Houston
Sponsored by

bad weather coming tomorrow

360,052 Views | 2494 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RC_57
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
just walked barkers dam at buffalo bayou and HWY6, looks to be about half way up. Gates closed waiting for downstream to chill out. Walked down to the bayou via fleetwood and it is at normal levels. Pretty much 0 flooding in fleetwood on monday other than some slight street flooding due to blocked storm drains. Basically it will take a catastrophic fail of the dam gates or earth to flood my neighborhood considering we got 10inches in one night.

now if we get 10inches in one night before they can start releasing water you will see me GTFO very very quickly.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Looks like some rain tonight and then it'll be dry until Monday. Time for everything to drain.

Most likely nothing will happen, but they've got to drain Ad****s to reopen 6. That's going to kill my commute for weeks.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
With the election this year, that could become the poster child for "America's crumbling infrastructure."
Oh boy, I can't wait to be a poster child for Hillary and the Donald to blame each other over.
AlaskanAg99
AG
HCFCD just issued a release that Bear Creek Village (just east of 6 and north of Clay ) is beginning to flood from Ad****s overflow. Perimeter homes are the most at risk and roads may be impassable for the next few days.
Ag_07
AG
So is this a bad situation or not?

One on here says it is then someone else says it's not. Then one says it is and the next says it's not.

Do we know anything for certain or are we all just guessing?
Bondag
AG
If the walls fail it is very very bad. If they do not a few 40 year old houses will get remodeled.

If you live North of Park Row on Hwy 6 your commute is ****ed for the next 2 months.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
If they don't release everything west will continue to flood
If they release before downstream has drained then east will flood.

htxag09
AG
quote:
Do we know anything for certain or are we all just guessing?

I think you know the answer to this...
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I guess it was obvious but I requested confirmation from USGS regarding what the gage values actually represent. This was their response:

Yes. To verify that information, from the Originating page URL inquiry, select "Summary of All Available Data" in the pull-down menu for "Available data for this site". Information about the reference datum can be found under "Description": "Datum of gage: 00 feet above NAVD88"; where NAVD88 is the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 (commonly called mean sea level of 1988).

So the depth of the Bayou and dam reservoirs is actually reported against mean sea level in 1988 (go figure). Hence the Bayou at HW6 showing around 56ft when I could walk across it! (not today I might add) It also explains media hysteria over the dam depth at present. It's really only about 10-15ft deep at present (above 'normal' levels). Not 60 as mentioned by the media.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
An update is the Corps anticipates initiating releases from Ad****s and Barkers reservoirs within the next 24-48 hours, based on favorable weather conditions. Release rates and downstream conditions will be monitored to minimize impacts downstream. There are no foreseen impacts to residential structures due to releases from the dams.

Without Division Engineer approval, the maximum allowable release from both reservoirs, combined with the uncontrolled runoff downstream, is 4,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) at the Piney Point Road gauging station, located 10.7 channel miles below Barker Dam. Ad****s Dam has a maximum discharge capacity of 7,852 cfs and Barker Dam 8,734 cfs.

As of early this morning, the Ad****s Reservoir has reached elevation 102.07', 90.7% of its government-owned land storage capacity is occupied and 58% of the total reservoir capacity occupied. The Barker Reservoir has reached elevation of 94.79', 97% of its government-owned land storage capacity occupied and 38.4% of the total reservoir capacity occupied. It is expected that both will rise by a foot or two if no additional rain occurs.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
To reiterate
The dams are closed and are not releasing water until downstream is good. They project 24-48 hours if no major rain and the will release a combined 4000cfs down buffalo from both dams
FHKChE07
AG
If you read the Dam Master Plan at http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Missions/DamSafetyProgram.aspx, you can get most of this info.

These heights are NAVD 2001

Currently, the water level behind the Dam is at 102.28 feet.
HWY 6 is at 96.16 feet not 56 feet.
It starts backing back up in to neighborhoods at 103.20 feet. That is when it gets out of the government owned land. Currently, that is another 12,000 acre feet of water to add.
shano0603
AG
Is anyone in the Gosling/99 area? Or at least know about the conditions... Going up there later today and I'm trying to figure out which way I need to go.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Is anyone in the Gosling/99 area? Or at least know about the conditions... Going up there later today and I'm trying to figure out which way I need to go.
It's clear.
Texaggie7nine
quote:

Was on Gosling last night. Went over to Kuykendal to 99 to 45. Saw traffic going towards 290 as well.
7nine
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

Was on Gosling last night. Went over to Kuykendal to 99 to 45. Saw traffic going towards 290 as well.
What were you doing up in my next of the woods? I think I'm heading down to your's in a little bit to watch the Rockets lose again.
shano0603
AG
quote:
quote:
It's clear.
Appreciate it...I no longer have to "Wonder."
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:

What were you doing up in my next of the woods? I think I'm heading down to your's in a little bit to watch the Rockets lose again.
Helping the GF drop some international visitors off from the airport.

I'm headed to Toyota center to watch em lose.
7nine
drummer0415
AG

2100 sqft of laminate and 2 bedrooms worth of carpet ruined from flooding Monday.
OnlyForNow
AG
That Blows dead bears dude.
El Mero Guero
Sorry to hear that drummer.

On the bright side, at least your driveway should be good for another year or so.

jk (ours is just as bad if not worse)
Biz Ag
AG
Just saw on Channel 13 that water is now being released from the Barker Reservoir.
Scruffy
AG
Need more pics of the chick to decide if that's the only "flooding damage" that should have occurred.
Buck O Five
AG

quote:

wood

Mr. McGibblets
AG
Scruffy
AG
quote:

Look at the shoes. That's not her ass.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Need more pics of the chick to decide if that's the only "flooding damage" that should have occurred.
nm. Too much.
kubiak03
AG
I thought butt as well until the shoes
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Shoes?
Scruffy
AG
quote:
quote:
If you wreck that *****, does it count as flood damage?

If it'll get me a new couch, dinner table, mattress, la-z-boy, coffee table, and flooring; I hope so.
drummer0415
AG
Lol that's definitely her front in the picture.

And I should have known that nothing gets by you guys.
agdaddy04
AG
Flight cancelled so now I can't get back until 3pm tomorrow. Is it that bad still? Wife said it cleared up.
MelvinUdall
quote:
Lol that's definitely her front in the picture.

And I should have known that nothing gets by you guys.

Given all you have been through, glad to see you are in good spirits.
I Play With Guns
S
You're stuck in Chicago, enjoy the hell out of that! <333
InnerCityAg
quote:
I thought butt as well until the shoes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.