, but here goes...

Sometime next spring I'll probably be looking at joining the Wrangler club. I'd be looking for a 4 door so I can haul my 3 kids around. It wouldn't be long trips - mostly just school drop off and the like.

I was wondering what type of mileage life expectancy these things have? I'd probably be looking to stay under $22-23k, so it would definitely have some miles on it. From what I've seen around - and with as much community as there appears to be - it seems these should last for a long, long time if taken care of.

Just wanted to get y'alls thoughts since you all obviously have experience with them.

Thanks!
CATAGBQ04
AG
Flex tested my rig yesterday for Gilmer trip this weekend...I'm pleased with the results.

https://instagr.am/p/BpS-Av6gTq2
OE_Ag11
AG
im heading up to Barnwell this weekend as well. First time heading up there
CATAGBQ04
AG
Cool...look for Jeep above driven by tall goofy dude!
OE_Ag11
AG
Will do. I have a bright silver tj. Also driven by a tall, big goofy looking guy.

It does have flat fenders now, and the kc lights on the a pillars are down front, and less replaced them.

You have a way to watch the game tomorrow night?
OE_Ag11
AG
Barnwell is quite a fun place to go. Will definitely be making another trip up that way.

Only bad news is on one of the trails the key ignition actuator assembly decided to fail so had to get towed back since we couldn't get the jeep started. Luckily was able to build a little wiring harness to bypass the ignition switch and get myself home.

Was able to find the parts and shouldn't be too hard to replace.
RickSawyer
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

Will do. I have a bright silver tj...
It does have flat fenders now...

Which fenders did you go with?
OE_Ag11
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P2B998/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seem to be decent. the steel on my fenders was a little bent so was harder to get everything stuck quite right with he sticky tape they include. but i havent really seen an issue with it yet coming off
RickSawyer
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P2B998/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seem to be decent. the steel on my fenders was a little bent so was harder to get everything stuck quite right with he sticky tape they include. but i havent really seen an issue with it yet coming off

Ah got it. Didn't know if you did full fender replacement with a high line hood. I would like to look at doing the full fender and modified hood when (if?) I ever finally get around to beefing up the drive train and redoing the suspension.

Thanks.
OE_Ag11
AG
nope i have the same plan. no reason to do it twice, especially if I push the front axle forward like I plan at some point. engine is first though.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Tons of fun...I got zero wheeling pics of myself...since I was wheeling, but I did almost go nose over on my lid because I followed my buddy's solid axled Tacoma line in these pics...that was exciting

https://instagr.am/p/Bpf_n_iglhs
OE_Ag11
AG
I know there are some out there of my jeep going, just dont know where the guy that was in the Dallas TX4WD group would post them. I have seen a bunch on the Houston chapters Facebook page though so maybe there will be some in there of yours. I do remember seeing some videos and pictures of that Toyota running the trails. It was the one with the spare drive shaft attached to the bed right?

We did have one guy in the morning group snap an axle, luckily he had another one on his trailer. Un-luckily somehow snapped the Detroit locker as well so was still only 3 wheel drive. The super off camber trail Sunday Cruising was fun, didn't realize until I finished and was talking to the guys at the end that the jeep was close to going over backwards. Front passenger tire was about 5 ft off the ground at one point they said before the weight shifted.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Yup, he's a friend and owns Trail Toys...also an Aggie.
OE_Ag11
AG
So just as a help to others, for anyone that has a TJ or any other 97-07 chrysler,jeep,dodge vehicle. If you get somewhere and it won't even try to start it may be the key actuator assembly. With mine the key going to start didnt feel right, after screwing with it a ton the key wouldn't even cut the radio like it does when it trys to start.

Basically the end of the rod that connects the key assembly to the ignition switch breaks off as show in the photos below. Once that happens the connections that need to be made are not anymore and the jeep wont run. Even with the jeep acting like the ignition was on it still was not. We had tried pulling the starter relay and manually activated the starter with some scrap wire. Even then the jeep didn't run.

