BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

573,034 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood1 said:

Whatabuger coming to near Target Center and in Caldwell. Dominik new store facing Texas Ave scheduled to begin build in Feb.

What?
bcstx06
Broncos said:

woodiewood1 said:

Whatabuger coming to near Target Center and in Caldwell. Dominik new store facing Texas Ave scheduled to begin build in Feb.

What?

I think what woodiewood1 is saying is that there will be a new Whataburger built near the Bryan Boonville Rd Target. The little town of Caldwell is getting a Whataburger.
And the Dominik Whataburger is finally getting rebuilt to face Texas Ave.

All great news! West Bryan also needs a Whataburger. And Whatever happened to Chick-fil-A's plans for the Old Bryan location and the new West Bryan location? And the whole Walmart reimagined plan for the Briarcrest Walmart?

Is it just me or does it seem like retail development announcements have significantly slowed down lately?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Frost Bank is building a new location next to the Chick fil a in south CS.

A place called Gr8 laundry recently opened near Gumby's by the mall.
Ajollyag
bcstx06 said:

Broncos said:

woodiewood1 said:

What?

I think what woodiewood1 is saying is that there will be a new Whataburger built near the Bryan Boonville Rd Target. The little town of Caldwell is getting a Whataburger.

All great news! West Bryan also needs a Whataburger. And Whatever happened to Chick-fil-A's plans for the Old Bryan location and the new West Bryan location? And the whole Walmart reimagined plan for the Briarcrest Walmart?

Is it just me or does it seem like retail development announcements have significantly slowed down lately?

Probably because nelson has put all his time, effort, and money into this dumb superpark thing
AgProgrammer
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Frost Bank is building a new location next to the Chick fil a in south CS.

A place called Gr8 laundry recently opened near Gumby's by the mall.
Is Frost Bank what is coming in next to the convenience store (next to Whataburger)? I noticed they are doing some pretty serious dirt work on the small lot between that convenience store and Tad's.
ChampsAg
CFA on Briarcrest will close I believe in April for the rebuild. Open in October I think.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
ChampsAg said:

CFA on Briarcrest will close I believe in April for the rebuild. Open in October I think.

Busy as that place is, that's a helluva profit loss for 6 months
AG
Not at all unusual for fast food. Recall McDonald's in the Tejas Center did this, also Taco Bell on Harvey IIRC.
trouble
AG
Jack in the box in Bryan did it earlier this year and now the one in CS is as well.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Late 80's, the pizza hut on S 10th in McAllen was the #1 Hut in Texas. They turned over every seat 5+ times/day 7 days/week.

Instead of losing 6 or 8 tables to remodel (add 16 tables) they bought the land next door on 10th street for a cool million and built a brand new store. Were closed 24 hours on a Monday to bulldoze and pave the old location. By Wednesday or Thursday it was as if the old store was never there

Current day Chickfila's turn more dollars/day than McD's & JackBx combined...... but I'm sure they have bean counters that can figure out whats best economically. Construction is a corporate, not local, decision and my understanding financed entirely by corporate.

Hopefully employees are cycled through the other locations for those 6 months. My guess is that they have been considered.
AG
I'm shocked it will take 6 months. Most tear-down rebuilds are 3-4 months max. They have it down to an art.
ChampsAg
From my conversation most employees will work at other local locations while managers will have the opportunity to travel to help other stores.

And it may actually be February not April. I need to ask again
snaglepuss
ChampsAg said:

From my conversation most employees will work at other local locations while managers will have the opportunity to travel to help other stores.

And it may actually be February not April. I need to ask again
I thought I heard January or February. Also that they own the lot where the Wal-mart gas pumps are and they will use that in the rebuild.
Ajollyag
bcstx06 said:

Broncos said:

woodiewood1 said:

What?

Where are we seeing that whataburger is being built in bryan target area? Not seeing it on city of bryan website. Or is this just a rumor like the heb on boonville and university?
Belton Ag
AG
JMac03 said:

I'm shocked it will take 6 months. Most tear-down rebuilds are 3-4 months max. They have it down to an art.
Isn't that whole corner being redeveloped, though? They may have to wait for a bunch of other construction to finish up.
bcstx06
ajolly said:

bcstx06 said:

Broncos said:

woodiewood1 said:

What?

Where are we seeing that whataburger is being built in bryan target area? Not seeing it on city of bryan website. Or is this just a rumor like the heb on boonville and university?

