BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

577,818 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
JayHowdy!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pizza Hut is open by the Bryan Walmart.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oldham-goodwin-group-llc_oldham-goodwin-is-excited-to-welcome-pizza-activity-6564957800638803968-ws09
merc
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Sure. It wasn't a failure but I don't think it was made obsolete from the University & longmire/RP locations.

That area of Texas Avenue was much more accessible 10-15 years ago. It's an absolute nightmare now with traffic, increased students etc. Just getting in and out of that parking lot has changed dramatically in 10-15 years.
I stay away from that entire part of town unless I absolutely have to go there. You are correct about that particular point as well.
AgsWin2011
AG
Man I hate to hear about Jimmy John's near Target but at least there are a couple other locations. I didn't know Pei Wei was tanking. Maybe I'm part of the minority, but I LOVED Pei Wei. But I also have to admit it's probably been close to a year or longer since I had been there. Their kung pao beef was the bomb.
gunan01
AG
I saw Mike Evans eating at that Pei Wei circa 2013. He was super nice and signed an autograph for a little kid.
OnlyANobody
There are actually many more considerations than whether summer is tough. Sometimes, August is just when the lease is (FINALLY!) up... Business owners can know that a place is done with or without student presence but choose to leave the lights on, try to bring in some revenue while they're stuck, and give staff a chance to find other options. The ones who ditch employees get noticed, but there are some who don't treat people that way.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Some additional information and quite a few pictures regarding the Bryan Midtown project: http://wtaw.com/2019/08/07/bryan-city-council-and-planning-and-zoning-commission-support-consultants-ideas-for-midtown-district-zoning/

Has anyone attended the information sessions and have more insight as to what the actual plan is?

Also, any more information on what will be in the "indoor sports and multipurpose building"?

Quote:

The consultants also responded to mayor Andrew Nelson's announcement that an indoor sports and multipurpose building at the new superpark will be completed in the next 18 to 24 months.
isitjustme
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Some additional information and quite a few pictures regarding the Bryan Midtown project: http://wtaw.com/2019/08/07/bryan-city-council-and-planning-and-zoning-commission-support-consultants-ideas-for-midtown-district-zoning/
I looked at the story and map, which showed Old College being turned into a private road from South College to TM5s Howdy Place. I'm not sure how much I like that. A lot of people use that road to get from South College to Wellborn and the work around by J Cody's seems like it'll be a pain.

ETA looks like they're planning on getting rid of the buildings that the Hospice BV thrift store/facilities are in as well as relocating/teardown/rebuild the building between Chicken Oil and J Cody's, which is also where a connector b/t South College and Old College looks planned.

A lot of people/businesses will be negatively impacted in the multi-year transitional process.

Planners, consultants and politicians with their grand visions - I hope it works for everyone's sake but there's no guarantee.
redd38
AG
Yeah, not a fan of that. One of the best things I was hoping to get out of this project was a fixed Old College, not a shut down Old College.
Slagathor
AG
It appears that a left turn onto South College from the new continuation of Howdy Court won't be possible. Looks like a grassy median right there. So no way to go northbound on South College from Old College? Since the section past Howdy Court will become one-way in the other direction. Seems like it's going to be a mess.
isitjustme
AG
North Street seems to be the best alternative.
redd38
AG
Yeah, North St will be the way to go, but why force traffic through a residential area instead of through a commercial area?
isitjustme
AG
redd38 said:

Yeah, North St will be the way to go, but why force traffic through a residential area instead of through a commercial area?
Because horseblinders. Rarely are these negative side effects considered. If they are considered they are easily justified or discarded due to the need to achieve the vision.
dgonzo99
I go down North Avenue everyday going to work. A ton of traffic already use that route. People go down Broadmoor and cross over to North Avenue. No problems whatsoever. Never use the portion of Old College that will be cut off. Have total faith in our city engineers. Besides, this design is preliminary. If you don't like it, go to one of the many meetings and voice your opinion. They would love to hear from you.
isitjustme
AG
dgonzo99 said:

I go down North Avenue everyday going to work. A ton of traffic already use that route. People go down Broadmoor and cross over to North Avenue. No problems whatsoever. Never use the portion of Old College that will be cut off. Have total faith in our city engineers. Besides, this design is preliminary. If you don't like it, go to one of the many meetings and voice your opinion. They would love to hear from you.
I use all 3 ways to get from my part of Bryan to campus - Villa Maria to Wellborn, Broadmoor to North to Old College to Wellborn, and Villa Maria to South College to Old College to Wellborn, so yes, I agree there are options. Like I said, I hope it works out for all involved. And I'm fairly sure city staff checks these threads and this is how I would prefer to voice my opinions.