The dealerships supposedly dont carry the part, says it doesn't exist and will try to sell you a new a whole new steering column. Or so said the forums. However the part is made by dorman and is available on amazon or in a bunch of the auto parts stores. This is the part, I replaced the ignition switch at the same time since it was all apart anyways. Cost 53 bucks shipped. You will need a t10 security bit (has the hole drilled in the middle) to remove the ignition components. If you search for it dorman also makes a nice video that shows how to disassemble and replace the parts.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-45278-924-704.aspx

Pictures of broken ignition switch actuator. Broken tip is circled.

If you really are stuck some where building a little jumper is an option. The key will still need to be in the ignition, that way the steering is unlocked and the sentry key reader still can read it so the immobilizer doesnt kick on and lock everything up and stops the jeep from running. I dont know how many times the computer will let you try to start the vehicle without the key being read (that little no key symbol on the dash should go off when it does read it) it can lock you out then you will have to go through the dealership to get everything unlocked and I'm sure that's not cheap or easy.

The bare min to run the jeep as I found for an 04 TJ you need to have +12v supplied to the bright blue wire in the middle, the back with green stripe, and the back with orange stripe. I had flat blades in all of these, then an additional one that I could plug and unplug to the thick red wire. The yellow wire is the starter relay circuit so you will need to power that manually and then release once the jeep starts. I didnt have windshield wipers or 12v plugs heading home but the airbag light was off, and I had turn signals, and the HVAC system worked and it got me home with no codes or issues. If you happen to have the security bit on you you need you should be able to pull all the pieces off and use a flat head to turn the ignition switch separately than the key, the key will still need to be where it belongs to keep the steering wheel lock off and the sentry key immobilizer deactivated.

My wires looked like this below.

With the jumpers.

I'm not responsible if you fry/screw up your jeep or other vehicle doing this but it worked for me. And figured if one of yall gets stranded might be nice to have this. The repair didnt take long at all as long as you had the t10 torqx security bit and didnt try to lose the little springs.
lawless89
Picked up this new girl on Monday! 2000 Wrangler with pretty much every upgrade possible. First owner was apparently an Air Force fighter pilot Ag (someone here??).

Got it basically just as a pavement princess for now. Once the newness to me wears off, I might take it out, but I really hate breaking things.

RickSawyer
AG
Welcome to the club! Looks great!
AgTech88
AG
Get that damn thing off road!!!
aggiepaintrain
AG
it's baaaaaaack......

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-death-wobble-reported-on-new-wrangler
FJB
Street Fighter
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

it's baaaaaaack......

It never left!
cityagboy
AG
?cid=19f5b51a5bf4c3056d577144457950d8
K Bo
AG
Anyone in Houston with 5 x 33/12.50/15 have interest in trading for my 5 x 35/12.50/15 MT/Rs? My Jeep (even though I have it offered for sale) doesn't fit in my work garage anymore since they installed new gate arms.

link to classified ad
RZM07
PM sent
K Bo
AG
Talk me out of selling my Tahoe instead of my LJ and DD'ing the LJ. 8mi RT commute and I don't really drive much beyond a 200mi radius of Houston.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6742006563.html
Goose
AG
I daily a 2005 LJ (15 mile commute each way) and I f'ing love it more now than when I got it almost a year ago.
JB
AG
Clayton Christmas Carnage this weekend if any of you JK bros want to join in.
K Bo
AgBass01
AG
Picked up some springs off a Rubicon Recon and put them on Friday. Picked up a 2" lift in the front and 1" in the rear. Got rid of the rake and sits nice and level now.
EskimoJoe
Street Fighter said:

aggiepaintrain said:

it's baaaaaaack......

It never left!

it wouldn't be a jeep without it
steve00
AG
Recently upgraded from a 2015 JK to a 2019 JL.

It's great so far. Rides a lot sturdier. Looking forward to putting the top down once winter is over.

10andBOUNCE
AG
Just a lurker on the auto board but have a new respect for you Jeep owners. Got stuck in some snow outside Breckenridge CO and a Jeep bro stopped and got my butt out within 20 minutes on his winch. No roadside assistance needed!
CATAGBQ04
AG
I've been up in Pagosa Springs all this week, had my first chance to snow wheel!

Centerpole90
AG
Dude this trip is epic... you have a lot of updating to do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.