Well the site development list for next week comes out tomorrow we will see if it's on there. Or maybe it is an announcement within Whataburger that is yet to be released. I think the East Bryan HEB plan is a longterm plan that just hasn't been made official yet.
bushytailed
AG
Tilted Pint coming to bryan on Boonville. No open date, just "coming soon".

https://m.facebook.com/tiltedpint/

JMac03
AG
I may have missed it, but anyone know what's being built next to the Exxon on corner of Fitch and 6, between it and the seafood place (if that ever even will open - it seems to have halted construction). Land is being cleared. It's the lot immediately next to Exxon.
MS08
AG
Commercial strip center with a few pad sites if I recall correctly. Kind of like what was done on Longmire where the Zoners is just not quite to that scale.

Been awhile since I checked up on what the latest on it is though. Did see that they were moving dirt
JMac03
AG
MS08 said:

Commercial strip center with a few pad sites if I recall correctly. Kind of like what was done on Longmire where the Zoners is just not quite to that scale.

Been awhile since I checked up on what the latest on it is though. Did see that they were moving dirt

I looked closer today, they are doing a lot of trenching and digging pretty deep for the foundation. Kind of shocking for a strip area - its not overly large but should be interesting. Thanks for the info.
techno-ag
AG
JMac03 said:

MS08 said:

I looked closer today, they are doing a lot of trenching and digging pretty deep for the foundation. Kind of shocking for a strip area - its not overly large but should be interesting. Thanks for the info.
For engineered foundations these days, with our soil, they do go deep.
waltonloads11
AG
bcstx06 said:

Broncos said:

woodiewood1 said:

What?

I am also getting anxious for the CFA at the West Bryan location. A Whataburger there would also be nice, or just more food options in general. Hopefully as more residential homes gets built there, the demand will also increase.
toolshed
AG
Likely rerouting or dealing with the drainage that used to run through the ditch there. Also, if the area was filled with pools from construction of the convenience store or Lowe's, they'd want to remove that waste and go back with stabilized soil as mentioned to reduce movement issues.

I know of one new strip center just west if there that's not more than 3-4 years old and the building is shifting pretty badly, in multiple directions. It's a stupid shortcut to save a buck and pay for it in the long run.
CN
I heard second (probably even third) hand that Sweet Eugene's is going in near the Lowe's on Fitch.
RNAggie
AG
ASAs in moving or opening a 2nd location??
CN
RNAggie said:

ASAs in moving or opening a 2nd location??
Didn't specify but I took it to mean a second location. The person who told me heard it from a commercial realtor. I don't know this person well so I can't say whether they're a reliable source but I could see how their line of work would give them access to people in the know in the goings on around town.
Captn_Ag05
AG
bcstx06 said:

In other news, it looks like a 4 story hotel is being planned across the freeway from Premiere Cinema and Kroger. I believe it's a Comfort Inn & Suites.

Site plans submitted to the city of Bryan confirm that it is a Comfort Inn & Suites.
halibut sinclair
Hyatt hotels website says the Hyatt House in front of Target in Bryan is now accepting reservations for stays from February 1, 2020 and beyond. I guess it will finally open next year.
AggiePhil
AG
Sadly, Auntie Anne's in the mall appears to have closed.
JayHowdy!
bushytailed said:

Going to be some big time competition for business on Boonville Road with Tilted Pint and The Angry Elephant opening up next to each other.
Ajollyag
JayHowdy! said:

bushytailed said:

Going to be some big time competition for business on Boonville Road with Tilted Pint and The Angry Elephant opening up next to each other.

Two completely different atmospheres. I think they both tank. Odd place to go for a drink, considering how many other great places there are. Not enough development in that area yet to bring in enough people.
Jetty
AG
We can't wait for them to open! There is Nothing like them close to us on the East side!
happyinBCS
I agree
halibut sinclair
ajolly said:

JayHowdy! said:

bushytailed said:

Two completely different atmospheres. I think they both tank. Odd place to go for a drink, considering how many other great places there are. Not enough development in that area yet to bring in enough people.

Disagree. There's a whole bunch of us lowly Bryanites over here on the east side that will enjoy a neighborhood pub or 2. We will frequent both establishments. Both places will also have food. Christopher's does pretty good over here. Also, how do you know what kind of atmosphere these places will have that haven't even opened yet?
rocketscience
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-gene-therapy-facility-coming-to-College-Station-564998342.html

FujiFilm is adding a $55 million facility with about 100 new jobs to its campus by the Stella Hotel. I also remember seeing in a university email from an organization hosting a recruiting session for FujiFilm that they were planning to add two new buildings over the next two years so if that is actually the case here is the first half of that!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.