BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

573,026 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
scs2001 said:

Did Yogurtland close?
I think it's called Swirls now.
ratfacemcdougal
Heberts is closed...per facebook

Hebert's update. Unfortunately we will be closed until further notice. The owners health has not improved and is looking at some serious recovery time. Wont go into personal details but the managing owner, Bill can not return to work for quite some time. Due to some other personal circumstamces the other 2 partners are not able to run the store full time or even on a consistent basis. So we have decided to temporarily shut down with hopes of reopening in the very near future once Bill and Michelle get their health issues under control. Barbara is doing fine. Just in retirement mode and is physically not able to work. We apologize to our great and loyal customers. Just keep an eye on Facebook and we will announce when we are able to reopen.
Thank You
Hebert's Cajun Food Owners
Barbara Hebert
Michelle Cook
Bill Chard
Collectonian
scs2001 said:

Did Yogurtland close?
Looks like it. Drove by today and the Yogurtland sign is gone. As noted, it's been replaced with one for a place called Swirls. Can't find a website or FB page for them, but presuming it's another frozen yogurt place.
AggieBarstool
ratfacemcdougal said:

Heberts is closed...per facebook

Hebert's update. Unfortunately we will be closed until further notice. The owners health has not improved and is looking at some serious recovery time. Wont go into personal details but the managing owner, Bill can not return to work for quite some time. Due to some other personal circumstamces the other 2 partners are not able to run the store full time or even on a consistent basis. So we have decided to temporarily shut down with hopes of reopening in the very near future once Bill and Michelle get their health issues under control. Barbara is doing fine. Just in retirement mode and is physically not able to work. We apologize to our great and loyal customers. Just keep an eye on Facebook and we will announce when we are able to reopen.
Thank You
Hebert's Cajun Food Owners
Barbara Hebert
Michelle Cook
Bill Chard
So sad. Went recently and it was every bit as amazing as I remember. Here's to hoping the family pulls through whatever ails them.
techno-ag
AG
Update on Innovation Towers on West Villa Maria. $250 million dollar Galindo project.

http://wtaw.com/2019/06/18/brazos-county-commissioners-learn-about-250-million-dollar-high-rise-condo-development/
bcstx06
Nice! Great development for the City of Bryan. I have always said that high rise condos would be great in that area. Thank you Ram Galindo for investing in Bryan!

The explosive development of HWY 47 is starting to begin!

You should consider combining 2 of the towers making a 24 story tower. It could be the Transco Tower of Brazos County with retail and restaurants below.

In other news near here, I see that a Pizza Hut is going in at Rudder Landing (Walmart Center).
techno-ag
AG
There's certainly groceries over there thanks to Walmart. Close to RELLIS and Health Science, too. Should do well.
kraut
AG
bcstx06 said:

Nice! Great development for the City of Bryan. I have always said that high rise condos would be great in that area. Thank you Ram Galindo for investing in Bryan!

The explosive development of HWY 47 is starting to begin!

You should consider combining 2 of the towers making a 24 story tower. It could be the Transco Tower of Brazos County with retail and restaurants below.

In other news near here, I see that a Pizza Hut is going in at Rudder Landing (Walmart Center).

They probably can't go too high because of the proximity to the airport.
bcstx06
That's true and the residents of Traditions and near by neighborhoods might complain. An uptown type development would have been nice on the other side of HWY 47, with 1-2 or 3 story low rise retail restaurants and businesses in between. In other words a more urban type development with street level interaction. Or even placing this within the Lakewalk Development. But a great development for Bryan in any style.
AG 86 BC
AG
Can't see this being successful. Where is the demand for high rise living in the area?
isitjustme
AG
AG 86 BC said:

Can't see this being successful. Where is the demand for high rise living in the area?
"If you build it they will come." So, it'll be successful.

Actually, Mr. Galindo is spearheading a privately funded effort, willing to form a MUD, and is asking the county to support expansion of a road that needs to be expanded anyway. If he were asking for public funding and the like, it would likely be a boondoggle. But Galindo has been successful with his other ventures in that part of town, so this one probably will be as well; he's proven he knows the market. I agree that it's risky, but it's his and his business partners' risk to take. I wish them the best of luck.

dgonzo99
agrab86 said:

AG 86 BC said:

Actually, Mr. Galindo is spearheading a privately funded effort, willing to form a MUD, and is asking the county to support expansion of a road that needs to be expanded anyway. If he were asking for public funding and the like, it would likely be a boondoggle. But Galindo has been successful with his other ventures in that part of town, so this one probably will be as well; he's proven he knows the market. I agree that it's risky, but it's his and his business partners' risk to take. I wish them the best of luck.

I can see a number of Former Students buying these for weekends and games just like the Casitas at Traditions. I'm sure Mr. Galindo has done intensive research on the market for these. He is a brilliant businessman.
PS3D
agrab86 said:

AG 86 BC said:

There are all sorts of failed developments in this town alone that prove that wrong.
dallasiteinsa02
dgonzo99 said:

agrab86 said:

AG 86 BC said:

I can see a number of Former Students buying these for weekends and games just like the Casitas at Traditions. I'm sure Mr. Galindo has done intensive research on the market for these. He is a brilliant businessman.
I wish him all the luck in the world but in looking at his website this is a big jump for him. I can fly a Cessna but that doesn't mean that I can fly a 777.
techno-ag
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

dgonzo99 said:

agrab86 said:

AG 86 BC said:

I wish him all the luck in the world but in looking at his website this is a big jump for him. I can fly a Cessna but that doesn't mean that I can fly a 777.
Looks like he's doing one tower at a time. I think he'll be fine. Each tower will have 40-50 high end units. When he sells enough he can start on the next tower.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Are the towers all going to be residential?

