BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

573,004 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only as far as food. They have some great entertainment that comes through and a good atmosphere. I would go back for the music but wouldn't go just to eat.
CWIsom
So about the Coming & Going of BCS
Rexter
Pie In the Sky looked to be having a soft opening this morning. Opening day is Tuesday.
scd88
AG
What's the latest on "The Yard?" I thought this was supposed to be a BBQ, beer, and wine joint? Now I see signs for the development office and some other business.
Tailgate88
AG
scd88 said:

What's the latest on "The Yard?" I thought this was supposed to be a BBQ, beer, and wine joint? Now I see signs for the development office and some other business.
There are four sections of that building. The two offices are on the inside, and that is the signage you see. All the Kings' Men will be on the left, and the wine/beer shop on the right, I think. The far right has the notice up that they have applied for a beer/wine license. A couple weeks ago when I went by they were having some sort of event there, there were a ton of kids running around and a bounce house etc. I think they are making progress, just not as fast as any of us would like. Should be a great spot when it's open.
Raven
TXCityGirl
The Yard CS is hosting public events planned by The Southside Social Club. You can find all of their info on Facebook and Instagram. I've been to two of the events, and it's a nice spot. Restaurant construction is ongoing, but the patios are done and really nice. Address is 1551 William D. Fitch if you try to find it (behind the Zaxby's/CapRock ER area).
bushytailed
AG
"The Union" - New development planned at University and South College where Harry's currently is located. Looks to include a grocery store.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-development-being-planned-to-compliment-Century-Square-in-College-Station-512079481.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media
ellipsiscricket
There is a new place called Cook n Grow that just opened on 2818 close to the Longmire intersection. It looks like another good option for kid-friendly activities in town.
scd88
AG
Got it. Thanks!
Captn_Ag05
AG
bushytailed said:

"The Union" - New development planned at University and South College where Harry's currently is located. Looks to include a grocery store.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/New-development-being-planned-to-compliment-Century-Square-in-College-Station-512079481.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media

I would love to see a grocery store as part of the development there. But, the rest of that site plan just doesn't seem reasonable. 12 restaurants in the plans- with Century Square next door - seems excessive. It also has two hotels and a luxury movie theater. Very similar to Century Square.

One thing that caught my eye is that the plans have an area marked as a future trolley stop. Is there a trolley planned?
redd38
AG
Who gets to be the fancy island restaurant?
isitjustme
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

bushytailed said:

I would love to see a grocery store as part of the development there. But, the rest of that site plan just doesn't seem reasonable. 12 restaurants in the plans- with Century Square next door - seems excessive. It also has two hotels and a luxury movie theater. Very similar to Century Square.

One thing that caught my eye is that the plans have an area marked as a future trolley stop. Is there a trolley planned?
Culpepper will likely allow for free parking, even for the restaurants. Advantage: The Union!
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

bushytailed said:

Culpepper will likely allow for free parking, even for the restaurants. Advantage: The Union!
Free parking will kill over there. Of course, it will be heavily monitored by the towing companies.
isitjustme
AG
techno-ag said:

Free parking will kill over there. Of course, it will be heavily monitored by the towing companies.
I'm okay with that. Don't break the rules by parking and going to TAMU or Century Square and you won't get towed.
Oogway
I'm okay with that too. Might cause a little free market competition in terms of parking fees.

I'm intrigued by the Cook and Grow and think it's great to have that here.
Anonymous Source
S
Sabi Boutique has moved in to the old Harley's location.
That gives them two locations within two miles of each other.
Gig 'Em
fourth deck
AG
bushytailed said:

How that property sat as an unused parking lot for so long is beyond me. Bringing in a grocery store to this spot is a slam dunk. The rest of the development seems iffy and I think leaving Schlotzsky's and IHOP is a mistake. They're missing the opportunity to put something more noticeable right on that corner. In the same vein I can't understand why the century square project isn't putting something on its corner across from the ETED building.
TheOC16
AG
In case it provides any more insight, a Facebook post from Hurricane Harry's yesterday:

Quote:

Howdy Aggieland,
A news story was recently published regarding the development of the area that Hurricane Harry's currently resides. We would like to clear somethings up and reassure everyone that Harry's is not going anywhere anytime soon. Phase II of the Legacy Point development was first introduced to us about 10 years ago and we have been in constant contact with the Culpepper family (our landlord and builder) about the entire project since then. The development will not begin until they feel the time is ready and the market is right to go ahead with the project, which could be 2 to 5 years from now or longer. We have been looking at all future options including staying and being part of the new plans, but at this time, don't worry we aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
Thank you,
HH
redd38
AG
Apparently Aspire is getting a Which Wich
australopithecus robustus
This town is overbuilding too quickly in several sectors. Very, very wise on the Culpepper's part to take their sweet time.
Captn_Ag05
AG
fourth deck said:

bushytailed said:

In the same vein I can't understand why the century square project isn't putting something on its corner across from the ETED building.
Interesting rumor that I heard back in March was that the Century Square property at the corner of University and South College was going to be developed with a ground level grocer or grocer/department store combo and several floors of housing available for engineering students above it through a partnership with A&M.

