Jeep Wranglers

84,265 Views | 483 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm in Marshall, TX. I doubt you've seen mine...it hasn't been out much.
Street Fighter
AG
Anybody interested in an new black powder coated VKS fab rear bumper? $400.00

OE_Ag11
AG
Are they running two shocks in the rear of the red one or where is the spring going to go?

Also is the silver one a la or just a tj? All them are pretty good looking jeeps
OE_Ag11
AG
6.2 as in the L92? I have just started at pricing out and toying with the idea of a swap in mine. How hard would it to run the L92 with a 4L80 with a manual valve pack (through Hughes would still have the ability to lock the TC) jeep is currently a manual so would figure would be easier and would give me the best of both worlds.

Other option would just run the LS2 but figured the L92 would be cheaper for the same power and a little more room to grow. Or am I wrong?
Street Fighter
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

Are they running two shocks in the rear of the red one or where is the spring going to go?

Also is the silver one a la or just a tj? All them are pretty good looking jeeps
The red one has out boarded king bypass shocks, springs are in the stock location.

The silver one is a JK with TJ side mirrors.

I'm looking at an LS3 525 hp crate engine mated to a 6L90, or really stupid LSX 454.
Furlock Bones
AG
i can attest to the VKS Fab quality. his welding is top notch. only thing i don't like about the Prerunner rear bumper is losing the hitch.
ILikeTacos
AG
Street Fighter said:

I'm looking at an LS3 525 hp crate engine mated to a 6L90, or really stupid LSX 454.

Street Fighter
AG
ILikeTacos
AG
Street Fighter said:

Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with them in 4WD applications but behind a high hp CTS-V they have been known to blow a few times, and I have seen what has happened to a 4L80 behind an LQ4 mated to an atlas turning 42's and it wasn't pretty either honestly, so i am not suggesting that!

I guess my question is do you really need the overdrive? Is this rig going to stay street legal and expect to cruise 65-70+, if so then why not a 6l90? If you don't why not build a bullet proof 400 and save about 5" of length? Just wondering? I really like learning but other folks projects.
Street Fighter
AG
Never had any intention on using a 4l80, more like a 6L90 with a billet converter.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Anyone need a Dana 44 front from a late 70's wagoneer? Also have Motive 5.13 gears still in the box. Sold the jeep, have leftovers.

Also have a 6.0 torn down to the block and 4L80e I'm probably getting rid of. Two seats of cathedral port heads, accessories, harness etc. doesn't have pistons. I didn't ask the dude I bought it from why, but has all the other accessories. Came out of an early 2000's 2500 IIRC.

In Austin. I'll make someone a great deal to get it out of my garage so I can move around easier while working on the '57
OE_Ag11
AG
I'm still a year or so out but might be interested in the parts to sit in my garage. Too many projects now but if the deal is good enough might have to jump on it. Are all the parts there for the engine or what all is missing?

Also do you know how many miles on the transmission about when it was pulled? I was thinking of doing the full manual conversion but have just started playing with the ideas of a swap.
OE_Ag11
AG
Why not the 4l80?

From what I was reading they are pretty bullet proof, is that not right? Also I was really interested in it and then doing the manual valve body swap. Since my jeep is a manual already thought might be a little easier also has a little unique factor to it and a little more control. Still would have the TC lock up as well.
Tx95Ag
AG
Hate seeing this thread drop to the second page, so here is a request for advice.

I have a 2016 JKU sport. I have a TF leveling kit installed with 33" STMaxx tires. I am at 46K miles, so as you can tell she's seeing a lot of highway miles to-from work. Anyway, I probably have 6-8K left before it is time for new tires and I also need to re-gear.

I want to go to 35's, so do I:

- install flat fenders and slap 35's on
- lift 2.5" and slap 35's on

For the front axle:
- just re-gear and drive it, then fix it if it ever beaks
- truss, gusset and re-gear
- upgrade

Anything to do to the rear axle?

I'm in Houston and mostly run the beach plus a few dirt roads with occasional mud.
Furlock Bones
AG
Tx95Ag said:

Hate seeing this thread drop to the second page, so here is a request for advice.

I have a 2016 JKU sport. I have a TF leveling kit installed with 33" STMaxx tires. I am at 46K miles, so as you can tell she's seeing a lot of highway miles to-from work. Anyway, I probably have 6-8K left before it is time for new tires and I also need to re-gear.

I want to go to 35's, so do I:

- install flat fenders and slap 35's on
- lift 2.5" and slap 35's on

For the front axle:
- just re-gear and drive it, then fix it if it ever beaks
- truss, gusset and re-gear
- upgrade

Anything to do to the rear axle?