I would love to see the project be a success, but five mid-rises for that area seems quite ambitious. If RELLIS is the success people are hoping it will be, 47, between Lake Walk/HSC area and RELLIS, is primed for residential and commercial development.
dallasiteinsa02
These kind of deals typically have 20% down at reservation and then when 60-70% reserved the bank will fund construction depending on the developer. They are really hard to sell unless you have a track record of price appreciation after construction is complete or you are willing to fund construction without a bank involved. Not sure about the price point that they are going after but the management fees can also be a killer for the buyers.
dgonzo99
dallasiteinsa02 said:

These kind of deals typically have 20% down at reservation and then when 60-70% reserved the bank will fund construction depending on the developer. They are really hard to sell unless you have a track record of price appreciation after construction is complete or you are willing to fund construction without a bank involved. Not sure about the price point that they are going after but the management fees can also be a killer for the buyers.
That 's how most of these developments are done in Houston. I am sure he will do the same. He is one of the best businessman here. What killed the failed huge apartment complex close to the Bush Library was that they really hadn't leased hardly anything before they were finished. Last I heard was that the complex is still pretty empty, and they are offering just about anything just to get people in there. Mr. Galindo has done his homework.
isitjustme
AG
dgonzo99 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

dgonzo: That 's how most of these developments are done in Houston. I am sure he will do the same. He is one of the best businessman here. What killed the failed huge apartment complex close to the Bush Library was that they really hadn't leased hardly anything before they were finished. Last I heard was that the complex is still pretty empty, and they are offering just about anything just to get people in there. Mr. Galindo has done his homework.

If you're talking about Park West, keep in mind that's a TAMU-involved public-private effort. There is a false sense of security when public is involved - the public partner doesn't have to consider the market as much and the private partner has less at risk. Mr. Galindo must very closely consider the market or he will go bust. I'm with you in thinking he has done his homework.
TommyBrady
AG
Park West definitely started out slow and took awhile to get going but last semester they had a 90 something % occupancy rate and even had parking issues with so many people staying and visiting.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Park West definitely started out slow and took awhile to get going but last semester they had a 90 something % occupancy
Because they drastically cut their prices. Doesn't mean they are going to hit their profitability goals.
TommyBrady
AG
Yes, they need to be able to raise prices by 30% in the next two years and keep a high occupancy rate. The University giving them more exposure on housing and student affairs websites and on campus exposure will hopefully continue the trend of helping them reach the goal. They raised rates this year so we will see what happens.
Collectonian
The second Nam Cafe location at Tower Point, which is apparently called Nam Vietnamese Noodles & More, will be doing their soft opening June 22nd - June 30th, 11 am - 9 pm.

According to their FB post, they will be giving away free appetizers to all customers: https://www.facebook.com/418565868691973/photos/a.429978514217375/449093902305836/?type=3&permPage=1
rodan85
AG
TommyBrady said:

Yes, they need to be able to raise prices by 30% in the next two years and keep a high occupancy rate. The University giving them more exposure on housing and student affairs websites and on campus exposure will hopefully continue the trend of helping them reach the goal. They raised rates this year so we will see what happens.
My son's friends all think it is a hospital inside. They are willing to pay more to live somewhere else.

I do not see them succeeding if they have to raise rates. They also mentioned it is poorly build. This is coming from kids that live(d) in the commons.
Rexter
Sold sign in front of the former Dickie's BBQ building.
dgonzo99
Looks like the Forest Pines Apartments on 2818 are just about finished. They are now leasing.
jrhmc
AG
Collectonian said:

The second Nam Cafe location at Tower Point, which is apparently called Nam Vietnamese Noodles & More, will be doing their soft opening June 22nd - June 30th, 11 am - 9 pm.

According to their FB post, they will be giving away free appetizers to all customers: https://www.facebook.com/418565868691973/photos/a.429978514217375/449093902305836/?type=3&permPage=1
Had it for lunch and it was delicious!
AgsWin2011
AG
Rexter said:

Sold sign in front of the former Dickie's BBQ building.
Anyone got inside info on who bought it?
PS3D
Black Aspen LLC out of New Braunfels, but the address for it is a box out of a UPS store.
Rexter
PS3D said:

Black Aspen LLC out of New Braunfels, but the address for it is a box out of a UPS store.

That was Dec 17. They are a pmc in Utah.
merc
AG
dgonzo99 said:

Looks like the Forest Pines Apartments on 2818 are just about finished. They are now leasing.
I feel like there are a lot better locations to live in for 1k a month. I wonder how long before they come off that like Regency Gardens did.
bcstx06
The Forest Pines Apartments are turning out much better then I first thought. It's a huge improvement for that part of town and I think it will help spur some growth in that area. Looks like they are already starting phase 2.

In other news, there is a sign up on Hwy 21 for a new shopping center I believe it is at the Tabor Road interception.
FILO505
AG
Given the level of traffic around town, I'm guessing everybody is on vacation. I can't post pics, but the Chick-Fil-A at Jones Crossing is flying along. I'd guess, maybe, a month? Anybody know who's managing it?
lockett93
AG
tombdaddy504 said:

Given the level of traffic around town, I'm guessing everybody is on vacation. I can't post pics, but the Chick-Fil-A at Jones Crossing is flying along. I'd guess, maybe, a month? Anybody know who's managing it?

Jerald Huggins, Same operator as the Texas/Harvey and Wm D Fitch locations.
bcstx06
lockett93 said:

tombdaddy504 said:

Jerald Huggins, Same operator as the Texas/Harvey and Wm D Fitch locations.

Has the West Bryan Chick-fil-a been cancelled? It was announced way before the Jones Crossing one. Maybe the new high rise proposals in that area will help the West Bryan one get going.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.