CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

102,581 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It might be simpler, but I suspect it would not be well-received.
BigBubba
AG
MonkIsMyHero said:

If you're within 5 miles of a school, that should be the school you attend. Stop this nonsense CSISD!

Here is what the 5 mile radius of both schools looks like. So, tell me exactly how your idea is going to work?
Vulcan
Some on here have mentioned that the School Board is elected by us, and therefore works for us. I disagree... The school board works for the students, in their best interests specifically. While I appreciate the fact that they are unpaid leaders, that does not hold true to the CSISD administration.

Through repeated re-zoning through the years the school board has repeatedly made their numbers problems become the students problems. So the students suffer the repercussions of the board's and administration's failures.

So here we are again, faced with this sudden "emergency" to re-balance our numbers again, and again doing so blindly without proper regard for what lies in the future.

The board and administration has not asked the community for more money to fix their problems, they just assumed that the community would fail them in that. Yet if they are truly working for the student, it should be their responsibility to address funds at least as much as an emergency re-balance of numbers. So the administration's problems become the student's problem. Was a study conducted to indicate that a bond would fail? Did they even ask?

Why not put a hold on these proceedings until they have a better and much more comprehensive plan? We know the 3rd high school is coming, we know that there will be an addition to CSHS, so why not sit down and plan all this out now. Let's get the developers, community leaders, school administration, city leaders, and county all on the same sheet of music so we can do this right the first time.

It makes very little sense to have Existing students have to change schools based on the need to balance Future growth. That just doesn't make sense. And this plan of "reverse" grandfathering is silly. Current 8th graders have already signed up for classes, toured campuses, attended try outs and selected for dance teams, cheerleaders, sports, band, etc. To leave them high and dry is very unfair to them, and disruptive at least to the very schools that are trying to plan for what will happen this fall. Academically speaking, are the schools fully prepared for this shift of students? So (for example) you balance out your numbers, and suddenly you have no idea how many teachers you need at one school or the other for Pre AP Biology? You aren't accounting for those details, and you are forcing your administrations to react during the summer as best they can, and then when they can't support the new numbers, the student gets hit again with the fact that they weren't registered there in time, so won't get the class they should. Additionally, you state that no current HS student will be rezoned? What about their siblings? What science do you have to predict then what students will show up to which HS this fall if you allow them to have their choice? And how will you adjust your staff for that at the last moment? Just more chaos in August... If you are going to rezone, then at least have the courtesy and respect to the 2018 incoming freshmen to leave them in the school they start. Otherwise you leave parents, student's, and administration in a state of chaos.

Additionally, the cost of busing in the students you want here and there is out of hand, and not even practical by any standard. These costs are coming straight out of your own budget. My own children don't even ride the bus in or out of school because it would be in excess of an hour each way morning and night, yet that service is paid for by our taxpayers. What a waste.... Regardless of the jigsaw outcome of our little emergency re-district project, our current method of transporting kids from only schools they are zoned is obsolete. What we will need is a method of transportation "hubs". Where students can transfer from one bus to another regardless of zone. An example of this would be having the kids all ride the same morning bus to the elementary school, and then have to opportunity to transfer to a second bus that will take them directly to their school from there. So all the kids are getting on the bus much later in the morning, and getting home much earlier, but would allow the older kids to make a transfer along the way. And doing all this with less buses, less miles, and less resources. Parents would also have the option of injecting their older students into the bus system at an elementary school (hub), rather than have to make multiple trips to multiple different schools every morning.

As for the community, they should be in an uproar. What real estate agent in their right mind would want to work trying to sell homes in an environment where they can't tell a buyer what schools their children will attend this fall, or how they might or might not be grandfathered? Additionally, where will those kids be zoned in 2 years when the board (or is it the superintendent parent of a non rezoned, graduating Senior?) freaks out again? This is affecting the very real estate prices that determine our very own school funding!

Our CSISD leadership is afraid of asking the community for funding via what I assume would be a bond. But the board and CSISD administration are putting that very future funding in jeopardy when they are continually changing things, which is a classic sign of inability to manage and plan. The community will be MUCH more unlikely to approve a bond when they have lost faith in the board that directs those funds. The psychology of an election... you power against the parents and students only so long before they rise up and take your power, and in this case it's defeating your next bond... Again, the students will lose!