I'm in Houston and mostly run the beach plus a few dirt roads with occasional mud.

if you end goal is just beach and dirt roads, i would do a spacer lift and either shock extensions or longer shocks. cut your factory fenders (of if you just want to spend the money, buy some flat fenders)

as far as front axle, i would regear it because even 4.10s feel undergeared at 35s. i'd do 4.56. add some gussets to the Cs and call it a day. maybe just maybe chromoly axles.

don't drop another dime into that axle beyond that. no trusses, no sleeves. etc.

for the rear, beyond the regear nothing except again maybe chromoly axles. no trusses, no sleeves.
Street Fighter
AG
I'd just reinforce the C's on the turdy and call it a day.
OE_Ag11
AG
Street Fighter, Why were you going with the 6l90 vs the 4l80, just available gearing or what all are the benefits. I have just started toying with and planning out an engine swap and am leaning toward the LS engines, but haven't decided anything for sure yet. Am still a bit out.
AG
First gear is way better. No bands so its smaller case. Important if you're fitting a passenger drop transfercase. You can tap up/down the shifting if you think you need the manual valve body experience.
OE_Ag11
AG
What about the length of the cases. Since I have a tj have to keep that as short as possible so the driveshaft is still has a decent angle

Strength for both about the same? Also are they any harder to install since I already have a manual tj.
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

What about the length of the cases. Since I have a tj have to keep that as short as possible so the driveshaft is still has a decent angle

Strength for both about the same? Also are they any harder to install since I already have a manual tj.

6l90 is shorter than 4l80. 6l80 is shorter than that if its a real concern

4l80 is a 50 year old design with overdrive and solenoids kluged on there. 6L80/90 is a way more advanced design, though I hear they cant assemble them worth a damn so cheap unfireable union labor will generate some horror stories
Tx95Ag
AG
Thanks!

Any shop recommendations around Katy for the gears?
Street Fighter
AG
Tx95Ag said:

Thanks!

Any shop recommendations around do great work.

Go to Brave Motorsports for that, they do great work.

BRAVE Motorsports - 713.896.8559
4416 Steffani Lane
Houston, TX 77041
Street Fighter
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

Street Fighter, Why were you going with the 6l90 vs the 4l80, just available gearing or what all are the benefits. I have just started toying with and planning out an engine swap and am leaning toward the LS engines, but haven't decided anything for sure yet. Am still a bit out.
Everything Robert said, plus the engine builder I am using builds out and programs 6L90s to complement the engine and purpose, no junk yard take out. More money, but no need to skimp after going this far IMHO.
OE_Ag11
AG
Gotcha. Can they be programmed with earlier engines, or do they really need to match the same generation? (IE LQ4/LQ9 vs the L92 those transmissions come with)

I was thinking if I really wanted to take my time and work some more and can get a good enough deal where it makes sense (like Complaints post above) trying to get rid of a project thats half way done and build out the engine myself. like turning that 6.0 into a 408 stroker. But running engines just seem to be some much now that it would be hard to buy one of those, do the mods and come out costing not that much under the cost of a built crate engine. But I might just be looking in the wrong places, as I said i have just started toying with these ideas and am trying to get an idea of the costs.

If I go through with all of this I would be looking at doing most of the work myself. But putting the newer generation stuff with all the computers that need to talk back and forth worry me a little. And then keeping it tied in the the TJ stuff so all the airbags and stock stuff works, as well as still passing inspection and such.
Street Fighter
AG
From what I understand, the 6L80/90s are only compatible with gen 4 and 5 LS and LT engines and their CANBUS networks. You should be able be able to find an engine transmission pull out combo for a reasonable price.
OE_Ag11
AG
That will also make some difficulties swapping into a TJ or not really anymore?

What other transmission options do I really have if i stick with a Gen3 motor? didnt know if there was a good manual or not (seen mixed reviews on the T56) since I sort of do like mine and was looking at the manual 4l80 conversion. was also planning on keeping my rubi transfercase for now as well.
Street Fighter
AG
I think the 4L60 is the only GM auto that will work with the 241OR due to the 23 spline input shaft, so keep that in mind.
OE_Ag11
AG
Novak does have one but the rear output shaft of the trans has to be replaced because they are the 23 spline vs the 32. If I'm rebuilding or ordering the 4l80 then wouldnt be too bad since the parts are out there and would already have it open/being built.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission-to-transfer-case/4l80e-to/kit-4l81/

for cost sake I might be better just staying with a manual, which I dont mind. At least save some money instead of having to do lots of transmission mods and such at first. I don't do much extreme crawling yet but will keep moving up. What all good manual trans options are there? Most don't have a OD which is a killer for a DD.
Street Fighter
AG

I've always admired Kelso's rig.
Street Fighter
AG

Another that inspired my build.
Street Fighter
AG
OE_Ag11
AG
I saw the red Brave jeep driving around over by city center. It is a nice looking keep.
longeryak
The Wrangler sales jumped 58% in April moving nearly 30K units.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/05/01/porsche-jeep-subaru-toyota/569032002/

EDIT- Looks like that is versus last year's April sale as the March numbers were within 10% of that.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/04/top-20-best-selling-suvs-in-america-march-2018/

Looks like the Wrangler is out selling the Toyota Tacoma by nearly 40%.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/04/top-30-best-selling-vehicles-in-america-march-2018/
longeryak
Jalopnik is reporting April Wrangler sales were only 72 units short of matching Camry sales. That's crazy.

https://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-jeep-wrangler-is-nearly-outselling-the-to-1825738359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.