BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

577,723 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TimsParents said:

I can't even imagine what amount of business would be lost in the amount of time it would take to rebuild that chick Fil a
I'm sure they can afford it and will recover. Chick-Fil-A has the the best business model going today in the fast food industry. pick one item and do it better than anyone else, No matter what time of day it is, they are always crowded and at least 7 cars in the drive thru lanes.
UmustBKidding
The could make their motto "we do chicken right"

Oogway
cajunken said:

TimsParents said:

I can't even imagine what amount of business would be lost in the amount of time it would take to rebuild that chick Fil a
I'm sure the construction crews will be working 24/6 on the project.

But not on Sunday!

Edit-nvrmd, I had a reading fail.
rocketscience
AG
Construction map on Transportation Services website shows the block along university in Century Square in front of Blaze, Hopdoddy, and the green space will start construction later this year.

http://transportmap.tamu.edu/parkingmap/constructionmap.htm
Captn_Ag05
AG
Of course they plan to wait and start construction on September 1. Seems like they could start now and have much of the heavy equipment work out of the way during the summer.

I wonder what the planned height is for that building? 3 stories?
btonto
This map actually shows the new Polo Road Garage on the campus side of University on it, not the Century Square side. This is already under construction.
Captn_Ag05
AG
btonto said:

This map actually shows the new Polo Road Garage on the campus side of University on it, not the Century Square side. This is already under construction.
It shows both the Polo Road Garage and the Century Square Construction. It says Century Square Construction will begin on September 1, 2019.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Most requested retail and restaurant from the Eagle's survey:

https://www.theeagle.com/gallery/business-wish-list-for-bryan-college-station/collection_59a1d908-6857-11e9-ba2c-0b8a2f09d4f4.html?fbclid=IwAR3rM5Ch-3237e8FzUwrrb6bVQWAAICIUV2q5RYQCm0jUcs15aU96FXobvk#1

Lots of demand for entertainment (Dave and Busters, indoor skating rink, go kart, water park, etc.).

Geralt of Rivia
S
Captn_Ag05 said:

Most requested retail and restaurant from the Eagle's survey:

https://www.theeagle.com/gallery/business-wish-list-for-bryan-college-station/collection_59a1d908-6857-11e9-ba2c-0b8a2f09d4f4.html?fbclid=IwAR3rM5Ch-3237e8FzUwrrb6bVQWAAICIUV2q5RYQCm0jUcs15aU96FXobvk#1

Lots of demand for entertainment (Dave and Busters, indoor skating rink, go kart, water park, etc.).

For years I've wondered why Dave and Buster's hasn't expanded here. I used to think the area that BJ's and Chuy's are at now would have been a great spot
BCSWguru
who wants qdoba? lol
Captn_Ag05
AG
In listening to some of the updates from the College Station economic director, they have been hinting for the past year about an indoor entertainment center being interested in the area. In the last interview I heard from April, she named Main Event by name. So, it may be happening sooner rather than later.

With all the summer events (i.e. 7 on 7, softball tournaments, constant new student orientations), it would be nice to have another indoor entertainment option to market to those groups. Plus, I think it would do well throughout the year with students and residents.

Century Square or the old Albertsons area on University would be good potential locations.
australopithecus robustus
Ali with A+ tutoring won't rent that old Albertsons to Main Event because of the parking it would take up. He doesn't want a tenant there that will compete for parking with A+ and he owns the center.... Otherwise yes that would be a good location.

The rent is just too damn high at Century Square for a big space like Main Event in my opinion. Now, the old academy building would be great...
Cyp0111
The old Academy makes a ton of sense and would have a good location.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It would be directly across the highway from Grand Station, which is a similar concept. That is the only hesitation I would have about that location for a Main Event. Would be nice to spread them out a bit.

Plus, I want a Total Wine to move in to the old Academy
Total wine at the old Albertsons and main event at old academy ftw. Although Albertsons is probably too big for a total wine, that would meet Ali's criteria as it wouldn't have the parking intensity of a main event.

Main event right across from Grand Station actually makes a lot of sens not unlike clustering restaurants on main arterials...
Fbuckie
Main Event would be a perfect fit for the second anchor spot behind HEB at Jones Crossing.
mgreen
Went to a lunch with the CS economic Development person this week. She said the owners of both Albertsons and Academy are still getting paid nicely from long term leases and have no intention of leasing again until their current contracts expire several years from now.
That's a good point. Heb still has the lease at the old Albertsons and it makes sense.
EBrazosAg
AG
mgreen said:

Went to a lunch with the CS economic Development person this week. She said the owners of both Albertsons and Academy are still getting paid nicely from long term leases and have no intention of leasing again until their current contracts expire several years from now.
Not that I am for this - I am firmly against imminent domain abuse, etc - but would be interesting to see if any city has ever tried to force a better use of a retail property than the owner just sitting with an empty "box" collecting rent. The argument would go something like there being no sales tax, hotel motel tax, etc generated by the current "lowest use" of the property as an abandoned empty box. Or would city consider incentives like a tax rebate back to owner to encourage leasing out ASAP instead of end of lease.