CSISD Administration, and CSISD School Board, please stop making your problems our students problems. Pause what you are doing until you have a plan that does not continually cause existing students to be rezoned. Communicate that intention WELL prior to it's implementation, and plan accordingly so your schools can be properly sized and ready once and for all. Future students to future schools, existing students to existing schools. Figure it out for the students, because you work for them.

Vulcan
One more thought....

I plan my own personal budget, vacation, travel, work responsibilities, and even my oil changes well beyond August 2018, and yet you are just NOW talking about yanking thousands of community lives into a blender not even 5 months from now?

You should be ashamed of yourselves....

Perhaps the Board should schedule some extra time to evaluate the performance of the CSISD leadership, and talk about some changes...
dman2217
There seems to be talk about this plan to supposedly expand CSHS like it's a done deal...I am curious as to how many people would actually vote for that. I understand they'll throw other things in the bond to try and make it seem like a good idea (let's buy new AC units for failing units, let's buy 100 new computers for XYZ school, etc) but I think that it would have a tough time passing at this juncture. Also what would be the purpose of expanding CSHS if they're just going to build a new 3rd high school anyway?

On another note, is there anyway to see what the enrollments would have been if they never redrew the boundaries to begin with? Just curious as to what the breakdown would be vs the under 85% to the 110%
Stupe
S
That is the best opinion that I've seen about this whole mess.
AggiePlaya
AG
They should offer a cash stipend to get CSHS kids to go Consol. Leave boundaries alone, alleviate some of the overcrowding, and do this much cheaper than it would cost to build/expand short term.
02skiag
AG
AggiePlaya said:

They should offer a cash stipend to get CSHS kids to go Consol. Leave boundaries alone, alleviate some of the overcrowding, and do this much cheaper than it would cost to build/expand short term.

That seems more expensive than rezoning (mostly free).
Stupe
S
Rezoning is not free when you take into account the added transportation costs of buses taking kids from the south end of the district to Consolidated.
Coach Dub
How many of yall would support a school board candidate who advocated banning omnibus bond packages? What about a referendum?
CS78
Vulcan said:

Great logic! That all makes perfect sense. Unfortunately your thoughts don't address the real problem. Money and numbers are the excuse. The cause of all of this is the NEED for absolute equality and even demographics. That is what is driving everything. They could do everything in your plan, have an unlimited budget, and it wouldn't change a thing. They would still be shipping bodies back and forth to meet their ultimate agenda. The last thing they would want to do is fix their excuse. It would make justifying their real intentions much harder. If numbers were truly the problem, they could simply let the kids that live near consol go to school there and poof problem solved. Until we fix the real problem, this will only get worse as we grow.

Coach Dub
CS78 said:

Vulcan said:

Great logic! That all makes perfect sense. Unfortunately your thoughts don't address the real problem. Money and numbers are the excuse. The cause of all of this is the NEED for absolute equality and even demographics. That is what is driving everything. They could do everything in your plan, have an unlimited budget, and it wouldn't change a thing. They would still be shipping bodies back and forth to meet their ultimate agenda. The last thing they would want to do is fix their excuse. It would make justifying their real intentions much harder. If numbers were truly the problem, they could simply let the kids that live near consol go to school there and poof problem solved. Until we fix the real problem, this will only get worse as we grow.

No one is pressing the Board on WHY they insist on pushing kids back & forth every year to create some demographic utopia? The admin will tell the Board that it improves educational outcomes and produce some studies (that were statistically massaged to get the desired outcome) as proof.

The real reason the admin keep telling the board that this is so vital is that the admin needs to keep the minority and low income students (who tend to do poorly on standardized tests) spread around the district so no one campus gets a poor rating (and the "target groups" don't get the help they need to succeed, which would be more easily accomplished if they attended school near their homes- parental involvement is the single most important indicator of student success). Its a shell game designed to justify the bloated budgets and salaries in the CSISD admin at the cost of the students' needs.
Wicked Good Ag
When you have a school district with growth like CSISD has had changes have to be made. People think it is personal if they get adjusted. We bought our house when there was only one HS but we knew a potential second school was coming. If we move it will be for an extra bedroom and we won't be worried about school zoning because Consol and CSHS and I imagine the third high school will be top notch.
I would imagine if you made a line in two or three years the line would be anything north of Barron would be consol and anything South would be CSHS. Not to mention east and west which are growing as well
DFWag84
Another reason for rezoning is caused by the people selling their houses and moving to the west side.
This time around it may be too costly to chase attendance zones.