BTW, I lost total faith in our city engineers first when they couldn't even get stop-light timing even remotely correct (still can't) and then with their whole array of "traffic calming" methods like circles and humps and such.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Is there a website with the details on the different districts of proposed midtown?
Goose83
AG
Heismenberg said:

Man I hate to hear about Jimmy John's near Target but at least there are a couple other locations. I didn't know Pei Wei was tanking. Maybe I'm part of the minority, but I LOVED Pei Wei. But I also have to admit it's probably been close to a year or longer since I had been there. Their kung pao beef was the bomb.
I liked the Kung Pao chicken myself, But, yeah, it probably been a year or more since I had been there myself (funny, though, as I had thought about going by sometime this week). True, the food hadn't been as consistent as in the past, but had mainly put it off as I try to avoid going into College Station as much as possible anymore these days.
Goose83
AG
agrab86 said:

dgonzo99 said:

I use all 3 ways to get from my part of Bryan to campus - Villa Maria to Wellborn, Broadmoor to North to Old College to Wellborn, and Villa Maria to South College to Old College to Wellborn, so yes, I agree there are options. Like I said, I hope it works out for all involved. And I'm fairly sure city staff checks these threads and this is how I would prefer to voice my opinions.

BTW, I lost total faith in our city engineers first when they couldn't even get stop-light timing even remotely correct (still can't) and then with their whole array of "traffic calming" methods like circles and humps and such.
Yeah, nothing more fun that to be stuck at a red light on a side road crossing 29th Street at 11:00 at night, without a single car passing either way for five minutes. You would think with today's computer automation, that setting up a system that would modify the light cycles to the time of day and traffic levels would be no big deal, but apparently it is. I guess until someone that works for city hall gets inconvenienced, nothing is going to change.

I don't mind the speed bumps, but the less that said about the current fixation with traffic circles, the better.
dgonzo99
Captn_Ag05 said:

Is there a website with the details on the different districts of proposed midtown?
It is on the City of Bryan website. Been there for months. I disagree with a previous comment that it is better to complain on sites like these than complain in person at one of the many meetings about the project. I doubt if they have the time to go through dozens of posts on websites like this or Facebook. Go to the source and give your opinions. I do. The website should give you all the info you need.
PS3D
There's a place called "Cook N Grow" on Harvey Mitchell along the strip of stores catty-corner to Walmart. Also, new development CS reports "Kirk's Auto" off 2818 between Texas Avenue and the freeway.
AggieBarstool
PS3D said:

There's a place called "Cook N Grow" on Harvey Mitchell along the strip of stores catty-corner to Walmart.
Looks like it replaced the foot prep business (Mom's Meals, way back when). Appears to be a place to get private cooking lessons: https://www.cookngrow.com/
halibut sinclair
Quote:

Looks like it replaced the foot prep business (Mom's Meals, way back when). Appears to be a place to get private cooking lessons: https://www.cookngrow.com/

I'll miss that foot prep business. Where shall I get my feet prepped now?
gus1390
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Yes, https://www.bryantx.gov/midtown/

Also, it's my understanding that on the Old College / College Ave intersection proposed changes, the current discussion involves extending Howdy Ct through to College Ave
Collectonian
Century Square just announced on their Facebook page that Onward Reserve will be opening there. No approximate opening date was given.
Collectonian
Also while Colony Park (the shopping center at Boonville & the feeder road) this evening, I noticed there was a sign up for College Town Sushi between T Jin and Subway. I couldn't tell if it was open yet or not, but looks like Weitzman already has it up on a recent site plan so maybe.
war hymn aggie
AG
Collectonian said:

Also while Colony Park (the shopping center at Boonville & the feeder road) this evening, I noticed there was a sign up for College Town Sushi between T Jin and Subway. I couldn't tell if it was open yet or not, but looks like Weitzman already has it up on a recent site plan so maybe.
Just wait for Greg D's review on Yelp. Once he's reviewed it, then it's only a matter of days before it actually opens...
Captn_Ag05
AG
Anyone have any more information about the "first of it's kind" Brookshire Brothers going in at Bush & Penberthy?
ChampsAg
Rusty Surrette posted a story. Release this afternoon
PS3D
ChampsAg said:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-Kyle-Field-themed-grocery-store-being-built-near-campus-557878691.html

Guess it would replace the Louis Pearce Pavilion?
Broncos
What happened to the Top Golf-like establishment that we were rumored to be getting?
farmerJohnny
I saw the Brookshire Brothers announcement. I just don't understand why they would have "live music" there? What else will that area provide to attract people to it?

I think the main problem we have here in BCS is that we are spreading these type of "center hubs" everywhere and yet none of these places are busy enough to attract large enough crowds. We have the Century Square development, we have the Jones Crossing, we have the Lake Walk, etc. As a young family with kids we want one nice area where we can take our kids to play, listen to some live music, and have all these small cafes, restaurants, ice-cream places all in one place. Right now I feel everything is too fragmented and not a single "go to place".
Maybe the new College Station Midtown will be that place? Let's hope the stores have enough business to keep all of them open.
dstarr6442
AG
Well, it's not the real Brookshire's, but I'll take it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think it is an interesting concept and it will be nice to have a grocery store on, or adjacent to, campus. The comments on the KBTX story on Facebook are ridiculous. Seems like the people that live in a college town hate college kids.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Broncos said:

What happened to the Top Golf-like establishment that we were rumored to be getting?
The latest I heard is that Bryan is trying to get in their midtown development.
jrhmc
AG
PS3D said:

ChampsAg said:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-Kyle-Field-themed-grocery-store-being-built-near-campus-557878691.html

I would think it would be on the opposite corner rather than replace an existing structure.
techno-ag
AG
jrhmc said:

PS3D said:

ChampsAg said:

I would think it would be on the opposite corner rather than replace an existing structure.
Need something to replace Skaggs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.