Houston
Sponsored by

bad weather coming tomorrow

366,044 Views | 2494 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by RC_57
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Just read this Conroe dam story yesterday. It's a few years old, but talks about the issues with creeks below the dam - Spring, Lake, etc.

http://m.yourhoustonnews.com/archives/flood-of-history-could-repeat-itself/article_e26745ff-92a0-5bbd-97c0-749b27290af8.html?mode=jqm

This is exactly what is happening again with this flood. The folks at the dam are limiting releases and letting the lake rise some. It's the water pouring in out of Lake Creek that is wrecking hell on the West Fork right now. Even still, there is a limit to how much they can let Lake Conroe rise. The lake was never designed for flood control. It was designed as a water supply reservoir and does not have significant flood storage above conservation pool. Letting the lake rise even a few feet will cause flooding of structures along the lake. The dam operators have very strict protocols in place and they do not deviate from them. IF the book says release X when the lake reaches Y then they do. There are undoubtedly caveats for downstream flows, but there comes a point they MUST let the water go, for the safety of the dam. Conservation poo is 201 feet. The top of the dam is 212 ft, and when the gates are closed their top is ONLY 202.5 ft!
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Also the flooding from 94 had more to do with improper management of the Conroe damn.
Care to elaborate? I hear a lot blamed on dam operators in general, but I frequently don't think folks have a clue what they're talking about...

I'd like to hear
Most common rumor is the guy in charge of the dam was out of town hunting and the guy that was left there got a phone call from a rich guy on the lake that his house was about to flood. "Operator" opened the dam without coordinating downstream. The rivers down stream and were already at flood stage. When the water from the dam joined those rivers there were entire houses completely under water.

According to the article linked by someone else SJRA categorically denies that. I'm sure people that don't want to believe big govt will dismiss that, but whatever. Folks that manage these large damns don't just leave them on autopilot or leave a set of instructions for the janitors.
Dan Scott
AG
Do you guys remember this wow

redag06
Of course they would deny it. The sudden release of water in 94 instead of a release over time, like we have now says otherwise!
Kenneth_2003
AG
The gage data is all archived. Go get the numbers post them here and prove your hypothesis.
Bonfired
AG
I didn't see this particular report, but I remember hearing about it...I was at A&M then. This happened in October and it was an incredibly wet few days. Bonfire started to lean over and had to be taken down and rebuilt that fall because the Polo Field was so wet (Bonfire burned early that year because we played Texas on November 5...pretty sure it burned on Thursday the 3rd).
Waffledynamics
AG
Lake Houston flooded up in Kingwood. For anyone familiar with the area, the water apparently flooded West Lake Houston Parkway and other surrounding places very badly, up to the YMCA. A friend of mine was livestreaming herself walking through it. Crazy stuff.
OnlyForNow
AG
We lived just north of Shanendoa in Conroe but moves two weeks before the flood (moved to Montgomery). The problem is that water HAS to be let out of Conroe, and folks downstream suffer the effects of living in the 100-yr floodplain.

I'm not sure how far outside of the FP the water got in 94 though.
htownag10
AG
This was gosling at spring creek bridge this morning. You wouldn't know a creek is down there unless you stuck your head over the bridge on a normal day.

This was 45 looking east by grace church on Saturday.

The Wonderer
AG
Inbound from DFW. Can anyone tell me the status of 45 and/or roads into magnolia from BCS?
lawless89
quote:
Inbound from DFW. Can anyone tell me the status of 45 and/or roads into magnolia from BCS?

I'd take 45 to 1488. I know several people that went from Houston area to Dallas and had no issue on 45. 105 probably still has problems.
OnlyForNow
AG
105 never had any issues ( that I know of).

Most of the flooding in counties around Montgomery/grimes has subsided. That's just a factor of spring creek and lake Conroe going down.

The Brazos isn't going to effect that area.
The Wonderer
AG
came down 6/105/1774/249. No water anywhere.
Post removed:
by user
spadilly
S
Ag13
AG
quote:

Rip aggie baseball regional and free press.
Aggielandma12
AG
So we should anticipate maybe 20% of the forecasted totals.
sts7049
AG
free press was moved to NRG
spider96
AG
quote:

Bondag
AG
quote:
The gage data is all archived. Go get the numbers post them here and prove your hypothesis.
I am not going to go through 22 year old data, but I can say family that flooded in 94 was spared under similar circumstances this time.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:

I'm glad I mowed yesterday.
zgood10
AG
Clients in town from North Africa will get the full Houston experience this week
htownag10
AG
Prepare your anus guys

/insert gif
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
jetch17
AG
Leaving for a week in Port Aransas on Friday in what is supposed to be my 1 week a year of beach, beveraging and floating my lazy ass in the pool without a GD care in the world

RK
AG
that makes me happy for some reason.
jetch17
AG
sorry
CDUB98
AG
johnrth
If Frankie calls it, It must be serious!!!

"Order your Pizzas and Chinese food now!"
Al Bula
AG
quote:
If Frankie calls it, It must be serious!!!

Did he stifle a burp at 55 seconds?!
Javelina
65532ag
Ag_07
AG
Current radar

All moving E/NE
CDUB98
AG
Spotted on the ship channel this morning!!

CDUB98
AG
These will help clear up traffic on I-45.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.