02skiag
AG
The demographic issue is not going to change. May as well accept it and move on. The real issue is the last go around they got the overall numbers wrong, along with the growth projections. At this point its about fixing the numbers while not disturbing the demographic "spread" already in place. That only leaves neighborhoods south of Consol.

If anyone believes the school board would ever not try to make demographics similar you are fooling yourself. It's just not going to happen, complain all you want.
AggieMom_38
Vulcan said:

CSISD Administration, and CSISD School Board, please stop making your problems our students problems. Pause what you are doing until you have a plan that does not continually cause existing students to be rezoned. Communicate that intention WELL prior to it's implementation, and plan accordingly so your schools can be properly sized and ready once and for all. Future students to future schools, existing students to existing schools. Figure it out for the students, because you work for them.

Vulcan,

I request that you send your post to the CSISD School Board and Dr. Ealy ASAP. Maybe to all the media outlets in town (although the news media seems to just report not examine/investigate). You are absolutely right on with this perspective. Thank you!

I feel like your post and the questions around "why the district is pushing kids back and forth" (and where is the data showing their educational improvement rather than just making each campus look good) from Coach Dub are key to truly addressing all this.
SARATOGA
Quote:

You are so eager to spend money then you go buy the land and donate it.

I'm willing to pay for my fair share of an increased tax rate to solve a community problem. You should be too. If you don't have kids, then you probably don't care about anything but money.

My primary issue is that there are "FOUR" plans, and in all of them my kid drives PAST one school to attend another.

SARATOGA

Option 3 is the "closest" to correct.....with these changes....

https://1.cdn.edl.io/28RaoIUKHAdxq4D4a8B3VSfSSJpkTwhpmbWjC1vCNeIxari0.pdf

1) Push CSHS line over to Hwy 6 between Graham and WDF
2) Everything South of WDF East of Hwy 6 goes to CSHS
3) Stop with the Frankenstein carve out garbage for kids in the north clearly closer to Consol. Everything North of the Graham line goes to AMCHS.

How do the numbers look if we do that ?

I'll wait here for the school board coup where I'm elected supreme leader.

Start looking for land in the south and east parts of town. Further down than you think.

Oogway
I have children, some of whom are in CSISD and also have a graduate. Our family has been rezoned multiple times over the years. We have voted for bond proposals and eventually would vote for one again. BUT NOT NOW.

We have paid our share of taxes and continue to do so. We volunteer in the schools and continue to do so. We contribute to BOTH hs booster clubs and fundraisers as well as the education foundation. But if you are dead set on doing this bond now then no, it doesn't have our family's support.

The demographic issue is important. I am not going to change my mind on that. My oldest was just starting school when they began to implement some of the composition changes and it was an adjustment for the community then and some of those public forums were extremely heated. There were a lot of public forums and some folks were as passionate about their views as people are now. The benefits were not always measurable, but if it goes back to the way it was before, then the District will be moving backward instead of forward.
Vulcan
That's my point though, that the CSISD leadership is placing their own numbers problems squarely on the backs of the students. By NOT asking for money, they have done so without due diligence. So a PAUSE on these proceedings should be in effect until they have explored all their options.
Stupe
S
Yep.
AggieMom_38
Thinking about this more, I recall from the most recent school board election on the topic of rezoning that one candidate (the one that won) was being framed as more pro-rezoning (& rezoning frequently) but that she adamantly took issue with that. I went back to her campaign Facebook page, and cut & paste here: "From my conversations with current school board members and administration and understanding of discussions at the school board workshops, I do NOT foresee College Station ISD going through that process again for grades 5-12 anytime soon. All other options would be exhausted before the boundary lines adjusted."

I know she is only one board member (although did she not really talk to the others to gain her insights) and I understand things change from campaign promises to now (and perhaps by "anytime soon" she/the board meant not in the next 2-3 months), but you would think they would at least examine other options if not "exhaust" other options.
Coach Dub
Oogway said:

The benefits were not always measurable, but if it goes back to the way it was before, then the District will be moving backward instead of forward.

Please elaborate and include more than touchy-feely, "its for the children" opinions.

This district wastes way too much money on things that have, at best, zero effect on the educational success of our kids.
Rexter
The schools should be built to accommodate more students, and when overall capacity reaches 90%, its time to start building another one.
viejo
Full disclosure, I don't really have a dog in this fight, as my neighborhood won't change in any of the zoning options.

