The LS OBS...5.3 swap into 95 C1500 build thread.

198,843 Views | 677 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Silvy
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best I could get was a 15.2 @ 90 MPH still spinning off the line, my times were all over the place.
BigRobSA
That's what, damn near 2 whole secs off a stock 350 1995 Silvy ?

Not bad.

Plus, in the heat, it'll run several tenths slower. Save it for Nov/Dec racing. Better DA.
Silvy
AG
Since you bring up weather there was also a headwind
BigRobSA
That's where "DA in a bottle" comes in handy, IYKWIM.

NAAAWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Silvy
AG
And I didn't use as much gas as I thought I would on the drive there, I had 3/4 of a tank for all the runs.

I'll post more times up once I get home, maybe the vid will be up by then.
Silvy
AG
1st: 15.78 @ 87 MPH, 2.48 60'
2nd: 15.95 @ 88 MPH 2.71 60'
3rd: 15.47 @ 88 MPH 2.43 60'
4th: 15.24 @ 90 MPH 2.3 60'
5th: 15.62 @ 89 MPH 2.57 60'
6th: 15.55 @ 91 MPH 2.55 60'
7th: 15.65 @ 90 MPH 2.54 60'
BigRobSA
You're leaving a LOT of time on the clock with those60' times.

What track did you go to? You can see how the DA effected your times by seeing what the DA was when you ran and use any of the 11ty-threeve calculators online to show you what you'd have done in better weather, etc.

But, yeah, you need better tires or maybe even a little weight over the rears to hook better.
sts7049
AG
put a bag of mulch in the bed?
Silvy
AG
That wouldn't pass tech lols

It was out in Sealy at LMP, I'll probably never go back there long drive, I didn't like their setup having to put EVERY tire through the water box and the other guys who go to the strip more than I said it was slick. I believe it was on my 6th run when I hit 2nd gear my ass end broke loose and came around a good bit to the right before it straightened back out...I hope someone got that on tape haha

I just checked my old time slips...consistent 2.38 60'. The ole 350 didn't have traction issues haha

[This message has been edited by silverado_lover (edited 7/8/2012 10:49a).]
Silvy
AG
What say ye of drag radials? I read a little bit and it seems to be a bad idea to run street tires up front and full on slicks out back if you plan on trapping anything over 100 MPH.

The Mickey Thompson's ET's come 28" and 30"...what would be the better size to run? My PCM is tuned for my 29" tars but I would think 28" would be the better choice for gearing reasons. I found some wheels the same style as mine in 15x10 for cheapo.
BigRobSA
Smallest DR's that'll fit. TBSS's will run 17's for best gearing with good DR's on them. Can cut .3 off just with the 17", let alone DR's.

No, you do NOT want full slicks. You're not a nitro-meth pro-stock truck.
Silvy
AG
Waitwat? Smallest tires or smallest wheels? With DR's do you have to warm them up or just a quick spin to knock the crap off?

Thanks for the pro bro tips
BigRobSA
Smallest rims, with a good, wide set of DRs. Rims need to clear your brake rotors/drums.

Yes, you will roll through the waterbox, then warm them up to get stickier.
Silvy
AG
Oh yeah 15's for sure, IIRC the MT ET Streets I was looking at were 12.5" wide. A dude on CL (big ben lols) is selling 4 15x10 D Windows for $80...hopefully he'd be willing to sell just two.
BigRobSA
Get all 4. Have 2 prs at the ready.

Why?

BecauseRaceTruck!

Silvy
AG
Each DR is $226 before shipping
BigRobSA
Gawd Dang!

Then, get some Nitto streetmeat. I had their 420S on all 4 corners on the FailBlazer. Even in the snow...LOL!

Basically street drags, but I'm sure that in the last 3 yrs, that they have made newer ones. 1ags probably knows off the top of his head.</1ags signal.jpg>
Silvy
AG
I've searched and searched and haven't found a street tire that's both tall and wide enough, I can find them tall and skinny or short and fat.

The tallest tire that's wide enough was a 295/45/15 which was 27.xx"
Silvy
AG
The dude with the wheels just emailed me, he'll do all 4 for $60

[This message has been edited by silverado_lover (edited 7/9/2012 11:41a).]
BigRobSA
Take all 4.

Silvy
AG
DAT WIDTH
hatchback
Silvy
AG
Picking them up tomorrow
moore42
AG
quote:
I read a little bit and it seems to be [bold]a bad idea to run street tires up front and full on slicks out back[/bold] if you plan on trapping anything over 100 MPH.

I'm confused. I have never seen anyone run DR's up front, only in the rear. Run some skinnys up front, low weight and low rolling resistance.

Now, on the some of the smarter vehicles, you have to be careful. Like the tundra, if you put a different size tire front and rear, even with the nanny's off, it freaks the VSC out at speeds over 100 mph for different wheel speeds, and cuts fuel/power. So most of the SC guys who are trapping over 100 mph have to be careful with this when selecting F/R tires, or just pull the VSC fuse.

[This message has been edited by moore42 (edited 7/9/2012 1:27p).]
Silvy
AG
quote:

I'm confused. I have never seen anyone run DR's up front, only in the rear. Run some skinnys up front, low weight and low rolling resistance.

Now, on the some of the smarter vehicles, you have to be careful. Like the tundra, if you put a different size tire front and rear, even with the nanny's off, it freaks the VSC out at speeds over 100 mph for different wheel speeds, and cuts fuel/power. So most of the SC guys who are trapping over 100 mph have to be careful with this when selecting F/R tires, or just pull the VSC fuse.

[This message has been edited by moore42 (edited 7/9/2012 1:27p).]

No need to run DRs up front as long as it isn't an AWD that needs serious traction. Having radials (of any kind) up front keeps the tires planted on the ground but if you have slicks in the back due to their construction will have alot of sway in them at high speeds especially if the PSI is relatively low. So what happens is the ass end gets squirrely and the driver tries to correct and at high speeds it's not hard to overcorrect and send yourself into the wall.

Good thing I don't have a "smart" vehicle
BigRobSA
AWD TBSS'/SRT8 JGC have run DRs on all 4 corners. That's the only time (AWD) when you'd want to run a DR up front.

Silvy
AG
Think a 325/50/15 will be wide enough?
moore42
AG
Yeah I knew awd would need it but its a chebby truck we are talking about. idk, silvy's post was confusing...
Silvy
AG
Confusing to anyone who isn't a "professional" driver
moore42
AG
Says the guy that couldnt even get because_racetruck into the 14's....
CATAGBQ04
AG
AND thought he had water in his oil when it was just low...
Silvy
AG
quote:
AND thought he had water in his oil when it was just low...

I WAS DRNK DAMMIT

And Moore I never specified what exactly I'm a professional driver in
Silvy
AG
Wheels are in my possession, probably the smoothest Craigslist transaction ever. He rolled up, unloaded wheels out of Jeep, I gave him the cash, wheels went in my bed, and we left, all in about a minute.
hatchback
AG
That's smoother than my Craigslist transaction went yesterday; he brought a 100 less than we agreed to and my wife wasnt happy. Went back out and told him if he couldn't do the original price that he needed to leave. We ended up splittling the difference and settled. Some guys are just crazy about bright blue VW Beetles.

Damn, some people are terrible to deal with.
Silvy
AG
I got the wheels for $15 each...I couldn't stoop low enough to haggle on that price hahaha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.