Aggieland
Sponsored by

Local Restaurant Review / Discussion (2026)

192,952 Views | 1055 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by FlyRod
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hornbeck said:

TXAG 05 said:

ag979 said:

We tried Javi's Saturday night. To summarize it, I wasn't very impressed.

The service was very sub-par, but I don't hold that against them too much knowing it is first weekend and they are working out the kinks.

I thought the food was very "okay." In my opinion, it's not even comparable to Gringo's. Wife enjoyed her enchiladas, but mine were very average. The Margarita was good, might have even had two if they ever came back around and asked if I wanted another (they did not).

The thing that I couldn't figure out is what demo they are trying to hit. The menu prices reflect a typical chain-restaurant experience ($15-$25/plate), but the decor, ambiance, staff attire, vibe they are trying to portray reflects a place that should be 30-$50/plate. The whole experience was odd to me, maybe it is something that works better in East Texas.

The largest turn off for us was the place just didn't feel "clean." Maybe it is the white floors where every crumb and table wipe-off shows up, but our experience wasn't conducive of us going back anytime soon. We might give it another shot later in the fall, but for now our allegiance will still be to Gringo's for sit-down Tex-Mex/Mexican food.

Hope others have a better experience though!

It's a Mexican food restaurant from NE Texas, how good could it really be? Might as well be from Dallas


This. Those folks in Tyler put squeeze butter in their salsa…


This should be a thing. Screw "No seed oils," restaurants need to proclaim "No squeeze butter."
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to Javi's Sunday. Sat at the bar cause it was busy.

I def want to go again. I didn't find food to be priced bad at all. I split fajitas with a friend ($20). Carne Asada. Had good flavor. Fajitas don't come with beans, but they came with rice and then an asparagus/spinach/corn concoction.

Margaritas started at either $8 or $8.50. I got the one that was $1 more for a little better tequila. Their bar brand is Sauza which is fine.

Had 2 salsas. One had a little kick which I did like.

I am more of a happy hour person, so like I like going to Mas Fajitas on Wednesday nights because they have $3 margaritas. But I would go back to Javi's.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The squeeze butter is meant to be put on your tortillas. Which are provided for free in Tyler with the chips and salsa.
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiePhil said:

The squeeze butter is meant to be put on your tortillas. Which are provided for free in Tyler with the chips and salsa.


Why then, do you see people at like every table squeezing it into their salsa?!?!

<barf emoji>
Gator92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed update! Gonna stick with Frida's for the time being. Always. preferred Mex-Mex to Tex-Mex but I do miss Ninfa's.

Maria Mia is Ninfa's. They rebranded the location. Still a Ninfa family restaurant. I've been several times when in town. It's never crowded and that's a shame. Enchiladas Verdes is my favorite.

Although, it was sad that when I ordered. They asked if I wanted chicken or carnitas...
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gator92 said:

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed update! Gonna stick with Frida's for the time being. Always. preferred Mex-Mex to Tex-Mex but I do miss Ninfa's.

Maria Mia is Ninfa's. They rebranded the location. Still a Ninfa family restaurant. I've been several times when in town. It's never crowded and that's a shame. Enchiladas Verdes is my favorite.

Although, it was sad that when I ordered. They asked if I wanted chicken or carnitas...

Not exactly true. There is a family connection between the Laurenzo family that used to own Ninfa's and the Rodriguez family that owns Maria Mia. Maria Mia moved here from the San Antonio riverwalk. Laurenzo family now owns El Tiempo restaurants in Houston. Maria Mia does use some of the family recipes, but the menu is totally different from a Ninfa's. Most Ninfa's are now corporate owned, but there are a few independent operators, like in Waco.

However, Maria Mia is great.
Gator92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The enchiladas verdes is the same. Default w/ carnitas. Just like Ninfa's.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got takeout from the oddly named Yumori Asian fusion place in Westgate...same strip as Aroma and RR Pinoy. It was excellent. I ordered glass noodles with pork, madras eggplant curry, and s couple steamed pork buns. The pork buns had that old school red bbq pork, and the other dishes were smoky in a good way. Will definitely order again.
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Much of the menu is the same. So are the margaritas.
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiePhil said:

The squeeze butter is meant to be put on your tortillas. Which are provided for free in Tyler with the chips and salsa.

No, it's an east Texas thing to squeeze butter into the salsa.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JMac03 said:

Much of the menu is the same. So are the margaritas.


I think you could say that about most tex mex places.
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Try the crawfish enchiladas at Maria Mia's- life changing

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Brazos Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will say, the Carne Guisada (spicy) that I've gotten from Maria Mia has not been the same as when they first opened up. I used to tear into a plate and clean it. Now I barely eat half, get the rest to go then "might" have it a day later… or simply toss it out.

When they first opened up, the flavor was identical to Ninfa's. I'm not sure if it's the beef supplier has changed or some other ingredient change. Looks exactly as it always has but there's something amiss IMO.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAG 05 said:

AggiePhil said:

The squeeze butter is meant to be put on your tortillas. Which are provided for free in Tyler with the chips and salsa.

No, it's an east Texas thing to squeeze butter into the salsa.