With that said, I'm not sure what all the concern is. It's not like this is Houston and we're busing kids across a major metropolitan area. We're talking about less than double digit miles in difference. I'm about a mile from one high school, and 4 miles from the other. If there were a major difference in the academic experience, I might feel differently. The fact is there isn't much of a difference between the two high schools academically.

Since so few kids actually walk to school to begin with, someone educate me on what the REAL issue is.
Stupe
S
Classroom size is the issue for changing attendance zones.

Booster club money and demographic balance are the issues for how they are going to change the zones.
Oogway
This was discussed at length in threads related to the last rezoning. Some parents pointed to parental involvement as critical (which as Stupe, I believe, has mentioned is related to proximity) while others argued that for a good number of low SES students, the teacher and school serves in loco parentis and therefore overwhelms a staff that cannot meet their needs when the numbers are too high.

Rather than rehash it all again, I will post the link: [url] https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2740373/4#discussion[/url] and you can read it if you wish. It is basically the same arguments that are still going on in this thread. There was another thread that is older that debated the merits of comparable composition complete with studies but having gone through these changes in the District over time with my own children I maintain it is what has kept the schools better than other districts.

It's not like it's going to change your mind or anything. However, if you think the District is wasting money, be sure and contact Mr. Martindale at the Administration offices and let him know how you feel and what needs to be cut.

lost my dog
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

I'm willing to pay for my fair share of an increased tax rate to solve a community problem. You should be too. If you don't have kids, then you probably don't care about anything but money.

My primary issue is that there are "FOUR" plans, and in all of them my kid drives PAST one school to attend another.

Serious question - why is it so bad your kid drives past one school to attend another? Both high schools are good. Why does the drive matter?
veritas47
Referencing the official data from the Texas Education Agency, CSISD had the following percent pass rate on the STAAR Test:
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker
---------------STAAR ---------------
% AT LEVEL II SATISFACTORY STANDARD
29. African American 56
30. Hispanic 74
31. White 90
32. American Indian 80
33. Asian 95
34. Pacific Islander 100
35. Two or More Races 79
36. Economically Disadvantaged 64

Looking at the African American and Econ Disadvantaged %, I would hope this isn't considered success.

BTW, lowly Bryan ISD, with more than twice the percentage of African American and Economically Disadvantaged students, was within 6% on the pass rate for both demographics, despite spending MUCH less on busing and related rezoning costs.

As was referenced by previous posters, CSISD is NOT pursuing the demographic rezoning to improve the education of our students. It is done so the admin can con the sheeple into believing that CSISD is the best district in the Brazos Valley (that award goes to Mumford), and cheat the state's school evaluation system.

The solution referenced in the old threads of keeping kids near home and investing all the money WASTED on busing and annual rezoning in attracting top teachers to the neighborhood schools populated by the low performing demographics is the one that will actually give these low-performers the best chance at success in college or the workplace. By spreading them out, is CSISD actually revealing its true priorities?
KaneIsAble
AG
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
yes
scs01
lost my dog said:

SARATOGA said:

Quote:

Serious question - why is it so bad your kid drives past one school to attend another? Both high schools are good. Why does the drive matter?
Yeah, I've heard that question a lot--somebody says, hey, I don't want my kids to have to go to school on the other side of town, and the reply is, but the schools are excellent! Seems like a non-sequitir response to me, but I guess it's a reasonable question.

Some reasons:

For some of the neighborhoods proposed to move, bus schedules are already challenging. One lady at the forums pointed out that her kid was already on the bus 2 1/4 hours per day. And, that's an improvement over what it was a year ago. That impacts time for homework, ability to get kids to normal after-school activities that aren't located at school on time, time for sleep, time for extracurriculars, family time, etc. Adding anything to that travel time isn't welcome. Because bus routes go to multiple schools (intermediate/middle/high), spreading kids out to schools farther away also means the time added to the bus route could be more than just the difference in drive time from one school to another.