Also interesting to see the different behavior with the owners of Albertsons/HEB and Academy properties vs the owners of Gander Mountain. Since GM went bankrupt = no lease payments = @Home in relatively short order. Might be a sign of things to come at POM Sears location.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
EBrazosAg said:

mgreen said:

Not that I am for this - I am firmly against imminent domain abuse, etc - but would be interesting to see if any city has ever tried to force a better use of a retail property than the owner just sitting with an empty "box" collecting rent. The argument would go something like there being no sales tax, hotel motel tax, etc generated by the current "lowest use" of the property as an abandoned empty box. Or would city consider incentives like a tax rebate back to owner to encourage leasing out ASAP instead of end of lease.

Also interesting to see the different behavior with the owners of Albertsons/HEB and Academy properties vs the owners of Gander Mountain. Since GM went bankrupt = no lease payments = @Home in relatively short order. Might be a sign of things to come at POM Sears location.
Sears owned their own property. There wasn't lease payments. At Home/Gander Mountain's building changed hands a few times but is currently owned by the company itself.
EBrazosAg
AG
So Sears is for sale.... and the @Home building changed hands for the exact reason I made the point .. original owner wasn't getting lease payments because of Gander bankruptcy..... whether they sold or were motivated to lease matters not. It was still motivated by a bankruptcy induced cessation of revenue ....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bcstx06
Speaking of At Home, how is it doing? It seems like the parking is always close to empty.
jrhmc
AG
bcstx06 said:

Speaking of At Home, how is it doing? It seems like the parking is always close to empty.
My son works there and has from day 1. He said it was really busy today. I think it just depends on when you are looking. They also run with a pretty small staff.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Site plans submitted for a new shopping center near Lowe's at corner of Fitch and 6. Not sure what is going in there.

ETA: Site appears to be designed to handle a drive through as part of the center.
EBrazosAg
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Site plans submitted for a new shopping center near Lowe's at corner of Fitch and 6. Not sure what is going in there.

ETA: Site appears to be designed to handle a drive through as part of the center.
Its just another building next to the service station/Mooyah. About the same size at current building. Between Mooyah and the mythical "Tads" ......actually dirt moving at Tad's.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty Surette with more "breaking news" that a restaurant called I Heart Mac & Cheese is opening two locations in College Station. Locations not announced yet.
CDub06
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Rusty Surette with more "breaking news" that a restaurant called I Heart Mac & Cheese is opening two locations in College Station. Locations not announced yet.
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/i-heart-mac-cheese-enter-texas-market
jja79
AG
Guess that will be a $14 bowl of mac and cheese. Apparently proteins cost more than meat.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Oldham Goodwin has started marketing a new retail development that will be the final piece of the Chimney Hill redevelopment (joining the Republic, Primrose Path, Starbucks, and Drury Inn & Suites).

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/JBCpsc1O6KeJZ_4zheAue5_i2Ubuv73k7z48KXPTrNA/document.pdf

I believe this is the space that Natalie Ruiz recently mentioned had a national restaurant chain new to BCS interested in it.

Belton Ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Geez, you'd think these new restaurants and shops would be a little more creative in their names.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A personal bias of mine, but one thing I wish these new developments would do is have the forethought to place the building along the street and parking behind. Density continues to increase on University and more people are walking and biking in the area, which I expect to eventually spread to the east side of Texas on University as well. It would be nice if the buildings interacted with the streets/sidewalks better. Plus, I think it just looks nicer.
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Definitely looks like a larger fast food location, maybe to complement the Exxon sign years after the McDonald's absence.
nought
AG
Great American Cookie Co./Marble Slab in the former Nobilitea location at Caprock Crossing appears to be open.
bushytailed
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I believe this is the space that Natalie Ruiz recently mentioned had a national restaurant chain new to BCS interested in it.

Waffle House would make a killing in that location. It would be right between two hotels.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Are they opening up a new trufit by the target in Bryan? If so when will it open? That will be the closest one to our house. We cant use the existing one there because it's the only location without babysitting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.