IDK, maybe so. But I'm from Tyler and never saw that back in my day. Haven't lived there since the 90s though. I still remember before the squeeze butter, we got the little paper pats of butter on the table to eat with the chips and tortillas. Monterey House, baby!!!
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Butter and corn tortillas were staples at Panchos. If you needed more, raise the flag!
Dr. Watr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do we bring ponchos back to the area?
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dr. Watr said:

How do we bring ponchos back to the area?

I have 3 left from vacation. I drove through the Tropical Storm.


Here's another poncho. Premium board is crucifying it because letters are too big. They think a whorn owns the company.

https://maroonu.com/poncho-hullabaloo-texas-a-m-short-sleeve-shirt/?searchid=230691&search_query=poncho


stay low boys. keep those feet moving. go be perfect.

- chavez (fnl)
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Y'all aren't getting enough loose movement from Taco Bell?
Dr. Watr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am going tonight. Thank you for the rec.
Dr. Watr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

Got takeout from the oddly named Yumori Asian fusion place in Westgate...same strip as Aroma and RR Pinoy. It was excellent. I ordered glass noodles with pork, madras eggplant curry, and s couple steamed pork buns. The pork buns had that old school red bbq pork, and the other dishes were smoky in a good way. Will definitely order again.


So this place does not exist as a brick and mortar store. I ended up ordering off of door dash.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

Y'all aren't getting enough loose movement from Taco Bell?

Let me know when we get a live cyclospora case in Brazos Valley.

...that being said, disappointing there's only Taco Bell as far as fast-food Mexican goes. No, I'm not going to Taco Casa nine miles away.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

Y'all aren't getting enough loose movement from Taco Bell?

Let me know when we get a live cyclospora case in Brazos Valley.

...that being said, disappointing there's only Taco Bell as far as fast-food Mexican goes. No, I'm not going to Taco Casa nine miles away.

We enjoy Taco Casa being a little over a mile away.
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mojo? Rosa's?

I miss Costa Vida.
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not fast food but Don Chente has a drive-thru and is super quick.
Omperlodge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Taco Bueno would kill it here. It is like Taco Bell with quality control.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

Y'all aren't getting enough loose movement from Taco Bell?

Let me know when we get a live cyclospora case in Brazos Valley.

...that being said, disappointing there's only Taco Bell as far as fast-food Mexican goes. No, I'm not going to Taco Casa nine miles away.

What's wrong with long time staple Pepe's?
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did we used have one on Villa Maria (an incredibly longtime ago)? I feel like one of those buildings across from HEB look just like a Taco Bueno.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look Out Below said:

Did we used have one on Villa Maria (an incredibly longtime ago)? I feel like one of those buildings across from HEB look just like a Taco Bueno.


That was Taco Villa.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
johnnyblaze36 said:

PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

Y'all aren't getting enough loose movement from Taco Bell?

Let me know when we get a live cyclospora case in Brazos Valley.

...that being said, disappointing there's only Taco Bell as far as fast-food Mexican goes. No, I'm not going to Taco Casa nine miles away.

What's wrong with long time staple Pepe's?

1. It's still too far away if I'm not in that part of town.
2. It does the "credit card fee" thing that every other business in town has gotten flogged on here for.
3. I may just monumentally unlucky, but the service sucks. Every single time I go they're out of something like the fruit burritos, or the fish tacos, or they'll screw up the order. One time they straight up missed half my order (like, no chips, no rice, no lettuce, no second taco, etc.), and while they did re-make it, it was another 10 minutes, I didn't even get to keep the half-order.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Fruit burrito"?
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

"Fruit burrito"?

Yeah.

woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gator92 said:

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed update! Gonna stick with Frida's for the time being. Always. preferred Mex-Mex to Tex-Mex but I do miss Ninfa's.

Maria Mia is Ninfa's. They rebranded the location. Still a Ninfa family restaurant. I've been several times when in town. It's never crowded and that's a shame. Enchiladas Verdes is my favorite.

Although, it was sad that when I ordered. They asked if I wanted chicken or carnitas...

Maria Mia is not a a Ninfa family restaurant. Mario branched off from the Ninfa's and is on his own. Some of the dishes are still there,
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
johnnyblaze36 said:

PS3D said:

maroon barchetta said:

Y'all aren't getting enough loose movement from Taco Bell?

Let me know when we get a live cyclospora case in Brazos Valley.

...that being said, disappointing there's only Taco Bell as far as fast-food Mexican goes. No, I'm not going to Taco Casa nine miles away.

What's wrong with long time staple Pepe's?

Ate at the Pepe's on Dominik quite a few times when one was there.
Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I'm going to go against the majority about Javi's. We went for dinner last Saturday and had a very good experience. I think it will only get better as the staff learns their jobs. I liked it much better than Gringo's, at least the ones in Houston. I've never tried the Gringo's here.

My husband and I tried Nova Eatery for lunch today. Again, a very good meal. We talked to the owner for a few minutes. In about two weeks he is going to be able to expand the hours and they will be open for lunch every day. I hope he's successful. That's the kind of small business I love to support. I'd much rather go to a "Mom and Pop" place like Nova Eatery than a chain restaurant.
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WhileI know it doesn't help new places survive - but my rule is never go to a new restaurant before the 6 week mark. Ya need a shakeout cruise to get it right.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.