For many of us, it isn't a matter of one kid driving past a school, it's a question of living on one side of town while juggling several kids potentially spread out all the way to the other side of town. In some scenarios the board looked at last time with 5-12 rezoning, that had us with kids at elementary school close by, high school at AMCHS (which is double the travel time roughly compared to CSHS), and intermediate/middle schools way on the other side of town (my neighborhood is about as far from Oakwood as you can get in town; it's also about double the travel time as compared to Pecan Trail). The idea of dealing with after-school activities (and before school, like 6:30 a.m. middle school cross country practice--moving to schools across town would add 20-25 minutes to a round trip to get the kid there...) in that situation with already-challenging bus schedules was unappetizing to say the least. This is not quite as much of an issue when considering just high school rezoning, but it definitely still comes into play.

Finally, traffic is not getting easier to navigate in town. The board has emphasized that we're now a medium-sized district. That's because we're also a medium-sized town, which has led to growing pains on the roads that will also make all of these issues a little more challenging. For example, the normal route for lots of us to AMCHS will soon have an additional light at the new HEB--no added distance, but definitely added time.

So, not just one factor--there are multiple factors at play here. Add them up, and you get a very different picture than just driving a few more minutes past one school to another.
LOYAL AG
AG
lost my dog said:

SARATOGA said:

Quote:

Forgive the assumption that may be entirely incorrect but you sound like someone who doesn't have children driving. Both of my kids are good drivers and it's still an unnerving experience. My daughter is a sophomore at CSHS and her schedule is absolutely chaotic with extracurricular activities keeping her late 3-4 days per week in addition to studying with friends, etc. She routinely gets home late and leaves early, several days per week. Adding another 10 minutes to each direction doesn't sound like a lot but it's 10 more minutes at the end of a long day for an inexperienced driver. That doesn't even consider that I pay for her gas so she doesn't have to have a job while getting all A's and participating in band, Student Council, doing AVP, etc.

The bottom line is that my daughter driving past CSHS is a colossal waste of my money and her time, neither of which I'm keen on giving away just so some bureaucrat can feel better about the demographics of the district.
Oogway
If that is truly how you feel, then make the dividing line Barron Road, like Saratoga suggested. Everything north of that goes north. Live within a block but on the north side, too bad. (That is what happened to parents who lived over by the "grass streets" when CSMS rezoned a long time ago, instead of crossing the street and walking, they got bussed to AMCHS); I loved the response by a committee member when those parents complained-"they're just mad cause they can't afford to move"). Southgate Village, mobile home parks west of the tracks, Windsor Pointe, etc-all Consol. (That goes for elementary too). No bussing necessary. Since there are large #'s of students in the Creekview and surrounding neighborhoods, should address capacity issues. Pebble Creek can use Fitch and get to CSHS.

But no cut outs and sending south, no transferring Consol-zoned teachers' children to southern schools, no sports transfers for CATE programs, and no bond issue until at least 2020/2021.

Now your child won't have to drive the extra distance.
Stupe
S
02skiag
AG
veritas47 said:

Referencing the official data from the Texas Education Agency, CSISD had the following percent pass rate on the STAAR Test:
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker
---------------STAAR ---------------
% AT LEVEL II SATISFACTORY STANDARD
29. African American 56
30. Hispanic 74
31. White 90
32. American Indian 80
33. Asian 95
34. Pacific Islander 100
35. Two or More Races 79
36. Economically Disadvantaged 64

Looking at the African American and Econ Disadvantaged %, I would hope this isn't considered success.

BTW, lowly Bryan ISD, with more than twice the percentage of African American and Economically Disadvantaged students, was within 6% on the pass rate for both demographics, despite spending MUCH less on busing and related rezoning costs.

As was referenced by previous posters, CSISD is NOT pursuing the demographic rezoning to improve the education of our students. It is done so the admin can con the sheeple into believing that CSISD is the best district in the Brazos Valley (that award goes to Mumford), and cheat the state's school evaluation system.

The solution referenced in the old threads of keeping kids near home and investing all the money WASTED on busing and annual rezoning in attracting top teachers to the neighborhood schools populated by the low performing demographics is the one that will actually give these low-performers the best chance at success in college or the workplace. By spreading them out, is CSISD actually revealing its true priorities?

That is an extremely cynical take on the situation. So you are saying we should allow allow SES to attend a single school to "show our true colors"? Why would you want to burden a single school like that? Why would you want to burden all the students in that one school with that? It's not just test scores, it's behavior, atmosphere, etc. Putting all at risk students together creates an enabling atmosphere as well. I simply don't get your take at all, spreading out SES seems extremely obvious to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.