I think it is generally wise of Culpepper to wait to develop their space, but I would be surprised in five years if there is not a grocery option already in that area given the number of new beds that have gone in the Northgate area over the last several years.
PS3D
fourth deck said:

bushytailed said:

How that property sat as an unused parking lot for so long is beyond me. Bringing in a grocery store to this spot is a slam dunk. The rest of the development seems iffy and I think leaving Schlotzsky's and IHOP is a mistake. They're missing the opportunity to put something more noticeable right on that corner. In the same vein I can't understand why the century square project isn't putting something on its corner across from the ETED building.
IHOP is going to be around as long as there are smashed people at 2 am wanting something to eat after the bars close.

Also, Boomtown BBQ (Longmire and Texas) finally showed up on New Development.
95_Aggie
AG
Doesn't Longmire run parallel to Texas?
bcstx06
Looks like Family Dollar is trying to put in a new location on Beck Street and Silkwood in Bryan. Why is the city of Bryan allowing Family Dollar and Dollar General stores to infest the city? That area seems to be a good desert, they should have tried to recruit another Aldi for that area.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90278384/why-dollar-stores-are-bad-business-for-the-neighborhoods-they-open-in
Oogway
Yes it does. I believe the BBQ place is on Texas near Mile Drive.

Edit for clarity.
The Anchor
AG
bcstx06 said:

Looks like Family Dollar is trying to put in a new location on Beck Street and Silkwood in Bryan. Why is the city of Bryan allowing Family Dollar and Dollar General stores to infest the city? That area seems to be a good desert, they should have tried to recruit another Aldi for that area.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90278384/why-dollar-stores-are-bad-business-for-the-neighborhoods-they-open-in

Because that area would be perfect for a dollar store.
cslifer
They allow it because they have to. If the land is zoned for it you have a right to build what you want. The city doesn't get to say "we don't like your type of business, no building permit for you even though it is your property and you meet all the appropriate zoning requirements etc".
dave99ag
AG
cslifer said:

They allow it because they have to. If the land is zoned for it you have a right to build what you want. The city doesn't get to say "we don't like your type of business, no building permit for you even though it is your property and you meet all the appropriate zoning requirements etc".
Weingarten property at RP and Hwy 6 calling on Line 1. The city and NIMBYs did just that and the tax payers paid for that lawsuit when the city did just what you said they couldn't do. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself!
cslifer
Like you said, the city ended up paying for that stunt.
agcfa
West Bryan Chick-fil-A will still happen sometime in the future. I do not know exact timing. The corporation decides all of those dates. It is still in the pipeline the last I heard.

East Bryan Chick-fil-A will be rebuilt sometime soon as well.

We hope to open Jones Crossing in the Fall. Depending on weather and construction possibly in September or October. Construction is going well so far. Looking forward to serving our customers soon at Jones Crossing!

Jerald Huggins
snaglepuss
cslifer said:

Does that include the adult industry. As in a tittie bar.
FILO505
AG
snaglepuss said:

cslifer said:

Does that include the adult industry. As in a tittie bar.

Username checks out
bcstx06
agcfa said:

West Bryan Chick-fil-A will still happen sometime in the future. I do not know exact timing. The corporation decides all of those dates. It is still in the pipeline the last I heard.

East Bryan Chick-fil-A will be rebuilt sometime soon as well.

We hope to open Jones Crossing in the Fall. Depending on weather and construction possibly in September or October. Construction is going well so far. Looking forward to serving our customers soon at Jones Crossing!

Jerald Huggins

I was riding around and noticed some fresh survey markers all round the area where the West Bryan Chick-fil-a will go. Maybe that means it's finally getting started.

Also it looks like the Bowie School has finally been sold. I passed by and there is no longer a for sale sign up and I also saw fresh land survey markers. Is this place finally going to become condos?

The Rudder Pointe Subdivision is finally starting to go up. The foundations on the first few homes are being prepared.
https://www.trulia.com/builder-community/Rudder-Pointe-6000266107

Forest Pines Apartments near Lenard Road and 2818 is already starting it's 2nd phase although the 1st phase still needs a few more months to finish.

A little further down Lenard Road near the Forest Pines Apartments there is a huge neighborhood going up but the catch is they will all be rental homes built by the same company (I believe) that built the new rental home community in far North Bryan. They are nice all 2 story so far and a 100% improvement for that part of town. This neighborhood will connect all the way to Silkwood Drive which is North of Lenard Road. At the end of Silkwood where it intersects with Beck Street, a Family Dollar is planned.

The Pleasant Hill Subdivision located near 2818 and Sandy Point Road has started dirt work.

Since the old bank on West Villa Maria now has fire damage, is American Lumber still going to move it's headquarters to Bryan in that location?

Are any companies looking to buy/move into the Nutrabolt Headquarters building?

I know there is a lot more happening around town, I just thought I would mention a few.
CDub06
AG
cslifer said:

If you want a good discussion on this topic: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/04/26/717665452/episode-909-dollar-stores-vs-lettuce

Note: Not Bryan specific

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.